• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

I think the problem with the medic health regen is it's weaker as you're at lower health, and stronger at higher health. It's always the same speed, but at low health it'll be 1-2 health per second and it goes up to 3 health if you're basically still at white health.

and yeah, you can knock away stickies with guns and stuff, but only if you get a direct hit on them. and usually they don't move far enough.

Icy

Banned
fallengorn said:
You can already move sticky grenades out of the way by grenade or maybe a wrench.

The more I play TF2, the more I think it's fine as is... the only except being the pyro. And I guess they are going ahead and tweaking him.

I've used a heavy and sniper and shot them out of the way or moved them.

Pyro should be able to detonate them off with his flame.

My thoughts after more play.

HW when shooting should have a slower turning speed
Scout scattercannon damage seriously needs to be tuned down a little.
Pyro a bit more fire length + up their health to 200 same as soldier.

Pyro changes = yay to me. My favourite class but I do much better as demo or soldier. Still nothing is more fun that suicide running to a group of people capturing a point and watch them run away. I think 6 is my record for onfire at once :lol

Talamius

fallengorn said:
The more I play TF2, the more I think it's fine as is... the only except being the pyro. And I guess they are going ahead and tweaking him.

I agree here, and nailing 8 out of 9 classes on the first release is to be commended.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hooker said:
Zanboo: "Seriously. The difference between 30 and 50 is negligible." - that's a 66% increase in latency, and definitly noticable.
You're absolutely right. When I'm forced to play with 30ms instead of my usual 5ms, that's a 600% increase in latency, and it's absolutely unbearable.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Hitokage said:
You're absolutely right. When I'm forced to play with 30ms instead of my usual 5ms, that's a 600% increase in latency, and it's absolutely unbearable.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Personally I think HW is underpowered. Given how fast everyone is, and how the environments are set up, its easy as hell to escape one with taking only minor damage. Its hard to kill anything that isnt wide in the open because of this, and the shit accuracy of the gun doesnt help either. In TFC HWG were actually decent at range, it was hard to snipe one aiming at you because you kept getting hit by the bullets. In TF2 you have plenty of time to aim and shoot if a HW is firing at you from across the map (say from sniper roost to roost on 2fort)

HW Guys just arent feared any more. Proof of this is the fact that I havent heard the term "Heavy Weapon Gay" ONCE since TF2 launched.

Icy

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:
Personally I think HW is underpowered. Given how fast everyone is, and how the environments are set up, its easy as hell to escape one with taking only minor damage. Its hard to kill anything that isnt wide in the open because of this, and the shit accuracy of the gun doesnt help either. In TFC HWG were actually decent at range, it was hard to snipe one aiming at you because you kept getting hit by the bullets. In TF2 you have plenty of time to aim and shoot if a HW is firing at you from across the map (say from sniper roost to roost on 2fort)

HW Guys just arent feared any more. Proof of this is the fact that I havent heard the term "Heavy Weapon Gay" ONCE since TF2 launched.

Well the HW in TFC/TF 1.5 weren't as big in scale as the hw in TF2. Makes them easier to hit. They are meant to be a slow moving, high dmg class.

MrNibbles

Banned
I haven't noticed Medics healing themselves automatically. I'll have to check next time I'm a medic. Would still be cool to have a injection ability of some sort. Increase speed temporarily? Boost max health temporarily? I just dislike playing a class with no alternate ability. Seems like a wasted opportunity. (Yes, I know, it's for balance issues, and it works out great.)

Yeah, you can NUDGE the grenades, but I think they should explode / disappear when directly shot at. I thought they did at once point.

Sentries can either be worthless or unstoppable, depending on the map and placement.
On certain maps, it can be downright infuriating. The servers I play on (when the GAF server is empty) always seem to have 3 or 4 sentries piled on top of each other at a good choke point.

4 sentries with 4 dispensers with 4 engineers just holding the mouse button to swing the wrench. If you get in as a cloaked spy, you have to dodge blindly swung wrenches, and you can take out one or two things maybe. If you get in as a disguised (not cloaked) spy, you'll be killed because the engineers instinctively wrench anyone who gets near a sentry or dispenser.

Spies would be much more useful if FF was on. The current trend (that I've seen) is to shoot everybody you see. Enemy? KILL! Ally? MUST BE A SPY!

It would be great if, as a Spy, you could disguise yourself as a particular enemy.
Like, I disguise myself not as a red Scout, but as [NeoGaf]LolzKiller, who is a red Scout.
Would be a cool reward for successful back stab.

Getting to know the other team is great as a Spy, yeah. But only if the other team plays as a team. If it's just a bunch of "nubs", as they say, everyone shoots everyone.

I guess that's the benefit of sticking with a single server / having a community server.
Also, I noticed we only have one server now, what's up with that?
I've got hosting and am looking into setting up HLDS on it. Don't know if my hosting package allows for that, but it should. I pay enough god damned money for it.

Icy, if I get the ok from my host to set up HLDS, can I bug you about random setup questions? I know how to set up a server, and am, in fact, a computer scientist. However, Steam, by all accounts, is less than perfect, and you've got a setup/rotation that works. If I get this set up, it would be 24/7 and GAFtastic.

Edit - Yeah, I almost said I wanted HW to have a tighter shot and not have it spread so much. But then I remembered TFC. It's a good change I think. They're not meant to be a long range class.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Suburban Cowboy said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there. I think the effort to balance TF classes was taken just a smidgen too far in TF2. You can never achieve perfection with these sort of things, but I think TFC has reached an optimal sweet spot in this regard. I think TF2 should follow that template more closely.

Talamius

Bugfix update literally just released:

September 27, 2007

Changes/Additions
Added Team Fortress 2 events and cameras to SourceTV

Bug fixes
Fixed memory fragmentation crash
Fixed prediction error that caused jittery sticky bomb launcher behavior
Fixed rare crash when creating muzzleflashes

Cryect

Icy said:
Spy could tag someone with a remote cam and screens in the base spawn could show it.. cool idea.. Definitely doable with a mod.

While Remote Cams sound cool they rarely get much usage from my experience in developing Weapons Factory (basically what they got used as was C4 for blowing up sentry guns instead). Now I think they would have gotten more usage if you had an additional window on your screen for the camera (which was something I wanted to do with Unreal Tournament engine but kinda slipped out of modding FPS from burnt out at the time). The only issue is getting information on where your opponents are is normally not too hard with a quick look around a corner and back around making cameras kinda pointless.

BTW Spies get caught more because they can't shoot their weapons not because you can shoot everyone (if I shoot my gun and the other player doesn't it I will likely keep shooting at him especially if he starts acting funny instead of just taking the shot). Showing you can shoot your gun is more the way to say I'm not a spy so players who don't stick out.

Talamius said:

September 27, 2007

Changes/Additions

Bug fixes

Hooray!

saelz8

I just looked at the server list and there not only 28 player servers, there are 32 player servers!

32 players will be absolute madness!

saelz8

4t3u5v.jpg

Heavy chaingun will blow stickybombs away. Like move them quite far away from where they're at. And of course, you can always use a demo man to sit a stickybomb in the middle and detonate it and scatter them away as well.

Evlar

Banned
Quellex said:
I just looked at the server list and there not only 28 player servers, there are 32 player servers!

They're hacking the server code to get it. Supposedly breaks a few things here and there.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Blue Geezer said:
we need to get a EU Gaf list going for TF2 as i feel we are seriously under represented....

on the server most were public's who joined the old gaf EU server :(

atm the people i know who are 100% gaf AND EU is me, cibo and vargtimmen. surely there must be more out there i have missed!

Icy how did the EU people who joined to the US server do? score wise i mean, were they forced to be support classes like engineer or medic?

EU here.

Things I've learned from going thru the 3 commentary maps.

There are clocks in the spawn room and they show the current time on them.
The trains in well can be seen WAY WAY back before they finally get to the actual map.
Soldiers can get on the roof of sector B on gravelpit.

btw I wouldn't mind seeing a EU GAF group, would be good for arranging playtimes and crap and let us know who on gaf is actually eu.

saelz8

The Sphinx said:
They're hacking the server code to get it. Supposedly breaks a few things here and there.
Ah, I see. I should have figured.

Talamius said:

September 27, 2007

Changes/Additions

Bug fixes
Good stuff, I noticed that all the time.

Icy

Banned
MrNibbles said:
I guess that's the benefit of sticking with a single server / having a community server.
Also, I noticed we only have one server now, what's up with that?
I've got hosting and am looking into setting up HLDS on it. Don't know if my hosting package allows for that, but it should. I pay enough god damned money for it.

Icy, if I get the ok from my host to set up HLDS, can I bug you about random setup questions? I know how to set up a server, and am, in fact, a computer scientist. However, Steam, by all accounts, is less than perfect, and you've got a setup/rotation that works. If I get this set up, it would be 24/7 and GAFtastic.

Edit - Yeah, I almost said I wanted HW to have a tighter shot and not have it spread so much. But then I remembered TFC. It's a good change I think. They're not meant to be a long range class.

We had a US and EU server. Only like 8 people used the EU server, so got rid of it. US Server is 1 hop from the main backbone where it is. 512 FPS with 100 TIC and High CPU Priority. Quite fast and very stable.

Icy

Banned
MrNibbles said:
Dammit - host says no to running a server.

Icy, what host do you use for the GAF server?

My own special hosting sauce. If towards retail the 24 player gaf server keeps staying full, I'll open a 2nd.

Icy

Banned
Quellex said:

Hex editing the binaries to get 32 player server. Servers crash often, especially on end of a round or a map change. Not worth the instability.

Also tonights Gibfest, its nothing but Granary. Too many lazytown haters. Come prepared.

JoeFu said:
I like lazytown :(

Seconded. Though my only play experience was a 4 on 4 late night match the other night. Hitokage was dominating me for awhile, but I capped their last two points in quick succession to steal victory in the end.

Icy

Banned
platypotamus said:
Seconded. Though my only play experience was a 4 on 4 late night match the other night. Hitokage was dominating me for awhile, but I capped their last two points in quick succession to steal victory in the end.

With full 24 people.. generally takes hours due to stalemate.

im getting severe lag and notice this in the console being spammed

'weapons\v_models\v_minigun_heavy.mdl'. Mark bone 'bip_middle_1_L' in model 'player/heavy.mdl' as being used by bone merge in the .qc!

any idea what this means and how to fix it?

I like the structure of Lazytown, but I think a few things need to be fixed:

- respawn timers: I don't think they're dynamic depending on if your team is ahead or behind. They should be.
- the point closest to spawn takes forever to cap. Should take less time since it takes more time for the enemy to get to that point than the other team who can just spawn and pop out.
- respawns: maybe an enclosed area with a door? I feel so naked respawning and all of a sudden people are shooting at me.

BTW, sentries aren't that overpowered and are fairly easy to take out. I've taken them out with only a railgun (or that pistol thing) that the engy has. That thing is fantastic for long range! I think the hitbox on the sentry is bigger than what is visible.

Quellex said:
Valve Announce Pyro To Be Tweaked

While chatting with Team Fortress 2 developer Robin Walker, he let us know, “We’re going to do a Pyro tweak in the next couple of days.”

Specifics of the changes weren’t clear, but when we put it to him that people felt he was comparatively underpowered, Walker diplomatically replied,

“The Pyro doesn’t get lag compensation with the flamethrower in the same way which other characters do for their weaponry, which I think has a really subtle effect on perception, and it gets worse as your net connection gets worse. It’s one of the vagaries of multiplayer. Sometimes you think that what’s going on might not be what’s going on. But this is why we gather lots of data.”

We’re hoping for slightly more range with that flame.

you see? they're watching us... We can complain all we want about "this character being too weak" or "that feature being overpowered", but they have the stats to back it up.

well, anyway, I love the pyro. Although it takes a bit (only a bit) more craftiness atm to rack up the kills compared to other characters.

Daigoro

uh, looks like im on my way out to a friends house to play a current fps game, whos name i will not mention here, for the night.

ill catch up with you lot later.

Icy

Banned
Daigoro said:
uh, looks like im on my way out to a friends house to play a current fps game, whos name i will not mention here, for the night.

ill catch up with you lot later.

your not missing much except for 1 whole side getting pwned.

I'm talking about just after you win a round. For about 10 seconds, it displays the 3 MVPs of the winning team and allows the winning team to frag any of the remaining players on the other team.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I feel like purposely playing real, real bad in the hope that Valve don't nerf my precious demoman to all hell.

Demoman shouldn't be punished because of its retarded popularity. Scouts and Pyros are the only ones who really have issues (nerf/buff respectively). And even then it's just minor things.

I just noticed today, but pipe bombs (demo) are stronger than rockets arent they? It takes more than a direct shot with a rocket to kill a scout yet I get 1 shot with pipe bombs all the time as various classes. I think rockets are harder to aim personally...

also, why havent there been any more character trailers since the one for Engineer?

Nobody's done any numbercrafting crap yet for damage numbers and stuff. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if grenades are stronger than rockets. And rockets are significantly easier to aim, especially since you don't even have to go for direct hits.

And the Engineer video was only like 2 weeks ago. Give them time. It was months between the HWG and soldier and like a month or two between the soldier and the engineer.

firex

the splash on both of those is weaksauce. grenades have a way smaller splash too. I've literally been like 2-3 steps away from a grenade and taken no damage.

I still think some of the cheesy setup time sticky trapping has to be nerfed on TC maps, but that's just a simple extending of the area where stickies bounce around and don't stick so 3-4 demos can't just wall off a choke point. I can't even remember the name of the map, but it's the one that starts out with blu in a mine and they can either take a low road to the right or an exit to the left. That (and the other TC map) is a bit ridiculous IMO, but it's easy to fix without nerfing the actual demoman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom