• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
MutFox said:
GG people, LazyTown officially sucks they should just call it SniperTown...
Once the other team forts up the middle cap point it's EXTREMELY hard to do anything but prolong the match.

Aaron

nakedsushi said:
- respawns: maybe an enclosed area with a door? I feel so naked respawning and all of a sudden people are shooting at me.
It would be fitting of the game's style if you respawned on the john, and opened up the bathroom stall door to get back into the action.

I've come to the conclusion that anyone complaining about class imbalance that doesn't have the head of the class achievement is just not playing right.

The Scout needs a bit more 'scatter' in their scatter gun (maybe to the same extent a heavy has) and that's about it. I actually think Pyros are mostly fine, maybe get rid of 'any pickup is insta heal flames'. That's about it.

Spies complaining about not being good enough to take out turret farms? Lolwhut?
Play as an engy against some good spies. And cry how quickly all your hard work and metal gathering is obliterated.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
MrNyarlathotep said:
I've come to the conclusion that anyone complaining about class imbalance that doesn't have the head of the class achievement is just not playing right.
Which I have, mind you.

I maintain that the maximum damage given from the flamethrower needs to be significantly higher, but with generally the same dropoff curve as it is now after physical contact range. Something is broken when you're better off just using the axe.

The complaints about the pyro being underpowered are justified by the fact that pyro tweaks are supposed to be coming within the next couple of days. I enjoy playing as the pyro, but most of the time he just really isn't very good against people who aren't stupid. I love going up against pyros.

CrookedRain said:
The complaints about the pyro being underpowered are justified by the fact that pyro tweaks are supposed to be coming within the next couple of days. I enjoy playing as the pyro, but most of the time he just really isn't very good against people who aren't stupid. I love going up against pyros.
Pyro > HWG imo

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Suburban Cowboy said:
Pyro > HWG imo
HWGs are managable if you've got cover and some wits about you. They're pretty much living sentries, but will die just the same when fed enough rockets.

...unless they have a medic with an uber active, then the only thing to do is hide and wait for it to wear off.

Hitokage said:
HWGs are managable if you've got cover and some wits about you. They're pretty much living sentries, but will die just the same when fed enough rockets.

...unless they have a medic with an uber active, then the only thing to do is hide and wait for it to wear off.
thats what im saying. Pyros are much scarier than HW. Momentary contact with a Pyro can leave you with half heath, if not less, where as HW are easy as hell to evade

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Suburban Cowboy said:
thats what im saying. Pyros are much scarier than HW. Momentary contact with a Pyro can leave you with half heath, if not less, where as HW are easy as hell to evade
I would argue that Pyros are more managable than HWGs are. :p

HWG + Medic are really something to be feared. They are really hard to kill. And holy crap is the HWG hilarious to watch. I was healing my friend for 2 maps and his animations really crack me up. Just thinking about the HWG beating people down with his fists makes me laugh.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CrookedRain said:
HWG + Medic are really something to be feared. They are really hard to kill. And holy crap is the HWG hilarious to watch. I was healing my friend for 2 maps and his animations really crack me up. Just thinking about the HWG beating people down with his fists makes me laugh.
Tip since you seem to play medic a lot... watch your back. It only takes one soldier to flank the pair, kill the medic, then kill the HWG.

Hitokage said:
Tip since you seem to play medic a lot... watch your back. It only takes one soldier to flank the pair, kill the medic, then kill the HWG.

Or a pyro. I'm amazed the amount of times I've snuck up behind a medic/hw combo torch the medic and he doesn't know what to do, just lets me burn him as he moves around a bit. The HW usually doesn't notice this happen, so once the medic is done I go to him, although HW turn rather fast so thats a 50/50 experience.

Btw man demoman is awesome, really isn't that hard to get a 4:1 kill ratio, especially on dustbowl. Engineers have a habit of building a load of turrets at the last control point at the far side near the spawn area. Demoman can hit them and the short path to spawn from the cover of the corner of the building infront of the capture point.

Jenga

Banned
Hitokage said:

Being stealthy with HWG pays off a lot. In Dustbowl, I managed to come up behind the Blu team and pretty much killed the entire team camping in the corner.

Hitokage said:
I would argue that Pyros are more managable than HWGs are. :p

Agreed, against a pyro (without medic support of course) I know I can just rush in, even as an engineer and have a good chance of killing him, and still be able to find health to put out the fire. Taking down a HWG and avoiding his chaingun takes a little more effort.

1-D_FTW

I don't really enjoy the Pyro much anymore either.

It really does need to have quicker kills if you're right on top of somebody. It seems once a lot of people started playing him, the element of surprise was lost and people learned how to quickly kill him (they no longer panicked in the chaos.)

Considering the low health and complete lack of ranged combat, it's gotta have some point to play. People just calmly turn around now and kill you (at the one thing your character is supposed to do.)

SonnyBoy

Guys, I'm interested in this game and I'm about to read some of the links on the 1st page. I've never played this before. Can you guys give me some insight into the game? What do you like about it? What is the gameplay like?

Are a few 360 owners getting this?

JoeFu

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
I finally gave in, Looks like Ill be joining you guys soon :D

Nice.

I joined a few days ago and I'm hooked forever.

Just wondering, is valve going add anything else for the final release? Like new maps or something?

"Just wondering, is valve going add anything else for the final release? Like new maps or something?"

They've said new maps will be coming shortly after release.

JoeFu

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Just wondering, is valve going add anything else for the final release? Like new maps or something?"

They've said new maps will be coming shortly after release.

Awesome.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Not only that but Valve has a history of supporting games for ages, with new maps and such. I can't wait :)

How come there aren't more GAF TF2 matches scheduled on the page though?

Dave Long

Banned
I'm finding that you need to use the shotgun as the HWG a lot more often than people tend to do. If you're watching for those guys trying to sneak up on your HWG/Medic pairing, you can often take them out quicker with shotgun blasts at close range than you can line them up with the chaingun.

I think a lot of people get mesmerized by the chaingun sound and forget that they have that shotgun too. It's not always best to be standing there throwing lead and moving slow. You sometimes have to move quicker and still be able to fire a gun.

I really need to learn to watch my back more :( Now that everybody is so good, I am constantly being snuck up on and stabbed or clubbed to death...sometimes even by a medic :(

Oh well, it's still fun as hell and I'll be on tonight.

Davidion

Dave Long said:
I'm finding that you need to use the shotgun as the HWG a lot more often than people tend to do. If you're watching for those guys trying to sneak up on your HWG/Medic pairing, you can often take them out quicker with shotgun blasts at close range than you can line them up with the chaingun.

I think a lot of people get mesmerized by the chaingun sound and forget that they have that shotgun too. It's not always best to be standing there throwing lead and moving slow. You sometimes have to move quicker and still be able to fire a gun.

Let's not forget you also get past the slowdown from the chaingun firing when you use a shotgun instead.

A good HWG knows how to be versatile with his weapons but most who play the class suffers from the exact same chaingun fixation that you mention (like in the 99% percentile from what I've seen:lol).

Pimpbaa

omgimaninja said:
I really need to learn to watch my back more :( Now that everybody is so good, I am constantly being snuck up on and stabbed or clubbed to death...sometimes even by a medic :(

Oh well, it's still fun as hell and I'll be on tonight.

It's ok, no one is gonna stab you....<STAB!>

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Dave Long said:

Speaking of HWG and shotgun, I saw a guy playing as HWG running around only with the shotgun, thought that was an interesting idea. :lol (He didn't do too well)

And also, 27.6 hours played in 5 days (5.52 hours a day!). My nick is Cell by the way.

Daigoro

snack said:
I know this is blasphemy to PC players, but God I can't wait for the Orange Box.

EDIT: I would play it on the PC...if I had a PC.

i dont think anyone thnks that the 360 version is blasphemous. using a 360 pad on the PC version on the other hand... :lol

im going to reccomend my 360 owning, non pc gaming friends get Orange Box for sure.

Joe Molotov

Teknopathetic said:
Oh man. The Bonesaw. Such a brutal weapon.

Haha, oh yeah. I was playing 2Fort last night, and I was on the battlements and this soldier was entering our base. I dropped down behind him and bonesawed him to death before he even knew what hit him.

Defcon

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Haha, oh yeah. I was playing 2Fort last night, and I was on the battlements and this soldier was entering our base. I dropped down behind him and bonesawed him to death before he even knew what hit him.

I think that soldier was me. :(

JoeFu

Banned
Dave Long said:

I think a lot of people don't use their second weapons enough.

I like the scout, but I'm not that good with the shotgun, so usually I'll run around with a pistol until I confront someone. A lot easier to hit someone further away with the pistol, but I don't see enough scouts using it.

Dave Long

Banned
trh said:
Speaking of HWG and shotgun, I saw a guy playing as HWG running around only with the shotgun, thought that was an interesting idea. :lol (He didn't do too well)

And also, 27.6 hours played in 5 days (5.52 hours a day!). My nick is Cell by the way.
Depends on the player. :)

Seriously though, the HWG has the most health. You can take a lot more hits before you go down when you're in his shoes. So using the shotgun at relatively close range is a pretty viable tactic, because anything other than a Pyro or another HWG up close is probably going to be dead before you run out of health even if they hit you a couple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom