• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegus

I can easily play TF2 at about 120 and still come out well on the score tables. My usual ping is about 18-30 though on a UK server.

Dave Long

Banned
Dudes, on dial-up, anything below 300 was considered a LPB in the Quake years.

You really don't know how good you have it these days.

Icy

Banned
Dave Long said:

I can play on international servers around the 150 range and the games are still playable. Anything beyond that is kinda pushing it.

Ferrio

Banned
Dave Long said:

Ya, it's quite insane. What I find really funny is people getting kicked outta Warcraft 3 games because they have pings higher than 100.

JoeFu

Banned
Only server I could connect to after the update had ping around 250-400, and I was still playing.

I really don't care that much about it unless its like teleporting lag.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Red Blaster said:
Derr.. I meant that after playing on 400 playing on 100 seemed almost perfect.
Although I just found finally a good Israeli server and I can play on 15 and that's really incomparable to 100.

Hooker

Don't lecture me about pings, I know bloody well how awful it used to be. Hell, I still have screenshots from that time!

1337_italy.jpg

And you know what, times change! Pings above 50 with a 20/1 ADSL line is NOT acceptable. Especially in fast games where the gameplay suffers from the latency (grenades have a delay when shooting)

Zanboo: "Seriously. The difference between 30 and 50 is negligible." - that's a 66% increase in latency, and definitly noticable.

I had great games yesterday with some gaffers on another server while the official gaf one was down. One thing that I think XBL has over PC gaming is voice communication. Everyone's Talky McTalkpants on XBL, even when it's a bad thing. On PC, it's so quiet. More people need to be using their mics!

Hooker

You're right about that. I'm constantly talking, giving orders. Or saying 'nice going chaps'. And of course, the TeamSpeak channel with my buddies.

Not too many follow my example :(

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Hooker said:
Zanboo: "Seriously. The difference between 30 and 50 is negligible." - that's a 66% increase in latency, and definitly noticable.

Going between 30 and 50, is too small a gap to make much of a difference at all. The only time it would or at least should be noticable in that case is if you have other factors on your machine, ie: other lag (hardware latency, etc.)
Source's interpolation, extrapolation, slerping, and prediction all counter the difference that you might see. Once you go beyond the threshold where these methods are too far out of sync, then you will notice it. This is well beyond the 30-50 ping range.
The game compensates for x number of movement snapshots, and until you start dropping them, or going too far behind them, it does a very good job of keeping track of where everyone is locally.
Also, one thing to note is that erratic movements also counter interpolation (quick mouse movements, constant direction changes, etc.)

my mic cord is not long enough or i would be using it, need to get an extension or newer mic. Im actually surprised how many people talk in this game, usually PC games are silent as can be.

Icy

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
my mic cord is not long enough or i would be using it, need to get an extension or newer mic. Im actually surprised how many people talk in this game, usually PC games are silent as can be.

I don't talk either./ But most popular CS: Source servers were full of text chatter and voice chat.

Icy

Banned
Tonight's Event....

NeoGAF LazyTown 300 - Gibfest 2007 :lol

I'll reset the server at 0830 pm est or so with the neogaf2k7 password

At 9 PM, I'll turn on LazyTown

Coen

I'm starting to dislike 2fort. Teams usually have around three turrets up at their stairway and it's really hard to get past those, impossible as anything but a spy. And with resupply close to the stairway, those turrets are up in no time.

Coen said:
I'm starting to dislike 2fort. Teams usually have around three turrets up at their stairway and it's really hard to get past those, impossible as anything but a spy. And with resupply close to the stairway, those turrets are up in no time.
Say it with me : Team Work.

Talamius

WhatRuOn said:
Demo is the solution to all the worlds problems.

Demos are the jack of all trades.

-Great on defense with stickybombs, can fire around corners, can take a few hits before dropping.
-Great on offense, demo/medic combo is superior to heavy/medic combo IMO. Can smack down turrets, defenders, has more mobility than the HWguy, no weapon spread, and is the only class that can fire around corners.

Demoman = God in TF2

Dave Long

Banned
Talamius said:
Demos are the jack of all trades.

-Great on defense with stickybombs, can fire around corners, can take a few hits before dropping.
-Great on offense, demo/medic combo is superior to heavy/medic combo IMO. Can smack down turrets, defenders, has more mobility than the HWguy, no weapon spread, and is the only class that can fire around corners.

Demoman = God in TF2
I'm a bigtime Demoman, but the Heavy/Medic combo is better. The Heavy can take so much more punishment while being healed. A demoman can be taken out by a couple or three rockets in a row even while being healed. There is no comparison there.

Also, Heavies take down sentries fast. Guys who play Heavy just don't seem to target them, and they should.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Blue Geezer said:
i think now with ff on i can see why pyro has to be offense...
The last update was to nullify any servers with ff on. Valve never intended TF2 to be played with ff on, so now all games are ff off.

artist

Banned
Icy said:
Tonight's Event....

See you all there!

Steam ID: wachie

edit: Does anyone know the different levels for Steam Rating? Right now I'm at shooting blanks .. :lol

Jenga

Banned
Dave Long said:
I'm a bigtime Demoman, but the Heavy/Medic combo is better. The Heavy can take so much more punishment while being healed. A demoman can be taken out by a couple or three rockets in a row even while being healed. There is no comparison there.

Also, Heavies take down sentries fast. Guys who play Heavy just don't seem to target them, and they should.
Because they push uber heavies back? Whenever I do a charge like in Dustbowl, I always get stopped by a pesky sentry constantly pushing me back, while the chaingun isn't accurate enough to even destroy it by the time uber wears off. This is kinda why I prefer the demoman/medic or soldier/medic combo.

JoeFu

Banned
I have no idea how to use a Demo, but I love being a heavy. My favorite class, you get to stand there guns a blazing the whole time.

I figured I pretty much suck at offense, and I like defending a lot more than attacking.

I'd like to see the Demoman's damage toned down a bit but as a counterbalance, he should be able to carry six nades in the launcher. It's quite annoying when you go around a corner and you encounter a Demoman who kills you with a single lucky grenade.

Talamius

Maybe it's just me but after playing this update Pyro seems to do a little more DoT. Can anyone confirm/deny? Saw quite a few more people burning to death.

Icy

Banned
Talamius said:
Maybe it's just me but after playing this update Pyro seems to do a little more DoT. Can anyone confirm/deny? Saw quite a few more people burning to death.

Just you. And Only You.

Daigoro

Red Blaster said:
Fun times nakedsushi, Javaman, Daigoro and whoever else was there.

yes, ggs last night all. that was fun.

we werent on the gaf server because it wasnt up yet.

ill be on tonight after 10pm EST. see you all then.

MrNibbles

Banned
Icy said:
Tonight's Event....

So 9PM Eastern?

Damn you. I had things to do tonight.
I'm in, though.
(bw_bloodletter on Steam)

Scout - Awesome if you know how to use them. Their shotgun isn't really "lethal" at close range like the description says. Latency will ruin a scout's day more than any other class.

Demo - The fact that every match with setup time starts with sticky bombs blowing up once the gate opens is just annoying. It's going to be the map breaking class with their bouncing grenades. I think the class needs a bit of tweaking - maybe a little slower movement? Maybe some way to clear out the sticky grenades? Other than that, it's going to be the de facto class of TF2. If you suck at Demo, you suck at TF2.

Heavy - Great.

Medic - Great. Ubercharge should build up all the time though, (slowly) so a medic will be more likely to whip out the needly gun when running around corners. Maybe the needle gun could have a secondary ability to heal the medic over time. I've seen so many medics yelling for medics.

Sniper - I would like to have some flexibility in the zooming! Other than that, it's great. Lag is your enemy though.

Pyro - Flamethrower needs to reach just a bit further.

Soldier - Great. Shotgun useless though.

Engineer - Sentries are overpowered. Engineers will just build a sentry and dispenser and swing the wrench nonstop to stop spies. Teleporters need faster recharge time I think. Would be cool if engineers could build communication type devices. Something to jam enemy voice chat in a radius?

Spy - With friendly fire off it sucks being a spy. You can get some good kills in when it's crowded though. It would be cool if Spies could, you know, spy. Maybe (similar to the engineer suggestion above) plant something on a person and spy on their voice chat / team chat. When friendly fire is fixed, watch out.

saelz8

xpogsn.gif

Valve Announce Pyro To Be Tweaked

While chatting with Team Fortress 2 developer Robin Walker, he let us know, “We’re going to do a Pyro tweak in the next couple of days.”

Specifics of the changes weren’t clear, but when we put it to him that people felt he was comparatively underpowered, Walker diplomatically replied,

“The Pyro doesn’t get lag compensation with the flamethrower in the same way which other characters do for their weaponry, which I think has a really subtle effect on perception, and it gets worse as your net connection gets worse. It’s one of the vagaries of multiplayer. Sometimes you think that what’s going on might not be what’s going on. But this is why we gather lots of data.”

We’re hoping for slightly more range with that flame.

RPS

Rock

Icy

Banned
MrNibbles said:
So 9PM Eastern?

Damn you. I had things to do tonight.
I'm in, though.
(bw_bloodletter on Steam)

Scout - Awesome if you know how to use them. Their shotgun isn't really "lethal" at close range like the description says. Latency will ruin a scout's day more than any other class.

Demo - The fact that every match with setup time starts with sticky bombs blowing up once the gate opens is just annoying. It's going to be the map breaking class with their bouncing grenades. I think the class needs a bit of tweaking - maybe a little slower movement? Maybe some way to clear out the sticky grenades? Other than that, it's going to be the de facto class of TF2. If you suck at Demo, you suck at TF2.

Heavy - Great.

Medic - Great. Ubercharge should build up all the time though, (slowly) so a medic will be more likely to whip out the needly gun when running around corners. Maybe the needle gun could have a secondary ability to heal the medic over time. I've seen so many medics yelling for medics.

Sniper - I would like to have some flexibility in the zooming! Other than that, it's great. Lag is your enemy though.

Pyro - Flamethrower needs to reach just a bit further.

Soldier - Great. Shotgun useless though.

Engineer - Sentries are overpowered. Engineers will just build a sentry and dispenser and swing the wrench nonstop to stop spies. Teleporters need faster recharge time I think. Would be cool if engineers could build communication type devices. Something to jam enemy voice chat in a radius?

Spy - With friendly fire off it sucks being a spy. You can get some good kills in when it's crowded though. It would be cool if Spies could, you know, spy. Maybe (similar to the engineer suggestion above) plant something on a person and spy on their voice chat / team chat. When friendly fire is fixed, watch out.

Spy could tag someone with a remote cam and screens in the base spawn could show it.. cool idea.. Definitely doable with a mod.

firex

friendly fire won't come back in at all. And if you think sentries are overpowered, just remember that the weapon you listed as sucky for the soldier is the engineer's primary. Shotguns are actually decent though. not great, but decent. The scout's is way better than the soldier/pyro/engineer shotguns, but that's understandable because of how weak they are as a class. Sentries are actually really easy to take out for nearly half the classes, so I don't think they need to be nerfed. Sentries are like 90% about where you place them, because if they aren't in a good spot then they're worthless. The range on them is short enough that a soldier/demo/sniper all have it easy getting at them unless they're placed really well in a choke point. And if that happens, a spy can just cloak/disguise and sap them, and then kill the engineer or the rest of the team can kill the engineer.

Spies are a lot more cerebral than I first thought. I still stink at them, but they require a lot of map knowledge along with being aware of the class makeup of the other team, and you have to be good at playing head games with the opposing team.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
MrNibbles said:
Maybe some way to clear out the sticky grenades?
You can already move sticky grenades out of the way by grenade or maybe a wrench.

The more I play TF2, the more I think it's fine as is... the only except being the pyro. And I guess they are going ahead and tweaking him.

MrNibbles said:
So 9PM Eastern?

I absolutely disagree with these points, Engineers and spies are the classes I play most and these assessments aren't exactly right.

First of all, if an engineer just whacks at their sentry itll still die. It takes two whacks to undue a sapper, these hits do not heal the sentry. Thus, if an engineer just sits there and repairs his sentry it'll not only be inoperable but it'll also die, no buts about it. IMO Sentries are not the least bit overpowered, they're meant to be strong defensive positions, and are far from impossible to kill. Demos/Soldiers/Spies make short work of them, they can be sniped from faraway range(Pretty sure one fully charged sniper shot is enough to down a sentry...but i have only tried this once, and that sentry may have been damaged). In addition, most classes can still take them on by running in and out of cover while shooting.
But, while sentries piled together makes them difficult to destroy, even for soldiers/demos, a single spy can easily disable all of them long enough so that character's team can maul through them.

Spies are awesome, they really need nothing changed, a big part of being a spy is mixing in with the other team, getting your kills, then sneaking off to cover. A big factor of mixing in with the team is getting to know them, so generally I find that as a spy I absolutely suck at the beginning of matches, and its not until I start to understand the other team and their weaknesses that the kills/destructs really start to add up. Your complaints are pretty vague, but most of the time its not very difficult to take down key targets, ie heavies, engineers, and snipers are pretty much easy pickings. Cloaking is vital to playing the spy, if you're not using it constantly you're practically gimping yourself. Even with FF off I have no problem racking up the destructs/back stabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom