• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Sp00ky's Stream Gear Seized by the Department of Homeland Security

shaowebb

bishoptl said:
Yes. He does.

I love you so hard.

I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't love Team Spooky. The guy goes through hell and high water to provide us with the highest quality streams he can and he does a helluva good job at it. EVO stream was incredible and he covered pretty much everything leading up to it just as well.

He's a big reason this community has grown.

entremet

Things like this make me appreciate the power of the Internet more and more. Hopefully he can recoup the costs of the lost equipment. Fucking, feds.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
bishoptl said:
Yes. He does.
T2LB8.gif

h3ro

I wonder if UltraDavid can help us out with Vic's options of possibly recovering his stuff quicker on the technicality of the missing info on the ticket.

I'm grasping at straws here.

Xater

Just saw this tweet from Jared:

SRK pulled the @TeamSpooky story, claiming that it's "not news." So why am I watching Spooky discuss it on @MLG TV right now? #eSports

https://twitter.com/#!/jaredr/status/118798183617921024

When did SRK become a joke?

h3ro

From MrJared's twitter:
SRK pulled the @TeamSpooky story, claiming that it's "not news." So why am I watching Spooky discuss it on @MLG TV right now? #eSports

Really, SRK?

Edit: Beaten, but it needs to be said again. WTF SRK.

pvpness

diffusionx said:
Just to summarize:

The USA is now a surveillance state. However, there are still, in theory, laws that protect citizens from arbitrary search and seizure. However, the government in its infinite wisdom has determined that a search and seizure when crossing the border into the US isn't arbitrary. Courts have backed this theory.

As cool as team spooky is, this has happened to many more, and has many scary implications. Think of journalists and activists - the government is essentially "waiting" for these people to leave the US and come back, and then it goes through all their shit. The fact that this may disrupt people from going about their business is a feature, not a bug.

Home of the free, land of the brave.
Yeah... I don't think people in this thread really understand the depth of the problem. There may not be additional information coming because Sp00ky may not get any additional information at all.

They don't need a reason. They don't need explanations. They do what they want, end of line.

shaowebb

At this point I hope someone can help Spooky recover his gear. If his twitter pops that officer's name out I think this whole story should start getting flooded at news sites with the name in hopes a station or paper picks it up and goes after a comment fromt he officer. The more public it stays the more likely he'll get his shit back and they won't just sweep it away forever since they already left shit BLANK on the document so they could just snatch and run.

I hope the whole community pours their collective rage in some kind of public protest at DHS for doing this. So few guys in this community (as great as it is) have the heart and dedication it takes to run a stream series like Team Spooky does. The travel, the cost, the knowledge, the equipment...its some pro shit to deal with.

We need you Spooky.

Xater said:

Wonder if Keits is still a little salty about being banned from commentating back during Final Round.

Xater

ThatCrazyGuy said:
SRK getting shady? I was also reading a thread in fighting game discussion on how they delete CrossCounter TV threads?

Weird.

I saw the same earlier when I visited SRK. Apparently they also no longer post any Cross Counter content on their home page. Eventhubs and iPlayWinner seem to be the better sites to me at this point.

koryuken

ThatCrazyGuy said:
SRK getting shady? I was also reading a thread in fighting game discussion on how they delete CrossCounter TV threads?

Weird.

I have a feeling that they see certain "factions" in the FGC as competitors to their site. They rarely link to sp00ky or IPW or Crosscounter. If this is a sign of things to come, then SRK is going to tank when people catch on.

N4Us

A DHS worker must've been perfected by Marlinpie in a money match at TFGC and it got recorded.

Last resort.

Amagon

Xater said:

Thats that SRK Illuminati shit that people that don't know about yo!

Buzzati

Banned
ThatCrazyGuy said:

Weird.

SRK has their own stream - they likely don't want to promote other streams at the expense of the community they're trying to cater to. Kinda weird.

koryuken said:
I have a feeling that they see certain "factions" in the FGC as competitors. They rarely link to sp00ky or IPW or Crosscounter. If this is a sign of things to come, then SRK is going to tank when people catch on.

So they are only down with Level-Up? Seems to be counter productive to building up a community that isn't that big to begin with.

But Spooky did EVO. Just Keits personal beef?

notworksafe

Buzzati said:
SRK has their own stream - they likely don't want to promote other streams at the expense of the community they're trying to cater to. Kinda weird.
SRK Live? Eh, that's not like a tourney stream so it's sorta not the same thing. Just SRK being dumb.

shaowebb

Gentleman Jack said:
Sad thing is that this would be a more legitimate reason than any other bullshit reason the DHS could possibly invent to tell us to try and legitimize this shit.

HOW DO YOU NOT FILL OUT THE FUCKING CONTACT AND REASON PORTIONS OF THE FORM DHS!?!?!?

This is beyond fucked up, as somebody who's supported Spooky I feel like the US government have pretty much stolen what I've given in donations and I can't say I'm all that happy about it.

Before T12 I would have said the break might have done Spooky some good as he's been wound tight after what happened at the Next Level SBO quals. However T12 was excellent and spooky was bad to his old self again, I was really looking forward to GC tomorrow. Really hope that by some miracle he manages to get all his gear back.

Araxen

Banned
I know he wasn't asking for donations but I sent $20 his way. This is really a bunch of bullshit. The US isn't the home of the free anymore. This country has really gone down a shithole that crap like this can happen.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Buzzati said:

Still bad form, won't get them any good will from the community either if they continue stuff like this. Shutting out people who do tons of stuff to enrich the community to benefit their own stuff may work in the short term, but I'm thinking they will in term lose part of their audience because of this.

Zzoram

Araxen said:
I know he wasn't asking for donations but I sent $20 his way. This is really a bunch of bullshit. The US isn't the home of the free anymore. This country has really gone down a shithole that crap like this can happen.

Yep. The Patriot Act was a far bigger attack on American freedom than 9/11.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Lesson to be learned: don't go to Canada? Whoever paid him to come up there must feel like shit or they snitched.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
WTF MAN, the thread title just completely changed the mood of my day.

Stay up Sp00ky. That's so fucked up.

sephi22

Xater said:
The front page of SRK is good when you don't have to give Eventhubs any hits, but otherwise I'd say the regular crew is pretty meh.

I used to listen to the WakeUpSRK podcast regularly but then I realized how bad of a job Ski and Keits really do on that podcast. I visit SRK only for the forums now. And the Tech Talk subforum is pretty godlike.

koryuken said:
I have a feeling that they see certain "factions" in the FGC as competitors to their site. They rarely link to sp00ky or IPW or Crosscounter. If this is a sign of things to come, then SRK is going to tank when people catch on.
The forums won't, but the actual 'content' those guys put out like WakeUPSRK is already tanking.

notworksafe said:
SRK Live? Eh, that's not like a tourney stream so it's sorta not the same thing. Just SRK being dumb.
Forgot about this too. The whole Peaceful Jay fiasco. I love how PJS stream is still popping without being on SRK anymore and the SRKlive stream is mostly empty despite being on the SRK front page.

Xater

Ultradavid is trying to help out:

Re Spooky, we're doing what we can! This kind of search is fairly routine, no reason to worry too much or jump to conclusions

https://twitter.com/#!/ultradavid/status/118803131642552320

It being routine make this whole afair somehow even worse.

mr. puppy

Banned
so guys, how do we set up a donation? i've watched way too many of that guy's streams for me not to want to give back.

and big fuck you to SRK

Hopefully this story get's big enough that the Joystiq's and Kotaku's of the world pick it up. If I had some extra cash I would be sending it Spooky's way.

sephi22

Araxen said:
Good junior.
FG Gaf appreciates it.

Top Bottom