• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Sp00ky's Stream Gear Seized by the Department of Homeland Security

h3ro

aggro crag said:
Hopefully SRK's pulling of the story is their attempt at exploring the issue further before publishing anything.

teamspooky twitter:
hey dont put srk on blast too much they did have a legit reason for pulling the story. they are trying to look out not make things worse

I dunno. People need to know about this and having this info on SRK is a way of doing so.

I can't believe this happened and after all that Sp00ky does for the fighting community. I don't even watch streams much anymore but I'll be sure to donate. I really hope he gets his stuff back, he doesn't deserve this.

h3ro

If you say so Haunts. Thanks for clearing it up. I thought it was just Spooky trying to diffuse the situation, but if you say there are legitimate reasons for pulling the story, then SRK was in the right.

biosnake20 said:
Who is bishop?

The Boss.

Araxen

Banned
darkressurection said:
Hopefully this story get's big enough that the Joystiq's and Kotaku's of the world pick it up. If I had some extra cash I would be sending it Spooky's way.

I say everyone send an email to them saying they should cover this.

TommyT said:
Seems DHS is top tier. Hopefully they will patch Sp00ky to make him viable in the future. Or just will release the Ulimate Sp00ky version and charge for it... whether that's dlc or a new game. My bet is it's a new game.

you got admit...this one was funny.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This whole new internet streaming law is fucking stupid. Why do you turn down free advertising, devs and govs?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
h3ro said:
If you say so Haunts. Thanks for clearing it up. I thought it was just Spooky trying to diffuse the situation, but if you say there are legitimate reasons for pulling the story, then SRK was in the right.

The Boss.

I think its a matter of opinion of course but they aren't doing it w/o good reason Ill say that much.

honestly tho, I see this more as a move by Homeland Security to protect the interests of the MPAA rather than "terrorism" or "national security". and don't think they're not in cahoots.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
haunts said:
SRK has their reasons for pulling the story. You guys shouldn't shit on them w/o knowing both sides.

Alright, may have been too kneejerky.

Goddamm.....was salty when I read the news on my break at work......gotta see what else happens now. Can't wait for another article by UltraDavid

TS hang in there...

haunts said:
SRK has their reasons for pulling the story. You guys shouldn't shit on them w/o knowing both sides.

Can you say more?

SRK doesn't want the DHS all up in their site and content if they make a big stink about it?

haunts said:

SRK posts news of interest to the fighting game community. This is news of interest to the fighting game community.

Am I missing something?

I donated $10 to Spooky. Hopefully, more people will see the Eventhubs, IPW and this thread and donate a few dollars. If 1,000 were to donate $2 to $5, he could easily replace the equipment.

This way we can still have quality streams on Guard Crush, Devastation and Season Beatings.

LiK

fucking DHS wants to stream their own shit.

well, i guess maybe spooky will do a fundraiser for new equipment. maybe next time he should just ship it via fedex or something.

Just read the thread. Bandit King banned? Good riddance to bad rubbish.

As for the sp00ky situation, I can only hope he keeps his head up through all of this. I can't imagine having all of your stuff taken with little to no explanation given, especially when you use that stuff to make a living. If I had anything other than dust in my Paypal account, it would go to him. He's given me countless hours of entertainment.

Azure J

There's just no way that they should be able to get away with this if only just because of the blank contact part of the form. Surely there's an avenue to pursue with just that alone, right?

Either way, keep your head up Team Sp00ky. I'll donate asap.

Spiderjericho said:
This way we can still have quality streams on Guard Crush, Devastation and Season Beatings.

I have a hard time believing Devastation was ever going to happen after Sp00ky blew up Level Up for making the announcement before he agreed on anything.

shuri

Banned
I'm pretty sure sp00ky was getting paid to do this for big events, and I bet he had insurances.. I would not suggest going crazy with the donation stuff.

sephi22 said:
It kinda was to me. I was going to make a 'DHS-Sp00ky matchup is 10-0' joke but didn't coz I thought it wasn't too original.

I don't agree with happened and I think this practise has much further reaching implications for US citizens than impacting a handful of FG streams but damn....It was only a joke. lighten up.

AzureJericho said:
I'll donate asap.

This is what everyone should be doing. He's not doing a donation drive to raise money for the equipment. Everyone who has viewed this thread should throw a few bucks his way if you do.

Fraeon

LiK said:
well, i guess maybe spooky will do a fundraiser for new equipment. maybe next time he should just ship it via fedex or something.

He did say he wasn't going to do that.

But yeah, the whole "no reasons or ways to contact" really is bullshit.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I have a hard time believing Devastation was ever going to happen after Sp00ky blew up Level Up for making the announcement before he agreed on anything.

I guess that's why he ultimately placed the blame on himself and apologized.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
shuri said:
I'm pretty sure sp00ky was getting paid to do this for big events, and I bet he had insurances.. I would not suggest going crazy with the donation stuff.

Spooky is always accepting donations, he provides hundreds of hours of free entertainment for us, why would that stop us?

ProtoCents said:
SRK posts news of interest to the fighting game community. This is news of interest to the fighting game community.

Am I missing something?
This is just a guess, but I believe they're probably going to have a larger article later. Also, I'm reminded of the situation with SBO and controversy surrounding the Planet Zero team. They reported on twitter rumors about the PZ never having legit invites to SBO, and ended up having the provide update after update with the correct info.

In those terms, I feel much better about the story being pulled. Lets hold off a while before putting SRK on blast again.

h3ro

Araxen said:
http://kotaku.com/5844439/homeland-security-detains-pro+gaming-commentator-seizes-hardware

It's on Kotaku now. It would be great if a site like Engadget or Ars would run the story too.

From the article:
Items seized by Homeland Security can be detained for up to 30 days, unless an ongoing investigation mandates a longer period of time. Kotaku has filed an Freedom of Information Act request with the department seeking more details about the seizure and the timing of the equipment's release.

I know I definitely do my fair share of bagging on Kotaku, but this is fantastic. I hope this gets out there further. Thanks Crecente.

Kotaku said:
Items seized by Homeland Security can be detained for up to 30 days, unless an ongoing investigation mandates a longer period of time. Kotaku has filed an Freedom of Information Act request with the department seeking more details about the seizure and the timing of the equipment's release.

I'm glad they're trying to help in the situation.

Edit: Beaten.

Top Bottom