• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TechRaptor: Nintendo DMCAs Game Jolt, Takes Down 500+ Fangames

Calm Mind

Preview, more at the link

On the same day that Nintendo announced its official lineup of upcoming games for Nintendo 3DS, it seems that they wanted to clear away some of the unofficial games from the web. Indie game service Game Jolt has announced that Nintendo has hit them with a DMCA takedown notice that specified 562 separate projects that infringed on the copyrights and patents that Nintendo hold. Specifically, the Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon franchises are cited in the takedown notice, which Game Jolt have made public on GitHub. http://techraptor.net/content/nintendo-game-jolt-dmca

Mesoian

Honestly surprised this hadn't happened sooner, but I guess it's a new mandate. I'd expect the apple store to be next.

Damn, this is pretty harsh. They mean no harm, they're just showing their appreciation for the games.

It's their IPs but jeez.

MUnited83

For you.
Bunch of fuckwits. I was interested on getting a NX but as they go more and more against their fans, I wont. Cant support this deplorable behaviour. Fuck em.

Calm Mind

Crazy. I wonder what spurred this change in Nintendo?

giphy.gif

Mesoian

Nintendo finally entering the mobile market and understanding that for every 1 good fan game based off their IP, there are 1000 shit ones, most of which are cheating people out money a dollar at a time.

Some real art gets lost in the sweep, yes, but that doesn't mean the sweep doesn't need to be done.

Bunch of fuckwits. I was interested on getting a NX but as they go more and more against their fans, I wont. Cant support this deplorable behaviour. Fuck em.

This mindset always baffles me. "NO! PEOPLE SHOULD CONTINUE TO KEEP USING IP THAT THEY DON'T OWN TO MAKE MONEY! IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY!"

Seriously dude, what? No. Or are you one of these people who are totally all about asset flips on Steam?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm assuming these "fangames" are those garbage flash-based Mario rip-offs you see in banner ads across the internet?

Eolz

This is incredibly stupid.
Control and curation makes sense, destroying every fangame doesn't.

Edit: I'm saying they shouldn't DMCA everything blindly. Some make sense, some don't.

Kaisos

*blinks

Really?

How many times do we have to go over this?

He's just looking for an excuse not to buy an NX. We're going to see more and more of that as we get closer to release.

Exactly why should they pour resources into curating games that infringe on their IPs?

Mesoian

Edit: I'm saying they shouldn't DMCA everything blindly. Some make sense, some don't.

Would you pay for that curation if you were in Nintendo's shoes? Because I wouldn't.

What does said curation even get you? Positive word of mouth about what you can do with the name of your company? If that worth more than having people focus on new interesting games and potentially spending money?

I would be shocked if there was anything in this sweep that made sense to save in Nintendo's eyes.

Mesoian

If you want to make and share Nintendo experiences online, please buy Super Mario Maker for the Nintendo 3D-

oh

oh

Let's not get crazy. That thing SHOULD tank because Nintendo isn't taking it seriously enough. But that doesn't make their decisions on this sweep any less acceptable.

Squire

Banned

Please. You'll be in one of the NX game launch games OTs without so much as a second thought about this.

Kouriozan

Damn, and I thought Nintendo was alright with fan projects, but lately more and more of this stuff keep popping.
Is it because of Kimishima?

Oregano

I think it's silly to do this but I think something crossed a line at some point and now Nintendo is just everything down.

And now they will disappear from the internet forever. Because that's always how this works.

Incidentally, I played AM2R this week. It's pretty good.

KingBroly

Banned
Damn, and I thought Nintendo was alright with fan projects, but lately more and more of this stuff keep popping.

As mentioned before, it's probably because they entered the mobile space, and doing so has made them much more aware of the fact that people use their IP's for games, for profit or not.

Mesoian

Probably. It's more likely due to their step into mobile which, in order to be successful, needs to cut down a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of this stuff so marketing focus is on nintendo and not in other places.

Why do people announce it though, you know that Nintendo is ruthless with this shit, hide until it is over, when it's done share all over the internet and Nintendo won't be able to do anything, once it hits torrents it's gone.

Kouriozan

As mentioned before, it's probably because they entered the mobile space, and doing so has made them much more aware of the fact that people use their IP's for games, for profit or not.
That probably makes sense.
Nintendo overprotecting their IPs is nothing new.

Mr-Joker

Banned
On the same day that Nintendo announced its official lineup of upcoming games for Nintendo 3DS, it seems that they wanted to clear away some of the]unofficial games from the web.

Honestly I am okay with this, since Nintendo has every right to protect their branding.

They have been licensing their IP, entered the mobile market and have been aggressively pushing their IP.

So naturally they want to get rid of the unofficial product that consumer could mistake for the real thing.

Sure you were. Furthermore you're pretty much saying that it's okay for fan games to use copyrighted asset.

I'm assuming these "fangames" are those garbage flash-based Mario rip-offs you see in banner ads across the internet?

Most likely yeah.

Calm Mind

As he is a businessman first and foremost, I would say yes. Iwata was a good guy but his kindness was a weakness in some regards. Kimi don't take shit from no one!

Top Bottom