• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen driver arrested after live-streaming crash that killed her sister.

kinggroin

Banned
Same problem.
People play games in the car too. The phone should be locked once you go faster then 20.

Fully agree.

By law, once above a specified speed limit, the phone should have it's features drastically limited. Voice calls and voice txt only.

Tampering with that safety feature should be met with a massive fine.

Fucking sick of shit like this. And I get to see it every fucking day at work.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
This is the dark end-result of a combination of things like YouTube, social media, a constant need for attention, and just plain stupidity result in tragic deaths.

Accidents happen, however, this one might have been avoidable if the person driving were to have paid attention to the road instead of the music. She should never have been recording their "performance" which driving. The car is not a stage, it is heavy machinery. Anyone in the car should be buckled in. You can still bop around in the back seat while buckled in.

As for live streaming the aftermath? My lord. That would be the absolute farthest thing from my mind. Is this what things have come to?

JoeNut

Hey, everybody, if I go to f—— jail for life, you already know why,” she began, adjusting the camera so that it showed her younger sister, motionless and bleeding from the head.

“My sister is f—— dying. Look, I f—— love my sister to death. I don’t give a f—. Man, we about to die. This is the last thing I wanted to happen to us, but it just did. Jacqueline, please wake up.”

Another girl screamed in the background.

“I don’t f—— care though,” Sanchez continued. “I’m a hold it down. I love you, rest in peace, sweetie. If you don’t survive, baby, I am so f—— sorry. I did not mean to kill you, sweetie. Sweetie, I am f—— sorry. Sweetie, please, wake up!”

...this is not normal, what the hell?

DrDamn

Fully agree.

By law, once above a specified speed limit, the phone should have it's features drastically limited. Voice calls and voice txt only.

How do you work out which is the drivers phone and which is a passengers? It's not really going to be enforceable is it?

Much stronger fines/bans for being caught using a phone whilst driving is the way forward, and more active policing of it.

kinggroin

Banned
How do you work out which is the drivers phone and which is a passengers? It's not really going to be enforceable is it?

Much stronger fines/bans for being caught using a phone whilst driving is the way forward, and more active policing of it.

No. I mean, smartphones being manufactured should have this as a built in feature starting today. If it detects travel at a certain speed, safety mode engages

It won't be done in one day of course. Too many phones. But cars already have this feature and I'd love to see it slowly permeate through to phones.

I'd certainly vote a law in to make it mandatory.

Camwi

No. I mean, smartphones being manufactured should have this as a built in feature starting today. If it detects travel at a certain speed, safety mode engages

It won't be done in one day of course. Too many phones. But cars already have this feature and I'd love to see it slowly permeate through to phones.

Not going to happen.

The only thing that's going to do away with all these stupid and pointless deaths is self-driving cars.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Fucking terrible, wish I hadn't watched that video, it was incredibly sad.

Fuck this shitty ass trend of recording yourself using your phone in the car. This idiot girl is obviously too immature to be driving a car, she not only killed her sister but she could've killed her friend and any potential pedestrians as well.

Not going to happen.

The only thing that's going to do away with all these stupid and pointless deaths is self-driving cars.

Pretty much

Self driving cars can't come soon enough, too many morons, like this girl, on the road otherwise.

Fully agree.

How's this gonna work? What if I'm on train? Or I'm the passenger? You can't just lock it to speed based

L Thammy

Not watching the video, but:

I can't really fault someone for acting stupid when their sibling is dying in front of them. It's a panic situation; you're allowed to be stupid. I don't know what emotions she was going through, and I don't think I can assume it's done for the same reason you stream normally.

However, she's completely responsible for choosing to distract herself with livestreaming while she was driving. She's responsible for not instructing the kids to buckle up. Her decisions were directly responsible for her sister's death. "I did not mean to kill you" suggests to me that she's aware of that.

I think that regardless of what legal punishment she gets, regardless of what her friends and family or people on the internet say about this, she has to spend the rest of her life knowing that she killed her sister because she wanted to be popular.

This whole situation was made even more bizarre after she basically posed in the video With her sister's gored head.
I don't even know what to say, but the vanity some people have is ridiculous.
Hubris and pride is a good description of what's going on here.

kinggroin

Banned
Not going to happen.

Maybe it won't happen, sure, but I think it's a better solution than self driving cars. The play of defeat because people can't control themselves is fucking pathetic. I say this as someone who's also goofed on his phone while driving from time to time.

Self driving vehicles should be fall back mode, or assistance driving for impaired people. Otherwise it just feels like...further enabling. Just doesn't sit well with me, even if it's the reality of the situation.

How's this gonna work? What if I'm on train? Or I'm the passenger? You can't just lock it to speed based

Ok, I'm not the actual creator of this hypothetical application, or a law maker. I'm just saying, as a concerned citizen, I'd be down for a solution like what I proposed. The details can be handled by smarter people.

That's beyond stupid. What if I'm a passenger?

I know her car was an older vehicle but it's time for car companies and cellphone companies to configure devices to be inoperable when a Bluetooth connection is established with the car. Modern cars allow you to control music through the steering wheel. Music is all you need. Disable the touch screen while the car is on. Save people before they save themselves.

kinggroin

Banned
That's beyond stupid. What if I'm a passenger?

NFC triggered application. Your phone knows you aren't the driver, so you're good.

And me wanting a strict enforcement of road safety, no matter how unlikely, isn't stupid...just impractical at worst.

What the girl did in the OP, that was stupid.

numble

Train rides would look very different.
A subway train starts and stops similar to a car on a rural road.

I'm pretty sure any feature would have a passenger mode (which defeats the purpose me if you lie and say you are the passenger) or otherwise piss people off.

iOS 11 has a driving mode that parents can force to always stay on, I don't know if they will let passengers escape the driving mode if it is on a forced option.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

You mean like your fast food comes with a camera that checks to see if you are driving before opening the bag? People are stupid. They do all kinds of stupid things while driving, phones are not the problem here. It's their lack of understanding what you should or shouldn't do while driving a car. I have seen people shave. In. The. Car. While going 140 km/h and swiveling left and right. I have seen a car crash in front of me because the driver dropped something at the passenger seat and took a dive, getting it back (he survived without a scratch, the car was totaled).

There are phone holders. You can put your phone in and stream all you want, if that's your thing. But stupid people will always do stupid things, you can't protect them from themselfs and that's not what laws are for. Making sure they don't get a license in the first place is more important. But I have no problem voiding all licenses of drivers that do not enforce seat belt use for all people in their car. Basically if you are caught with people in your car without seat belts your license is gone for a year. Cause it's one thing to be stupid and mess up your own life, but don't mess up the life of others.

I don't even know how it's possible to drive a car without all the drivers wearing seatbelts at this point. Doesn't some alarm go off or whatever as soon as the vehicle's moving, or is that only for the front seats?

Dont watch the video.

I'm not and I never will. Why give yourself this kind of misery.
The internet's desensitized me. Still a really fucked up video though.

An app that disables the touch screen of the phone via Bluetooth. Phones are phones and the root of the problem is careless driving but the app can help make better drivers.

What is all this talk of completely disabling your phone? I would be totally lost without my GPS. I mean the rest of it is fine, but leave my GPS alone.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
This whole situation was made even more bizarre after she basically posed in the video With her sister's gored head.
I don't even know what to say, but the vanity some people have is ridiculous.
Hubris and pride is a good description of what's going on here.
How gory we talking here?

kinggroin

Banned
So they hold the phone on the passenger side. That was AtomicShroom's point.

Holy shit.

I mean, THATS fucking dedication! Even still, make it like a dock or something. Besides, my idea, or any idea, is to curb the behavior. It'll never be fully eliminated.

But harsh penalities can cover that end.

darkinstinct

I watched it.

:(

Nothing personal, just exemplary for everyone that watches it: You are all part of the problem. You are the reason why she streamed, because there is people who watch. I think you are just as sick as her. Maybe worse, because you know what to expect and still watch it because you are just too curious to see some gore. And then act like "OMG I wish I hadn't seen it". What do you want? Pity? For being fucked up? Grow up!

tkscz

I get some people will defend her, but I just can't see how. She was driving under an influence, recording herself weaving through traffic, and then recording her sister's dead body, of which she had to turn the live stream back on to do. She deserves every charge she gets and the guilt she hopefully will feel while in jail. No chance at another license ever (though pretty sure she would drive with no license anyway). This is just beyond fucked up.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Nothing personal, just exemplary for everyone that watches it: You are all part of the problem. You are the reason why she streamed, because there is people who watch. I think you are just as sick as her. Maybe worse, because you know what to expect and still watch it because you are just too curious to see some gore. And then act like "OMG I wish I hadn't seen it". What do you want? Pity? For being fucked up? Grow up!
It's good to expose yourself to the horrors of death every now and then. It makes you more careful and respectful of not only your life but that of others too.

We're meat vessels people and shit gets real ugly real fast if you're not careful. Wake up to yourselves and pull you heads out of your asses and away from your fucking phones for 5 minutes.

Whoa, get off your high horse. I didn't kill my sister.

People weren't watching her stream because of the likelihood that she was gonna crash her car and kill her sister.

I get some people will defend her, but I just can't see how. She was driving under an influence, recording herself weaving through traffic, and then recording her sister's dead body, of which she had to turn the live stream back on to do. She deserves every charge she gets and the guilt she hopefully will feel while in jail. No chance at another license ever (though pretty sure she would drive with no license anyway). This is just beyond fucked up.
Who's defending her? lol

kmax

Being obnoxious, filming yourself, not paying attention to the road, no seatbelt, driving drunk.

This was a disaster full of disasters. If you're on the road, pay attention to the damn traffic. No comments on the drunk driving and driving without the seatbelt. Idiotic.

Holy shit.

I mean, THATS fucking dedication! Even still, make it like a dock or something. Besides, my idea, or any idea, is to curb the behavior. It'll never be fully eliminated.

But harsh penalities can cover that end.

Until we have full car automation, curbing the behaviour is the only viable method. Penalties should be much stiffer. If police catches you using a phone while driving, it would be an automatic one-year license suspension. People would catch on quickly.

darkinstinct

Whoa, get off your high horse. I didn't kill my sister.

People weren't watching her stream because of the likelihood that she was gonna crash her car and kill her sister.

No, they watch the recording because she killed her sister. That's just messed up.

Ratrat

It's good to expose yourself to the horrors of death every now and then. It makes you more careful and respectful of not only your life but that of others too.

We're meat vessels people and shit gets real ugly real fast if you're not careful. Wake up to yourselves and pull you heads out of your asses and away from your fucking phones for 5 minutes.
How is respectful to gawk at people dying? People use this shit to test their endurance as if anyone gives a shit. How many posters came back claiming to be desensitized?
If seeing the death of kids doesn't affect you, you have a problem.

Nothing personal?

kinggroin

Banned
Until we have full car automation, curbing the behaviour is the only viable method. Penalties should be much stiffer. If police catches you using a phone while driving, it would be an automatic one-year license suspension. People would catch on quickly.

I agree. Penalties, harsh ones, definitely work if enforced. I know enough NYers deathly afraid of having the phone anywhere near them while driving.

Top Bottom