• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen driver arrested after live-streaming crash that killed her sister.

cromofo

Nothing personal, just exemplary for everyone that watches it: You are all part of the problem. You are the reason why she streamed, because there is people who watch. I think you are just as sick as her. Maybe worse, because you know what to expect and still watch it because you are just too curious to see some gore. And then act like "OMG I wish I hadn't seen it". What do you want? Pity? For being fucked up? Grow up!

200w.gif

You're all hung up on the phone thing. The bigger problem was whatever she was on. Hell, even bigger than that was the lack of a seatbelt on the sister. Maybe while you're installing proximity devices in cars that prevent the driver from using their phone while the vehicle's moving, you oughtta make them pass a drug and alcohol test before they can start their car. Also, weight and thermal sensors that prevent the car from moving so long as everybody in the car isn't wearing a seatbelt.

TheYanger

Yeah so many people acting like it's because of social media...this shit happened because of no seatbelts, DUI, and streaming while driving. which are largely partly because of the DUI I assume. Fucking horrible,but the reason is almost assuredly primarily due to being fucked up.

The fact that she prioritized holding her phone and talking about "holding it down, i dont give a fuck" and then follows it with "wake up sweetie" and all this shit while groping her sisters dying body, not even prioritizing trying to save her any way she could....

I cant even begin to express how fucking disgusted I am.

GodofWine

I'd like to see her live stream her withdrawal and subsequent thoughts after the drugs wear off.

Its amazing how so many younger people have the "its ok, Imma hold it down" mantra, but have no idea what it actually takes to 'hold it down'...work hard, get a job, study, go to sleep before 1am and lay off the Rx Drugs, and then maybe you can 'hold it down'.

Like so many think , Its ok, they were a punk in school, didn't do well, quit their in the jobs food court because they think despite their lack of any qualifications that taking out the garbage is below them, and now wander around thinking "its OK, Imma hold it down"...NO YOU ARENT GONNA HOLD IT DOWN, YOU HAVE NO CLUE HOW OR WHAT YOU ARE HOLDING DOWN

/soapbox...sorry....

There was someone wondering if they should watch it, and another person compared it to a fucking Game of Thrones episode for example.

That is baffling to me.

Is this highlighting the contrast or my reference? Someone asked how brutal it was and I gave an example without going into detail. If it was perceived as poor taste, I apologize.

Ratrat

Is this highlighting the contrast or my reference? Someone asked how brutal it was and I gave an example without going into detail. If it was perceived as poor taste, I apologize.
Both? Honestly, its just my personal feeling on it. I would be livid if the death of someone in my family was being viewed and eliciting these kind of reactions. But I get it, these are strangers.

Both? Honestly, its just my personal feeling on it. I would be livid if the death of someone in my family was being viewed and eliciting these kind of reactions. But I get it, these are strangers.

Yeah, can see it being disrespectful. It's just a disturbing event.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Nothing personal, just exemplary for everyone that watches it: You are all part of the problem. You are the reason why she streamed, because there is people who watch. I think you are just as sick as her. Maybe worse, because you know what to expect and still watch it because you are just too curious to see some gore. And then act like "OMG I wish I hadn't seen it". What do you want? Pity? For being fucked up? Grow up!

Probably one of the most pretentious posts I've read on this forum. Who exactly are you to judge anyone for watching the video?

An absolutely messed up situation that beggars believe in this day and age. But seriously some are going over the top with these "phone restrictions". You know you don't have to have the phone restricted when it senses a certain speed or have an energy field that disables the phone when you drive the car. All you need is to NOT USE YOUR FUCKING PHONE WHEN DRIVING.

If people seriously need some device or mechanism to intervene and stop them using their phone then perhaps we could have some mechanism or device that stops them from using the car as well. Because if you lack the maturity and intelligence to not use your phone without mechanical intervention then you shouldn't be in charge of a fucking car.

SealedSeven

Neo Member
That was what, at least a full minute without a hand on the wheel... and the post crash scene was in fact too much. What was most odd/chilling was she just brushed off her sister dying like "eh, it wasn't supposed to be like this but it is, whatever" kind of tone.

Hydrus

I would love to see how much of an impact removing something as simple as the like feature from social media sites/ apps would have.

kinggroin

Banned
An absolutely messed up situation that beggars believe in this day and age. But seriously some are going over the top with these "phone restrictions". You know you don't have to have the phone restricted when it senses a certain speed or have an energy field that disables the phone when you drive the car. All you need is to NOT USE YOUR FUCKING PHONE WHEN DRIVING.

If people seriously need some device or mechanism to intervene and stop them using their phone then perhaps we could have some mechanism or device that stops them from using the car as well
. Because if you lack the maturity and intelligence to not use your phone without mechanical intervention then you shouldn't be in charge of a fucking car.

Having some restrictions in place is BECAUSE people CAN'T control themselves. Harsh penalities, restricted phone usage, auto driving cars... hell, your newer cars already implement this on the built in dash control system; you can't make certain changes or fiddle with the system if you aren't at a dead stop. No one is saying disable the phone. But if you're not supposed to be on Facebook anyway, what's the harm in locking it down for you...to remove temptation (speaking in a hypothetical situation where this actually works without any ability to circumvent)

"NOT USE YOUR FUCKING PHONE WHEN DRIVING" is apparently easier said than done. It's also more about protecting other people against this stupidity than the stupid person themselves.

She clearly has other major emotional issues beyond substance abuse. The fact that her first reaction is film herself while grousing about the potential consequences of her actions speaks volumes.

The notion that anyone, even while intoxicated, can see a family member with her head quite literally destroyed and react as coldly as this girl did shows a very drastic deficit in empathy. She needs to be psychologically evaluated pronto.

Putting your siblings in any sort danger is so fucked up to me as someone with 4 other siblings. A selfish sister is what she is. RIP, and I hope she learns a thing or two being in prison.

"NOT USE YOUR FUCKING PHONE WHEN DRIVING" is apparently easier said than done. It's also more about protecting other people against this stupidity than the stupid person themselves.

Then you know what if you get caught doing something so utterly stupid then you should be banned for life from ever driving again. Because if you lack the intelligence and maturity to not use your phone for 5 mins then you sure as hell do not have the intelligence or maturity to drive a car. It isn't just stupid people that do it nearly every fucking driver takes risks with these things. So I firmly believe in a life time driving ban for anyone caught using a mobile phone whilst in charge of a car (even if it is a first time offence).

Tigress

Probably one of the most pretentious posts I've read on this forum. Who exactly are you to judge anyone for watching the video?

As some one who watched the video, he has a point. These people do it cause people watch. This video now is gettting a ton of attention. And you don't think that encourages other people?

Anyways, I honestly think being fucked up on drugs really contributed most (from what I hear it was one that can cause you to do crazy things and not even remember it later). Both to the crash and her messed up reaction. I don't think she is necessarily a monster cause of her reaction, I think she's on drugs. I think the drugs is making her emotionless (from what I understand what she was on can do that) but I do think you see her in some way realize what is happening when she starts lamenting her sister and trying to get her to wake up. She's on drugs and probably also in shock and disbelief (I really do think you are watching her come to terms with what just happened).

I think this whole thing is just sad honestly. I feel pity for her honestly. Her life is ruined and even if she didn't go to jail this will probably fuck her up for life (I know some of you will be happy to hear that). All because at some point she decided to try out a drug and liked it. That was her choice but people sometimes make stupid decisions. And when you are a kid you have a tendency to think the bad stuff won't happen to you. And now the parents have lost two kids (though they maybe more angry at one rather than sad at losing her at this point). No, I don't think she shouldn't have consequences. I do hope it follows her for life. But what I hope is that it follows her for life as it should but maybe she uses it to become a better person and clean up. That probably isn't what will happen though.

This is just fucked up and a sad situation.

kinggroin

Banned
Then you know what if you get caught doing something so utterly stupid then you should be banned for life from ever driving again. Because if you lack the intelligence and maturity to not use your phone for 5 mins then you sure as hell do not have the intelligence or maturity to drive a car. It isn't just stupid people that do it nearly every fucking driver takes risks with these things. So I firmly believe in a life time driving ban for anyone caught using a mobile phone whilst in charge of a car (even if it is a first time offence).

Haha, hey, I appreciate the passion. Your heart is in the right place.

Whoa, get off your high horse. I didn't kill my sister.

People weren't watching her stream because of the likelihood that she was gonna crash her car and kill her sister.

Who's defending her? lol

I'm pretty sure he means the people watching the video after the fact that they know what happened, not the ones who tuned in live.
I don't have much to contribute other than whats already been said but I agree that anyone who watches these videos is messed up, as much as I'd want to watch it I know I shouldn't and won't. It's sad enough reading the transcript of the incident.

One thing I didn't get was that the driver spent the past 2 years in child protective custody.

Wear your seatbelts

GSG Flash

As some one who watched the video, he has a point. These people do it cause people watch. This video now is gettting a ton of attention. And you don't think that encourages other people?

No he doesn't really have any point when he paints everyone with the same brush. I watched the video but I didn't watch it for the entertainment value, I watched it to see what went wrong so I can build my own life lessons from it without going through something as horrific as that. The girl was clearly deranged to have continued recording after the crash, trying to excuse it by putting the blame on the viewer while painting themselves as morally superior is just pretentious.

fuck off

the most disturbing thing is she kept fucking streaming everything well after the crash. She was sitting beside her dying sister still streaming. Put the fucking phone away already and stop broadcasting that to the entire world. Why would you stream your sibling dying?

That's the most disturbing part of the story. Why the hell would she stream her sister dying and not try to aid her sister in anyway, or just call 911?
Christ, what an avoidable tragedy.

Seriously, what the heck.

People really think that other people will notice the views on this video and decide to go and drive dangerously and potentially kill their passengers, whilst live streaming?

I don't think that is very likely. I think it is more likely that people will watch this video and then possibly think twice about doing the same sort of dumb shit.

Tigress

No he doesn't really have any point when he paints everyone with the same brush. I watched the video but I didn't watch it for the entertainment value, I watched it to see what went wrong so I can build my own life lessons from it without going through something as horrific as that. The girl was clearly deranged to have continued recording after the crash, trying to excuse it by putting the blame on the viewer while painting themselves as morally superior is just pretentious.

If you think you need to learn a life lesson from a video like this you probably already know the life lesson. I'm not sure what life lesson some one would watch this purposely to learn.

Also, you can get that from just reading about what happened. You don't need to watch the video for that.

GSG Flash

If you think you need to learn a life lesson from a video like this you probably already know the life lesson. I'm not sure what life lesson some one would watch this purposely to learn.

Also, you can get that from just reading about what happened. You don't need to watch the video for that.

Newsflash, everyone is different and everyone responds to tragedies differently. It's like saying "why watch a movie when you can read a book?". While some may prefer reading books, for others it does not convey the same experience a movie would.

You need to read what the post I responded to actually said:

darkinstinct said:
 I think you are just as sick as her. Maybe worse, because you know what to expect and still watch it because you are just too curious to see some gore. 

If you don't believe a post saying something like that is out of line, you have issues of your own that you need to deal with.

I think I know what you're getting at but that came off really bad. No, people who watch the video are not "As sick as her. Maybe worse.." There is nothing similar to people watching the video and what the driver did, at all.

Oscar

Saw the full uncensored video.

How she tried to close her sister's head/face back together has me thinking she was going through some serious shock (on top of being drunk).

I live in a community where a lot of teens are basically like the girl in the video. They are so determined to be a viewed as a "bad bitch", they end up doing dumb shit like this because it's apparently badass (drunk driving while fronting for the camera).

RIP to the little sister, buckle up folks.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm surprised that there are so many people (here and otherwise) that still refuse to wear seatbelts. Seriously - why the hell wouldn't you? I won't even drive off until my passengers all have seatbelts on, but it's never been an issue because everyone I know gladly wears theirs. If a video like this won't change someone's mind, then I really don't know what to say.

Wear your seatbelts, people!

The fact that she prioritized holding her phone and talking about "holding it down, i dont give a fuck" and then follows it with "wake up sweetie" and all this shit while groping her sisters dying body, not even prioritizing trying to save her any way she could....

I cant even begin to express how fucking disgusted I am.

It looked like she was in shock and not thinking straight to me. But then again she wasn't thinking straight before the crash.

I'm surprised that there are so many people (here and otherwise) that still refuse to wear seatbelts. Seriously - why the hell wouldn't you? I won't even drive off until my passengers all have seatbelts on, but it's never been an issue because everyone I know gladly wears theirs. If a video like this won't change someone's mind, then I really don't know what to say.

Some dumb shit I've heard when I ask that question to people:

"If it's my time it's my time"

"Seatbelts can kill you too!"

"I've never been in an accident so..."

Zackat

people not wearing seatbelts is the craziest thing

I subconsciously put mine on when I get in the car. Like second nature.

This is a tragedy

Driving while under the influence, playing with the phone and not paying attention, and no seat belts. Horrible tragedy that could so easily have been avoided. Watched a censored version of the video with no audio, but it seems like she was more interested in filming than helping. She just shakes her sister's body and makes sure to film her the entire time.

Raptomex

Anyone should be jailed and lose their license for doing this shit while driving or operating any kind of vehicle.

This story just makes it worse.

Fuck these people.
This. Un-fucking-real the amount of stupidity I see on the road daily. Put your fucking device away if you're driving and wear a seat belt. Plus she was on something? This is what happens. Fucking tragic.

Tigress

Hell, I don't even understand how you can be comfortable driving without a seatbelt? I like that it keeps me centered in my seat... I'd hate the loose feel without it.

And honestly, even riding I feel wrong without a seatbelt... I like having something hold me in and not feel like I'm about to move all over the car.

Pesmerga00

Some dumb shit I've heard when I ask that question to people:

"If it's my time it's my time"

"Seatbelts can kill you too!"

"I've never been in an accident so..."

I have heard the "Seatbelts can kill you too!" line before. It has happened like what a handfull of times? The risk vs reward is so lopsided...it's just Ugh.

Once a month I sit in conferences at the hospital where I work where they have discussions on Pedatric trauma some cases having sad and unfortunate endings. There are sometimes medical photos and things and it's always too much for me being a parent but I am there as it is my job to do so. I do not feel desensitized and would never willingly watch a video such as this. Life can be depressing enough as it is, I don't want to give clicks to something so tragic.

I don't know how any of you do it.

____

Not that this is the reason, but:

I remember being in elementary/middle school, riding to school with a friend that lived on my block and his sister used to drive us to school.

She'd drive, he was obviously passenger seat, and I'm in the back.

They'd put their seatbelts on, but when I put mine on in the back, they'd ridicule me to no end, as though wearing one in the backseat was stupid, pointless, lame, etc.

IDK, it always struck me as "damn, ya'll are some dumb ass humans"

Parch

Brutal story and maddening.
So many things piling on here. Alcohol, drugs, no seatbelts, cellphone while driving, probably speeding. All adding up to disaster. Unfortunately these are frequently bad habits for young drivers. This is why statistics overwhelming prove the high accidents rates of young drivers and why many countries give them the highest insurance rates.

Top Bottom