• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen driver arrested after live-streaming crash that killed her sister.

Keri

No he doesn't really have any point when he paints everyone with the same brush. I watched the video but I didn't watch it for the entertainment value, I watched it to see what went wrong so I can build my own life lessons from it without going through something as horrific as that. The girl was clearly deranged to have continued recording after the crash, trying to excuse it by putting the blame on the viewer while painting themselves as morally superior is just pretentious.

You had to watch a video of a 14 year old girl getting her skull bashed in and her face disfigured, in order to see "what went wrong" when the 18 year old high on Xanax, streamed herself instead of driving?

ec0ec0

The biggest thing that pops out to me is that the two girls in the back weren't wearing seatbelts.

Parents need to drill it into their kids heads more to wear seatbelts. It's so instinctual for me I don't even think a out it. My mom would always make sure everyone was wearing seatbelts before driving. I do the same. The crash not have been preventable, but their lives could have been saved.

If there were minors in the card, i wouldn't drive until they were wearing seatbelts, and they would have no word on it.

If i'm driving, i always remind everyone of the seatbealt (no hyperbole), no matter their age. I think that everyone knows at least one person that forgets about it for time to time, but that it's willing to use it if you remind him/her of it.

Jeff-DSA

Someone is dying right at that moment and it's still all about her. She's there talking about herself, and if she goes to jail, and what she did, and what she cares about. Nothing about anybody else in that moment. Disgusting.

If she had dropped a "don't forget to like and subscribe" in there I wouldn't have even been surprised.

ec0ec0

Not that this is the reason, but:

I remember being in elementary/middle school, riding to school with a friend that lived on my block and his sister used to drive us to school.

She'd drive, he was obviously passenger seat, and I'm in the back.

They'd put their seatbelts on, but when I put mine on in the back, they'd ridicule me to no end, as though wearing one in the backseat was stupid, pointless, lame, etc.

IDK, it always struck me as "damn, ya'll are some dumb ass humans"

holy sh*t

this is a thing? I guess it makes some sense if you barely think about it, like "the back of the car is further from where you would crash?". But, you only need to think about it a couple more seconds to realize that it's going to go terribly wrong.

L Thammy

holy sh*t

this is a thing? I guess it makes some sense if you barely think about it, like "the back of the car is further from where you would crash?". But, you only need to think about it a couple more seconds to realize that it's going to go terribly wrong.

It was definitely a thing when I was a kid. But you'd also have parents that tell you that that they don't want to be pulled over because you aren't wearing a seatbelt, so you'd have to buckle up before they go anywhere.

____

holy sh*t

I honestly felt that was their reasoning, but have learned they're just not the sharpest tools in the shed.

This was maybe around 20 years ago at this point, but definitely was a thing. The sister has kids now, so I should ask if she still has this stance.

Wildo09

Not watching this. But jeesh, from what I'm reading this girl needs to be locked away and sort herself out.

The three major sins. Not to victim blame, but the poor girl might be alive if she was buckled up. Doesn't take away from how incredibly stupid her sister was.

Who ever puts on a seat belt while riding on the back? Is that a common thing in the US?

Edit: Just notice this has been the topic lately lol. I think in my country the laws only apply to the front seats because most cars didn't have a seat belts on the back until recently or they had the crappy uncomfortable type that goes along the waist.

Keri

Who ever puts on a seat belt while riding on the back? Is that a common thing in the US?

Uh, yeah, because you can die without a seat belt in the backseat, just as much as you can die in the front.

Seriously, people think sitting in the backseat makes you immune from death? You can still be catapulted out the windshield.

ec0ec0

That's the most disturbing part of the story. Why the hell would she stream her sister dying and not try to aid her sister in anyway, or just call 911?
Christ, what an avoidable tragedy.

not to beat a dead horse, but you avoid it by wearing seatbealts.

speculation...

It was a difficult situation because the 18 year old sister (the driver) was the one who was supposed to remid his sister (and her friend) about the seatbealts before driving. However, she probably wans't in the best condition to keep those things in mind (alcohol, drugs,...). I guess that she was wearing her seatbealt because it's something that the driver is used to do each time he/she gets in the car (without no one reminding him/her), so you just do it automatically.

So, her 14 year old sister had remeber about the seatbealt by herself and decide to use it. For that to happen, someone in her family would have had to have put it in her head that the first thing you do after sitting in the car is putting the seatbealt and, even then, if the driver is not keeping track of it, the kid may decide to not wear the seatbealt, as they are more comfortable without it.

Zoe

Edit: Just notice this has been the topic lately lol. I think in my country the laws only apply to the front seats because most cars didn't have a seat belts on the back until recently or they had the crappy uncomfortable type that goes along the waist.
Cars in the US have had seat belts in the back for decades.

kmax

I think your country needs to get ahead with the times. If you're in a car, you should be wearing a seatbelt. End of discussion.

I've noticed that helmet use isn't required when driving a motorcycle in some states. Insanity.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Rear passengers not wearing a seatbelt is not only dangerous for the rear passenger themselves, but also the front passenger(s) in the scenario that their body gets launched forward in a crash.

ec0ec0

but this was only for the middle back seat, right? or did all 3 back seats use that type of seatbealt?

(my father had an old car when i was a kid, but i can't remember now)

MUnited83

For you.

I seriously question the intelligence of anyone that actually asks this questions holy fucking shit.
Everyone on the fucking car needs to use a damn seat belt. How is this not common sense? How is this not something that is teached to you at a young age? Do people have no idea how car crashes and physics work?

zeemumu

Our seatbelts go along both the waist and across the chest so it doesn't mess you up when it catches you and it's required by law that everyone be wearing one in the car, not just the front seat. I don't really understand why your cars wouldn't have seatbelts in the back. Is it assumed that you'll be saved by impacting into the back of the front seat? Because depending on how fast you were going that's still probably gonna kill you/fuck you up. And what about the person in the middle?

She sounds like the world's most irresponsible driver

There are countless other people like her - and worse - out on the road.

It's one of the reasons why it always perplexes me when people say they feel safer driving than flying.
People seem to think "Since I'm a good driver, I can avoid the other people." There are so many horrible drivers on the road, that sometimes, you just can't.

What an odd "You do that in the US? Who even does that?" situation to take on.
People being safe - who even does that? Must be a US thing.

McLovin

The people not wearing seat belts and making fun of people that do thing is a thing. I know lots of people that are like that. My car has an alarm that never shuts off if your not wearing a seat belt and they would get in my car and let that alarm beep for minutes. I actually knew someone that drove a school bus and she clicked the seat belt in and just sat over it. I really don't get it.

Our seatbelts go along both the waist and across the chest so it doesn't mess you up when it catches you and it's required by law that everyone be wearing one in the car, not just the front seat. I don't really understand why your cars wouldn't have seatbelts in the back. Is it assumed that you'll be saved by impacting into the back of the front seat? Because depending on how fast you were going that's still probably gonna kill you/fuck you up. And what about the person in the middle?

Cars during the 1970s and 1980s in the US had seatbelts that were waist only in the back. I think that changed in the 90s, but I'm not sure exactly when. It may have been gradual. When I was growing up, my parents always made me wear those seatbelts in the back seat, even though they were waist only.

what a sad story....the video crushed me

as a parent, what do you do in this situation. I mean do you still visit the other daughter in jail, how can you even look in her eyes anymore after something like that

yea what a bunch of weirdos in america, not wanting people in the back seat to die xd

Velikost

Watching that video, I'm not even sure what kind of drug/personality combo could illicit such an odd, cold reaction. Between the livestreaming, the lack of emotion in the voice, and the shaking of someone's head that is now SPLIT OPEN... yeah I'm at a loss for words on this one.

Sounds like your country has some unsafe motor vehicles, but IIRC, it's even more important for the backseat passengers to wear seatbelts because if they don't and there's a crash, they can fly forward and injure/kill whoever is sitting in front of them.

snap0212

The people not wearing seat belts and making fun of people that do thing is a thing. I know lots of people that are like that. My car has an alarm that never shuts off if your not wearing a seat belt and they would get in my car and let that alarm beep for minutes. I actually knew someone that drove a school bus and she clicked the seat belt in and just sat over it. I really don't get it.
There's videos on YouTube where people just brake for a second so everyone bumps their heads if they're not wearing their seat belt. Try that. :)

I've had people in my backseat "pretend" to put their seat belts on just so they wouldn't hear me complain.

Needless to say they haven't ever ridden on my backseat ever again.

I was always anal about having my seat belt on when riding other people's cars, the last time I "compromised" because we had too many passengers, we got in an accident.

It was really really stupid of me and I have a small scar on my face to remind me that I got lucky it was such a low speed collision. If I had my seat belt on, I probably wouldn't even have it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
A number of times I've been a passenger in a car and someone has asked me why I'm putting on a seatbelt, "like what the fuck? Why wouldn't I?".

Also not wearing a seatbelt in the back can severely injure or kill the person in front of them. You are a flying projectile during impact.

shiba5

There's videos on YouTube where people just brake for a second so everyone bumps their heads if they're not wearing their seat belt. Try that. :)

I saw a video of an SUV rollover and the 4 people (kids and a grandparent, I think) in the back all got ejected. I think one lived. The SUV crushed one of the others. Both parents wearing seat belts lived. Wear seat belts in the back, people.

HarryKS

Watching that video, I'm not even sure what kind of drug/personality combo could illicit such an odd, cold reaction. Between the livestreaming, the lack of emotion in the voice, and the shaking of someone's head that is now SPLIT OPEN... yeah I'm at a loss for words on this one.

Sounds like your country has some unsafe motor vehicles, but IIRC, it's even more important for the backseat passengers to wear seatbelts because if they don't and there's a crash, they can fly forward and injure/kill whoever is sitting in front of them.

Elicit.

What is Porsche girl?

In Utah its click-it or ticket back seat front seat it doesn't matter If I am driving I make sure everyone is belted before I drive off or i'm not driving. Ive had a few people tell me to calm down.

fuck them the last thing I need is there fucking skull smashing into mine.

even a ticket for them not wearing would piss me off.

just wear a seat belt.

I just cannot fathom how is it possible for her to casually stream her little sister last breath may she rest in peace.

It's just impossible for me to even imagine, it just isn't normal. I hope she will rot in jail, she is clearly a danger to society, her behavior could have cost more lives, 19 years old is considered adulthood in most countries of the world, no excuses.

The social media addiction is definitely gonna be an issue, I can see it with my friends but more so with my teenagers cousins, they are glued to their phones, spending their days trying to get other people attention. Shrinks are gonna have their works cut out for them.

wear your fucking seatbelt no matter what seat you are in ffs

not just for your own safety but for others in that you don't become a human meat missile and fly out of the car to hurt others in the event of a crash

wtf

Crazy that seatbelts even need to be a discussion. Just grab the strap and snap it into the buckle. Done.

Anyways, I have a little sister around that age and I am not going near that video. May that girl rest in peace.

louiedog

A number of times I've been a passenger in a car and someone has asked me why I'm putting on a seatbelt, "like what the fuck? Why wouldn't I?".

Also not wearing a seatbelt in the back can severely injure or kill the person in front of them. You are a flying projectile during impact.

I remember people acting like that in cabs. I'd either get a funny look or even had a couple of people ask my why I was putting on a seatbelt, like cabs are somehow immune to dangers that other cars deal with. I'd be more worried in a cab because I feel like they would drive twice as fast in dense parts of towns compared to just riding with a friend. Weirdly I always see people buckle up immediately in an Uber without question.

Saganator

Yeah this is common in small towns. I went to college in a small ass town, during the summer I stayed in town and hung out with some townies. I got in a car with them and buckled up, and they all laughed at me.

Weevilone

I have heard the "Seatbelts can kill you too!" line before. It has happened like what a handfull of times? The risk vs reward is so lopsided...it's just Ugh.

My dad was in a bad accident years ago and the stupid first responders told him he'd be dead if he had been wearing his seatbelt.

Needless to say he never wore a seatbelt after that, and we heard that story plenty.

milkham

I remember people acting like that in cabs. I'd either get a funny look or even had a couple of people ask my why I was putting on a seatbelt, like cabs are somehow immune to dangers that other cars deal with. I'd be more worried in a cab because I feel like they would drive twice as fast in dense parts of towns compared to just riding with a friend. Weirdly I always see people buckle up immediately in an Uber without question.

I had a cab driver in china stop me from putting on the seat belt when I was sitting in the front. As if I was insulting him.

click-it or ticket

ftfy
(I'm assuming Utah knows how to spell, anyway).

It's annoying, because most times cab drivers (and even some Uber drivers) are in such a rush to get moving again, they don't even give you a second to buckle your seatbelt, and so I'm trying to buckle while they're pulling out of a parking lot into traffic. Always fun.

willy_2

Neo Member
I just cannot fathom how is it possible for her to casually stream her little sister last breath may she rest in peace.

It's just impossible for me to even imagine, it just isn't normal. I hope she will rot in jail, she is clearly a danger to society, her behavior could have cost more lives, 19 years old is considered adulthood in most countries of the world, no excuses.

The social media addiction is definitely gonna be an issue, I can see it with my friends but more so with my teenagers cousins, they are glued to their phones, spending their days trying to get other people attention. Shrinks are gonna have their works cut out for them.

yeah her almost callous reaction to the whole thing is telling. i wonder if she would even be capable of understanding the gravity of the situation had she not been a junkie.

ec0ec0

In Utah its click-it or ticket back seat front seat it doesn't matter If I am driving I make sure everyone is belted before I drive off or i'm not driving. Ive had a few people tell me to calm down.

If i ever drive, i'm used to going with people who always use the seatbelt, but if i went with someone else, and he didn't put it himself, i would tell him to use it, and he would have no say on it. I wouldn't have to convince him either, as i don't need to. I'm driving. The seatbelt does not harm you. If you want to go in the car, use it. I don't see why there needs to be an argument about it either.

edit:

I had a cab driver in china stop me from putting on the seat belt when I was sitting in the front. As if I was insulting him.

ahaha

maybe we need a thread decicated to seatbelts

cromofo

I've talked with my dad about the no backseat seat belt wearing and he pretty much said no one wears one.

Everyone will wear the front seat belt but almost no one will wear it at the back. The cops don't care either. I remember a group of us in a car with 3 of us sitting at the backseat with no seat belt on and shitting our pants once the cops flagged us down. It was after a night out as well. The cops just waved us on and that was it.

I do live in a small community/town so that might be a part of the reason why, but it's still pretty silly. It's such a non-topic here.

All I know from now on is that I'll start wearing one when I ride with someone and will require people to wear one when I drive. Ain't nobody got time for split-open noggins

DirtyLarry

I've seen a lot of fucked up videos over the years, but this truly may take the cake.
This girl is the textbook definition of sociopath. It is crazy how little she reacts to her own sister laying there in that condition.
She is more concerned about being gangsta than anything else apparently.
Just disgusting on so many levels.
Damn.

Top Bottom