• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 3 sold 8.3 million worldwide (1.4 million is from Japan)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Loved Tekken 2, 3 and Tag. Kind of fell off playing the series with Tekken 4.

kasane

Playing it on arcades and in my PS1. Heck even my Dad and Aunt got into it so much sometimes they would bet on who won.

first game I ever owned on psone
I remember unlocking most of the hidden characters (all except gon and dr boskonovich) but not having a memory card yet
still one of my favorite games of all time

Tekken 3 was probably my most played game throughout High School. Friends would come over almost daily to get some rounds in. I still love how many secrets there were. Volleyball, Bowling, and just when you think you unlocked them all you find out there's still a Doctor that can't stand up and a tiny dinosaur. I even remember looking through a strategy guide and seeing one of the Tekken force characters (crow?) on the select screen. Never did figure out what that was about.

HeelPower

Tekken 3 was the first PS game and(pretty much game) I ever played.

It got me into gaming and its an extremely special game.

Phediuk

Tekken 3 was one of the games everyone had for PS1, so no surprise there.

You know what other game sold an assload on PS1? Frogger. Apparently it was like the 3rd best selling game for PS1 in North America (behind only the Gran Turismos.) Seriously, wtf?

I guess that's why there were so many arcade remakes in the late 90s.

RedSwirl

Tekken is like the last big fighter franchise I haven't really touched at all. And that's kind of odd seeing as my top game is Soul Calibur.

Eiji

I remember playing it quite a bit in the local arcade back in high school before the console release and then getting the Japanese version from the local import shop for the PSX when it was released in early '98. Hype was massive for the game and I'd say it certainly did live up to it.

Those were the days :)

Mooreberg

I could be wrong, but I remember reading some lifetime sales on MagicBox where this game had sold more in the US than MGS or FFVII. This was well before years of steady business as "Greatest Hits" for those two though.

Doomshine

Been a while since I checked, but I'm pretty sure Tekken 3 is still my most played games to this day. I put insane amounts of hours into it.

I was one of those 8.3m. First fighting game I ever got serious with. Pinnacle of an era.

Tekken 5 comes mighty close imho.

I never quite got the timing for that technique down; could do it randomly at times but would kinda laugh every time the announcer said it. Especially if I was hungry.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It was a damn good tekken and a huge improvement over 3.

However, Tekken 3 took Lee Chaolan off the roster, so I hate it.

Tekken 3 took a lot off the roster. They even took away Kazuya for crying out loud! But in the end it wasn't that big of a deal because the game in general was such an improvement over 2, and a number of the new character additions were really awesome.

Graphics were incredible at the time. New characters were great. Tons of unlocks and addictive bonus modes. The ending videos made you beat the game with every character. Tekken is still a good series, but I doubt it will ever reach that type of popularity again.

entremet

Graphics were incredible at the time. New characters were great. Tons of unlocks and addictive bonus modes. The ending videos made you beat the game with every character. Tekken is still a good series, but I doubt it will ever reach that type of popularity again.

It won't because Arcades were still relevant back then. They're non-existent now.

Tekken 3 took a lot off the roster. They even took away Kazuya for crying out loud! But in the end it wasn't that big of a deal because the game in general was such an improvement over 2, and a number of the new character additions were really awesome.

Yes, I meant improvment over 2, but yeah, even though Lee's my favorite character of the series, there's no denying this is one of the best game's of the entire series.

Oh, and Ogre does have a few of Lee's movies. :)

Pallad1um

Such an amazing game. Me and my brother spent dozens, probably hundreds of hours playing that game. Deserved all the sales it got.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Good game. 5 is my personal favorite. I kind of think the game went to shit when they formally introduced the bound system in 6 then added Lars and Alisa to the game. Come to think of it, I didn't like any of the new characters in 6.

Tekken 3...the first game to introduce my favorite character of the series Bryan Fury. Crazy, psychopathic, cyborg killing machine. Remember first fighting him, hearing that insane theme music and was already a fan. Also dat iconic laugh of his.

Tekken 3 - Bryan Fury Theme

Tekken 3 - Bryan Fury Ending

180px-Bryan_t5.jpg

Makes sense, it was the best Tekken game. I don't really play fighting games all that much but oh my god did I love this game, played it to death in college.

Still my favorite tekken. Game was just so fun, even if you were getting owned by the mishimas haha. I quit playing after they introduced those awful confined stages with walls...blech

Cheddahz

Banned
The game that got me into fighting games and I still play it every once in a while today and yes, it's still as excellent as it was back then

Well-deserved sales numbers, to this day it still is a fantastic game. Namco was really on the (fighting) ball in the late 90s/ early 00s, with the trifecta of this gem, SC1, and Tag.

Although I don't remember this game's atmosphere as fondly as Tekken 2's (the latter game had arguably superior music, story, character selection screen, stages, etc), the mechanics here were much better. For one, it was much more fluid... it was nice knowing that when I got knocked down I wouldn't be "sleeping for 20 hours" like Tekken 1/2.

Someone (I think ViewtifulJC) mentioned the Eddy scrubs. Yea, they were EVERYWHERE! The cure? Troll them with Paul's counters and the Phoenix Smasher... on counter-hit, that thing was a beast :)

I was working at a digital agency at the time, and Namco was one of our clients. I think they were planning to do a small site for Tekken 3, but a coworker and I convinced them we'd build them a more elaborate site if they sent us a Tekken 3 arcade machine as payment. They actually went for it. Let's just say work productivity dropped a bit in the office.

I do think it's the best in the series, not only in terms of character balance, but also it was an amazing console release. I feel like the Tekken series has lost of bit of that fun and absurdity it used to have. No weird modes like Tekken Ball and Tekken Bowl anymore, and the ending movies aren't quite as silly and non-sequitur.

I do have a fondness for Tekken 2 though, because Jun was my main. Also because some of us used to go to the local arcade near the office and play Tekken 2 with Todd Bridges (yes, Willis from Diff Strokes). I heard he later got pissed at some guy playing Tekken with him at that same arcade and rammed into his car after chasing him. Well whatever, he was cool enough when I played him.

If you add up all the different SF2 versions then SF2 would be higher.

That's not really fair. How many of those were bought by the same people multiple times?

Street Fighter II was most certainly a bigger phenomenon factoring in arcades, but Tekken 3 is the most popular traditional fighter of all time on consoles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As did ALOT of people.

Man what a stinker of a game that turd was.

I remember thinking the visuals were great, but then I learned they changed Jin, who was my most played character in Tekken 3, and I became really disappointed with it. I remember some weird stuff about juggling people up against walls, too.

Top Bottom