• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 Arcade Release set for February 2015

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm sure Nina will be in it. She is one of the staple characters in the game. She and Anna are my mains, so I need at least one of them in the game(preferably both). I heard she is getting drastically modified somehow. Not exactly sure what that means, but I am assuming that they are either substantially changing her entire fighting style or modifying her current fighting style. I thinking they might Tekken 4 Jin her.

image.php

:p Who are you referring to though, who is possibly getting "Tekken 4 Jin'd", Nina or Anna? I could see that happening to Anna to differentiate her from Nina more. But if they alter Nina so much, then what would they do with Anna? Just leave her out of Tekken 7 altogether?

image.php

:p Who are you referring to though, who is possibly getting "Tekken 4 Jin'd", Nina or Anna? I could see that happening to Anna to differentiate her from Nina more. But if they alter Nina so much, then what would they do with Anna? Just leave her out of Tekken 7 altogether?

Oh sorry. :) Nina is supposedly the sister that is getting altered. I am hoping that Anna is still in the game since I am hearing rumors that she might not even be in Tekken 7. :( I think Nina is a lock for Tekken 7. Anna?? Maybe since she seems to be virtually everywhere Nina is.

The redesign stuff was just Harada trolling. Unless I'm mistaken, they should have the full cast for February, including any returning fighters they haven't yet revealed. Things can always change down the line, of course.

I thought I heard they are going with time release characters again? Honestly, after all of the waiting, I wouldn't mind seeing the entire roster unveiled in February.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't recall Harada ever saying anything about that.

What hints has there been in pxz, tag 2 and I'm guessing by br you mean T6?

I know in sfxt they're tag partners in campaign but that's about it.

Harada_TEKKEN i ask this in the lightest way possible,DO NOT PUT JIN AND LING TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could answer that, but I risk the chance you might not like the answer. RT @tekkenfan4life

Also, in Blood Vengeance there is some decent pointing in that direction. In addition to that there's more hinting with Harada in his interview with Dai Sato for the movie as well about how he's slowly been developing a love story for 'certain characters' for a while, and it'll be realized eventually.

The fact that they are tag partners in both project X zone and sfXT is also pointing to Namco as thinking of them more of a pair in recent years. In tag 2 there was also that line about how Xiao is probably going to be married to jin in 20 years by Miharu. She really likes teasing Xiao about it, cause she did the same thing in T4.

Inuhanyou

It seems it runs on System N2/ES3. Surprisingly it's the same PC based system that runs Mario Kart Arcade GP DX.

Btw, what cab is that? It's not a Vewlix variant, or is it?

Do we know what System ES3's components are or no? It seems modest based on the Mario Kart game, but you cant take that artstyle with any proof of hardware power

Depends. Tekken 6 took forever and a fucking half. TAG wasn't as bad. No way to really judge with tekken.
Tekken 6 took extraordinary long because they delayed it for a 360 port. It was the first time Tekken was multiplatform and T6's arcade board was the cell, so since it was built basically to be ported just to Ps3, it was a pain in the ass for them to port it to 360. Which is ironic because most of the time devs complained about the Ps3 being difficult to port to.

What's even more ironic is that the 360 version was the better running version of T6. Before or after the optional install, battles loaded considerably faster on 360.

sam777, a reasonable answer would be fall 2015, maybe a whole year but not much longer than that.
Also, in Blood Vengeance there is some decent pointing in that direction. In addition to that there's more hinting with Harada in his interview with Dai Sato for the movie as well about how he's slowly been developing a love story for 'certain characters' for a while, and it'll be realized eventually.

The fact that they are tag partners in both project X zone and sfXT is also pointing to Namco as thinking of them more of a pair in recent years. In tag 2 there was also that line about how Xiao is probably going to be married to jin in 20 years by Miharu. She really likes teasing Xiao about it, cause she did the same thing in T4.
Ah, I like that Harada's writing the story more with how he's envisioned it rather than for his fans. The reason Kazuya was brought back in T4 was because so many people wanted him back. It seems now even though he's not throwing everything his fans are saying out the ears, but he's not sacrificing his own wishes for them/us. Would you mind finding the source behind the tweet though?

Yeah I remember the convo with Miharu in T4, but I never played Tag2 so I don't know about Xiaoyu's ending. Also, Blood Vengeance wasn't canon.

Yudoken

I wish someone would make the game accessible on pc...
I want my Tekken on my PC...
How profitable is Tekken in arcades, anyway?
Not wanna sound like the bad guy but why can't they release the game shortly after the arcade launch?
It takes years for them to release the game on pc and consoles.
I can understand consoles because they're restricted and the game maybe have to be downgraded but on pc... Why?
The game is already build on pc as far as I know...

Not wanna sound like the bad guy but why can't they release the game shortly after the arcade launch?
I can understand consoles because they're restricted and the game maybe have to be downgraded but on pc... Why?

this is the first time Tekken's been built based on a PC. on all the other games, it was the playstation of the time.

and tekken is I guess still a hit in the arcades and that's why they like to keep it there for at least a year before full, home release. i don't think even street fighter does it anymore.

Sayah

The arcade version is the primary revenue source for Tekken. They can't release it instantly on PC and consoles right after arcade because the arcade operators also need to make a profit. An earlier console/PC release means less people coming to arcades and instead playing from home.

Tekken 5 already did what you are asking for, though. The console version released like 3 to 4 months after the arcade version and arcade owners were pissed.

On the other hand, console versions also have a lot more content/modes and need time to develop.

Sayah

TEKKEN 7 is going to be awesome :)

Hope you guys look forward to what we're putting together. :D

I am very excited for it.

I have ignored all the pessimism and am very much looking forward to it. :)

The redesign stuff was just Harada trolling. Unless I'm mistaken, they should have the full cast for February, including any returning fighters they haven't yet revealed. Things can always change down the line, of course.

It's not going to be the full cast. Tekken 7 will have time release characters so whatever you see initially is not the final roster.

- Extremely to put it simply. Tekken is one of the top Arcade games in Japan when they are out until a new version comes out. Tekken tends to hover in the top 10, even after their console counter part releases.

- They can release it soon after if they worked towards it, but they do not for a big reason. Arcade cabinets cost a crazy amount of money, anywhere from $8,000-20,000 per machine or set depending on the game. Considering how much it costs, why would arcades buy it if the console version is out in 2 months? This is the problem Arcades and game devs in Japan face when they release Arcade versions. They have to keep the Arcade owners happy by making a profitable game that pays for the cabinets several times over, that means the console release has to be set a certain distance away. Piss off the Arcade owners, they wont buy your stuff anymore and there goes the dev's profits. Vicious circle type deal.

Similar reason to the many versions of SF4. Vanilla was out in Arcades, the console had extra stuff, then got even more with Super. Capcom can't piss off the arcade owners, so they make Arcade edition of Super, gotta make it different or customers wont play it, so they add characters to that. Once again, console and Arcade were different for a time, mostly cause you gotta keep each other happy.

Same issue with Blazblue at the moment, and eventually Guilty Gear I'm sure. It seems arbitrary as heck for those outside Japan, but its part of the business cycle for Fighters since they eventually make their way to console. For Arcade only games there is obviously not this problem.

Also tekken tends to have extras in spades so thats also extra dev time.

Yudoken

The arcade version is the primary revenue source for Tekken. They can't release it instantly on PC and consoles right after arcade because the arcade operators also need to make a profit. An earlier console/PC release means less people coming to arcades and instead playing from home.

Tekken 5 already did what you are asking for, though. The console version released like 3 to 4 months after the arcade version and arcade owners were pissed.

On the other hand, console versions also have a lot more content/modes and need time to develop.

- Extremely to put it simply. Tekken is one of the top Arcade games in Japan when they are out until a new version comes out. Tekken tends to hover in the top 10, even after their console counter part releases.

- They can release it soon after if they worked towards it, but they do not for a big reason. Arcade cabinets cost a crazy amount of money, anywhere from $8,000-20,000 per machine or set depending on the game. Considering how much it costs, why would arcades buy it if the console version is out in 2 months? This is the problem Arcades and game devs in Japan face when they release Arcade versions. They have to keep the Arcade owners happy by making a profitable game that pays for the cabinets several times over, that means the console release has to be set a certain distance away. Piss off the Arcade owners, they wont buy your stuff anymore and there goes the dev's profits. Vicious circle type deal.

Similar reason to the many versions of SF4. Vanilla was out in Arcades, the console had extra stuff, then got even more with Super. Capcom can't piss off the arcade owners, so they make Arcade edition of Super, gotta make it different or customers wont play it, so they add characters to that. Once again, console and Arcade were different for a time, mostly cause you gotta keep each other happy.

Same issue with Blazblue at the moment, and eventually Guilty Gear I'm sure. It seems arbitrary as heck for those outside Japan, but its part of the business cycle for Fighters since they eventually make their way to console. For Arcade only games there is obviously not this problem.

Also tekken tends to have extras in spades so thats also extra dev time.

Thanks for the answers, I thought it did well but honestly the arcades are way more expensive that it's understandable in Japan but for the rest of the world it's still kinda annoying.
Hopefully they release it with a fantastic online mode (and don't spend all their time just for the console version, give the pc version the same effort and for the online mode too!).

Sayah

Thanks for the answers, I thought it did well but honestly the arcades are way more expensive that it's understandable in Japan but for the rest of the world it's still kinda annoying.
Hopefully they release it with a fantastic online mode (and don't spend all their time just for the console version, give the pc version the same effort and for the online mode too!).

Well, seeing as it's easier to import games and consoles are region free, I don't see how much of a point there would be for leaving Japan out.

Plus, giving the game to the rest of the world on consoles while Japan misses out would likely piss off Japanese fans.

Bgamer90

Banned
ah, fortunate for you that T6 was multiplatform. Will you be playing the new one on Ps4 or xbone?

It's funny how last gen worked out. I got an Xbox 360 before the PS3 released. Still wanted to get a PS3 at the time though for the Playstation exclusives I enjoyed. Then came the price announcement + the announcement that my favorite fighting game series on Playstation 2 -- Tekken and Virtua Fighter -- were going to be multiplatform. Add that in with the fact that new entries in my other favorite Playstation series like GT, Jak, and Sly didn't release until late in the gen (or at all) and it pretty much made me fine with having the Xbox 360.

I have the Xbox One (and Wii U) since it has more current gen console exclusives I'm interested in but I would get a PS4 if Tekken 7 was an exclusive. I love the series too much + the system would have enough exclusives I'm interested in this year for me to want it (that is, if The Order and Uncharted 4 are good; More so worried about the former).

Hoping it won't be an exclusive though since I have an XB1 fightstick that I bought with the intention of using it for more than just Killer Instinct (haha).

It's funny how last gen worked out. I got an Xbox 360 before the PS3 released. Still wanted to get a PS3 at the time though for the Playstation exclusives I enjoyed. Then came the price announcement + the announcement that my favorite fighting game series on Playstation 2 -- Tekken and Virtua Fighter -- were going to be multiplatform. Add that in with the fact that new entries in my other favorite Playstation series like GT, Jak, and Sly didn't release until late in the gen (or at all) and it pretty much made me fine with having the Xbox 360.

I have the Xbox One (and Wii U) since it has more current gen console exclusives I'm interested in but I would get a PS4 if Tekken 7 was an exclusive. I love the series too much + the system would have enough exclusives I'm interested in this year for me to want it (that is, if The Order and Uncharted 4 are good; More so worried about the former).
ah, interesting man, I don't blame you. you're the type of consumer that is a perfect example of the market sony failed to capture due to all their fucking mistakes: late entry, high ass price tags, and barely any effort to secure 3rd party exclusives.

while there is some implication that T7 could be a Ps4 exclusive or even a console exclusive like sf5, the most probable scenario is that it'll be multiplatform. that is after all why they decided to use unreal engine 4, yeah?

Gambit61

TEKKEN 7 is going to be awesome :)

Hope you guys look forward to what we're putting together. :D

I'm looking forward to it. Just wish we had confirmation about whether it's coming to PC or not. Would be great to have SFV, MKX and T7 on one machine.

Bgamer90

Banned
while there is some implication that T7 could be a Ps4 exclusive or even a console exclusive like sf5, the most probable scenario is that it'll be multiplatform. that is after all why they decided to use unreal engine 4, yeah?

I could see Tekken 7 having some exclusive PS4 features but I do hope that it's multiplatform just for the simple fact that I want to use my fightstick for more than just KI.

I believe Tekken sold more on the PS3 in North America last gen (due to the series' roots) but I think it would still do pretty well on the Xbox One due to there still not being many fighting games on the system.

I could see Tekken 7 having some exclusive PS4 features but I do hope that it's multiplatform just for the simple fact that I want to use my fightstick for more than just KI.

I believe Tekken sold more on the PS3 in North America last gen (due to the series' roots) but I think it would still do pretty well on the Xbox One due to there still not being many fighting games on the system.

if tekken is multiplatform it's gonna be the exact same game on both/all platforms. the Ps3 versions of 6 and tag didn't have any advantages to the 360 versions.

tbh, I don't see tekken having much success mostly because the roots like you said, also it seems most people just like playing fighting games in general on playstation, but tekken has pretty much flopped on any system other than playstation seeing how it was exclusive to that platform for so long.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
SFIV got imported last time, so maybe we'll see Tekken 7 arcade units in the states.

We won't see T7 official arcade units in the US. The way the infrastructure works it won't work if it's imported. It has to be an official release otherwise once the unit runs out of plays that's GG.

LowParry

Well, seeing as it's easier to import games and consoles are region free, I don't see how much of a point there would be for leaving Japan out.

Plus, giving the game to the rest of the world on consoles while Japan misses out would likely piss off Japanese fans.

I don't know. Different times these days compared how they were back in the Tekken 6 days. But eh, who knows. If this turns into another 2 year wait, fuck it.

Day 1 baby!

Bgamer90

Banned
if tekken is multiplatform it's gonna be the exact same game on both/all platforms. the Ps3 versions of 6 and tag didn't have any advantages to the 360 versions.

I was mainly referring to the possibility of Sony making a deal for exclusive content.

tbh, I don't see tekken having much success mostly because the roots like you said, also it seems most people just like playing fighting games in general on playstation, but tekken has pretty much flopped on any system other than playstation seeing how it was exclusive to that platform for so long.

There's definitely a bigger fighting game user base on Playstation (since the system is doing better worldwide) but I think it would still do well on the XB1 (well, at least in America) since there aren't that many fighting games on the system.

It should do better than whatever TTT2 did/sold on the Wii U at least (haha).

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
The fact that a new Tekken is coming is kinda bitter sweet for me; I still fear that the paywall will harm the game's online community on the PS4.

Accoun

We won't see T7 official arcade units in the US. The way the infrastructure works it won't work if it's imported. It has to be an official release otherwise once the unit runs out of plays that's GG.

Yeah, Harada said in an interview that they would have to "port" the whole infrastructure to US/EU (servers, maintainance etc.) and there's not enough potential clients in the west for that.
And they don't seem willing to make a fully offline version either.

Lernaean

Banned
Do we know what System ES3's components are or no? It seems modest based on the Mario Kart game, but you cant take that artstyle with any proof of hardware power

Yes, it sounds outdated to me as well.
System N2 generally has an nForce2 chip and a GeForce graphics card. ES3 is said to be running Win7, and the MK game that runs on the same hardware is Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, released on arcades in 2013, not the previous versions that run on Triforce.
I really don't know how powerful the hardware is and how it compares to current hardware, but being essentially a PC, i suppose it's easy to port to and from.

Tech facts. ES stands probably for Enhanced System, and it's a series of HW Namco tends to go back to.
ES3 is understandably not ES1, so while we don't know much about ES3, we do know that ES1 used a nVidia 9800GT. ES3 is bound to use a better graphics card.
I still think it's outdated. The more i read about it, the more it sounds comparable to last gen hardware to me.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's not going to be the full cast. Tekken 7 will have time release characters so whatever you see initially is not the final roster.

Gosh darn it, I suppose I should have figured as much. Ah well, something to pad out the wait 'til the home release I guess.

I was mainly referring to the possibility of Sony making a deal for exclusive content.
I was one of the few or many, that thought Sony was gonna do exclusive content for T6, and that was never the case. Unless bandai namco decides to do something like add a sony character on their own accord (I think it was capcom's and netherealm's ideas to put cole and kratos in in sfxt and mk9, respectively), I really don't think there will be a difference in the two versions. If anything, bandai namco will optimize all ports meaning the Ps4 will be the best version of the game.

There's definitely a bigger fighting game user base on Playstation (since the system is doing better worldwide) but I think it would still do well on the XB1 (well, at least in America) since there aren't that many fighting games on the system.

It should do better than whatever TTT2 did/sold on the Wii U at least (haha).

I see what you're saying, although with the move to have sf5 a console exclusive, it's just making the Ps4 seem to be the console to have for fighting games, same way the xbone and the xbox brand is pretty much seen that way for shooters. but who knows.

with common knowledge being that playstation will have the most robust online for Tekken 7, I think it'll add more incentive for gamers who don't already have a new gen console, to buy it on Ps4.

Inuhanyou

Yes, it sounds outdated to me as well.
System N2 generally has an nForce2 chip and a GeForce graphics card. ES3 is said to be running Win7, and the MK game that runs on the same hardware is Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, released on arcades in 2013, not the previous versions that run on Triforce.
I really don't know how powerful the hardware is and how it compares to current hardware, but being essentially a PC, i suppose it's easy to port to and from.

Tech facts. ES stands probably for Enhanced System, and it's a series of HW Namco tends to go back to.
ES3 is understandably not ES1, so while we don't know much about ES3, we do know that ES1 used a nVidia 9800GT. ES3 is bound to use a better graphics card.
I still think it's outdated. The more i read about it, the more it sounds comparable to last gen hardware to me.

Well i don't think any Japanese outside maybe SE have jumped onto advanced technology like that...Guilty Gear Xrd is using the GPU equivalent of a GT555 with 4gb system ram and 1gb GDDR5 at 70gb and an i3....i don't expect Namco to pay out for anything higher than a 1tflop equivalent card anyways...unlike previous Tekken games, i expect PS4 to play this at full 1080p60fps. No dynamic res or 500p nonsense of the previous gen

Bgamer90

Banned
I was one of the few or many, that thought Sony was gonna do exclusive content for T6, and that was never the case. Unless bandai namco decides to do something like add a sony character on their own accord (I think it was capcom's and netherealm's ideas to put cole and kratos in in sfxt and mk9, respectively), I really don't think there will be a difference in the two versions. If anything, bandai namco will optimize all ports meaning the Ps4 will be the best version of the game.

If I remember correctly, they showed some Tekken stuff at PSX for the brand's 20th anniversary. Overall, you could be right but (as I said before) I wouldn't be surprised if Sony makes a deal.

I see what you're saying, although with the move to have sf5 a console exclusive, it's just making the Ps4 seem to be the console to have for fighting games, same way the xbone and the xbox brand is pretty much seen that way for shooters. but who knows.

with common knowledge being that playstation will have the most robust online for Tekken 7, I think it'll add more incentive for gamers who don't already have a new gen console, to buy it on Ps4.

Yeah, PS4 Tekken 7 will definitely have more players online for obvious reasons.

Ugh. It would be nice if it was multiplatform though just for the sake of me wanting to use the fighting stick I already have.

If I remember correctly, they showed some Tekken stuff at PSX for the brand's 20th anniversary. Overall, you could be right but (as I said before) I wouldn't be surprised if Sony makes a deal.
Hm, I think I do recall hearing about Harada being there, but I don't remember any tekken footage being revealed. I think he was just there for his Morpheus project.

If there was T7 stuff from it can you post it please? It's probably old news now but still would be interesting to see what about T7 was shown/revealed there, if anything.

Yeah, Tekken 7 will definitely have more players online for obvious reasons.

Ugh. It would be nice if it was multiplatform though just for the sake of me wanting to use the fighting stick I already have.

lol don't worry bro the most likely scenario is that will be multiplatform.

But I'm just saying, an announcement of it ring an exclusive would undoubtedly be a pleasant surprise.

Bgamer90

Banned
Hm, I think I do recall hearing about Harada being there, but I don't remember any tekken footage being revealed. I think he was just there for his Morpheus project.

If there was T7 stuff from it can you post it please? It's probably old news now but still would be interesting to see what about T7 was shown/revealed there, if anything.

It wasn't any Tekken 7 footage -- it was just some clips of the PS1/PS2 Tekkens (if I remember correctly).

lol don't worry bro the most likely scenario is that will be multiplatform.

Hope so. Spent a decent amount of money on my fight stick. (haha)

Skilletor

they're already making fighting sticks for xbone? and it only works with that system?

They've had one since launch. The KI TE2.
There are a couple of options now from MadCatz (non branded TE2), and hori has a RAP on the console now. Both sticks only work on XB1, although Markman said they're looking into a possible 360/xb1 stick.

Top Bottom