• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 PC performance thread

Well, I'll agree that some of the effects seem to bring the image quality down quite a lot but it seems my laptop:

i7-6700HQ @ 2.6GHz
16GB DDR4
GTX 1060 6GB

is pretty easily handling this game even at 2560x1440, which is the default resolution it opts for, with the Ultra preset.

Still looks better than on my PS4 Pro (I double dipped), despite some of the image quality complaints about blur.

It felt like I was just barely riding the recommended line on specs prior to release, so I'm glad it turned out ok. Gears of War 4 was another UE4 game that ran extremely well on this laptop, but I admit I didn't have a lot of trust coming from a Bandai Namco published game in terms of optimization (I had my Steam refund option at the ready). Means I'll be able to do some practice lab at work. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So heh what I am supposed to do to improve the look of the game ?

I play at 1080p and it looks super blurry despite 200 rendering.

Aside from disabling chromatic aberration and film grain, nothing.

Yudoken

So heh what I am supposed to do to improve the look of the game ?

I play at 1080p and it looks super blurry despite 200 rendering.

Use downsampling instead of 200 rendering.

It's a much better solution and looks noticeable better especially with no ca and film grain.

gngf123

Could only play for half an hour, but I'm very surprised and happy with how well this runs at 1080p on my old HD7950, I7 3770K, 16gb RAM rig.

When I get home tomorrow I'll be spending a lot more time with this.

Skilletor

I haven't been following the game much, but I was always under the impression it was supposed to be one of or the best looking fighter based on what people were saying. Was there some sort of unexpected downgrade from what people had been seeing earlier? Definitely seems like it has some image quality issues.

IQ on consoles for Tekken was shit for T6 and TTT2. I've always been skeptical.

Game looks great, but IQ on PS4 is really bad after coming from PC.

Pachimari

Just got that D3D snapshot crash after spending 20 minutes on a sick Eliza outfit FeelsBadMan

Yeah, I'm trying to find a solution. I found one post on reddit but I haven't tried it out myself yet:

if you experience crashes because of the D3D Engine, try to set your screen mode from borderless to fullscreen and turn of DSR, set the Resolution to your native Resolution.

How do I turn off DSR?

Yeah, I spoke too soon. Kuma and Panda absolutely tank my performance at 4K. The framerate drops down to around 46fps regularly with those two on screen at once. I was doing test matches at 4K at 200 Resolution scale just for giggles and didn't seem to drop below 59fps on the few stages I tried. I didn't do indepth testing, so I can't say my frametimes were completely stable or anything. No rage arts or supers were done, but I was honestly surprised. The kids playroom stage with the bears is murder though.

Same sentiment here, the Bears absolutely tank framerates on PC compared to everyone else. I can get a smooth 60 FPS 4k with non-Bears but with Bears I've seen drops to as low as the high 30's with the game being unable to run at a solid 60 FPS with the two close to each other. I presume they have some fur modeling going on that's tanking FPS that hopefully we can disable at some point.

1 Not-Bear vs 1 Bear seems to keep me at 60 FPS except during Rage arts
2 Not-Bears is 60 FPS through anything
2 Bears is Slowdown City

So it's installed. But when it starts it's a weird green-purple colour and only a quarter of the image (the top left) is viewable. Something to do with my desktop at 4K? Also I have the latest nvidia drivers.
Help.

FaintDeftone

Man, now that you guys are saying the game runs like a champ on a 970, I may consider picking this up now. I have an Xbox 360 arcade stick that I can use on this.

Smilax

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z170X-UD3

Processor : Intel Core i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz no OC

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 no OC, not on latest drivers

RAM : 16 GB

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

What settings do you think I'll be able to run it?

Ok. Seems if I switch my desktop to 1080p I get the same problem so there's an issue with 1080p on my TV from my PC (which I've never experienced before). Fucking odd. How can I start the game at 4K?

Also Tekken doesn't show up in my GeForce Experience games list and I searched for it. Fuck me.

Edit: I think it's the drivers. No game starts in 1080p without going weird green and shit. The desktop also goes weird at 1080p. Pretty sure this has only been an issue since the Tekken drivers were installed a few days ago. No time to uninstall now. Another example of Nvidia fucking up? Nobody else have this issue?

Tyaren

I though taking photos with the share button compressed them? Maybe I was wrong.

You can set your screenshots to PNG format which does not compress the image. JPG format, which is the default option I believe, does compress the image severely however. If people then upload their JPGs to Twitter or Facebook the IQ is butchered even more.

I took a few comparison shots between PS4 Pro and PC. I tried using screenshot comparison but it doesn't seem to work.

PS4 Pro

https://ibb.co/ci6Vha

PC 4K (Downsampled to 1440p)

https://ibb.co/g9c32a

The worst offenders on the PS4 Pro are poor texture filtering and dialed back ambient occlusion it seems.
I would have thought at least the texture filtering would be improved on the Pro. Disappointing :/

Fitts

Had to go to bed last night, but checked the thread to get some tips and then booted the game up to do some quick tweaking. Not able to mess with this until tonight, but what's the difference between the post processing settings? I set it to low straight out of the gate to eliminate "softness," but I see that turning off CA and grain kills that anyway. So what's the advantage of high/ultra after they're turned off? What's the difference between low and medium?

Reposting for new page.

s_mirage

Is resolution scaling actually working properly? 1080p with resolution scaling set to 200 looks decidedly more aliased than I'd expect.

Skilletor

I can run it at solid 60fps @ 1080p on ultra settings. I have the same CPU and a GTX680.

Renekton

1080p Ultra

My friend with GTX970 pushed to 1440p with some settings turned down

BigEmil

UE4 games, running in 60fps, seem to not scale down so well on consoles. Another example is Street Fighter V. It also doesn't look half as good on PS4 as it looks on PC. Poor IQ, blurry textures, poor texture filtering and those dithered shadows. At least they seem to have finally fixed those in the beta or turned them simply off.
Unreal Engine 3 games however seem to run and look just fine on PS4, Injustice 2 and Guilty Gear Xrd being two prime examples.
No tech expert here, but maybe UE4 isn't as optimized for consoles yet?
Most UE3 games so far looks and performs better on consoles than UE4, so yeah i'd say UE4 isn't as optimised for console as UE3 is which can yield better visuals and performance it's why alot of devs sticking with UE3

I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I just love comparison shots.

I'll just leave this here.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211546

PS4 version was not only taken in .jpg with share button but also uploaded to imgur with further compression on top
http://i.imgur.com/u59ZX5U.jpg
Whereas your downsampled pc screenshot was taken directly with png and not uploaded to imgur compression
Though you likely knew this anyway but did it just to spread misleading pics

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Ultra 1080p no sweat.

Momentary

Banned
I took a few comparison shots between PS4 Pro and PC. I tried using screenshot comparison but it doesn't seem to work.

PS4 Pro

https://ibb.co/ci6Vha

PC 4K (Downsampled to 1440p)

https://ibb.co/g9c32a

The comparison website only accepts up to a certain file size. That's why I have to change my files to jpeg. If there's a better screenshot comparison website out there that doesn't require me to convert files to jpeg I would love to here it.

Tyaren

I was trying to find a pro shot in the screenshot thread, but I couldn't find any. I don't like trying to use promotional "ps4 pro" promotional screenshots.

Pro shots have already been posted. I just don't know by who and in which thread anymore. Anyway, here they are:

tekken_7_249raw.png

tekken_7_3hcq65.png

BigEmil

The comparison website only accepts up to a certain file size. That's why I have to change my files to jpeg. If there's a better screenshot comparison website out there that doesn't require me to convert files to jpeg I would love to here it.
The PS4 shot was compressed twice whereas the PC screenshot was only compressed once maybe the website wouldn't be best to compare with, outside of the proper PS4 Pro vs PC screenshots posted here the same for original PS4 would be good from what i seen it looks pretty good on aging 2013 console hardware running at stable 60fps

Tecnniqe

Banned
V-sync on or off? I have a g-sync monitor

V-sync in Nvidia control panel on (or limit the FPS to your monitor via something like RTSS but considering its locked 60FPS? it's fine regardless what you do I think. Personally I got it turned off for everything). G-sync in Nvidia control panel on (you should limit games just below your refresh rate for this anyway). V-sync in game off.

As popular as it seems to be right now, I imagine modders will help sort this soon.

I hope.

Skyzard

Banned
When I do this my CA is definitely gone, but so seems to be the motion blur?

Yes I think you're right.

It's a shame...CA looks real bad, especially on background characters in the distance like on Souk.

And motion blur looks really good in-game...

I'm trying to decide between the two now.

Momentary

Banned
The PS4 shot was compressed twice whereas the PC screenshot was only compressed once maybe the website wouldn't be best to compare with, outside of the proper PS4 Pro vs PC screenshots posted here the same for original PS4 would be good from what i seen it looks pretty good on aging 2013 console hardware running at stable 60fps

Okay... I was just trying to do a quick and dirty comparison. If you can find some better PS4 screenshots I'd appreciate it.

Here's a PS4 Pro PC Comparison shot using ZeroX03's pic. I had to change both PNG files to JPEG for it to upload to the website.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211578

And for the record I think both PS4 and PS4 Pro version of the game look good for the hardware they are running on.

Also, here's an online match of PC version showing off Max graphics with Max motion blur at 4K. Match had some slowdown, but was pretty good. I should have done a treasure mode recording. I might do that later on today.

Also I haven't played Tekken in 7 years, so I am pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGgSPe21LmQ&feature=youtu.be

Uploaded at a humongous bitrate. His a screen cap.

Looking around the net seems I'm the only one with this issue (oversized green/purple screen for 1080p and 1440p games and desktop).
Maybe it's not a driver issue.

I'm at work so can't try anything now but this is insane. If I could get it to start windowed it could help. How can I make a game windowed without entering its menu?

Hmm. Ini file change? Is the resolution the game starts in in the ini file? And if it is can it be changed to 4K? Still need to find out what's causing this oversized green/purple screen though.

Yes I think you're right.

It's a shame...CA looks real bad, especially on background characters in the distance like on Souk.

And motion blur looks really good in-game...

I'm trying to decide between the two now.

I'm pretty sure the Motion Blur is on with CA off... But CA might add to the effect.

I totally do notice a difference between Motion Blur off and highest setting available after disabling the CA.

EDIT: Never mind, you guys might be right... But I see an effect added on the intros/outros? ???

Skyzard

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Motion Blur is on with CA off... But CA might add to the effect.

I totally do notice a difference between Motion Blur off and highest setting available after disabling the CA.

EDIT: Never mind, you guys might be right... But I see an effect added on the intros/outros? ???

No idea man, it's a bit annoying they aren't included to toggle separately. I'm pretty sure it is disabled.

I'm gonna leave it all at default, max settings 1440p and call it a day lol.

Will play in 4K with my next gpu upgrade.

...or if they improve performance. Redout was UE4 and they improved the performance a tonne by rewriting stuff in c++... not going to hold my breath but it'd be sweet if they optimised t7 a bit more.

dawid

Are you guys without gsync monitors playing with vsync on or off?

I find that the tearing is actually quite bad in "fullscreen" mode vsync turned off. And with borderless the game feels choppy even at 60fps.

Are you going with the tearing or the input lag from vsync?

Someone mentioned that the console versions have slow load times, I assume this is not the case with PC right? I mean, SSD up in this bitch.

Tain

V-sync on or off? I have a g-sync monitor

Shouldn't make any difference. The game's preference only kicks in when you leave your monitor's gsync range, and Tekken is locked at 60.

If you have a G-Sync monitor then V-Sync should *always* be off.

ehhh

When I get above 144 fps in Dead Rising I'd rather have a tiny amount of potential input lag (at those high frequencies) than tearing.

Tyaren

There really should also be an option on consoles to turn off effects like film grain and chromatic aberration, especally when they are that intrusive and when they make the IQ look worse. I don't know why they still force these effects down console gamers' throats. :/

Shouldn't make any difference. The game's preference only kicks in when you leave your monitor's gsync range, and Tekken is locked at 60.

This what I thought, so how does this option affect non g-sync users when the game is still capped at 60?
Aren't non g-sync users getting any input-lag with v-sync on?

Tain

This what I thought, so how does this option affect non g-sync users when the game is still capped at 60?
Aren't non g-sync users getting any input-lag with v-sync on?

Yup, non-gsync users will be getting some input lag with vsync on or tearing with it off, barring any external tweaking via control panel or other software.

Top Bottom