• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

BigAT

How is Tekken traditionally at matching you against similarly skilled opponents when playing online? I was thinking of picking this up despite not having very much experience with it (read: I'm going to be bad) and I'm hoping it will do a decent job of matchmaking so that I'll actually be able to learn and have relatively competitive matches.

The last fighting game I tried to pick up was MvC3, which was terrible in this regard. I bounced off that game incredibly quickly since it was impossible to improve when most matches involved me just getting juggled and killed the entire time.

LordKasual

Banned
How is Tekken traditionally at matching you against similarly skilled opponents when playing online? I was thinking of picking this up despite not having very much experience with it (read: I'm going to be bad) and I'm hoping it will do a decent job of matchmaking so that I'll actually be able to learn and have relatively competitive matches.

The last fighting game I tried to pick up was MvC3, which was terrible in this regard. I bounced off that game incredibly quickly since it was impossible to improve when most matches involved me just getting juggled and killed the entire time.

That's just how fighting games are online though. It always starts with learning how to not get hit :D

TTT2 seemed to be pretty decent with its matchmaking IIRC.

Well, there are always going to be smurfs who make new accounts so they can beat up newbies or weaker players for 'fun'. Especially late in a game's life.

Also, on day one all the experienced players will start with a low rank too.

Aside from that, it's generally very good and if you get in early there should be A LOT of new players you can get matched with.

BigAT

Well, there are always going to be smurfs who make new accounts so they can beat up newbies or weaker players for 'fun'. Especially late in a game's life.

Aside from that, it's generally very good and if you get in early there should be A LOT of new players you can get matched with.

Right, I can appreciate that it will take a bit to sort out and smurfs are a reality with any online game, but there is a system in place to at least try to sort players based on ranking/skill?

Danielsan

Yeah, I'm banking on having most of the fun online in the first 1-2 months.

I feel unique sometimes lol, I'm actually looking forward to playing against higher skilled players and get bodied.

It's where I'll get the most experience and knowledge.

cordy

Banned
Dammit, I keep lowering my Tekken 7 interest by looking at old Tekken stuff. Listening to the Tekken 5 OST... man these tracks are hype as hell. Haven't heard anything in T7 that comes close.

I'm edging closer and closer to not picking this up on release. The idea would sound crazy to myself a year ago, but Tekken 7 has been around for so long now that so little of it feels fresh or exciting. I've been following the arcade version's development since it was first announced, and I just don't see how what they're bringing to the home version could justify the wait. I'm so bored of these characters. I'm no longer impressed by the 'everything is greasy/shiny' UE4 look. Namco is doing the bare minimum to advertise the game just under two weeks out from release. Customization looks even worse than Tekken Tag Tournament 2's, despite there being fewer characters than even Tekken 6. No one ever answers any tough questions.

Withholding final judgement until release, but I'm buckling in for disappointment. To be more succinct, I've already seen enough of the game to know that most of what I value in Tekken is severely lacking or missing in Tekken 7.

Man, I'm just going to say it, I don't think you need to get the game. I noticed it months ago but it's like every post you make about the game is either negative or comes from a somewhat disappointing tone. You've let the hype get to you and you've become so absorbed in how the game's been since it's released in arcades and have soured yourself. Rather than wanting a new Tekken game it's like you came in with certain expectations and now years later there's no way they can meet it.

Just don't pick up the game. There's way more out there for you to play.

Doomshine

From what I understand you can pick your opponents online from a list this time so it might be easier to stick to similarly skilled players?

Danielsan

By the by, I've been reading up on some of techs and it seems that back dash cancelling is a huge thing. Would you guys say it's a required skill to learn if you want to stand a chance online? It doesn't exactly seem like a fun way to play the game.

Gin-Shiio

I used to follow TekkenGAF on a regular basis. You wouldn't have found more negative opinions on this game anywhere else for the longest time. Too much change, not enough change; the disappointment was palpable. Every month one poster would proclaim being done with the franchise, only to return sometime later. I think some of you have a strange case of Stockholm syndrome. You don't have to want this game.

Yudoken

From what I understand you can pick your opponents online from a list this time so it might be easier to stick to similarly skilled players?

They're really quite about it.

I've heard that it's similar to USF IV which was definitely better and faster than SF V train wreck online matchmaking.

I'm really confident that T7 will be an excellent game for complete beginner and veterans alike.

LordKasual

Banned
By the by, I've been reading up on some of techs and it seems that back dash cancelling is a huge thing. Would you guys say it's a required skill to learn if you want to stand a chance online? It doesn't exactly seem like a fun way to play the game.

Required to stand a chance? No. At least until you get to a level where people are consistently doing it.

Will give you a massive boost in footsies? Yes. Especially at lower levels.

Technical skill is always only another tool in a character's arsenal, so the only time it becomes "required" is when everyone around you is using it and you're at a disadvantage because of it.

I feel like new players really shouldn't be worrying about fighting high-level players.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Man, I'm just going to say it, I don't think you need to get the game. I noticed it months ago but it's like every post you make about the game is either negative or comes from a somewhat disappointing tone. You've let the hype get to you and you've become so absorbed in how the game's been since it's released in arcades and have soured yourself. Rather than wanting a new Tekken game it's like you came in with certain expectations and now years later there's no way they can meet it.

Just don't pick up the game. There's way more out there for you to play.

You're probably right. It's just a very bitter feeling because I've invested a lot of my time and myself into this. I've been hanging with the Tekken community for over a decade. Now we're here two weeks from release, and I'm finally opening my eyes to the fact that there's no secret trapdoor-- there's not going to be any surprise announcement to excite me again. Anyway, I don't hold any expectation that doesn't come from a previous Tekken game. Maybe I was just addicted to the fat of the series and now they've stripped it all out. Fuck me I guess.

I think I'm going to drop my Tekken feeds for a while. Just let it leave me. Gah.

Wallach

Learning the ins and outs of movement is probably the first core skill you should focus on, yeah. An opponent outmaneuvering you in this kind of game gives them an advantage both offensively and defensively.

That doesn't mean you need to become a master of optimal dash canceling before you can even play online. It's a skill you'll develop over time.

Pachimari

I used to follow TekkenGAF on a regular basis. You wouldn't have found more negative opinions on this game anywhere else for the longest time. Too much change, not enough change; the disappointment was palpable. Every month one poster would proclaim being done with the franchise, only to return sometime later. I think some of you have a strange case of Stockholm syndrome. You don't have to want this game.
That is some time ago, and I would say it's cooled down now that we are closer to release. Some of us are really excited actually.

And I get wait to lose and lose and lose online and try to figure out what I did wrong. Hopefully the game has a replay feature like Tag 2.

LordKasual

Banned
Learning the ins and outs of movement is probably the first core skill you should focus on, yeah. An opponent outmaneuvering you in this kind of game gives them an advantage both offensively and defensively.

That doesn't mean you need to become a master of optimal dash canceling before you can even play online. It's a skill you'll develop over time.

Yeah...proficiency in tech skill is usually on a gradient.

Unless you can identify it as the key reason you're losing (it wont be) then you can focus on other aspects of your play before you try to perfect an advanced tool.

cordy

Banned
You're probably right. It's just a very bitter feeling because I've invested a lot of my time and myself into this. I've been hanging with the Tekken community for over a decade. Now we're here two weeks from release, and I'm finally opening my eyes to the fact that there's no secret trapdoor-- there's not going to be any surprise announcement to excite me again. Anyway, I don't hold any expectation that doesn't come from a previous Tekken game. Maybe I was just addicted to the fat of the series and now they've stripped it all out. Fuck me I guess.

I think I'm going to drop my Tekken feeds for a while. Just let it leave me. Gah.

What did you want out of the game? Meaning, what could they have done? Say you just heard about T7 and they announced it was hitting consoles June 2, you hadn't been watching any videos, what would have worked for you from them?

Right, I can appreciate that it will take a bit to sort out and smurfs are a reality with any online game, but there is a system in place to at least try to sort players based on ranking/skill?

They haven't shown much but it the ranking system should -at least- be as good as Tag 2. Which had a great and fast matchmaking system and competent but not amazing skill ranking.

If you really want to learn to play btw, i recommend hooking up with the folks in the Tekken OT and find a/some training partners. It makes for a more fun experience than playing randoms.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What did you want out of the game? Meaning, what could they have done? Say you just heard about T7 and they announced it was hitting consoles June 2, you hadn't been watching any videos, what would have worked for you from them?

That would take a very long winded answer, and I think it will just frustrate me more to put it together. I've clearly gotten too close to this stupid game, and right now I just want to let go of it for a while. Sorry.

cordy

Banned
That would take a very long winded answer, and I think it will just frustrate me more to put it together. I've clearly gotten too close to this stupid game, and right now I just want to let go of it for a while. Sorry.

Man it's all good, don't be sorry to me you just need to step away from it as it looks to be damaging you a bit. Be well because your health is more important than a game.

I feel unique sometimes lol, I'm actually looking forward to playing against higher skilled players and get bodied.

It's where I'll get the most experience and knowledge.

Ironically, I find this to be true for every fighting game except Tekken. During my short-lived TTT2 online experience, I felt like I learned the most from players who were only a couple levels higher than me. Playing against someone who greatly outclasses you in Tekken is like watching a hurricane destroy your house, lol.

In Capcom fighters and the couple anime fighters I've tried, I can watch replays and understand what their thought process was or be impressed by a setup I've never seen before. In Tekken, I sit there bewildered by my opponent's movement and awareness of their character's 100 moves, and their seemingly perfect spacing and timing they have when using each. And seeing nearly all my buttons get crushed or low parried... feelsbadman. I know it's because I'm playing poorly or predictably, not because my opponent is a god, but I still feel like I'm not learning as much when they're that much better than me, compared to someone who is only a few notches above my skill level.

That said, I'm really looking forward to taking this game online lol. Maybe this'll be the one I stay dedicated to long enough to at least become decent in. Hope the netcode is good!

Mokujin

It's a skill that raises your overall ceiling but there are a ton of things that makes a solid player, not really required per se and you can get by with even cheap sidestep backdash cancelling to some extent till you get used to proper backdash cancelling.

DSix

Banned

TTT2 has an excellent matchmaking system that always provides me with great and interesting matches (even today), and I'm no pro (my highest rank was Warrior, which is not very high at all).
The ranking system is good and you should quickly find the right rank for your play level.

I don't expect anything less from T7.

I'm at a fairly average level, and I never did a korean backdash cancel in my life. Only the best players do it at the highest levels. You do not need to ever worry about it unless you want to go to pro tournaments.

Any urley copies out in the wild yet?

Gotta know the right people.

18252157_1910730519170074_8462887144396947456_n.jpg

Looking at that 2nd character trailer made me realize how brawler-heavy the lineup is now. Every guy seems to have tree trunks for arms and swings like a Mac truck.

I really want them to go back to more realistically proportioned people who use actual martial arts. I'm getting to the point where I think it's time for Harada to step down and let someone new take over.

You've let the hype get to you and you've become so absorbed in how the game's been since it's released in arcades and have soured yourself. Rather than wanting a new Tekken game it's like you came in with certain expectations and now years later there's no way they can meet it.

To be fair, I think this may be the longest Tekken arcade -> console release gap, and it has the least amount of home additions since maybe T2. Missing big classic characters like Lei and the Wangs, no Team Battle mode, no Survival mode, no Ball/Bowl, no Tekken Force. And with a mediocre wubby soundtrack and underwhelming stages.

So I think it's totally fair to be disappointed by the console release. I certainly am.

NEO0MJ

Gotta know the right people.

I wonder who he gave the extra copies to. Don't think he's cycling between discs at home, lol.

Looking at that 2nd character trailer made me realize how brawler-heavy the lineup is now. Every guy seems to have tree trunks for arms and swings like a Mac truck.

It's strange how both this and SF suffer from the same problem. While not as bad in GG Sol Badguy seems to be taking the same stuff as well now.

cordy

Banned
To be fair, I think this may be the longest Tekken arcade -> console release gap, and it has the least amount of home additions since maybe T2. Missing big classic characters like Lei and the Wangs, no Team Battle mode, no Survival mode, no Ball/Bowl, no Tekken Force. And with a mediocre wubby soundtrack and underwhelming stages.

So I think it's totally fair to be disappointed by the console release. I certainly am.

I think there's a difference between being disappointed and upset by it. I can understand how some can be disappointed, definitely. With that said there's some great enhancements that don't get enough attention. It's like I see more people upset than highlight the good things they've seen and also at the same time it depends how you look at it. Gameplay-wise, with the new Rage Arts, Drives and Power Crushes, slow-mo and tailspin instead of Bound, that's an evolution that makes sense to me. If people don't like it that's ok, it's just not the same ol gameplay as we saw last gen which was needed. You also have an improved Story Mode over Scenario, you've also got Akuma which is pretty interesting. Characters finally have new costumes and we're finally getting down to the nitty gritty storyline-wise. We see Nina and Steve finally having character development, Law/Feng and the whole Mishima Saga. With the gameplay and storylines, individual characters that do appear I see a noticeable improvement which is something that's been lacking.

But there are negatives such as certain classics missing, the lack of some modes and then the music and stages. With Jukebox I can make due with the music, stages? It depends. Either way what I'm saying is with the amount of time they've had, what they've put time into and all the comments towards development, one thing that sticks out to me is something would have to be hit in order to include everything people want. If you want more modes, something has to be taken out. Better stages and music? That's more understandable but the extra modes, characters, nah we're going to have Story Mode take a hit or the graphics or just something in general.

Overall, there's no possible way to include all of that plus the classic characters, extra modes and everything else people want. Something has to be a trade off. I'm not sure what that trade off would be but either way it would disappoint a good amount of people either way you cut it.

Jer

Yeah I'm excited about the console release and will be getting T7 day one, but the omissions are really frustrating. Games in development for this long really shouldn't be missing staple characters and modes that have been in every Tekken for over 20 years. It's especially frustrating because Tekken has normally been so good about this, especially T5 and TTT2, which felt super complete. I never would have expected to be looking at a T7 launch without Julia or team battle, just feels off.

And I don't agree that we had to sacrifice classic stuff to get new stuff - T5 showed it was very possible to have tons of new stuff without really losing anything, and I think the last time a character was removed from a Tekken game was clear back in T4.

cordy

Banned
And I don't agree that we had to sacrifice classic stuff to get new stuff - T5 showed it was very possible to have tons of new stuff without really losing anything, and I think the last time a character was removed from a Tekken game was clear back in T4.

Are you saying you don't think Tekken Team was working hard enough to include everything in the game that they could? Are you saying they got lazy with this game?

AAK

I've probably been the most negative about Tekken 7 out of anyone else on this forum. I still get salty here and there but I just have to come to terms with Namco's vision and stop expecting them to innovate like they did with Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 which is what I was expecting after Tag 2 + Unreal Engine change.

People are happy with what they see and my negativity was taking that away from other people. I'll still look forward to playing it with the friends I've made throughout the series but keep my anticipation for that purpose only. It's time to let go of expecting the series to make a grand evolution and be content with constant iterative additions here on out.

However, I'll forever swear by these 3 things:

- The arcade exclusivity model in this day and age is bullshit. Namco's denied the rest of the world access to the game which has no effect on the arcade revenue since arcades that can aford Tekken don't even exist anymore outside of east/south-east asia.

- 95% of the customizations/accessories/auras are abhorrently ugly and destroy the game's presentation when there is no feature to disable them from appearing on your screen.

- Having the same tailspin animation for when the opponent is being juggled sideturned/backturned is butt ugly and also makes the game far less presentable.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Prediction, everyone that says they won't buy it because of whatever pet character not being in it will either have it day one, or wasn't actually going to get it anyway.

Same story for every sequel to a fighting game ever.

Also the stupid customisations are one of my favourite features.

cordy

Banned
- The arcade exclusivity model in this day and age is bullshit. Namco's denied the rest of the world access to the game which has no effect on the arcade revenue since arcades that can aford Tekken don't even exist anymore outside of east/south-east asia.
They use the arcade profits to fund the console version though and per Harada's comments, if they didn't have that model they couldn't have continued the series past 5. Without the arcade model's profits the console version wouldn't be receiving all the extra modes, characters, cutscenes and stuff. If it released on consoles the same day as arcade then it would be a far worse version. Not only is that a bad product to the fans of the series but that's a bad business decision as a whole.

It's not really a similar situation as a NRS game or even SFV where Sony helped them to a degree.

AAK

I'm not asking for a story mode.

Release a FTP version of Tekken that's simply the 1v1 battles online that follows the same Pay2Play model of the arcades but for the North American/European markets. It can even have the ticket system like Tekken Revolution payable via PSN/XBL/Steam all while Namco's still making all that arcade money in Japan/Korea.

Release the full Tekken 7 with the story mode whenever they're ready for the casuals to buy. Just don't deny the world the game on a platform they can't play.

cordy

Banned
I'm not asking for a story mode.

Release a FTP version of Tekken that's simply the 1v1 battles online that follows the same Pay2Play model of the arcades but for the North American/European markets. It can even have the ticket system like Tekken Revolution payable via PSN/XBL/Steam all while Namco's still making all that arcade money in Japan/Korea.

Release the full Tekken 7 with the story mode whenever they're ready for the casuals to buy. Just don't deny the world the game on a platform they can't play.

So you're saying appeal to the hardcore crowd first and then later on appeal to the casuals?

cordy

Banned
How is that ANY different than what the current model is now?

Man...you're essentially saying they need to appeal to the hardcore FGC and leave casuals out in the dust until they can try to reel them in back in again with an added Story Mode...you know what that sounds like right?

Top Bottom