• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 will be out in Japanese Arcades on Feb 18th

There have been a report that Lee won't be in Tekken 7. The same with Wang Jinrei, Bruce Irvin, Armor King etc. But let's see.

Who are these reports from? Hope they're Bogus, that would deflate most of my hype for this game. Unless they'd bring him back as a console release character or something.

Kimosabae

Banned
Mk went through dark ages where there games were either bad or too similar to previous entrees. Mk9 came out and brought back old players and brought in New players and ended up selling 4 million copies: more than any single tekken game has sold since t3.

Tekken can make a comeback, but there gonna have to innovate a lot. Drastic gameplay changes, redesigns, etc. The question is, will harada try? I know he was bit by T4, but so was ed boon with mk4 and literally every 3d mk in the ps2 era.

Not analogous at all. MK was selling, just not to people that took fighting games more seriously. The series' "Dark Ages" can only be in reference to its gameplay, that went off the rails after Ultimate. A "Back to Roots" marketing campaign was all that was needed to drum up renewed interest in MK9. Tekken hasn't gone anywhere and doesn't have that luxury.

Pachimari

Who are these reports from? Hope they're Bogus, that would deflate most of my hype for this game. Unless they'd bring him back as a console release character or something.

Someone here on GAF talked with a representative I think. Who said, Lee, the bears, Bruce, Wang and such have been taken out.

Someone here on GAF talked with a representative I think. Who said, Lee, the bears, Bruce, Wang and such have been taken out.

Kinda odd they would just tell a random person who's in or not in the game before the characters are officially released, when they haven't officially made a peep yet about the time release characters.

Perhaps I'm slightly in denial my fav character won't be in, but until there's official confirmation, I'm taking that with a big grain of salt.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Kinda odd they would just tell a random person who's in or not in the game before the characters are officially released, when they haven't officially made a peep yet about the time release characters.

Perhaps I'm slightly in denial my fav character won't be in, but until there's official confirmation, I'm taking that with a big grain of salt.

It'd be weird if Kuma wasn't in this game. There's been a Kuma in every single mainline Tekken, and he was present in Street Fighter X Tekken. He's kind of a staple. Plus he's my favorite character to play as in front of people who aren't very familiar with the series.

It was a Friend of a friend of a friend who speaks Japanese & somehow talked to an unnamed producer. Aka take it with a grain of salt. Information is most likely unreliable.

Creaking

Just watched that footage with Harada. Lucky Chloe looks like the worst of the Capos and Lili combined. Shaheen's style looks interesting though. Definitely want to give him a shot when the game hits home. And I cannot get over Kazuya's sexy coat physics. If nothing else, Tekken 7 is surely setting a new high bar for realistic clothing physics with minimal clipping. I especially love how the lighting changes as the material deforms.

Mmmm guud.

Momentary

Banned
Shaheen's animations look great. The cloth physics on the characters look top notch. The game definitely looks like a next gen title now.

Sayah

Just watched the videos now after getting home from work.
WOW!!!!!

It looks amazing. Truly the first next gen fighter showing what can be done. The lighting, the cloth animations, the textures, the details, everything seems so nicely refined. Totally has that "next-gen" feel.

LowParry

Just watched the videos now after getting home from work.
WOW!!!!!

It looks amazing. Truly the first next gen fighter showing what can be done. The lighting, the cloth animations, the textures, the details, everything seems so nicely refined. Totally has that "next-gen" feel.

And this is just a pre build of the final right? Game is really looking now. The lighting coming off of Kazuya's godfists are damn sexy.

Sayah

And this is just a pre build of the final right? Game is really looking now. The lighting coming off of Kazuya's godfists are damn sexy.

Yeah, this is still the pre-build. Harada said on twitter the game is still being updated further.

LowParry

All the more time to add stuff to the home versions.

Maybe a couple more characters unless we see later this year a Tekken 7: "insert title" update with some new characters. I'm looking at this like Tekken 6. Just give me the streams/youtube vids. And Tekken Crash is going to be ballin.

Momentary

Banned
They could literally redo the whole cast and I would still play the game. I usually end up maining newer cast members every iteration anyway. I really hope Jin doesn't show up for this iteration. I miss Namco pulling crazy stuff like they did with Kazuya not showing up for Tekken 3 because of the volcano ending being the canon ending. I hope they stick to their guns and let Jin stay on the sidelines for this iteration for it to really have some sort of impact on people so they know no one in the cast is safe. Hell, even another time skip would be welcome for me.

IKizzLE

Not analogous at all. MK was selling, just not to people that took fighting games more seriously. The series' "Dark Ages" can only be in reference to its gameplay, that went off the rails after Ultimate. A "Back to Roots" marketing campaign was all that was needed to drum up renewed interest in MK9. Tekken hasn't gone anywhere and doesn't have that luxury.

Selling? The sales of the ps2 3d MK's to MK1-3 are analogous to the sells of Tekken post 5 to T3 and T5. MK9 was their highest selling MK game...of all time...by far, from Ed Boon's mouth.

The ps2 era was the dark age in terms of gameplay, lack of innovation and sales. The studio would not have been here if they didn't rebrand to Netherealm and WB believed them.

Tekken has definitely stagnated and gone down in sales, and has been using the same gameplay template from 5, which is a decade old.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am hyping the crap out of this game (heading to Japan to play this in June) but no Lee = hype reduced with 400%

They can't fucking put a character in a game (T6) - let tons of people main the character, and then fuck the people up by removing him the next game.

I am hyping the crap out of this game (heading to Japan to play this in June) but no Lee = hype reduced with 400%

They can't fucking put a character in a game (T6) - let tons of people main the character, and then fuck the people up by removing him the next game.
Tekken 4 you mean? He's been in consecutively since 4, missing in 3.

This is bullshit, Hwoarang should wear his traditional Taekwondo outfit as default.

Also any chance of Baek being in the console versions?

How are you still pissed off at something so miniscule that's been true since Tekken 5?

It's good to see my secondary, Alisa is back. I hope she'll get some detachable limb moves. I want even more crazy. Give us a gorilla character too.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Game is looking reeaaaaal good and man Lucky Chloe looks like a blast to play. Can't wait to play this!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tekken 4 you mean? He's been in consecutively since 4, missing in 3.
Yeah, but he was changed so drastically in T6 and many people who didn't main him in the other games started maining him in T6.

Game is looking better and better. Lucky Chloe seems to have a rather fun movelist, even if it seems she borrows quite a bit from Ling. I'm just happy to have 1v1 Tekken back...2v2 was way too hectic for me to get a handle on.

Mk9 came out and brought back old players and brought in New players and ended up selling 4 million copies: more than any single tekken game has sold since t3.

Tekken series has sold 43 million copies. Let's be generous and say the PS1 games account for 20 million of that total.

So the 6 Tekken games since then would average sales of about 4 million per game. In other words, you're a liar.

How are you still pissed off at something so miniscule that's been true since Tekken 5?

It's good to see my secondary, Alisa is back. I hope she'll get some detachable limb moves. I want even more crazy. Give us a gorilla character too.

I can't answer for the person you quoted but alts, defaults, general artwork and aesthetics are certainly not miniscule to me. Tekken 2 had a tone, an aura to it that drew me in. 3 had a different vibe that also resonated. 4 on a much smaller scale and 5 sort of started out ok until it became clear that it was a sort of self aware and retreading old ground (character retcons and resets, gameplay going back to T3's standards etc) while also integrating systems that seperated itself from its own identity to being one burdened and/or beholden by the community (ugly customizations, character identities replaced by player names, needless stat tracking through multiple modes etc).

I'm sure my rants are tiresome to those who notice, but my concern trolling is simply an act of yearning for the creativity that was once there, including characters and fighting styled. Shaheen is great visually, though moves seem a bit too flashy based on gifs.

And as always, I await Yoshi's reveal. Hopefully no more back wheels.

IKizzLE

Tekken series has sold 43 million copies. Let's be generous and say the PS1 games account for 20 million of that total.

So the 6 Tekken games since then would average sales of about 4 million per game. In other words, you're a liar.

So you are calling me a liar off of numbers you just made up from the ps1 games?
Yes the series sold 43 million, which does not tell us individual game sales.
But I'll help you a little on your research, T6 lifetime sales is 3.5 million. T3 lifetime sales is 8.5 million

You can start from there.

So you are calling me a liar off of numbers you just made up from the ps1 games?
Yes the series sold 43 million, which does not tell us individual game sales.
But I'll help you a little on your research, T6 lifetime sales was 3.5 million.

You can start from there.

Harada himself said Tekken 3 has sold 8.3 million http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2014/2/18/tekken-3-sold-83-million-worldwide.html

Knowing this, it's safe assumption to say the PS1 games combined for 20 million or less. The rest is just math. I made nothing up.

T6 and TTT2 both sold less than 4 million (a lot less in TTT2's case). That means there is an outlier, probably Tekken 5, that had sales way beyond 4 million. In conclusion, you lied.

IKizzLE

Harada himself said Tekken 3 has sold 8.3 million http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2014/2/18/tekken-3-sold-83-million-worldwide.html

Knowing this, it's safe assumption to say the PS1 games combined for 20 million or less. The rest is just math. I made nothing up.

T6 and TTT2 both sold less than 4 million (a lot less in TTT2's case). That means there is an outlier, probably Tekken 5, that had sales way beyond 4 million. In conclusion, you lied.

Tekken 5 and Tekken 5 DR are two different games. TTT sold ~4 million. T4 sold 3.5 million. Tekken Revolution=???. So my initial point pretty much still stands with the currently available information.

No Lee = no buy for me :(

I'll play it at a friends, or try to buy it used. Did the same for Tekken 3, the last Lee-less game. It worked as he was brought back in 4. lol

Harada giving a walkthrough for Lucky Chloe and Shaheen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5SfQX2dzvE
Dang! T7 is a gorgeous looking game. It's great to finally see the new build in action. It'd be cool if they released some comparison shots of what they've improved since the location test.

I gotta say, Lucky Chloe's animations are quite good, but yeah, I'm not liking her as a character all that much. I think part of my dislike is because of her costume though, so maybe I'll like her more when that cat outfit is replaced with something a bit more "normal" (hope she has some good custom outfits). But man, is she really going to say the same "1, 2..." etc. voice sample every time that she goes into her dance stance? I really hope that the finished game has some varied voice samples for that move. Otherwise, that'll get seriously annoying if that stance is integral to her gameplay.

WOW at Shaheen though! He looks fantastic! His moves are so fluid, and they look like they have a ton of power behind them. That air-catch combo finisher where he slams Kazuya into the ground is awesome, and his Rage Art is probably the only one that I've seen so far that I actually like; it's just quick and brutal. Shaheen is easily my favorite of the new characters so far, no question.

Creaking

Have you seen Marduk?

And just to preempt anyone thinking certain things in here, no, I'm not talking about his skin color.

He does have a couple of moves where he slams his fists against the ground like King Kong. And he's somehow larger than the Jack robots, and nearly as big as Kuma. A full sized GRIZZLY BEAR! Gorilla or not, Marduk is one scary animal.

Doomshine

He does have a couple of moves where he slams his fists against the ground like King Kong. And he's somehow larger than the Jack robots, and nearly as big as Kuma. A full sized GRIZZLY BEAR! Gorilla or not, Marduk is one scary animal.
His wall throw is called angry ape, enough said.

Top Bottom