• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 will be out in Japanese Arcades on Feb 18th

Jin wasn't in Tekken 4's original roster either. He was time release in that game too in the arcades IIRC.

that's very very interesting, because, I dunno about you, but story-wise I feel like what we've seen so far of Tekken 7, its tone is very similar to Tekken 4's.

And if y'all remember Jin's ending in T4, and with all the talk about the canon return of Jun Kazama...

AAK

Tekken 7 is the anti-thesis of Tekken 4. Tekken 4 tried to do a lot of new things for the series and took numerous risks gameplay wise. And also, the art style of all the characters were evolved and updated.

Tekken 7 has the exact same gravity, exact same wall slump mechanics, exact same backdash cancel distances, exact same okizeme, among so many other things identical to Tekken Revolution. Tekken 7 is taking the least amount of risks in a numbered entry and has the exact same art style for all the characters except Lars and Kazuya.

Tekken 7 is the anti-thesis of Tekken 4. Tekken 4 tried to do a lot of new things for the series and took numerous risks gameplay wise. And also, the art style of all the characters were evolved and updated.

Tekken 7 has the exact same gravity, exact same wall slump mechanics, exact same backdash cancel distances, exact same okizeme, among so many other things identical to Tekken Revolution. Tekken 7 is taking the least amount of risks in a numbered entry and has the exact same art style for all the characters except Lars and Kazuya.

Yep. I wish it was more like Tekken 4 when it comes to design.

I was talking purely story wise. I can tell T7 is playing it safe and looks nothing at all like T4, except for its tone.

Which is why I'm not at all excited for T7.

I miss the days when each Tekken felt different from the last, a breath of fresh air each time.

It's like they can't (or rather don't want) to exit the T5 bubble. This stagnation is pretty disappointing stuff honestly.

Which is why I'm not at all excited for T7.

I miss the days when each Tekken felt different from the last, a breath of fresh air each time.

It's like they can't (or rather don't want) to exit the T5 bubble. This stagnation is pretty disappointing stuff honestly.

I know what you mean. I remember back when T6 was still in the arcades and I'd be reading youtube comments saying things like "this is just tekken 5.5" and now I'm seeing the same thing with T7, if not more.

AAK

Even though it sucked I forgave Namco for Tekken 6's lack of art evolution because they had an EXCEPTIONALLY good customization system that (almost) compensated for the disappointing and homogeneous art. But at this point, 10 years is way too long. Enough is enough.

Also, the customs shown for Tekken 7 so far are pretty bad (TTT2 tier) and still no where near the quality of Tekken 6's.

I was talking purely story wise. I can tell T7 is playing it safe and looks nothing at all like T4, except for its tone.

Yeah.. there's nothing like T4's Story to me with characters like Lucky Chloe being a central advertised character whose only purpose is to troll you out.

Yeah.. there's nothing like T4's Story to me with characters like Lucky Chloe being a central advertised character whose only purpose is to troll you out.

forget lucky chloe. that story trailer with kazume and kazuya and heihachi was giving me that eery dark vibe that T4 had. it even included some cgi footage from it along from some of the other cgi intros.

Also I get why all of you guys hate lucky Chloe, but she's hardly a "central advertised character". She may be a new character with the most promotion from T7 since she had her own trailer but it's not the worst thing to have her in the game. I didn't care when she was revealed. What matters to me the most is the Mishima/Kazama saga.

AAK

If Lucky Chloe was just some joke character that was just a bunch of pallatte swaps of other characters (like how Roger/Alex used to just be King & Bears were just Jacks with some Mishima moves) or something that's not even on the character select screen like Dr. B or Gon then I'd agree wtih you. This dumb character takes center stage and is now fully representative of the game. The same way Alisa is.

Tekken 6's trailers were also marketed as a fight between Mishima's... and in the end it was just basically the adventures of Lars and Alisa. I fully expect the same here.

There's suppose to be 7 guest artists, so hopefully the next batch of characters will have some redesigns.

One has been used for Lars, 4 others were used for Shaheen/Katarina/Claudio/LC. Probably one more used for Kazuya. That leaves one more. Don't expect anything.

If Lucky Chloe was just some joke character that was just a bunch of pallatte swaps of other characters (like how Roger/Alex used to just be King & Bears were just Jacks with some Mishima moves) or something that's not even on the character select screen like Dr. B or Gon then I'd agree wtih you. This dumb character takes center stage and is now fully representative of the game. The same way Alisa is.

Tekken 6's trailers were also marketed as a fight between Mishima's... and in the end it was just basically the adventures of Lars and Alisa. I fully expect the same here.

One has been used for Lars, 4 others were used for Shaheen/Katarina/Claudio/LC. Probably one more used for Kazuya. That leaves one more. Don't expect anything.
i hate alisa but i also hated the whole thing with lars. those characters were among some of the stupidest things that happened to tekken. so i guess now that you mention it, i'll have to level with you. but please.. be a little more optimistic for t7's story. i serously think the tone will be kept consistent with t4.

AAK

Any developer that puts batshit character designs like LC is screaming at you to not take the game seriously.

Your optimism will only lead to despair.

Degen

She won't look so lucky when Shaheen catches her with the Electric Saudi Arabia Fist (ESAF) (name pending)

I remember when my Tekken aesthetics rants weren't so popular. Now everyone's singing. Welcome to the club. Have Harada contact me for T8. Yes, I'm still serious about this, though I'd have to tweak some ideas after getting to know the T7 cast and story (do I have to?)

IKizzLE

Man, Lars and alisa were some the worst additions to a fighting game ever.
I mean t5 and Dr added feng wei, raven, asuka, and dragunov....cool characters that had a semblance of an actual fighting style.

Shredderi

It is really disappointing how iterative this entry seems. It almost feels like spinoff entry instead of a numbered one. I would have liked new designs for the characters that aren't just alts either. I want to get excited for a brand new, next-gen Tekken I really do but so far nothing they've shown so far has piqued my interest. Not even the visuals impress. Hopefully the final home console version will look a lot more impressive.

Any developer that puts batshit character designs like LC is screaming at you to not take the game seriously.

Your optimism will only lead to despair.

I'm being optimistic only about the story. They said it is going to be the conclusion of the Mishima clan curse/saga, and unless they leave us with a "to be continued..." with that, I'm sure hoping the game won't disappoint.

RM8

I understand customization fixes this problem, but man, the official costumes are so, so stale.

Endo Punk

Watching the MKX content video its refreshing to hear ed boon say he wouldn't bother making MK without taking risks. I gotta say It's a wonder how Harada manages to motivate himself. Tekken was trend setting and evolving with every entry and as far as Im concerned it hasn't been doing so, and I'll go as far to say it has been regressing since Tekken 5. No surprise the franchise is nowhere near as popular as it was a decade ago.

AAK

I dunno if it's Harada's fault or something else. It could be that because TTT2 sold like crap Namco is cutting the funds from Tekken exponentially and because of this, this might be all they can do with the budget provided.

Also, Harada is more involved with Pokken than Tekken 7.

I dunno if it's Harada's fault or something else. It could be that because TTT2 sold like crap Namco is cutting the funds from Tekken exponentially and because of this, this might be all they can do with the budget provided.

really???????

I definitely hope Namco are not putting Tekken 7 on the backburner for Pokken. We could be in trouble.

what the fuck
First on the list is Tekken 7, the latest in the series that made him famous. He says he's been spending "less and less" time on Tekken recently, because the team working on the series has enough experience to handle it on its own. But he says the team is aiming to make the game more accessible to newcomers compared to previous Tekken titles, and they are tying up a lot of character story threads to bring some closure for the series' 20th anniversary.

Source

Harada,

ca5295e4a82944dbc4565325c0de63f4.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Why do people think Harada is the one who gets to decide who focuses on projects? He's the director, but he also answers to others who have decided Tekken is a money losing venture. We can just see that the production value from TTT2 is immediately not there in T7 by the fact that they had to license a third party engine to save costs instead of using inhouse funds like usual. They have no faith in Tekken now.

That's it essentially. They are not not for taking risks, for fear of upsetting anyone in the community that Namco Bandai has decreed shrinking. Going from multiple million sales to barely over a million is a very scary prospect for them. I'm actually glad they are giving Tekken 7 another shot even though its not in the form i would like. Hence i will support it to hopefully get back to more risk taking territory.

ZeroX03

Banned
Harada hasn't directed a Tekken since 5. He's been less involved and producing other games for years now, this is nothing new. Of course he's going to oversee the new, risk endeavor.

alstein

Tekken isn't money-losing. It makes its money in the arcade and not on console.

That said, Tekken has grown very stale, and if T7 lacks innovation, it's not going to do as well as T2 in arcades, and will bomb on console.

With VF most likely dead, SC possibly dead, I'm worried for the future of 3d fighters.

Javin98

Banned

That said, Tekken has grown very stale, and if T7 lacks innovation, it's not going to do as well as T2 in arcades, and will bomb on console.

With VF most likely dead, SC possibly dead, I'm worried for the future of 3d fighters.
I think we should be worried for the whole fighting game genre in general. Fighters are not as popular as they used to be, especially during the PS1 days

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

With Namco's recent love of Steam, I'm hoping Tekken 7 eventually makes it over. While it won't make or break the game's success, there's definitely an audience hungry for 3D fighters on PC.

Inuhanyou

Tekken isn't money-losing. It makes a not insignificant portion its money in the arcade and not on console.

Fixed. If they didn't make a tons of money on console as well, they would not release on console. Fact is the sales of the console releases is what Harada used to trumpet, not how many Arcade cabinets they sold, or yen people put in the machines

I think we should be worried for the whole fighting game genre in general. Fighters are not as popular as they used to be, especially during the PS1 days

This is true. Tekken 3 was like the 3rd best selling Ps1 game, second best selling fighting game of all time and best selling fighting game ever if we're talking pure fighting games, and this was 3 gens ago.

It's hard for me to pinpoint why - other than the fact that the average video gaming consumer is more concerned about shooters and what not, the significant drop in fighting game popularity makes me ponder.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I blame online play for killing fighters. No one wants to get their butt handed to them by a faceless stranger. At least the AI can be accused of cheating.

I blame online play for killing fighters. No one wants to get their butts handed to them by a faceless stranger. At least the AI can be accused of cheating.

Also any slight lag literally completely kills it for me. You can't "get used to it" when it's a constantly varying amount of delay. It completely ruins the game. Cutting single player content for a focus on online (especially with online play being locked behind a paywall for consoles) ruined. Look at how much more robust and feature-filled SCII is compared to SC V, for example.

danmaku

This is true. Tekken 3 was like the 3rd best selling Ps1 game, second best selling fighting game of all time and best selling fighting game ever if we're talking pure fighting games, and this was 3 gens ago.

It's hard for me to pinpoint why - other than the fact that the average video gaming consumer is more concerned about shooters and what not, the significant drop in fighting game popularity makes me ponder.

Didn't SF4 resurrect the genre? /s

There are many reasons:

- FG are not graphic monsters anymore. The need to keep a steady 60fps and the death of arcades (leading to cheap low end hardware for cabinets) forced fighters to become light on graphics.

- FPS were new for console gamers in the past gen. Halo came first, but it was an Xbox exclusive when everyone had a PS2. FG are "been there, done that".

- FPS multiplayer is (generally) chaotic, so even if you suck you are probably going to get some kills, and the deluge of XP points and bar filling makes you feel like you accomplished something no matter what you do. FG are a 1v1 affair, you either win or lose and online you're going to get destroyed many times before you learn to do something.

- FPS also have meaty single player modes. FG have crappy single player content, except for Mortal Kombat.

However, FG are also getting some more attention thanks to tournament streaming and pro players, and I think they should bank heavily on that. They are great for spectators, have a ton of depth and can last for a long time. Too bad the console environment isn't that great for competitive games.

alstein

Also any slight lag literally completely kills it for me. You can't "get used to it" when it's a constantly varying amount of delay. It completely ruins the game. Cutting single player content for a focus on online (especially with online play being locked behind a paywall for consoles) ruined. Look at how much more robust and feature-filled SCII is compared to SC V, for example.

You need to appeal to both crowds.

Good balance and gameplay, Good online, good button config, easy unlock roster for competitive crowd

Lots of single-player fluff for the casual crowd so they don't have to actually play the game.

I blame online play for killing fighters. No one wants to get their butt handed to them by a faceless stranger. At least the AI can be accused of cheating.

That's probably part of it, but I mostly blame it on the unfortunate shift with the industry's infatuation with shooters and "mainstream" games. Even if Tekken 7 was the best installment of the franchise, I doubt it can repeat the success of Tekken 3 or could even surpass TTT2, especially on a much smaller userbase. It's not just Tekken though, it seems like most fighters in general are becoming more and more niche. Most of the people I know young and older did not or do not play fighters anymore because it seems like they do not appeal to them anymore. Also, it seems like the steep learning curve and commitment in most of them immediately turns them off. That's why Tekken is trying to become more user-friendly. I was talking to a friend about Guilty Gear and he says, it looks cool and all, but it seems too technical for him and he struggles enough with BlazBlue. Most of them prefer games like Madden, NBA2K, COD and Destiny. Quite sad really. I am really worried about the future of fighting games, even the 2D ones. I do not want a future still dominated by generic weekly shooters and FPS's even though I do enjoy some of them.

Inuhanyou

I...see...so they are reusing old stages...in a medley game that's celebrating everything about Tekken(like TTT) it fits...but...i dunno, i'm kind of used to new stages atleast in every numbered game.

Biker19

Banned
I wouldn't count on most characters from Tekken 6/Tekken Tag Tournament 2 returning for this one; Namco seems to be serious this time around & are going back to the days of Tekken 1-5.

We'll be lucky if some of them are time released from this point on.

More like shooters (especially FPS) that are to blame.

Top Bottom