• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 will be out in Japanese Arcades on Feb 18th

AAK

She was garbage in 4. They took out half her good moves that were in 3, and Tag. Luckily they reinstated them with more in 5. Her designs were nice though.

I'm comparing T7 Xiao to T6 Xiao though...her hair is slightly different, longer and more stylized on the ponytails, and she looks a bit older. I like that, and hopefully they give her a bigger role in this game since this one is about the story

T6:

Now:

tumblr_nit2j6WRQR1re9fe1o1_500.jpg

Are you seriously calling this a redesign? If she is indeed older (which I can't see) then her character design should reflect it. Just like how in Tekken 4 she got a completely new wardrobe to reflect the progression of the character.

Fraeon

The more I see Tekken 7, the more disappointed I get.

And it's not really about the graphical fidelity either. That stuff is perfectly adequate for me. I just realized (based on what I saw of the Tekken Crash just moments ago) that if I picked my main (Lili), I'd be playing her the exact same that I did in Tekken 6 and Tag 2.

Seriously, the main difference she gets is that her bound move is now bt2 (or d223 instead of f1+2) instead of bt1+2 but otherwise her combos are the exact same, and outside of the bound even her wall ender is the same. The biggest change she got was a new jaguar step type move that has a move that looks something like her old f+2 from DR but it looked way slow and only for gimmicks.

I mean, I might end up maining Katarina or Chloe instead.

Still gonna at least give it a shot but I've actually considered dropping Tekken.

Totally agree that they should have given all characters new default costumes. Keeps things fresh and interesting.

You can customize the characters so it would be possible to go back to the old style if you wanted to.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
T6:

Now:

Are you seriously calling this a redesign? If she is indeed older (which I can't see) then her character design should reflect it. Just like how in Tekken 4 she got a completely new wardrobe to reflect the progression of the character.

It's hard to tell from the small render, but it looks as though Xiaoyu regressed into a 13 year old. Like somehow she started getting a bunch of baby fat back. And her hair looks more suited to a younger girl. It looks like Xiaoyu's long lost little sister dressing up like Xiaoyu.

Slightly larger render for better comparison:

__20.jpg

AAK

The more I see Tekken 7, the more disappointed I get.

And it's not really about the graphical fidelity either. That stuff is perfectly adequate for me. I just realized (based on what I saw of the Tekken Crash just moments ago) that if I picked my main (Lili), I'd be playing her the exact same that I did in Tekken 6 and Tag 2.

Seriously, the main difference she gets is that her bound move is now bt2 (or d223 instead of f1+2) instead of bt1+2 but otherwise her combos are the exact same, and outside of the bound even her wall ender is the same. The biggest change she got was a new jaguar step type move that has a move that looks something like her old f+2 from DR but it looked way slow and only for gimmicks.

I mean, I might end up maining Katarina or Chloe instead.

Still gonna at least give it a shot but I've actually considered dropping Tekken.

I'll ignore the Chloe part... but yeah, this is the one thing that's really dragging me down. I never expected them to do close to nothing to change it up from Revolution. Exact same wall slump mechanics, exact same gravity, same movement options, same okizeme. And it's only exacerbated with all the designs and move animations being recycled as well.

The fact that it's releasing in less than a month makes me really think there's nothing they're going to add.

It's hard to tell from the small render, but it looks as though Xiaoyu regressed into a 13 year old. Like somehow she started getting a bunch of baby fat back. And her hair looks more suited to a younger girl. It looks like Xiaoyu's long lost little sister dressing up like Xiaoyu.

Yeah, I see what you mean:

From

tekken-6-ling-xiaoyu-screenshot-big.jpg

To

It's also precisely one of the reasons why Jun Kazama entered the tournament to completely free Kazuya from Devil.
Yes, and that was also Xiaoyu's reason for entering the 6th tournament.
Haha, I wouldn't have thought to describe Lars' costume like that, but yeah, that works; It's just not a good costume at all. Maybe it'll look better during actual gameplay though.

And if Claudio's got something to do with the Devil Gene, then I guess anything's possible for him. That certainly would explain his seemingly "magic" powers.
He's got a tattoo on his face, which could be some devil gene experimentation - it could be that he does not have it naturally like Kazuya, and it would also explain his light arrows, yes.
I'm so tired of Ling being a teenager forever in this series.
Then say you're tired of the Tekken installments not having any gaps of time in between each other. Tekken 3 and 4 had 2 years in between them, 4 and 5 had a month in between, and 5 and 6 was likely also just another month.

Manbig

He's got a tattoo on his face, which could be some devil gene experimentation - it could be that he does not have it naturally like Kazuya, and it would also explain his light arrows, yes.

Then say you're tired of the Tekken installments not having any gaps of time in between each other. Tekken 3 and 4 had 2 years in between them, 4 and 5 had a month in between, and 5 and 6 was likely also just another month.

So Jin only took 1 month to basically start a world war? Man... Tekken lore is stupider than I thought. Glad I stopped paying attention to that trash.

Cat

T5 and T6 was probably at least six months. I hated Scenario Campaign, but I paid attention to any scenes with Jin in them. There's one with him and Zafina where she says that's how much time passed since the magic binding the ruins appeared. He says he started his investigation as soon as that happened.

So Jin only took 1 month to basically start a world war? Man... Tekken lore is stupider than I thought. Glad I stopped paying attention to that trash.
less than a year. that's for sure.
T5 and T6 was probably at least six months. I hated Scenario Campaign, but I paid attention to any scenes with Jin in them. There's one with him and Zafina where she says that's how much time passed since the magic binding the ruins appeared. He says he started his investigation as soon as that happened.

perhaps she's referring to a time way before T6?

Cat

less than a year. that's for sure.

perhaps she's referring to a time way before T6?

I don't think so since he didn't really have a whole lot of resources to investigate with at the time. He was mainly in Yakushima having nightmares or off in Devil Within trying to find out if Jun was alive and fighting another Ogre instead.

But if by any chance Zafina is referring to an earlier time, then that'd probably be from when Jin and Kazuya fought in Honmaru at the end of T4 since Jin attributes their fight to when Azazel started awaken. He himself was awakened by an unknown voice after destroying a forest and relays that he eventually realized the voice was Azazel telling him to fill the world with negative energy so that Azazel could reach physical form.

With two months between T4 and T5, that'd leave four months between T5 and T6.

I don't think so since he didn't really have a whole lot of resources to investigate with at the time. He was mainly in Yakushima having nightmares or off in Devil Within trying to find out if Jun was alive and fighting another Ogre instead.

But if by any chance Zafina is referring to an earlier time, then that'd probably be from when Jin and Kazuya fought in Honmaru at the end of T4 since Jin attributes their fight to when Azazel started awaken. He himself was awakened by an unknown voice after destroying a forest and relays that he eventually realized the voice was Azazel telling him to fill the world with negative energy so that Azazel could reach physical form.

With two months between T4 and T5, that'd leave four months between T5 and T6.
I think the concept of Azazel was bringing even more retcon to the story. It all began with Kazuya on the brink of death, essentially making a deal with the Devil, but it was possible because he had the Devil gene in his blood. Bringing Jinpachi back was somewhat confirmation of that but honestly when they brought him back for T5 it seemed to me like they were running out of ideas.

Also on a side note, even though BV was not canon, did it seem to you like Devil Jin seemed kinda like an angel? Just a dark angel, or a good devil, as weird as that may sound.
devil_jin_true_form_original_cg_art_bv_by_blood_huntress-d4lu8yu.png

and devil kazuya looks like the actual, evil, sinister devil you'd expect.
2964905-devil_kazuya__true_form__beta_extraction_by_jin_05-d5hamk4.png

IKizzLE

Ok, I watched a little bit of tekken crash last night and remember harada saying that the overall graphical fidelity is at 50% in the games initial showing. Was last night still at 50%? If so, doesn't the game release next month? And don't the arcade versions always end up looking better than the console releases?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Ok, I watched a little bit of tekken crash last night and remember harada saying that the overall graphical fidelity is at 50% in the games initial showing. Was last night still at 50%? If so, doesn't the game release next month? And don't the arcade versions always end up looking better than the console releases?

Tekken Crash had a pretty old build. That said, I wouldn't buy too much into the 50% thing.

Cat

Also on a side note, even though BV was not canon, did it seem to you like Devil Jin seemed kinda like an angel? Just a dark angel, or a good devil, as weird as that may sound.

Yeah, I suppose so. He had two forms in that movie. The first one had a tail and was bigger and completely out of control.

My favorite Devil Jin is in Tekken 5 in his story mode when he talks to Jinpachi and Asuka. He's evil but coherent. I like the good devil in TKBV too though. I guess I like a coherent Devil Jin regardless.

~~~

A bit more on-topic to Tekken 7:
I'm holding off on videos for now, but my general experience in seeing a games progress into development is to not expect a high graphical improvement between an old build and a later one. If anything, sometimes it degrades though I wouldn't expect that for this particular game.

I love these designs.

Yeah, I suppose so. He had two forms in that movie. The first one had a tail and was bigger and completely out of control.

My favorite Devil Jin is in Tekken 5 in his story mode when he talks to Jinpachi and Asuka. He's evil but coherent. I like the good devil in TKBV too though. I guess I like a coherent Devil Jin regardless.
The first form was an animal. There was nothing in control of the beast at all. No devil, no jin

~~~
A bit more on-topic to Tekken 7:
I'm holding off on videos for now, but my general experience in seeing a games progress into development is to not expect a high graphical improvement between an old build and a later one. If anything, sometimes it degrades though I wouldn't expect that for this particular game.
Tekken games, used to be bear benchmark graphics. For Tekken 3 and 5, those games definitely looked like were pushing the Ps1 and 2 to their limits, respectively. It's a shame Tekken on Ps3 wasn't able to show that.
I love these designs.
I love em too. I also love how the movie ended with Jin saying he hopes Xiaoyu will come to defeat him in T6.

It's why they aren't pushing the consoles to their limits.

Considering what TTT2 did on PS3 was pretty impressive, honestly. Having 4 good looking character models on screen with all of the background elements and a stable 60 fps is more than just about any other fighting game on that console generation.

People gave Tag 2 a lot of trouble for its graphics, but it was still great.

On T7, I'm not expecting there to be many waves until the secret characters start releasing. Trying to piece together the (bad) story without the full roster is going to be next to impossible and enjoying the game without my girl Nina is also going to be tough.

IKizzLE

Im sure consoles that have 10x as many TFLOPS as previous consoles can make T7 look like more than just T6 with a vaseline filter.

Honestly, out of all of the current gen fighters announced, T7 looks the worst artistically and detail wise. I'm not saying they should be pushing consoles to their limits so early on, but it seems like Harada isn't even trying.

IvorB

I'll ignore the Chloe part... but yeah, this is the one thing that's really dragging me down. I never expected them to do close to nothing to change it up from Revolution. Exact same wall slump mechanics, exact same gravity, same movement options, same okizeme. And it's only exacerbated with all the designs and move animations being recycled as well.

The fact that it's releasing in less than a month makes me really think there's nothing they're going to add.

That sucks. I remember for Tekken 5 they totally revamped the physics and animations. It was amazing.

What happened with Japan and fighting games? They used to have it on lock.

IvorB

On T7, I'm not expecting there to be many waves until the secret characters start releasing. Trying to piece together the (bad) story without the full roster is going to be next to impossible and enjoying the game without my girl Nina is also going to be tough.

They can't leave Nina out. That's unthinkable.

IKizzLE

That sucks. I remember for Tekken 5 they totally revamped the physics and animations. It was amazing.

Tekken 5 DR was so so good. Like I think Harada set a great foundation with DR and just kind of redid it three more times since then. I hope after T7, he goes back to the drawing board.

IvorB

Tekken 5 DR was so so good. Like I think Harada set a great foundation with DR and just kind of redid it three more times since then. I hope after T7, he goes back to the drawing board.

It was. That's how I want to remember Tekken. It was such hot sh*t. I mean a game would have to be pretty good to top Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 and it did. They did so many things right. New characters were amazing, they brought back all the Tekken 2 sub bosses and totally revamped them to make them awesome. It's crazy to think that Wang and Anna were virtually just palette swaps at one point. Gamplay was super tight and balanced. That's where I jumped off the Tekken train. It seems to me like Harada has lost it, man. He should let it go.

I don't see how that's a reason it couldn't be pushed further.
Considering what TTT2 did on PS3 was pretty impressive, honestly. Having 4 good looking character models on screen with all of the background elements and a stable 60 fps is more than just about any other fighting game on that console generation.

People gave Tag 2 a lot of trouble for its graphics, but it was still great.

The graphics for Tag 2 didn't seem substantially better than 6.

MK9 looked visually better IMO. Was it not 60fps?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
One thing I'm hoping for is that they make Paul relevant again. The whole goofy get rich quick schemes and 'strongest in the universe' nonsense killed his character, one that used to be respected as one of the few fighters to ever draw against Kazuya. Since this installment is supposed to wrap up the Mishima storyline I hope they do a call back to the good old days and have Paul's story focused on Kazuya for a rematch one last time.

Manbig

MK games also animate like dog shit though.

The thing to note about what Tag 2 did is that it had a variable resolution that would lower it on the fly when more than 2 characters were on screen at the same time which kept the framerate smooth. It was really quite genius.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Dynamic res isn't new.

T6:

Now:

Calm down. I just said i liked how they made her look to T6. Yeah i would have like a redesign, but i'd like a lot of things, that doesnt mean they are realistic.

They have to maintain solid 60 FPS above all else is why.

That's on the assumption they are even using the consoles as a base. I get the feeling they are running on hardware much weaker...unlike last gen where they had to downgrade the res to 1000x500 something to get T6 running, i fully expect PS4 to run this game native 1080p 60...its obvious they arent blowing their budget on visuals or higher level technologies.

Im sure consoles that have 10x as many TFLOPS as previous consoles can make T7 look like more than just T6 with a vaseline filter.

Honestly, out of all of the current gen fighters announced, T7 looks the worst artistically and detail wise. I'm not saying they should be pushing consoles to their limits so early on, but it seems like Harada isn't even trying.

Budgets happened, and financial realities of a shrinking genre set in. After TTT2 only sold a million, i heard Harada had to take back everything he said before hand about what he could get away with in the company. They are absolutely on a much much tighter budget than T6 or TTT2 for this game.

Budgets happened, and financial realities of a shrinking genre set in. After TTT2 only sold a million, i heard Harada had to take back everything he said before hand about what he could get away with in the company. They are absolutely on a much much tighter budget than T6 or TTT2 for this game.

And not evolving the aesthetics isn't going to attract newcomers and boost sales, unfortunately.

Inuhanyou

And not evolving the aesthetics isn't going to attract newcomers and boost sales, unfortunately.

Its a circle. They are risk adverse, and penny pinching at the same time, a recipe for disaster.

I mean, i'm still going to buy it cause i love Tekken, and i want to play a next gen tekken(i even bought the limited edition of Tekken Hybrid!), but its a shame.

Pachimari

I don't think the budget is an issue for them. After all they have five times the budget of Tekken 5 and that game were great.

Inuhanyou

I don't think the budget is an issue for them. After all they have five times the budget of Tekken 5 and that game were great.

Where was that ever said?

But even before your words are verified, it takes tons more money and effort to make a to standard console game today than PS2 era. Hence all devs dying off

Niitris

Its a circle. They are risk adverse, and penny pinching at the same time, a recipe for disaster.

Sounds more like the former if you ask me. Then again, risks aren't exactly a common occurrence in today's industry.

Will still buy and play it provided Bamco doesn't pull any Zestiria level bullshit, but don't expect to have fun very long. Gameplay doesn't look interestingly different enough and the dated visual style isn't helping any.

Pachimari

Where was that ever said?

But even before your words are verified, it takes tons more money and effort to make a to standard console game today than PS2 era. Hence all devs dying off

I think it was Harada on Twitter. We talked about it in one of the earlier Tekken threads.

Are Japanese arcades very profitable? I find it very weird that a high profile game like this gets an arcade release first.

Yeah, japan, korea and china all play Tekken in the arcades like crazy. They have that social culture still alive where people gather around to the arcades to play against each other and train.

Not to mention Namco selling those dedicated Tekken cabinets and Replay machines and the whole thing. Costs like 20 000$ per machine.

danmaku

There was a thread yesterday asking the same exact question about MK10. It seems that to me people have unreasonable expectations for fighting games That said, T7 still has way too much recycled content. Even something simple as making new outfits for every character would do wonders for the casual audience, but Namco doesn't seem to care. Maybe there's a discrepancy between what their Asian arcade audience wants and what their western console audience wants.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I've been playing Tekken since the first one.

Unti lI saw this thread I literally had no idea people cared about its awful story.

Top Bottom