• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 will be out in Japanese Arcades on Feb 18th

I'm impressed by this initial roster.

No Yoshimitsu, no Nina, no Anna and no Jin.

Jin makes sense based on the end of Tekken 6, but particularly not seeing Yoshimitsu astounds me. The first Tekken game where he isn't part of the initial cast. Guess his new look in Tekken 7 will be CRAZY.

This really takes me back to the days of Tekken 4 and 5 in the arcades with the time release rosters. Back when my local Namco Cyberstation was still open and I'd get in my weekly Tekken.

Well. Marduk and Anna, I'll be waiting.

HeelPower

No massive timeskip, hardly any new costumes, reused intro animations, reused voice assets, it's almost as if the game is trying to be uninteresting as possible.

Maybe they have budget constraints.

Can't blame 'em tbh..Fighting games don't really sell that much.

I think it looks ok so far.Maaaybe it'll improve by the time it hits console.

Pachimari

There's no doubt that the originals will be there. All of Nina, Yoshimitsu, Lei, Kuma, Julia, Jim and either Eddy or Christie.

And I don't think they have a budget constraint.

MK games also animate like dog shit though.

The thing to note about what Tag 2 did is that it had a variable resolution that would lower it on the fly when more than 2 characters were on screen at the same time which kept the framerate smooth. It was really quite genius.
That's true MK's animations can get kinda static.But Tekken's got a lot of clipping so there's that.

And what do you mean, in the instances where there's 3+ characters on the screen from combos/tagging the resolution would go from 1080 to 720?
There was a thread yesterday asking the same exact question about MK10. It seems that to me people have unreasonable expectations for fighting games That said, T7 still has way too much recycled content. Even something simple as making new outfits for every character would do wonders for the casual audience, but Namco doesn't seem to care. Maybe there's a discrepancy between what their Asian arcade audience wants and what their western console audience wants.
As was said in this thread already, Tekken used to push the boundaries of its console so that is where the high expectations come from. They've stepped down their game but it doesn't matter that much for me coz I'm still getting Tekken 7.

Tekken 4 had a lot of good new costumes. Aside from Heihachi's fucking diaper.
I've been playing Tekken since the first one.

Unti lI saw this thread I literally had no idea people cared about its awful story.
It didn't get sorta bad till 4, and it didn't get awful till 5.
I'm impressed by this initial roster.

No Yoshimitsu, no Nina, no Anna and no Jin.

Jin makes sense based on the end of Tekken 6, but particularly not seeing Yoshimitsu astounds me. The first Tekken game where he isn't part of the initial cast. Guess his new look in Tekken 7 will be CRAZY.

This really takes me back to the days of Tekken 4 and 5 in the arcades with the time release rosters. Back when my local Namco Cyberstation was still open and I'd get in my weekly Tekken.

Well. Marduk and Anna, I'll be waiting.
Yoshimitsu wasn't in revolution either

hm. I wonder if they'll keep Jin out of the arcade version and feature him in the Ps4 version to really shock us.
More like, she doesn't age

No massive timeskip, hardly any new costumes, reused intro animations, reused voice assets, it's almost as if the game is trying to be uninteresting as possible.
more like, not much time passes between Tekkens.
I thought that was the #1 reason

Why would that be?

I'm still at a loss as to why the cast isn't getting new outfits.

Maybe this time around they're going to improve the character customization. TTT2's was kinda lazy.

Eh...better not hold my breath. If anything Namco/Bandai will start charging for costumes when the home port finally rolls around.

Manbig

That's true MK's animations can get kinda static.But Tekken's got a lot of clipping so there's that.

And what do you mean, in the instances where there's 3+ characters on the screen from combos/tagging the resolution would go from 1080 to 720?

Tag 2 isn't ever really 720p. It can't be. Because, as I stated earlier, they have to lock it at 60 FPS.

Kimosabae

Banned
Because Harada wants them to be iconic.

And yet the MK developers of all people, can manage to change their character's outfits game to game and no one has any problem recognizing Lui Kang or Subzero.

To be honest, though, I can understand Harada's position, because I don't think Tekken characters have much "character" at all. Sorry if that upsets someone.

And yet the MK developers of all people, can manage to change their character's outfits game to game and no one has any problem recognizing Lui Kang or Subzero.

To be honest, though, I can understand Harada's position, because I don't think Tekken characters have much "character" at all. Sorry if that upsets someone.

you do make a valid point man. While I love Tekken the game I grew up with, Jin the protagonist is one one-dimensional mothafucker. That's why I'm hyped to see him and Xiaoyu
or Asuka, again remember her T5 ending how her touch undoes the Devil gene and the incest stuff. I guess Japanese people just accept cousins. Xiaoyu was also able to undo the devil gene in a comic
finally hook up, to build some level of character.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder if their inexperience with Unreal Engine 4 is hindering the visuals?

If they wanted or were able to make the game to those standards they would do so. UE3 games as we know look amazing even from devs who have never touched it(Arc System Works).

Niitris

Because Harada wants them to be iconic.

I don't understand that mindstate; besides how much I detest how loosely that word is used, you can't force something to be 'iconic.' And even if you could, it gets pretty damn stale repeatedly seeing the same outfits.

Seems someone became too gun-shy to take chances. I mean, he's far from the only dev that's guilty of being risk adverse but it's rather saddening to see.

no, lower than 720p

I see. You know, T6 was either 720 or a lower resolution too. And while T5 on Ps3 was just an upscaled, upgraded Ps2 game, it was 1080p/60fps on Ps3, and some have argued that it looked better than T6 at times for that reason.

That was cool and then in the past, Tekken has pushed its respective PlayStation to its limits. Like what those latter 1st party Ps3 games were demonstrated what the cell was capable of.

I see. You know, T6 was either 720 or a lower resolution too. And while T5 on Ps3 was just an upscaled, upgraded Ps2 game, it was 1080p/60fps on Ps3, and some have argued that it looked better than T6 at times for that reason.

That was cool and then in the past, Tekken has pushed its respective PlayStation to its limits. Like what those latter 1st party Ps3 games were demonstrated what the cell was capable of.

To my knowledge Tekken 6 resolution was 575p on the PS3 at least. I think the 720p resolution made TTT2 look noticeably crisper and better in most cases. Strangely enough, I think some stages in Tekken 6 looked considerably better than others with some of them looking like they were running above 575p.

DrDogg

She was garbage in 4. They took out half her good moves that were in 3, and Tag. Luckily they reinstated them with more in 5. Her designs were nice though.

I'm comparing T7 Xiao to T6 Xiao though...her hair is slightly different, longer and more stylized on the ponytails, and she looks a bit older. I like that, and hopefully they give her a bigger role in this game since this one is about the story

A little late to the party, but as a Ling main in Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 (she was my secondary in T6 and beyond), I have to disagree. While she wasn't Jin/Nina/Steve tier, she was right under them for sure and one of the few characters who could actually deal with Jin's JFLS shenanigans.

The lack of KBD in T4 also meant she could pressure way better than most other games, and her 4~3 was the best it's ever been, leaving her at +2 on block. Her spin away was also really good due to the nerfed movement in that game. She could really dominate and there were plenty of solid Ling players that showed how good she was.

She wasn't super flashy like she has been in every other game, but she was very, very solid with her more grounded play style.

Sayah

Harada is labeling the Feb. 18 release "limited version." I guess we shouldn't be expecting too much. But at least we get to see Shaheen.

Numb

Official website for the game is up:

http://www.tekken-official.jp/tk7ac/

88 Arcade Cabs in Japan and Lucky Chloe's (Freestyle Dance) and Shaheen fighting style (Military Fighting Style) on it

Soon we might see some Shaheen gameplay.

excellent.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
A little late to the party, but as a Ling main in Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 (she was my secondary in T6 and beyond), I have to disagree. While she wasn't Jin/Nina/Steve tier, she was right under them for sure and one of the few characters who could actually deal with Jin's JFLS shenanigans.

The lack of KBD in T4 also meant she could pressure way better than most other games, and her 4~3 was the best it's ever been, leaving her at +2 on block. Her spin away was also really good due to the nerfed movement in that game. She could really dominate and there were plenty of solid Ling players that showed how good she was.

She wasn't super flashy like she has been in every other game, but she was very, very solid with her more grounded play style.

I'm sorry, i don't know what a lot of that means cause although i play them a lot, i'm not a 'professional' fighting gamer, and i don't know any of the fighting game terms your using there.

All i know is that i can't do my usual style with her in 4 cause they took out quite a few moves i used with her in 3. I can go from 3 to Tag and Tag to 5 and recent Tekkens fine, but 4 Xiao is annoying.

Its also annoying that they took out the second throw and just put in the "i'm going to slightly grab you and make us change positions" thing. I don't know what that's even supposed to do..

I wouldn't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Bandai Namco loves their ageless fighters.

but that's stupid.

I mean, Kazuya looks considerably older than Jin but for someone who doesn't know Tekken and sees the two character models side by side in the same game, they might not be able to tell one is a father and the other is a son.

valeo

but that's stupid.

I mean, Kazuya looks considerably older than Jin but for someone who doesn't know Tekken and sees the two character models side by side in the same game, they might not be able to tell one is a father and the other is a son.

Oh no, however will they mash buttons and fight each other now?

i'm really wondering if jin is gonna be left out of the arcade version and will be included only on the Ps4 version

Jin's not on the character roster on the website. And that could be the final roster.

AAK

Jin wasn't in Tekken 4's original roster either. He was time release in that game too in the arcades IIRC.

Top Bottom