• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 teased for TGA

Skyfox

Tekken 7 on steam deck looks fantastic.

Tekken 7 on my ps5 or series x looks like dogcrap.

This resolution blocking console generation upgrade crap is just turning console gamers into pc gamers.

Xbox and sony should make free resolution/fps patching a publishing requirement.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
This is probably just the Tekken vs Street Fighter game finally being developed.
Joking, I know, but ... I honestly wonder how that could possibly work out.

Those two series are as far apart as you can possibly be within the same genre.
Tekken with SF characters will likely piss off SF people.
And so would the other way around.

I just don't see how such a game could be developed without alienating about half of the fanbase.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Didn't see "Tekken 8" in the teaser. This is probably just the Tekken vs Street Fighter game finally being developed.

Jk

DWkpjC8.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember pulling off King’s Cradle in the arcade after practicing at home. The days when most players didn’t know how to break the throw.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Tekken 7 on steam deck looks fantastic.

Tekken 7 on my ps5 or series x looks like dogcrap.

This resolution blocking console generation upgrade crap is just turning console gamers into pc gamers.

Xbox and sony should make free resolution/fps patching a publishing requirement.

It's funny I think the Virtual Fighter/Tekken/Dead or Alive style of 3D fighter just seem to age much faster than alternatives.

Like I can imagine looking at Dragon Ball Fighterz in 2 decades and thinking it looks good, because things like Street Fighter III Alpha still looks good, you can sort of tell.

I think when you go for this semi realism rather than a stylised Fighter it just ages much quicker as more detailed models in other genres become available and you naturally compare.

Like I recently replayed Okami and thought the game looked beautiful, you don't get that with things like Tekken sadly.

Last edited:

Kadve

Well, time to find out if the Tekken "star trek curse" holds true again. Cause if, this will be another bad one.

SkylineRKR

I still play T7 on PS5, which is at least 1080p. But the complaints are legit; this game could use a resolution boost and a decrease in load times. Its still being sold, DLC still came out in like 2021.

For context Tekken 7 used U4 engine while MK11 that looks 2 generations ahead was using U3. Lets be real here, Japanese developers are lazy as fuck and yes, MK11 also ran at 60fps.

Karmic Raze

Jesus H Christ. When this was announced I thought, "...already"?

Then I checked when Tekken 7 released and it was well over 7 fucking years ago. Getting older wouldn't be so bad if I still perceived time the way I did when I was 10. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I feel your pain. At this rate I’m not going to live to see a Tekken 9.

Hoppa

Interesting!

"the gameplay is based on the 2D gameplay of Street Fighter, with projectile moves such as the Hadouken, as opposed to the Tekken series"
Yup, as expected.

"it fell short of Capcom's sales expectations."
Also kind of as expected. Less attractive than a pure SF or Tekken game.
It was actually a pretty good game, I thought Capcom did a really good job translating the Tekken characters into SF but it was destroyed by horrible microtransaction bs - like they had a gem system where you pick gems and they buff character stats and the gems were sold/preorder bonuses. Then it was discovered that the following DLC characters were already complete and on the disk but hidden behind a paywall. They really shat the bed with its release - the promo trailers leading up to its release were top tier too

DonJimbo

Please Bamco this time with a complete Roster of fighters and not the same shit with Tekken 7 to pickpocket money for DLCs and the dumb excuse of no time to include all the fighters

Valonquar

Please don't put Shaggy in Tekken. Please don't put Shaggy in Tekken.Please don't put Shaggy in Tekken.Please don't put Shaggy in Tekken.

SkylineRKR

It was actually a pretty good game, I thought Capcom did a really good job translating the Tekken characters into SF but it was destroyed by horrible microtransaction bs - like they had a gem system where you pick gems and they buff character stats and the gems were sold/preorder bonuses. Then it was discovered that the following DLC characters were already complete and on the disk but hidden behind a paywall. They really shat the bed with its release - the promo trailers leading up to its release were top tier too

The complete version released later on was better. I bought it on Vita for a few bucks and it had all extra characters, balance updates and the gem system was revised I think.

What killed this game at launch were the gems and the fact characters were locked on purpose. Matches were also kind of boring ending up in lots of time overs. The game never recovered from it but the 2013 revision was actually a fairly good game.

Shifty

Interesting!

"the gameplay is based on the 2D gameplay of Street Fighter, with projectile moves such as the Hadouken, as opposed to the Tekken series"
Yup, as expected.

"it fell short of Capcom's sales expectations."
Also kind of as expected. Less attractive than a pure SF or Tekken game.
It didn't help that SFxT standardized normal move damage across all characters save for big ones like Zangief.

Akuma's polished T7 implementation suggests Bamco would do a significantly better job of it, were they to lead on a prospective TxSF.

DZ_b_EZ

This has nothing to do with TGA. I don't know what made you think that. They're just retweeting the news.

Then Tekken 9 Heihachi returns and throws Jin into a Volcano?

Wonder if Akuma will be in 8.
I don’t think he’ll be back. Probably controversial, but I’m honestly hoping that there will be no 2D characters in Tekken 8 and yes, I like and have all the characters in the game. If they come back, hopefully they will make them full fledged 3D characters.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Can‘t believe the XB Tekken 7 still runs at 720p. Even KI got patched.
Yeah it was clearly a way of saying the user base was mostly on PlayStation, why waste money ?
Or they were lazy.

Well this time , it should be ok.
It should be at least on par with the PS5 with the series X.

yurinka

hope this isnt really far off

tekken 7 is so old at this point its ridiculous

The white line in the top of the image and the lack of the text that appeared in that video means it's only a screenshot of the video made by Geoff to act as if he knew it and to mislead making people think he'll have a Tekken related announcement on his show.

If he would have get it from Bandai Namco would be a proper and polished PR image, not a screenshot from a stream.

Geoff is only shamelessly fishing for some attention with embarassing tactics again.

hinch7

Can we all take a moment to appreciate how crazy of a leak that Nvidia Now was last year...

Looking forward to the reveal for 8.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can we all take a moment to appreciate how crazy of a leak that Nvidia Now was last year...

Looking forward to the reveal for 8.
Still waiting for..
Final Fantasy IX Remake
Mirror's Edge Remastered
Tomb Raider Anniversary
MGS2&3 Remastered

to name a few...

ClosBSAS

Joking, I know, but ... I honestly wonder how that could possibly work out.

Those two series are as far apart as you can possibly be within the same genre.
Tekken with SF characters will likely piss off SF people.
And so would the other way around.

I just don't see how such a game could be developed without alienating about half of the fanbase.
I dunno man, i started playing Tekken when Akuma showed up and boy was he fun in Tekken, much more than shitty ass sf5

For context Tekken 7 used U4 engine while MK11 that looks 2 generations ahead was using U3. Lets be real here, Japanese developers are lazy as fuck and yes, MK11 also ran at 60fps.
Absolutely no excuse for 720p Tekken 7 in XSX, but I think it’s normally more of a case of Western game developers typically getting significantly bigger budgets for game development compared to Japanese developers. I think Tekken 7 budget was relatively close to Tekken 5 or maybe it was it Tekken 6 from what I heard. Can’t remember.

Carpe Noctem

Neo Member
Honestly I'm kinda baffled at how successful Tekken 7 has been. When I played it, it was just launching people and deleting half their health bar. Yeah it's fun to land but not to play against. You just had to sit there and wait for too long when you were up in the air.

That and how much stuff there was to memorize. Doing the moves wasn't that big of a deal on most characters but man, there was way too much to watch out for. It legit felt less about who fought better and more about who memorized enough for the test.

The movement felt bad too, just like fighting on ice. It's a 3D fighter where you can move around but they made the movement crap. Just puzzling design choice.

More fighting games should follow Soulcalibur's example by being more about decision making and less about memorizing stuff. The genre really needs more stuff like that.

nkarafo

I feel like Japanese fighting games have not evolved, visually, since the PS2 days. They still look like the same CGI dolls, only at higher resolution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom