• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Director Katsuhiro Harada Is Tired Of SJWs

You would think that. But bizarrely, we have corporations who are supposed to exist for profit, who instead care more about “pr” than anything else.
That's because you have places like Kotaku going, "be a real shame if someone were to write an expose on how you treat your female employees. Real shame."

Most of the game companies are owned by some large conglomerate that doesn't really give a shit about their gaming divisions. They all have investments somewhere else and so they don't want anything interfering with their true business. Companies like Disney or Warner would rather burn down their gaming divisions than let those divisions impact their real business. And places like Ubisoft and EA are sucking at the teat of whales, trying to trick them into giving them their life savings, and don't want to do anything to potentially scare off people who might spend $10,000 on their shitty games. Nintendo is really the only company that makes games, not addictions or side shows, and their history as a family company means that they are easily swayed by the threat of portraying them negatively as well. And Sony drank the Kool-Aid big time and is living on borrowed time after pissing off basically the entire Japanese market.

Basically, actual gamers are screwed because nobody will stand up for the idea of simply making a good game for adults without the bullshit.

This is why consolidation was a mistake. The game industry was healthier when it was a bunch of smaller to mid-sized companies competing with each other rather than five or six mega corporations. And that's what is REALLY IRONIC. The fact that DIVERSITY is actually the solution to our woes, but because it isn't the diversity of genitals or skin color, nobody seems to give a shit.

angelic

Banned
SJWs are such ultra hypocrites on so many levels, who do they think they are to criticise other cultures. Why don't they go protest gay rights in Russia, or women's rights in Saudi. Oh wait that might be dangerous, they might lose a limb or end up in a mine. It's always selective outrage, safe behind their phones.

Klepek was mewling on twitter yesterday, and again today. Every single fucking day he's not happy, and hilariously, the comments were telling him he's cried wolf too many times.

HeresJohnny

Harada better be ready for the mob of pitchfork and torch wielding crazies telling him what a sexist, racist, bigoted toxic male he is. Me? I plan on buying everything he makes. Fuck those guys.

Azula

Neo Member
Some of them have done it because they think that's what the market wants and some of them have done it because their employees think like that (for example BFV).

I think many companies will come around and if not new ones will come forward and fill the void. As long as there are paying customers...

I definitely think there is plenty of cases where a corporation uses social / political marketing because they think it will yield profits, or expand their market.

So that is clearly an example of something companies have always done. But I’ve noticed in the last 5 years or so, some of this social / political stuff seems to be coming from the inside. And it seems rooted in activism, rather than marketing. And that is what I find bizarre. I just think it’s strange when a major corporation, is taking a risk at alienating their consumers, by taking a direct social / political stand, which by it’s very nature will be at odds with someone.

That said, I guess the interesting thing, is when you get a mob of angry people on social media, and a major company makes decisions to appease them. Obviously we don’t have the numbers, but surely these have to be the vocal minority? I mean that on either side of social/ political mobs. I can’t imagine most consumers feel this way.

Interesting to think about either way. I still think it’s a mistake for “genre” games like this, to make changes due to outcry. These kind of games already have an audience. They are supposed to be ridiculous and schlocky.

lock2k

Banned
It makes a difference whether a nipple is just a dent in a low poly boob or a fully modeled nipple on a highly detailed boob.

Blank+_1489c37aef17e604664564ee05c4da8e.jpg

Last edited:

JoduanER2

Jim Sterling told me there was no censorious pressure from western media. He told me these reactions were just a ploy to bilk gullible right wing gamers into importing games that would never reach the west anyway.

Are you now telling me that far left moralists, backed up by outrage mobs, actually create a climate that stifles creative expression??? Are you telling me Jim Sterling was full of shit??? It can't be!

I'm gonna need a while to process this bombshell. My world-view has been shaken to it's very core.

Hahaha jim sterling is a retard. Didnt know this.

Harada is absolutely correct. I’ve been tired of it and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Everyone pandering and catering to a small group of maniacal people who don’t play video games, yet they strangely influence so many companies into modifying their creative visions. It’s getting ridiculous and ruining creativity for video games and other forms of media and entertainment. That’s another reason I support Japanese games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I agree with him.

And I happen to be a western SJW that doesn't like censorship within gaming.

Insert confused GIF.

Olay, this is a joke post right? You can't be a special snowflake that hates everything yet is against censoring right?

Insert confused GIF.

Olay, this is a joke post right? You can't be a special snowflake that hates everything yet is against censoring right?

You could say that I'm "part SJW."

There are a lot of things I agree with that feels right (like everyone on this planet having equal rights, including LGBT's), & some things that I don't (such as censorship within games).

Last edited:
Western media ruining gaming.

Look at current model of Lara croft..its designed to cater Sjw ppl. Kassandra from AC Odyssey. Same shit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thinking back to how Tekken characters dressed, how has it been wrong? Jun Kazama, mother of Jin Kazama, wore nothing revealing. Of course there's Unknown, but if something possessed you; would it matter what you wore?
latest

Even if the cast wore bikinis, they're entitled to have a day on the beach. They're entitled to being sexy. Aka Nina, Anna, Chloe, Julia, etc. If anything, I see these characters as being strong female characters in fighting games. And even SC, Ivy is revealing in Soul Calibur, she's still a vicious fighter.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They do when I play...
:messenger_grinning_smiling:
Anna always felt like she had way more sex appeal than Nina. Anna felt like she used her looks for her mission. Nina was the serious-strong type, but she was also attractive. My point is, both women were strong and sexy. Yet the sex appeal wasn't exactly pleasing in the way we see people (SJW) react. Even if it was intential, good for them. We can have the sexy/strong type.

I can't think of a time I thought Ling Xiaoyu was sexy. For one, she's more like a younger sister to me. And two, I respect her character. I don't see why we just jump the gun. Real people dress sexy, doesn't mean we all have to think it's for us. Big deal if they are, big deal if they aren't.

Last edited:
Anna always felt like she had way more sex appeal than Nina.
She certainly did in Tekken Tag 2. Did you see that octopus outfit? It was sexy, a little bit off, and it had tentacles. It was like playing Japan itself. I felt ashamed and proud simultaneously, like I was at peace with the universe while also slapping it around. Truly an inspired costume.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
She certainly did in Tekken Tag 2. Did you see that octopus outfit? It was sexy, a little bit off, and it had tentacles. It was like playing Japan itself. I felt ashamed and proud simultaneously, like I was at peace with the universe while also slapping it around. Truly an inspired costume.

I stick to defaults or whatever the buttons can select. I think I've edited a character maybe twice? Bryan Furry to be exact. I had no idea, but honestly.. good for her. I didn't even know she had that.

Even in a modest wedding dress, she's still armed and ready to fight. Even in Tekken Tag 1 her purple outfit felt modest. Graphics point out her body's more intricate details (curves), but that's inevitable. Of course she'll train and keep her body fit.

Ariesfirebomb

Neo Member
SJWs as a whole are problem with the bullshit they complain about.

HOWEVER

You can’t really be upset about the genuine people out there getting tired of playing the same old type of characters. There is a way to be diverse in creating without following the same ol raggedy formula. Look at the MK series with Cassie, Jacqui and Kung Jin

bitbydeath

Its seem creatively bankrupt when all the come up with is even less clothing on women, even bigger boobs with even better boobs physics and ever more detailed nipples poking through the tight outfits.

If you’re not attracted to Women you could just perve on the guys you know.

Last edited:
I said this before, but the hypocrisy is what perplexes me the most. Everyone hates on sexy game characters, yet worship half naked and provocative pop stars, Instagram and Facebook models who use their bodies and sex appeal to garner attention and fans. Wow, that girl in doa is disgusting and too sexy, but that fake looking girl with the revealing booty shorts twerking on stage is my hero!!!

There are a lot of things I agree with that feels right (like everyone on this planet having equal rights, including LGBT's), & some things that I don't (such as censorship within games).

A huge part of the pejorative "SJW" is the authoritarian streak and bullying behavior. It sounds like you're just a progressive or possibly just a normal person who holds enlightenment liberal values? I think most people in America, let's say, (idk where you're from) would agree on equal rights under the law.

cireza

Game-designers and developers should just do what they want to do. If you have to care for every little thing in the world, you can't go forward with your ideas.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Glad to hear it, You're an artist make the game you want to make.

You're not dealing with logical people here most of the time I'm afraid but as I've said time and time again.
Vote with your wallets.

There is a reason games like Kingdom Come Deliverance sell well despite not having "racial diversity".
There is a reason movies like Cold Pursuit starring Liam Neeson was a surprise hit despite his "racist" interview.
People are starting to fight back against this sort of stuff.
The "outrage" culture of today have become everything they hated back in the 2000s.( Though I suspect a lot of them are kids in fairness)
Remember when we as gamers were united in the 2000s against the right-wing crackpots trying to ban GTA and such?

Now the script has flipped but the same result is happening.
They whine about a game/movie on twitter, it gains attention in the media and WOULD you look at that you've given the game/movie free publicity.
and would you believe it, it does way better than the studio expected!

angelic

Banned

Fine, but they don't want equal rights. No minority does, not even women (who arent even a minority, theyre 50% of the population and they live longer). Women already get equal pay for an equal job, the figures are only skewed because there are more men CEOs. Which is because men tend to go to further extremes like 100 hour weeks, women tend to have more sense and balance.

LGBTs already have equal rights, what they dont have is the right to enforce made up gender pronouns into law (except fucking Canada, idiots), to compete fully in sports (the partial stuff theyre doing is ridiculous, last week 2 trans men beat the fastest woman runner into 3rd place in a race, pushing the entire field down, affecting careers). They dont want equal, they want positive discrimination, ie: more rights. And SJWs just want to ruin everything for everyone, and public sympathy has about 6 months left IMO before it evaporates completely. Shame.

I can't tell if the dreamcast version didn't have the sinful tits because of technology - are you american? the country that had its news media go crazy for about a year because Janet Jackson's showed half a boob, accidentally, during the half time show of some american football game? This is probably where all this conservatism is coming from.

Not American.
And all I am arguing for is better character designs which rely less on sexualization and stereotypes.
It's valid criticism. Just as valid as if I would criticize the online infrastructure of a game or the gameplay mechanics.
If people are offended by such criticism thats their problem, not mine.
If developers don't care about my criticism thats fine, too, but I am entitled to it and they are not entitled to not being criticized for their creations. So, deal with it, it's not going to stop. Games have always been criticized, grow a pair.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
1 1.21Gigawatts I'd say the difference here is that while gamers have criticised these designs for years (a while back I posted a PC Zone review from back in the day that took the piss out of the female armour - can't remember which game off the top of my head) it has tended in the past to be critique, and a bit of piss-taking. And that's ok. Having those opinions is absolutely fine, as is expressing them, especially if you do it in a way that's engaging, that makes the point without beating people over the head with it. Hell I agree with it, that female armour is often absurd.

With that said, I also respect the right of the artist to create that, if that's what s/he wishes to create (and to be clear there are plenty of women creating that kind of art too, it's not just 'incel neckbeards'). The problem however is that now, when someone creates something that is a bit risque, the critique is not so much critique as a diatribe on how demeaning it is for women, with the review thrown to one side to make space for the social commentary. And dear god it's shouted and preached, while the Twitter mob forms and howls with indignation, demanding that these fictional women stop daring to be sexy. It's closer to the puritanism of the likes of Mary Whitehouse than any traditional left, and it baffles me. The key issue here is not so much the issues themselves, but rather the authoritarianism with which the issues are pushed. If SJWs could dial it back a bit we could have conversations, but until that day comes we're just going to be stuck in Groundhog Day.

angelic

Banned
Not American.
And all I am arguing for is better character designs which rely less on sexualization and stereotypes.
It's valid criticism. Just as valid as if I would criticize the online infrastructure of a game or the gameplay mechanics.
If developers don't care about my criticism thats fine, too, but I am entitled to it and they are not entitled to not being criticized for their creations. So, deal with it, it's not going to stop. Games have always been criticized, grow a pair.

But it's DOA, the game that's been doing this for 20 years. The votes are in and counted, it has sexualised characters of both genders. It's for the fans, and you're not a fan. Plenty of games exist for you, why do you need to spoil other people's games?

You're demonstrating the SJW mentality in action, something isn't for you, but you want it stopped anyway. And that is why you get no sympathy.

Virex

Banned
The whole industry is pandering to people who actually don't / won't buy the specific video game. These people don't actually play games, they just want control of the medium

Maguro

Where I live a lot of shit is happening right now. I live in Austria and we have a right winged government. Woman's don't get paid equally even if they work the same. People get thrown into custody only because they are a certain nationality. Mind you, my country was the reason for WW1, they supported Nazi Germany in WW2 and Hitler was born also here. The Remnants of the Nazi supporter are now on the government leading this country. I am not a SJW though, I don't care about boobs, violence etc in games. I want swastikas in Wolfenstein (they were censored in middle Europe). But I know what is wrong in real life and there lies the difference. I think most people who feel offended by stuff in games don't have real problems or haven't experienced them.

JimmyJones

Banned
Most people agree with him. It’s the vocal minority on social media that don’t. Give it another 5 years and we’ll be back to normal.

angelic

Banned
Where I live a lot of shit is happening right now. I live in Austria and we have a right winged government. Woman's don't get paid equally even if they work the same. People get thrown into custody only because they are a certain nationality. Mind you, my country was the reason for WW1, they supported Nazi Germany in WW2 and Hitler was born also here. The Remnants of the Nazi supporter are now on the government leading this country. I am not a SJW though, I don't care about boobs, violence etc in games. I want swastikas in Wolfenstein (they were censored in middle Europe). But I know what is wrong in real life and there lies the difference. I think most people who feel offended by stuff in games don't have real problems or haven't experienced them.

This is all hearsay, tales from the ass. No proof, no figures, meaningless. While you're right to want swastikas in Wolfenstein, you can't say "women get paid less here". Where are the stats? And then the stats need context, in most of the world (women-opressing societies aside), the pay stats are skewed because of the extremes of the bell curve, more CEOs).

This is why so many arguments fail, the stats arent real, and even if presented, they have context and nuance.

But it's DOA, the game that's been doing this for 20 years. The votes are in and counted, it has sexualised characters of both genders. It's for the fans, and you're not a fan. Plenty of games exist for you, why do you need to spoil other people's games?

You're demonstrating the SJW mentality in action, something isn't for you, but you want it stopped anyway. And that is why you get no sympathy.

I wasn't even talking about DOA.
But the argument that something isn't "for someone" is not exactly valid here. The criticism also goes beyond just design decisions in the games and looks at the messages sexualized designs send, holding content creators accountable. This is what triggers most content creators. Not liking their stuff is fine, but saying that their stuff has negative effects triggers defiant reactions. No one likes to hear that their content is sexist, because most people don't consider themselves sexist.
But the whiny reactions and complaints about "SJWs" are not good attempts at defending their art or justifying their decisions.
If they would try to understand what people criticize about their creations they would better be able to counter these arguments, because, obviously, not everything is valid. But they don't even try to do that, they don't even begin to think about the responsibility they have as creators of mass media.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Not American.

From what I've read, people are not bothered by your opinion. They are bothered by you calling them a pedo, insinuating people defending the designs are paedophiles or saying something is almost true and attacking it like in post #33 or #36. Post #43 is a good example of how you can post properly followed by fallacious assertions and passive aggressive prodding. I'm giving you a pass here rather than reply ban. Continue in the vein you currently are please. It's much better.

tenor.gif

angelic

Banned
I wasn't even talking about DOA.
But the argument that something isn't "for someone" is not exactly valid here. The criticism also goes beyond just design decisions in the games and looks at the messages sexualized designs send, holding content creators accountable. This is what triggers most content creators. Not liking their stuff is fine, but saying that their stuff has negative effects triggers defiant reactions. No one likes to hear that their content is sexist, because most people don't consider themselves sexist.
But the whiny reactions and complaints about "SJWs" are not good attempts at defending their art or justifying their decisions.
If they would try to understand what people criticize about their creations they would better be able to counter these arguments, because, obviously, not everything is valid. But they don't even try to do that, they don't even begin to think about the responsibility they have as creators of mass media.

I meant Tekken not DOA, just they've both been in my mind. Same applies though, Tekken is fantasy fighters in fantasy outfits. And creators dont need to think about their impact, they just need to create. The market decides if something is acceptable or not.

crowbrow

Banned
The worst thing about this shit over-the-top outrage from thin-skinned millennial crybabies is that there are actually legitimate reasons to be offended and outraged and demand social justice around the world and these people have basically make all the social justice movement a joke that no one with a brain can take seriously anymore. The worst enemies of true social justice are SJWs themselves. They should find something better to do than to bitch on the internet all day from their privileged positions where they can afford being offended at the slightest things and hysterically scream as if the world owes them anything. Dumb spoiled brats.

Sygma

Combine asian looks with western fetishization and you end up with creepily young looking character designs.
I think Japan as a whole has huge issues on that front and several other fronts and I don't think you can mark sexual fetishization down to cultural quirks.

Now their bubble is confronted with western standards and expectation and shit clashes. I get their frustration with western criticism, but I also have to say that its true and necessary.

That doesn't mean that I find these games bad as a whole or refuse to buy them. Its just one point of criticism I have, just like I have them about almost every game I play.

Yeah its the same with religion

whats your point exactly ? that people cant get along ? more news at 11

Maguro

This is all hearsay, tales from the ass. No proof, no figures, meaningless. While you're right to want swastikas in Wolfenstein, you can't say "women get paid less here". Where are the stats? And then the stats need context, in most of the world (women-opressing societies aside), the pay stats are skewed because of the extremes of the bell curve, more CEOs).

This is why so many arguments fail, the stats arent real, and even if presented, they have context and nuance.
Why wouldn't the stats be real? Austria statis If you're able to read german maybe you get something out of it. The equality income was a big topic here in the last months. Even our politicans agree they don't get equality paid. but they can't change it.

But this all has nothing to do with games. Gaming is not real life for me. To me games are fiction and art, everything "should" be allowed if the creator has a vision, as long as nobody get hurt in real life. And i'm talking about real pain (physical/psychic), not some bullshit "i feel offended" crap.

angelic

Banned
Why wouldn't the stats be real? Austria statis If you're able to read german maybe you get something out of it. The equality income was a big topic here in the last months. Even our politicans agree they don't get equality paid. but they can't change it.

But this all has nothing to do with games. Gaming is not real life for me. To me games are fiction and art, everything "should" be allowed if the creator has a vision, as long as nobody get hurt in real life. And i'm talking about real pain (physical/psychic), not some bullshit "i feel offended" crap.

Because just saying "my country does this", even then with "here are the stats, in german", doesnt make it true. Stats are based on (example) 1 million women averaging 10 per hour, 1 million men averaging 12 per hour. Where is the context? The men might be executives, the women might be secretaries. Context is everything. The only stat that matters is man and woman performing same role, what are they paid, each, and with proof.

If you're genuinely right, then ok, but I see no evidence for it whatsoever, and other countries too, the calculation method is meaningless.

I meant Tekken not DOA, just they've both been in my mind. Same applies though, Tekken is fantasy fighters in fantasy outfits. And creators dont need to think about their impact, they just need to create. The market decides if something is acceptable or not.

I also wasn't talking about Tekken. I was just talking about Soul Calibur, which is a franchise I like and have been playing for many years now. And for many years I have criticized the character designs.

Top Bottom