• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution PS3 Excusive Free To Play 6/11/13

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, for those of us that don't follow Tekken: What is this exactly? TTT2 or T6 or?

Dahbomb

Let's wait to see what model they have in mind before we jump to conclusions. Worst come we can always go back to TTT2. My guess is that this is just the F2P version of TTT2.

Zukuu

Banned
I always wondered how you can do a Free To Play Fighting game, so you can attract more players to the genre. Kinda like MOBAs are free to play.

zeopower6

I always wondered how you can do a Free To Play Fighting game, so you can attract more players to the genre. Kinda like MOBAs are free to play.

DOA Ultimate is doing it like... you get 4 characters to use free of charge and can play online with other people and etc, but you have to pay for story mode (14.99~) and other characters (3.99 each). You can play on all modes except story too.

The commercial was so awkward on TV tbh for Tekken Revolution, lol.

Ron K

Yeah those are definitely Tag 2 stages. Moonlit Wilderness (T5 stage) and the Cathedral (T6 stage I think, but different)

Zukuu

Banned
DOA Ultimate is doing it like... you get 4 players to use free of charge and can play online with other people and etc, but you have to pay for story mode and other characters.

Don't think that approach works. That's nothing more than a demo imo. It could be done like LOL, but I dunno how well you could implement a rotation system on a console.

I actually thought about this for quite some time, and came up with a few approaches that could be viable.

Definitely interested in this.

Why do I have a 360 stick... Does anyone have good recommendations for a 360 to PS3 controller converter?

GrayFoxPL

Wonder if the new special smudges are only for the trailer or in game. Looks to have different filter too. Didn't see any taggin.

zeopower6

Don't think that approach works. That's nothing more than a demo imo. It could be done like LOL, but I dunno how well you could implement a rotation system on a console.

Well, the difference is that you're able to play in all the modes and play online with people with the F2P version, lol. At least, I don't remember many fighting game demos allowing online multiplayer... D:

I actually thought about this for quite some time, and came up with a few approaches that could be viable.
A demo doesn't give you full online modes. In DoA5's F2P case I believe you can set any character as a training dummy, something like that.

If you main one of the free characters you basically don't have to pay a single cent.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It could be done like LOL, but I dunno how well you could implement a rotation system on a console.

That's what they're planning on doing. Rotating characters on sale for less than they're normally on sale for and a preview, IIRC.

I think it could work. There are quite a few players to stick to one character over the course of the game. Giving them the option to download a base game then download that specific character might be more interesting to them than paying out $60 for the entire thing.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

I believe they will make free character this weekend kind of events so people can try it before buying by those events. IMO it works nice.

RK9039

There doesn't seem to be any tagging going on, but the stages are definitely from Tag 2.

Whatever this is, I want it.

DR2K

Banned

You get the full game outside of story mode + 4 characters to use those modes with. You can unlock costumes, play their combo trials, tutorial, tag mode, arcade battle, time attack, online mode, training, record matches and upload to youtube, etc. . .

true but now we have a good f2p fighter

Game didn't look like Tekken 5 to me.

I wonder if this was the "unannounced fighting game" that Harada was supposed to present at E3?

Probably not. Interested in seeing more of it though.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
true but now we have a good f2p fighter

I enjoyed DOA5 a whole lot more than TTT2 so there is that.
KuGsj.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, so soon? Guess this was the E3 fighting game surprise. Might as well try this out & see if I can get into the series.

Question remains how much content you'll get for free, especially after hearing about DoA5U Core Fighter.

Zukuu

Banned
I think it could work. There are quite a few players to stick to one character over the course of the game. Giving them the option to download a base game then download that specific character might be more interesting to them than paying out $60 for the entire thing.

I mean for a free to play fighting game.
Limiting the base to 4 characters = demo mode imo. That's just not how fighting games work.

Top Bottom