• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrible album covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJet

Won't post it, but I remember a Scorpions album cover that featured a naked underage girl with fish hooks attached to her lady bits.

Phyranion

hopsin-raw-cover.jpg

Won't post it, but I remember a Scorpions album cover that featured a naked underage girl with fish hooks attached to her lady bits.

It's supposed to be a shattered glass effect, not fish hooks.

On that note, any Nicole 12 album cover. Mikko Aspa (vocalist of Deathspell Omega) is a pretty good musician and all but there's no way I'll ever buy any of those albums.

I don't really have any bad covers in my collection. Even the ones where some band member with no graphic design knowledge made the cover I tend to find pretty charming. The worst I have are just some really bland ones.

luso

Portugal's "popular" music (different from common "pop-music") has a lot of examples, these are well known:

nel-monteiro-puta-vida-merda-cagalhc3b5es.jpg

Nel Monteiro
(title translates as "bitch live, shit, turds"

quimba.jpg

Quim Barreiros

Title translate as "I received an invitation (to Jóquina's house)"

Deserved. The Kid A era had some amazing art.

And this one always bothered me. Crystal Castles I.

Crystal_Castles_-_Self-titled.png

It's just bland compared to II and III, which are great.

They actually wanted to have this album-cover:
madonna-crystal-castles.jpg

but weren't allowed. So they made above mentioned cover as an ironic protest towards shitty, minimalistic, hipster-covers where everyone is standing around and doing weird shit.

I think a lot of these are too self-aware to be truly awful, like the one with the bears. It's like when people post clips of Japanese game shows and go, "Wow, Japanese television is so crazy! What a bunch of weirdos!" It's like, "Yeah. That's sorta the point..." When the artists realize how ridiculous something is, it takes the punch out of the joke.

That's why this is awesome...

richardandwillie.jpg

And these are pure trash...

abominationz-full.jpg

^ Horrendous composition. Bad photoshop. Tacky everything.

coup-cover-300.jpg

^ Just plain tasteless.

coup-cover-300.jpg

^ Just plain tasteless.

Not going to try and defend this, but I remember reading about this cover. It was originally created and released in June or July of 2001, well before the attacks. They wanted to keep the original art but eventually changed it to something less offensive, a glass of wine or something.

Just for context. I remember this album actually getting decent reviews too.

VARIA

They actually wanted to have this album-cover:
madonna-crystal-castles.jpg

but weren't allowed. So they made above mentioned cover as an ironic protest towards shitty, minimalistic, hipster-covers where everyone is standing around and doing weird shit.

Welp, time to change to this cover in itunes.

Not going to try and defend this, but I remember reading about this cover. It was originally created and released in June or July of 2001, well before the attacks. They wanted to keep the original art but eventually changed it to something less offensive, a glass of wine or something.

Yeah, I was about to say something similar. It was a pretty bad but not intentional coincidence.

Ah. Well that's good to know. Still pretty terrible now though lol.

Famassu

From a quick scan through Spotify:

3OJfE4A.jpg

what even is this? this and all their singles for this album look like someone made some default shapes in 3ds max and slapped a paint texture on them.

Looks like colourful vinyls that have been molten and bent into those kinds of shapes. Awesome cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom