• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror in Resonance announced - Shinichiro Watanabe, Yoko Kanno, Kazuto Nakazawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Best recent anime announcement is Redline's Koike is going to direct Lupin the IIIrd: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone. Now that shit is going to be hype.

Oh shit! Didn't even hear about this.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed The Woman Named Mine Fujiko, even if the plot made zero sense towards the end (or anywhere in the series, really). It looked great and was just a lot of fun, excited to see another similar take to that.

Hopefully this is all leading up to a proper Lupin series with Koike at the helm, though.

edit: oh, it's a movie? That's cool. Can't wait to see it in a year :\

duckroll

There's a huge update for the show today: http://terror-in-tokyo.com/

New trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtA8aYjzzM

Sample of Kanno music from the official site: http://terror-in-tokyo.com/images/terror.mp3

The update also reveals that the assistant director on the show is the talented young Yuzuru Tachikawa, director of Death Billiards who also directed episode 7 of both Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill. Both the opening and ending themes are composed by Yoko Kanno with Galileo Galilei's Yuuki Ozaki performing the opening and Aimer performing the ending.

Xc5bkPV.jpg

Aeana

duckroll just showed this to me today, and now I'm really interested. It used to be that I could rely on noitaminA to always have at least one show to watch each season, but it's been so long that I quit even bothering to check. Really happy to be interested in a new show again.

Daft_Cat

Wow, that trailer sure is something.

Looks very similar to Kids on the Slope in terms of style. Content is obviously vastly different though. Some really great imagery in there...

I enjoyed Space Dandy, but I'm happy to see Watanabe returning to something a bit more serious.

duckroll

Sounds very nice so far. I was expecting something akin to her GITS:SAC/Darker than Black/Wolf's Rain work with an emphasis on a subdued atmosphere and so far it's not exactly similar but the feelings are there.

Yes the music reminds me a lot of GitS:SAC in particular. It's more experimental and atmospheric, which I think reflects the tone of the show well too. Not like the more dynamic stuff she did for Bebop (and I would say DtB too). Wolf's Rain had more of a folk song quality to the music direction too, which sets it apart.

Either way, I'm hoping for the best here. Dandy is fun, but it'll be interesting to see if Watanabe is still top-tier when it comes to creating a serious original anime. :)

Barmaley

Neo Member
They took down the trailer :(
The music sounds like classic Yoko Kanno, very ripoff-ey. Not necessarily a drawback....

TheRancor

Cant believe people go with this still.... if it is ripoffy, then ripoff will be my middle name, cause she makes amazing music.
Look, you can like her music, I enjoy it as well and obviously original stuff by her still gets composed but it's been widely documented that a fair amount of her music has been heavily inspired or plagiarized from something else.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I saw episode one and two at AX. I actually liked it so far. It reminded me a little bit of Death Note and The Place Promised in Our Early Days.

I had some qualms about it, but so far they seem to have gone, because each episode made me want to watch the next. Unfortunately, two is all we got.

Dennis

Banned
I saw episode one and two at AX. I actually liked it so far. It reminded me a little bit of Death Note and The Place Promised in Our Early Days.

I had some qualms about it, but so far they seem to have gone, because each episode made me want to watch the next. Unfortunately, two is all we got.

Any way to watch these outside of AX?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm not sure.

They threatened to eject anyone using a camera during the premier, so I don't know if someone went ahead and try to capture it regardless.

sonicmj1

Episode 5 - Oops, wrong thread!

Those of you who wanted more character development will probably continue to be a little disappointed. Those of you who wanted the plot to get off its formulaic riddle rails will be pleased. Playtime is over.

If Watanabe started this pitch trying to look at the consequences of a modern terror attack in Japan, he clearly got sidetracked somewhere along the way. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but if there were any doubts about what this show is, those doubts should be gone with this episode. It's every bit the convoluted crime thriller. The terror attack stuff just works to add a sense of verisimilitude, which can be seen in the show's attention to detail in the way of modern computer interfaces and technologies, or in aspects of the public response.

I don't feel like this episode quite hit the peaks the previous one reached in terms of editing and direction, but that's an enormously high bar. It still served to make otherwise predictable reveals and events much more thrilling than they'd otherwise be. And by finally
putting Sphinx on the defensive
, it left me with real uncertainty over just what the outcome would be.

I'd love to unpack this episode in more depth later. Even though very little is explicitly stated, I feel like it tells us more about who Nine actually is than any other episode to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom