• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura Expects New Kingdom Hearts Announcement Soon

Too bad that there are no plans for Birth by Sleep 2 :(

It's my most anticipated game at the moment, even more than Kingdom Hearts 3.
We'll see what's next soon I guess...

If it isn't KH3 Im gonna be pissed. :lol

But seriously, if it is another spinoff I don't even know how I would react..unless it was a spinoff, but on consoles. An HD KH game would be a beautiful thing.

Makes sense, but good luck convincing SE. It will probably be a handheld game due to the market in Japan.

KH is bigger outside Japan.

And we've already had two "main" entries on handhelds. Neither one sold anywhere near KH1 and KH2. SE would be stupid not to realize that KH is a home console franchise.

RPGCrazied

Theres been what? 4 handheld games so far? I guess 5 if you count re:com but that was rereleased on the PS2. I think the handheld games has got to stop, or I'll lose all interest in this franchise.

Verelios

Fuck Nomura. Wait, I don't mean that- he gave us TWEWY.

Fuck his baseless promises and slow development schedule. I'm sick and tired of hearing this shit and never seeing anything concrete; if you're going to give out promises like halloween candy, then please, for the love of god, do not give out excreted shit in candy wrappers. Because that just isn't right.

I'm not even talking about Versus. I could care less about Versus. What Versus? It's just that he announces announcement of announcements, made up of announcements, zipped up in convoluted shit that doesn't mean anything at the moment until the gods that be decide they want to 'maybe' start it up. But ok. It happens.

Sorry for the rant.

Mario007

Fuck his baseless promises and slow development schedule. I'm sick and tired of hearing this shit and never seeing anything concrete; if you're going to give out promises like halloween candy, then please, for the love of god, do not give out excreted shit in candy wrappers. Because that just isn't right.

I'm not even talking about Versus. I could care less about Versus. What Versus? It's just that he announces announcement of announcements, made up of announcements, zipped up in convoluted shit that doesn't mean anything at the moment until the gods that be decide they want to 'maybe' start it up. But ok. It happens.

Sorry for the rant.

There's been one KH game per year for the past 4 years. So he certainly doesn't have a slow development schedule.

Mario007

Are we including the handheld games in this. Because other than BbS- what's up?

Of course we're including the handheld games in here. They're all KH games and serve as a set-up for KH3. Honestly without the handheld games the KH story pretty much finishes in KH2 as there is nothing to lead you to KH3.

People should also stop treating handheld games as if they are something awful which isn't even worth considered to be a game. All KH handheld games could easily have been console games.

So what we have is:
368/2 Days in 2009
BBS in 2010
Re:Coded in 2011
DDD in 2012.

That's 4 KH games in 4 years, all of which changed up the KH formula, making each game a unique experience. In many ways though, they stayed true to the KH formula too, with exploring the Disney world or having a final boss in a custom-made world. Also even if you discount Days and Re:Coded as pure spin-offs then the only KH drought was between KH2 and BBS which was 3-4 years and now after BBS we're getting DDD after 2 years.

DJIzana

Sorry for the rant.

I totally agree with regards to his baseless promises. I can GUARANTEE you, if there's no release date to the next game announced, I wont touch another game from him.

It might apply to Square Enix in general, if they use the same business practices as Nomura for any other Final Fantasy or possibly any other game I'd be interested in, then F that... at that point, when Versus comes out, Square Enix will have died on a good note to me & I just wont buy anything from them at that point.

Mario007

I totally agree with regards to his baseless promises. I can GUARANTEE you, if there's no release date to the next game announced, I wont touch another game from him.

It might apply to Square Enix in general, if they use the same business practices as Nomura for any other Final Fantasy or possibly any other game I'd be interested in, then F that... at that point, when Versus comes out, Square Enix will have died on a good note to me & I just wont buy anything from them at that point.

Honestly, apart from Type-0 and Versus what other SE game has been stuck in development limbo? All other SE games this gen get revealed 2 years prior to their release at most, which is not unconventional in the industry (Theatherythm and XIII-2 actually got released within a year of being announced)

raven777

Despite how I hate Nomura's promises and never actually releasing the game/info, I just can't hate him because of KH and TWEWY.

DJIzana

Honestly, apart from Type-0 and Versus what other SE game has been stuck in development limbo? All other SE games this gen get revealed 2 years prior to their release at most, which is not unconventional in the industry (Theatherythm and XIII-2 actually got released within a year of being announced)

Hence the "If" part.

People are kind of forgetting that its SE higher ups thats preventing him from talking about Versus, if he thinks he can talk about it some day, and that time comes and they still tell him no he can't talk about it, what is he supposed to do?

DJIzana

People are kind of forgetting that its SE higher ups thats preventing him from talking about Versus, if he thinks he can talk about it some day, and that time comes and they still tell him no he can't talk about it, what is he supposed to do?

Ah yeah, that's true... either way, this falls back to bad business practice as a whole on Square Enix's part so I still stand against my statement, should that hold true for future games. :p

ZenaxPure

People should also stop treating handheld games as if they are something awful which isn't even worth considered to be a game. All KH handheld games could easily have been console games.

Exactly, especially when BBS outclasses every single KH game before it (and honestly makes it very hard to go back and play the others given how great it is). I will be the first to facepalm when all the great things BBS incorporated into the series are refined in KH3 and people talk about how KH3 is "original" and a huge step forward for the series "compared to the previous game KH2".

Bebpo

Banned

Type-0
Versus
FFXIII
The 3rd Birthday
FFVII Crisis Core

The problem is the ratio. How many big AAA productions has SE even released in a reasonable time manner this gen?

BBS (still took 3 years)
DQIX (hard to tell what a reasonable time is for DQ games)
KH 3D
FFXIII-2

and the last two are only there because of Wada's new "less polish, content, and quality, more 2 year cycles" policy.

SE gets a bad rap because most of their AAA production stuff has been in 3-7 year dev cycles per game. Maybe development hell, maybe just Valve/Blizzard time. Who knows. But SE games this gen have taken a long time to make, even on PSP. This trend is now over though as Wada's policy of 1.8 year dev cycles seems to be working with FFXIII-2 and KH 3D's quick releases. All AAA productions from here on out should fall in line. But stuff that started before that is still in limbo like Versus.

Now with the lower budget non-AAA stuff, SE has managed to make games in reasonable time this gen as they did last gen. It's only the big budget stuff that they've dropped the ball on.

Type-0
Versus
FFXIII
The 3rd Birthday
FFVII Crisis Core

The problem is the ratio. How many big AAA productions has SE even released in a reasonable time manner this gen?

BBS (still took 3 years)
DQIX (hard to tell what a reasonable time is for DQ games)
KH 3D
FFXIII-2

and the last two are only there because of Wada's new "less polish, content, and quality, more 2 year cycles" policy.

SE gets a bad rap because most of their AAA production stuff has been in 3-7 year dev cycles per game. Maybe development hell, maybe just Valve/Blizzard time. Who knows. But SE games this gen have taken a long time to make, even on PSP. This trend is now over though as Wada's policy of 1.8 year dev cycles seems to be working with FFXIII-2 and KH 3D's quick releases. All AAA productions from here on out should fall in line. But stuff that started before that is still in limbo like Versus.

Now with the lower budget non-AAA stuff, SE has managed to make games in reasonable time this gen as they did last gen. It's only the big budget stuff that they've dropped the ball on.

Yeah, and, it pains me to say, most people really only judge a company by their HD output; and that couldn't be more embarrassing for SE.
They have only three internally developed HD games. One of which took them forever to develop, had an extremely controversial reception and is considered the lowpoint of the franchise. The second game was an unfinished and broken MMO that they couldn't even monetize. And the third game is an asset reshuffle of their first HD game and nobody even cared about that anymore.
Versus being stuck in development hell for over half a decade is just the icing on the cake.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, and, it pains me to say, most people really only judge a company by their HD output; and that couldn't be more embarrassing for SE.
They have only a three internally developed HD games. One of which took them forever to develop, had an extremely controversial reception and is considered the lowpoint of the franchise. The second game was an unfinished and broken MMO that they couldn't even monetize. And the third game is an asset reshuffle of their first HD game and nobody even cared about that anymore.
Versus being stuck in development hell for over half a decade is just the icing on the cake.

I've said this in another thread, but you know SE is in rough shape when companies like Gust and NIS have more internally developed HD games than them.

I think SE's biggest problem still lies within management.

There's still the problem with SCEA's policy of not allowing physical release of HD remasters as single games though. I wonder how SE will bypass that with FFX HD.

If it's SCEA specifically, the fact that the International version has never been released in the US ought to get around that issue.

cilonen

So, are SE stealthily transitioning to a business model based on announcements only?

Once they figure out how to make money off hype alone they'll be back in the black, then none of us will have to worry about any actual end product. Drastically reduced business costs for them, hype ++ for us. Everyone's a winner.

Bebpo

Banned
Well, if you're comparing them to GUST or NIS, you can see where the problem lies.

SE games have 5x the model quality, amount of textures, detailed environments, animations, etc... than anything from GUST/NIS, so it does make sense SE games would take longer.

I think SE's problem is actually striving too high with the visual fidelity of their titles. FFXIII looked incredible when it came out. But are those visuals really worth spending 4-6 years on a game? Especially from a financial perspective. Especially if the game underneath those visuals turns out to be a failure?

Otoh, FFXIII-2 & KH 3D's visual roughness bother me a lot personally. So I don't know what the solution is. Less graphical ambition with more polish aka, what Gust does?

Type 0/3rd Birthday were just bad management though as a result of going from cellphone games -> PSP titles.

Diablos

cNsWy.jpg

Won't be KH3... :(

At this point, I kind of hate Versus.

Honestly, I think Versus is going to be better than KH3 was going to be if the Versus thing never happened, judging by Square-Enix's mindset around the 2006-2009 time frame:
WE ARE TEH BESTEST COMPANY EVAR WE CAN DO NO RONG AOR GAEMES ARE AN ART FORM LATIN LATIN LATIN LATIN LATIN LATIN

Famassu

Want: Kingdom Hearts HD Collection (Final Mix versions) and Kingdom Hearts III announcement.

Will get: Kingdom Hearts 1 HD (Regular version) and nw Kingdom Hearts mobile game announcement.

Sorry, just no faith left.
The FFX HD upgrade will be the version with all the additions that it got after the vanilla Japanese version, as far as we know. No reason why they wouldn't do the same for Kingdom Hearts.

And Kingdom Hearts III will probably be the next game in line, especially since Nomura came out and outright said there would be no Birth By Sleep 2. 3D ends where III will pick up, so since there is no Birth By Sleep 2 (which could've perhaps dealt with some pre-3D storylines, like Aqua's time in the realm of darkness), I'm not sure what else they could do. None of the characters other than Aqua and Mickey have done anything we haven't already seen and like I said 3D is the set-up for Kingdom Hearts III.

I've said this in another thread, but you know SE is in rough shape when companies like Gust and NIS have more internally developed HD games than them.

It's easy to do HD games when they are just prettied up PS2 (or, in NIS's case, PS1) games and do nothing too ambitious gameplay-wise (yeah, FFXIII is a pipefest, but at least the battlesystem is something fresh & fast-paced). Hell, it's not too far off to say that Square Enix's output on handhelds is more impressive than most Gust or NIS games.

What would be interesting, is if he included the BBSv2 scenario as the opening moments for KH3 so no one would be salty about it.

It would be like Roxas in KH2, only not as boring.

Go_Ly_Dow

My guess is KH HD collections to be the next entry in the series.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they had a small team in place to layout the groundwork for KH3 on consoles.

The amount of spin-off titles and platform spread has really started to take its toll on the series and a mainline console entry is urgently needed to restore and regain the high franchise status.

Well, if you're comparing them to GUST or NIS, you can see where the problem lies.

SE games have 5x the model quality, amount of textures, detailed environments, animations, etc... than anything from GUST/NIS, so it does make sense SE games would take longer.

I think SE's problem is actually striving too high with the visual fidelity of their titles. FFXIII looked incredible when it came out. But are those visuals really worth spending 4-6 years on a game? Especially from a financial perspective. Especially if the game underneath those visuals turns out to be a failure?

Otoh, FFXIII-2 & KH 3D's visual roughness bother me a lot personally. So I don't know what the solution is. Less graphical ambition with more polish aka, what Gust does?

Type 0/3rd Birthday were just bad management though as a result of going from cellphone games -> PSP titles.

Well, for 3rd Birthday it seems that there was a drastically different build that existed at one point in time, with different character models and scenes that didn't occur in the game.

Kyle beating up Aya in a closed room and walking through flames a la Sephiroth

It seems that there may have been a scrapped version of the game or at least of the story.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
is his FOCUS to ruin the Final Fantasy name?

If so, he should be turning to crystal very soon.

lol

Like I said... SE really needs to fix their management... You have people like Nomura working on 50 things at once while his flagship project STILL isn't out and hasn't been shown in a year and a half. Seriously, stop letting him work on so many other things at once.

2 spin-offs, you mean? I don't see anyone requesting a spin-off to Days or Coded.

I guess I should have worded it spin-off/side games.

• Days
  • Coded
  • BBS
  • Chain of Memories
  • KH3D

We got/are getting all of these before the next, proper, numbered entry in the series, and now we're talking sequels to these?

jiggle

lol
Seriously, stop letting him work on so many other things at once.

but who can they trust to replace him with?
toriyama/tanaka/kawazu?
lolol
kitase not happening and tabata probably too green(put him on FFVIIR!)?

SE's need for him to work on so many things is probably the reason versus is not outright cancelled at this point XD

but who can they trust to replace him with?
toriyama/tanaka/kawazu?
lolol
kitase not happening and tabata probably too green(put him on FFVIIR!)?

SE's need for him to work on so many things is probably the reason versus is not outright cancelled at this point XD

It's probably also the only reason we haven't seen any corporate meddling a la FFXII.

Yet.

Top Bottom