• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 Competitive Mode requires a Premium account (link a phone number or buy a pass)

Ludens

Banned
http://www.teamfortress.com/meetyourmatch/faq/

Not sure if old, anyway:

Q: HOW DO I GET ACCESS TO COMPETITIVE MODE?
A: To gain access to Competitive Mode, you must have a Premium TF2 Account and a qualifying telephone number on Steam. Examples of a telephone number that does not qualify would be a Voice Over IP number (e.g. Skype) or a number linked to a VAC-banned account. (For more information about qualifying phone numbers, please visit the Steam FAQ.)

Q: WHY DO I NEED A PHONE NUMBER?
A: Associating a phone number with a Steam account helps ensure a greater degree of account security and player accountability, which reduces the likelihood of cheating and abuse.

Q: WHAT IF I CAN'T OR DON'T WANT TO PROVIDE A PHONE NUMBER?

A: If you are unable to associate a telephone number with your Steam account, you can purchase a lifetime Competitive Access Pass from the Mann Co. Store. When the Meet Your Match Update goes live, you will be able to buy the Pass at an introductory discount rate of $9.99.

The term "Premium" when talking about TF2 does not mean linking a phone number, that's just an additional step needed to access the competitive mode. Premium account means that you have bought something (any item, so minimum 50 cents) from the TF2 store.

So you need both a premium account AND a phone number linked. Buying the pass automatically makes you premium anyway because you're spending money.

LordRaptor

As I understand it CS:GO is fairly cheat heavy because its current price isn't a big enough deterrent - I wonder if the "competitive access pass" will be priced accordingly.

I can see there's a price tension between not punishing legitimate players who do not have a phone account, and persistent cheaters who don't consider game sticker price enough of a disincentive

collige

Banned
I'm okay with this.
but dota 2 ranked...?

You need around 75 wins in normal matches to unlock ranked play in Dota 2 and even then people can still buy other people's Steam accounts wholesale. Dota also has less of a cheating problem than FPSes.

WaterAstro

Wait a TF2 specific pass? How come they couldn't just use Steam Full account to prevent this?

So much for free to play.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A long time ago I bought TF2 outright before it went F2P. I wonder if this means I have a "premium" account.

LordRaptor

Wait a TF2 specific pass? How come they couldn't just use Steam Full account to prevent this?

So much for free to play.

There has traditionally always been friction between free to play games and competitively ranked play within them, as the risk for being caught cheating is effectively just sign up a new account.

It's why often there is a big time grind prerequisite of some sort before you are eligible for 'ranked' matches.

I don't see what the problem is with this. Seems like the least intrusive way to deter unwantables.

In all the years I spent playing TF2, the people who didn't already have premium accounts were a tiny minority. Most people I knew eventually caved and bought a hat or crate key from the store. The thirst is too fucking strong.

Don't really play TF2 but being screwed over for lack of phone is getting annoying with this two system authorization. I already got boned sellings ummer cards because of this ( 4 bucks down the drain as i melted them into worthless gems).

Valve could easily implement a bar code system for non phone users, my tablet has an authorization app. I also have a paid skype number for work, but voip does not deliver sms, valve could easily make an automated call system.

Anyway, purchased the orange box years ago, i am guessing this puts me in teh tf2 premium user category.

If you don't have a premium account, you can just buy literally anything off the Mann Co. Store and you'll get upgraded. You'll also get more space for crates you'll never open and full access to trading and crafting, if that's your thing. If you bought the game before June 2011, you're already good to go.

The phone number stipulation was to be expected after CS:GO and all the pushing for the market, I guess.

Nzyme32

People buy CSGO repetitively to cheat on multiple accounts after getting banned. The idea of putting a $10 entry fee for those who don't want to put a phone number in effectively nullifies the effect of the mobile number check. People will just repetitively do it and mess up the competitive mode. I don't understand the logic other than digging more money from those people, other than maybe having a more easy line of seeing a group of people that might be more likely to cheat

therapist

pretty much what they did with CS , its a good thing to deter cheaters.

Giving the option of 10$ instead is odd , however - some cheaters have a lot of steam funds and that wouldnt stop em :/

LordRaptor

The idea of putting a $10 entry fee for those who don't want to put a phone number in effectively nullifies the effect of the mobile number check.

It says its an 'introductory' price, so the real question is where it ends up at, and if that number isn't sufficient, what would be.

Giving the option of 10$ instead is odd , however - some cheaters have a lot of steam funds and that wouldnt stop em :/

From the FAQ:

"A: To gain access to Competitive Mode, you must have a Premium TF2 Account and a qualifying telephone number on Steam."

It seems you need both, not either or.

People buy CSGO repetitively to cheat on multiple accounts after getting banned. The idea of putting a $10 entry fee for those who don't want to put a phone number in effectively nullifies the effect of the mobile number check. People will just repetitively do it and mess up the competitive mode. I don't understand the logic other than digging more money from those people, other than maybe having a more easy line of seeing a group of people that might be more likely to cheat

I mean, if you can't 100% kill off cheaters you might as well make money off of them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't really play TF2 but being screwed over for lack of phone is getting annoying with this two system authorization. I already got boned sellings ummer cards because of this ( 4 bucks down the drain as i melted them into worthless gems).

Valve could easily implement a bar code system for non phone users, my tablet has an authorization app. I also have a paid skype number for work, but voip does not deliver sms, valve could easily make an automated call system.

It's true that they could implement a VOIP system, but if they did that it would be vulnerable to the same degree of scamming because you'd be able to make a burner VOIP number for almost nothing and re-reg repeatedly. It's also true that they could do a tablet code, but that would be subject to the same issue--Apple does not allow permanent unique identifiers attached to hardware, only the UUID which can be reset with a button push.

The objective of this is to make it costly and time consuming to cheat the system. You might say that that isn't an objective worth pursuing, of course, but given that that's the objective Valve IS pursuing, your proposed alternative needs to do that.

It's not like with the 2FA account security / marketplace stuff where those limitations hurt their own objective.

LordRaptor

I mean, longterm (and not even that longterm) your mobile phone number is going to be your de facto global ID number, and all your accounts will be 2 factor authenticated through it, but we're certainly not there yet

TheYanger

No, you don't. You get a premium account in TF2 by buying anything from the store. This includes 50 cent items, but the minimum funding for Steam wallet is 5 bucks so it'll cost you that much if you don't have cards to sell.

I'm not sure that that's how this is going to work going forward, given that the lifetime competitive pass is available at a DISCOUNT at 9.99 according to the op. On the one hand, this is a F2P game, it makes sense to charge something to deter cheating. On the other hand, 10 dollars is not that amount.

I'm not sure that that's how this is going to work going forward, given that the lifetime competitive pass is available at a DISCOUNT at 9.99 according to the op. On the one hand, this is a F2P game, it makes sense to charge something to deter cheating. On the other hand, 10 dollars is not that amount.

It says it right there: the competitive pass bypasses the phone number requirement. Whether it makes sense or not, that's what they decided to do.

If you don't want to buy the pass, you need a premium account and a phone number. Premium has always been "buy any item from the store", and that isn't changing.

TheYanger

It says it right there: the competitive pass bypasses the phone number requirement. Whether it makes sense or not, that's what they decided to do.

If you don't want to buy the pass, you need a premium account and a phone number. Premium has always been "buy any item from the store", and that isn't changing.

Ah gotcha. Ridiculous, I have no desire to give them my phone number OR pay for more access when I already bought the damn game years ago. Good thing TF2 hasn't been installed for a year.

shiyrley

Banned
Ah gotcha. Ridiculous, I have no desire to give them my phone number OR pay for more access when I already bought the damn game years ago. Good thing TF2 hasn't been installed for a year.
If you bought the game you already have a premium account

Top Bottom