• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGS2004 Halo 2 pics!

shpankey

not an idiot
GhaleonEB said:
Mega-baka.

The shot with Frankie pointing just plain isn't stretched. Look a the text, warthog - it's all perfectly proportional, as is the title scree and other screens he's showing. Jeez - are you BLIND?

As for the show floor, the shots with Frankie are from a private press showing, the TV's on the show floor are obviously setup differently.

tgsxb208.jpg

It would be obvious if it were stretched - it's not. Stop trying to come up with something to flame about. Gah.

And look at the text in the image you posted. The Japanese text from the center to the edge is perfectly proportionate. No change.

Dude, the other guy is right... those are not widescreen... the picture you posted with Frank is not widescreen. You can even measure the little circle on the bottom left yourself, it is DEFINATELY absolutely *NOT* widescreen.

notacircle.jpg

GhaleonEB

shpankey said:
Dude, the other guy is right... those are not widescreen... the picture you posted with Frank is no widescreen. You can even measure the little circle on the bottom left yourself, it is DEFINATELY absolutely *NOT* widescreen.

Jesus!

GhaleonEB said:
Umm.....okay? I see it now? How many posts do I need to make admitting that I was wrong? Sorry! Apologies! Crow eaten! Foot in mouth! Yummy!

:D

GhaleonEB =

owneddeath.jpg

Stop! I'm wrong! Be nice to me!

gapebbles.jpg

shpankey

not an idiot
back on topic, no 16:9 support is a fucking travesty. I can't even fathom this shit, it's a total "wtf"! doesn't seem like a hard thing to add in a game they've been working on and perfecting for all this time. they fucking know xbox users dig shit like this, they fucking know that this would be important for all of us harcore a/v freaks.

i am so saddened by this, as much as GT4 not being online even... although of course i'll still get it (duh!) and it's true it doesn't look too bad stretched (neither did part 1) but fucking dammnit, there's principalities here... this is the showcase mother fucking game of the decade, no 16:9 just boggles the mother fucking MIND!!!!

ARGGHHHHHHH! DAMNIT!!!!!

Miburou

If people would just tell others they're wrong, instead of calling them "baka" and accusing them of trolling, then they wouldn't look so bad when they're proven wrong.

GhaleonEB

shpankey said:
back on topic, no 16:9 support is a fucking travesty. I can't even fathom this shit, it's a total "wtf"! doesn't seem like a hard thing to add in a game they've been working on and perfecting for all this time. they fucking know xbox users dig shit like this, they fucking know that this would be important for all of us harcore a/v freaks.

i am so saddened by this, as much as GT4 not being online even... although of course i'll still get it (duh!) and it's true it doesn't look too bad stretched (neither did part 1) but fucking dammnit, there's principalities here... this is the showcase mother fucking game of the decade, no 16:9 just boggles the mother fucking MIND!!!!

ARGGHHHHHHH! DAMNIT!!!!!

Now that I've (ahem) seen the light, yeah it's pretty disappointing. I don't have a widescreen, but I hope to in the next two years and if I play Halo 2 as long as I have Halo, I'll be playing it on that. Still, I'll wait for final confirmation from Bungie or a back of the box shot with the supported features shown.

One one hand, if the support is not there it's a big bummer. On the other hand, as I so wonderfully illustrated earlier, I don't think it will affect the game much.

shpankey said:

ARGGHHHHHHH! DAMNIT!!!!!

I agree, that's why I can't understand why they keep showing the game on 16:9 tv's... just seems so backwards to me. It can't be that big a deal to add a true 16:9 mode. I just don't get it...they probably all play it on 16:9 tvs right in there in the Bungie offices!! Why wouldn't THEY want their own game to have 16:9 support!!??

Miburou

Maybe there's no widescreen support so that people with widescreen TV don't have an advantage over those that don't when it comes to online multiplayer games?

GhaleonEB

Miburou said:
Maybe there's no widescreen support so that people with widescreen TV don't have an advantage over those that don't when it comes to online multiplayer games?

That's actually a good thought, given how much effort Bungie is putting into balancing the online play. I suspect it may have as much to do with that as with with their pushing the limits of the hardware as it is, and simply cannot afford to show more on screen.

I can see why there wouldn't be 16:9 support in online play, as it would be a considerable advantage...but offline and campaign would certainly be nice.

COCKLES

being watched
Perhaps the Japanese don't get Widescreen to reduce motion sickness?

I still think they should have retooled the game for Japan - dressed MC up in buckles and a gothic coat while wielding a giant broadsword called ELEGANT DARK SADNESS with Cortana dressed in a teeny miniskirt showing her stocking tops. INSTAMILLIONSELLER!

shpankey

not an idiot
MightyHedgehog said:
Just desperate little bit here, but perhaps the UI and HUD graphics aren't formatted for widescreen...but the rest is.

Interesting. I remember RSC 1 did that. But doesn't sound like something from Bungie... they are to anal about the little shit to let that slip.

The targetting reticle looks perfectly circular, although that might have more to do with the common stretch-effect mode that many widescreen TVs employ, where the center third is still in the normal ratio, but the left and right thirds are stretched as they move toward the edges of the screen.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"i am so saddened by this, as much as GT4 not being online even... "

you have to be fucking kidding me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Miburou said:

i'm pretty sure thats why they said it wasnt in halo 1, and i'm pretty sure thats why it wont be in halo 2... maybe single player, but i doubt it

Cubsfan23

Banned
Miburou said:

Hell, Why stop there? They should also cut out 5.1 sound, don't want people hearing my footsteps ;)

ced

Here we go bitching about something you all are not even certain is in or out. When will it stop.

Didnt Joe just post a video where it was in widescreen?

Anyways, The shield draped over the radar is slick. Also looks like the Elite holds a left hand up when weilding the energy sword now, I never saw that in the earlier beta stuff.

Buggy Loop

I wouldnt have cared 1 month ago, but now that i have a widescreen TV, I want halo 2 in widescreen damnit! :( Its microsoft's major showcase title, and like panopticblue says, every damn TVs at bungie are probably 16:9, same with microsoft test studios, i mean these guys arent poor, just look at how many there are on the TGS floor, why wouldnt they want their game to support it ? The online excuse is so pathetic, UT2k4 on PC supports it, like cubsfan said, its like saying that they should cut 5.1 sound, to not give 5.1 HT owners an advantage over those with 2 channel TVs /megarolleyes

And yes, im also disapointed that Metroid prime 2 doesnt have 16:9, goddamnit >_<

op_ivy said:
i'm pretty sure thats why they said it wasnt in halo 1, and i'm pretty sure thats why it wont be in halo 2... maybe single player, but i doubt it

I must have missed the online multiplayer in Halo 1. I'll grant you system link though...

But heck, they give one player in a 3 player split screen game an advantage, why would they be against widescreen for that reason.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mr. Lemming said:
I must have missed the online multiplayer in Halo 1. I'll grant you system link though...

But heck, they give one player in a 3 player split screen game an advantage, why would they be against widescreen for that reason.

shit, i dunno, i just remember reading that somewhere...

and according to parsons, its (widescreen) in halo 2 anyways

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's called 4:3 expanded on my tv. It's actually a nice stretch mode where it only stretches the sides of the screen, and the middle portion is not stretched (or maybe just very slightly).

That sounds cool as hell, but wouldn't that cause distortions on the sides?

Also, how do you enable widescreen support in UT2004?! There is no option available for that in the game menu, as far as I can tell. I know that CS-Source allows you to choose your aspect ratio from the video options...but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, that's the problem, those resolutions aren't an option.

Perhaps I can just add that into the INI file or something?

Alright, it worked! Looks excellent!

Top Bottom