• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(TGS22 Overview) Xbox at TGS

ungalo

It's better to have something than nothing, that's for sure. Still Xbox will never be the console you buy if you like japanese games because those are the leftovers.

And that's up for debate but i'd rather have 1 or 2 japanese games that are the product of a real partnership from the get-go with Microsoft as a publisher than all of this. Would make me far more enthusiastic honestly because it would show a contribution to japanese games that's really meaningful and special, a harder task too.

And i'm saying that as a Gamepass user, but consumer logic has its limits when you are really passionate about gaming.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
These are games that exist on other platforms.

I mean, most of these games are old and have been out on other platforms for years already. Its like the Japanese publishers are throwing scraps at the Xbox and showing the bear minimum of "support"

200.gif

Let the sodium flow.

Pallas

Meaning they aren't exclusive to 1 platform....they just weren't on Xbox so saying "Mainly exclusive games going multi platform." is still wrong

Depends how you look at it, my statement was more of a blanket statement concerning games like Persona and Yakuza which were series largely exclusive to one platform for several years. So sorry if my statement made it seem like I was solely talking about Ni No Kuni series.

Ni No Kuni 1 & 2 remasters and coming to Gamepass is icing on the cake though. It’ll get even more exposure being available easily on Gamepass.

I’m honestly not sure why you are trying to downplay this though, let people be happy who are excited about this. It’s irrelevant if the game is 1 year old or 10 years old. Just be happy more gamers can play these great games.

Last edited:
So I see the strategy on here was to make fun of games since they launched on PS3 like Ni No Kuni and Persona 5 as "weebo garbage" for a decade. Then once they get a port to Xbox two console generations later, claim Phil as a genius.

I'm gonna assume Octopath Traveler 2 looks terrible, even though the first is an all-time Xbox classic?

splattered

Pretty damn cool that all these are coming to game pass, but I'll be buying most of them day one. I'm super excited for the arc systems fighting games I've always loved guilty gear and blaze blue. And I already own lots of these on PlayStation and switch so showing my love on Xbox as well

anthony2690

Banned
So I see the strategy on here was to make fun of games since they launched on PS3 like Ni No Kuni and Persona 5 as "weebo garbage" for a decade. Then once they get a port to Xbox two console generations later, claim Phil as a genius.

I'm gonna assume Octopath Traveler 2 looks terrible, even though the first is an all-time Xbox classic?
Eh? No one has said octopath traveller 2 looks terrible, I actually think it looks a lot better than the first game, especially the setting.

I've put about 12 hours into the first game, love jrpgs, but the encounter rate was far too high for me, maybe I'll retry in the future.

But I personally love the genre and really looking forward to persona 5 royal & I love Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White witch (beat it in the past and I'm installing to replay today) I think my playthrough of Diofield Chronicles is now on hold :)

I also think it's a silly to generalise due to a couple bad/bitter apples.

I'm super pumped about guilty gear strive coming too, as it was a game I thought I'd miss out on :)

Last edited:

Pallas

You should really stop generalizing and assuming that everyone with a Xbox hates Japanese games.

P.S. Octopath Traveler 2 looks gorgeous.

EDMIX

Likely.

Octopath Traveler 2 even skipping that platform doesn't help show anything is paying off, its actually showing that some are moving on and those deals to bring titles over may have not payed off for all titles or something. I still think its a good idea for Phil to get those deals, but they can't spend a whole gen paying for development for all those 3rd parties for flops or something. Even I questioned just how many are even playing some of those games?

Maybe not enough if Square felt like they had no reason to port to XB with Octopath Traveler 2, I get that Phil can pay for another port, but all that proves is that MS NEEDS to pay for those ports...nothing is paying off other then him writing a check for ports as the games may not be doing well enough for publishers to want to put titles on the system for better sales or something.

I think with Yakuza, it makes sense and Sega likely saw a huge boost in sales as to why Yakuza 8 is coming to it, but I think a lot of that is also based on Sega having a plan to boost Yakuza in general like with those remakes, remasters etc, same can't be said for everyone if we are hearing new games out right skipping them.

So time will tell if this payed off or not as Octopath Traveler 2 might be the beginning of many titles continuing to skip them unless that check comes thru. They should want to be on the platform to move units, not for a check to pay for the development, I'd argue that proves nothing is actually really happening other then MS begging for them to stay or something lol Who knows.

This is all?. Should I be impressed or what?

Sir, you should be going NUTS for a game from 11 years ago being ported lol

splattered

Likely.

Octopath Traveler 2 even skipping that platform doesn't help show anything is paying off, its actually showing that some are moving on and those deals to bring titles over may have not payed off for all titles or something. I still think its a good idea for Phil to get those deals, but they can't spend a whole gen paying for development for all those 3rd parties for flops or something. Even I questioned just how many are even playing some of those games?

Maybe not enough if Square felt like they had no reason to port to XB with Octopath Traveler 2, I get that Phil can pay for another port, but all that proves is that MS NEEDS to pay for those ports...nothing is paying off other then him writing a check for ports as the games may not be doing well enough for publishers to want to put titles on the system for better sales or something.

I think with Yakuza, it makes sense and Sega likely saw a huge boost in sales as to why Yakuza 8 is coming to it, but I think a lot of that is also based on Sega having a plan to boost Yakuza in general like with those remakes, remasters etc, same can't be said for everyone if we are hearing new games out right skipping them.

So time will tell if this payed off or not as Octopath Traveler 2 might be the beginning of many titles continuing to skip them unless that check comes thru. They should want to be on the platform to move units, not for a check to pay for the development, I'd argue that proves nothing is actually really happening other then MS begging for them to stay or something lol Who knows.

Sir, you should be going NUTS for a game from 11 years ago being ported lol

You just pulled all of this out of your butt. Go wash your hands sir.

anthony2690

Banned

I think it also helps that Yakuza has been really well received on Xbox and sega have continued to release new games day one, same time as other platforms.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Some of you are trying to hard... "These are scrap games, why should I care?" .... Bringing all these to Xbox is HUGE! Even if they're older games they're all GOOD games and will help expose a younger generation of players to japanese games that don't get to play them elsewhere. This is all a win whether you realize it or not.
you're being dramatic...its not "huge" its just decent and good that everyone has access. Relax, these aren't megaton games.

Last edited:
Getting very old games that have been on other platforms for years is hardly something I'm gonna applaud Phil Spencer for. Now if he can get them on release, that would be something but I get the feeling the same thing will happen again. It is a start though, I suppose.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I think it also helps that Yakuza had been really well received on Xbox and sega have continued to release new games day one, same time as other platforms.

Yup.

So it really depends on the IP and how that install base responds. Yakuza is a IP that makes a lot of sense to be on many platforms and I felt for a long time that type of beat em up thing could work and that install base would probably like it. So I like Sega going all in with that.

You just pulled all of this out of your butt. Go wash your hands sir.

Take Snickers Splattered lol

Nah, it was confirmed already

qy9D379.jpg

Eh? No one has said octopath traveller 2 looks terrible, I actually think it looks a lot better than the first game, especially the setting.

I've put about 12 hours into the first game, love jrpgs, but the encounter rate was far too high for me, maybe I'll retry in the future.

But I personally love the genre and really looking forward to persona 5 royal & I love Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White witch (beat it in the past and I'm installing to replay today) I think my playthrough of Diofield Chronicles is now on hold :)

I also think it's a silly to generalise due to a couple bad/bitter apples.

I'm super pumped about guilty gear strive coming too, as it was a game I thought I'd miss out on :)
Apologies. I know you made the thread, but I'm not talking about anthony2690 anthony2690 . I should have made that clear.

I know you're an Xbox guy, but you're also a videogame guy first. I'm talking about other usual suspects here who claim every exclusive PS game is trash, but then have to contradict themselves when they come to Xbox years later. I heard it with Nier Automata, Persona, Yakuza, Final Fantasy, etc.

I'm talking about the posters who will show up in every God of War, Horizon, thread, etc and point out every flaw and remind us it's "not for them, but they're happy others think it's good", then in every single announcement for GamePass talk about what a great game each is, no matter how insincere they sound. "This 'You Suck at Parking looks really cool. I can't believe we get it for 'free day one".

Three

Wait what. Since when did Phil had input on who releases on Overwatch?
Yeah that one is a weird thing to include. As if Phil had to fly to japan, called Activison then said "you know what would be a really good idea for a hero"

It pays off in the sense that he is there promoting Overwatch though. Not so much what hero is being made for overwatch.

Last edited:

splattered

Yup.

So it really depends on the IP and how that install base responds. Yakuza is a IP that makes a lot of sense to be on many platforms and I felt for a long time that type of beat em up thing could work and that install base would probably like it. So I like Sega going all in with that.

[/URL]
[/URL]

qy9D379.jpg

Eh I'm not too bothered by Square games not coming to Xbox right now... I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were paying for blanket blocking rights there for the bigger titles. Xbox isn't going to be able to convince every Japanese publisher/dev out there to port or day one their games, esp not right away. Like it's always said this sort of stuff will take time. Proof is in the pudding and some devs are going to need to be shown that the support will be worth their effort, it's just the way it is. Whether that comes from Xbox writing checks or some some devs finally taking a leap of faith it really doesn't matter. Progress is progress and it should be seen as a positive.

anthony2690

Banned
Apologies. I know you made the thread, but I'm not talking about anthony2690 anthony2690 . I should have made that clear.

I know you're an Xbox guy, but you're also a videogame guy first. I'm talking about other usual suspects here who claim every exclusive PS game is trash, but then have to contradict themselves when they come to Xbox years later. I heard it with Nier Automata, Persona, Yakuza, Final Fantasy, etc.

I'm talking about the posters who will show up in every God of War, Horizon, thread, etc and point out every flaw and remind us it's "not for them, but they're happy others think it's good", then in every single announcement for GamePass talk about what a great game each is, no matter how insincere they sound. "This 'You Suck at Parking looks really cool. I can't believe we get it for 'free day one".
I have a preference for Xbox, but like you said I love seeing new video games across all platforms, I just love seeing how games have advanced since I was a little boy, I still fondly remember being blown away by Virtua fighter 2 and thinking games would never look better. :)

I use to own a ps5 & switch as well and been gaming since the sega master system, pretty much owning every platform that came out in the UK.

I just realised in the past year or so, I can not even keep up with the games I want to play on Xbox alone as it is, & have multiple friends lists on different platforms etc, so downsized. (& Obviously between work, spending time with my other half and family and my hobby, I would have consoles sat there untouched for a year or so plus untouched, whilst still buying games for them that took my fancy, it made no sense) :p

But I really dislike these guys who feel the need to insult another platform or game because it isn't coming to their preferred platform or feel the need to warrior over trivial stuff, they just come across as really bitter.

I think the only Japanese game I've ever spoken bad off is Nier Automata (I really really didn't like that game sadly, great ost though)

& God Of War Ragnarok and Rise of Ronin on ps5 both look excellent imo :D

I'm super pumped about the future off games in general, if I win the lottery and can quit work I'll become a multiplatform gamer again though, due to extra time! ❤️

adamsapple

Some of you are trying to hard... "These are scrap games, why should I care?" .... Bringing all these to Xbox is HUGE! Even if they're older games they're all GOOD games and will help expose a younger generation of players to japanese games that don't get to play them elsewhere. This is all a win whether you realize it or not.

Well said.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yup.

qy9D379.jpg

paid exclusive?

MarkMe2525

They were already on PC/Switch though.
Does everyone own a pc/switch? Why is this so hard to understand. If you game exclusively on Xbox, you now have access to games you previously did not. It's really that simple.

Edit: I see you may have misread someone else's comment and your post was the result. If so, disregard this.

Last edited:

KingT731

Does everyone own a pc/switch? Why is this so hard to understand. If you game exclusively on Xbox, you now have access to games you previously did not. It's really that simple.
That's not difficult to understand at all but that wasn't what was said. That simple.

EDMIX

Eh I'm not too bothered by Square games not coming to Xbox right now... I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were paying for blanket blocking rights there for the bigger titles.
The massive lols, from pulling it from my "butt" to "i'm not bothered by Square games". So...not true, but if it is true, not bothered and it must be "blocking rights"? lol

Its not that serious man....

Sony and Nintendo and Valve are all blocking them from having Octopath Traveler 2?
paid exclusive?

lol unlikely. I'd agree if it was only on Switch or only on PS or something, but for it to come to all those systems and just omit XB likely shows the first didn't do that well.

Could be Square's way of letting MS know, if they want that content, they can pay for the port themselves. If it was really worth it, they'd be bringing it day and date. They are holding out for that port money cause they know they'll move monster units regardless of some XB version or something.

Look at Yakuza, Ishin remake, that Kiryu side game and Yakuza 8 all coming to PC, PS and XB day and date.

Maybe it worked out for some, didn't for others. As much as I can take from this anyway

royox

They can release as many JRPG as they want on Xbox. As long as those JRPG are not Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XVI and FFVII Remakes I literally give no fucks about XboxSeries (and I REALLY REALLY want a reason to buy that juicy series S over a stupid oversized overpriced PS5).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
you're being dramatic...its not "huge" its just decent and good that everyone has access. Relax, these aren't megaton games.

It is pretty huge that these games are coming. It wouldn't have even been expected last gen.

This may also pave the way for future titles to launch day and date on xbox thanks to the groundwork Phil has made.

Imagine Persona 6 and dragon quest day one on xbox, just like yakuza is now. That shit is huge.

It's great progress for the xbox platform.

vj27

Banned
Paying off in what way? Late ports on GP? Sequels not coming to Xbox after launching on GP?
I mean you can’t just say welp, we tried, an completely stop looking for Japanese support. This is literally better than nothing, feel me? Gotta start somewhere even if you have to make your on starting point.

adamsapple

I mean you can’t just say welp, we tried, an completely stop looking for Japanese support. This is literally better than nothing, feel me? Gotta start somewhere even if you have to make your on starting point.

These games coming to Xbox means future entries in these franchises are a lot more likely to be on Xbox day 1 than before.

But if that happens, then the same posters will be chastising Phil for not getting them as exclusives or not coming to game pass day 1.

It's a pattern.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The massive lols, from pulling it from my "butt" to "i'm not bothered by Square games". So...not true, but if it is true, not bothered and it must be "blocking rights"? lol

Its not that serious man....

Sony and Nintendo and Valve are all blocking them from having Octopath Traveler 2?

lol unlikely. I'd agree if it was only on Switch or only on PS or something, but for it to come to all those systems and just omit XB likely shows the first didn't do that well.

Could be Square's way of letting MS know, if they want that content, they can pay for the port themselves. If it was really worth it, they'd be bringing it day and date. They are holding out for that port money cause they know they'll move monster units regardless of some XB version or something.

Look at Yakuza, Ishin remake, that Kiryu side game and Yakuza 8 all coming to PC, PS and XB day and date.

Maybe it worked out for some, didn't for others. As much as I can take from this anyway

well we do kmopw Sony pays to keep games off xbox and pays to keep them off gamepass to so it could be that

EDMIX

well we do kmopw Sony pays to keep games off xbox and pays to keep them off gamepass to so it could be that

I don't see either paying to have em also appear on rival systems either so.

Unlikely.

It might be based on low sales of the first game on XB and them wanting XB to pay for port cost.

KingT731

They started during the 360 Era. It's legit why I got a 360 for Blue Dragon, Lost Oddessy and Star Ocean 4 and some others that eventually did come to PS3. I'm just saying that outside of Wo Long I'm not getting excited for old games.

spons

Gold Member
Xbox will keep selling in Japan, especially due to Game Pass and the incomprehensible decision to bump up the price of the PS5 there and elsewhere.
This will absolutely cause an effect with more Japanese games being released on the devices and services, meaning more games, meaning more sales, etc.
And as said before, Xbox 360 had some good games that are now backwards compatible on Series consoles. Honestly I see only good things today.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't see either paying to have em also appear on rival systems either so.

Unlikely.

It might be based on low sales of the first game on XB and them wanting XB to pay for port cost.

the game sold over 3 million across platforms and was on gamepass so am guessing they got decent money out of Microsoft for it being on gamepass

EDMIX

the game sold over 3 million across platforms and was on gamepass so am guessing they got decent money out of Microsoft for it being on gamepass

They probably did, but I don't think that money was enough to cover that port or the port sold very little or something.

If they got money from MS before to have it on XB, they are likely holding out for that.

I don't see anything to suggest they even need to put it out on XB for it to move huge units, so right now its merely an opinion vs a necessity. So I'm sure they indeed got something, I'm not sure it was enough as you'd likely see a day and date thing like we are seeing from Yakuza Ishin, Yakuza 8 etc. So Square doesn't need to do anything and the game will move record units, its upon MS to pay that port money.

Square knows they have leverage. I'm sure it will come to XB mind you, simply after they get that money to port it as they don't seem to want to go out of their way for this and sound like they want MS to pay upfront for those ports.

Top Bottom