• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(TGS22 Overview) Xbox at TGS

Some of you are trying to hard... "These are scrap games, why should I care?" .... Bringing all these to Xbox is HUGE! Even if they're older games they're all GOOD games and will help expose a younger generation of players to japanese games that don't get to play them elsewhere. This is all a win whether you realize it or not.
HUGE seems like a bit of an overstatement based on this presentation alone. Bringing these games over to Xbox is nice but hardcores have already played them and casuals are way more interested in new games. Some of those titles are 2 gens old a this point, doesnt make them bad but it DOES make them less relevant.

If this results in MS getting some solid relationships with Level-5, Team Ninja etc for the future, THEN its HUGE. But we are yet to see any evidence for that. For example Wo Long being day one game pass is probably their biggest Japanese deal right now, and that immediately got countered by Team Ninja announcing a true PS5 exclusive for 2024.

Its impossible to see this as a bad thing, but its foundational at best and does nothing to change the argument regarding Japanese games on xbox.

Sacred

Too many petty people in here that care far too much about what some fanbase gets to play. I mean grow the fuck up, more exposure means a better chance for sequels and a bigger budget for some of these less known titles. It taps into a new market and generates devs more money for their older games to be put into future titles. As I get older I just don't get fanboyism, seems so juvenile and idiotic to waste your time on a company that you don't work for or with.

On topic, I'm excited to finally try out Ni No Kuni and there are a few other titles that look really interesting.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Congrats OP you've earned.

CHNbZ24.jpg

Last edited:

Fredrik

These games coming to Xbox means future entries in these franchises are a lot more likely to be on Xbox day 1 than before.
Or they’re just late ports like any other late port and if Sony want exclusivity they’ll pay for it and get it like what happened with Final Fantasy after a couple releases on Xbox.

The sooner we all accept that we need all platforms the sooner we’ll all stop fighting about these stupid platform bubbles and can happily just game on like we should instead of sitting here talking crap about stuff we can’t do anything about anyway.

I’ve fully accepted that I’ll always need a Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo console going forward. I’m not happy but I’m in the acceptance stage.

For example Wo Long being day one game pass is probably their biggest Japanese deal right now, and that immediately got countered by Team Ninja announcing a true PS5 exclusive for 2024.

I'm starting to see people saying this..so let's get this straight:

Last time I checked, Xbox didn't have any "true exclusives" because they're only console exclusive/on PC.

...but console exclusives on the PS5 are considered "true exclusives"?

Are console exclusives the new exclusives or aren't they?

For all we know, Rise of the Ronin could be on PC gamepass day and date.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Last time I checked, Xbox didn't have any "true exclusives" because they're only console exclusive/on PC.

it could be on PC day one but it won’t be on PC GamePass given what we know about Sony’s marketing agreements

but otherwise your point stands I think, there’s a lot of hypocrisy from people who claim Xbox games are not truly exclusive as long as it comes to PC & that’s why it’s fine when MS buys publishers but oddly enough don’t have the same view when it comes to PlayStation exclusives that also release on PC

I think they’ve moved onto how GamePass allows streaming to your mobile device as to why Xbox’s approach is better and therefore not really taking games from others (but when Sony does it they are stealing games from gamers)

Mainly exclusive games going multi platform. Thus probably wouldn’t be happening without Xbox working on their relations and partnerships with Japanese and/or other Asian studios.
Yeah but it's through the caveat of Microsoft paying for the publisher to put the game onto a service. The end customer isn't the driving factor here, so the publisher still isn't getting direct line to the customer because the service is acting as an abstraction layer.

I mean it's still a bag and if MS is offering a fat bag for Japanese publishers why wouldn't they take it? That said, I'm sure ultimately the publishers would prefer not to leverage Microsoft or GamePass as a financial dependency; being able to establish a revenue stream directly with customers on the platform is always preferable because that allows for more financial independence.

Plus you never know how charitable Microsoft will be in future payouts for that 3P content into the service, let alone other things like if the subscribers are actually playing the game and if so, how far, how invested are they into it etc. all directly correlating to the likelihood they become actual fans and are willing to buy the next installment if in case a service like GamePass isn't one of the optional routes for playing it.

So respect to Microsoft for making these kind of moves but also we have to acknowledge it's very much a double-edged sword.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
They probably did, but I don't think that money was enough to cover that port or the port sold very little or something.

If they got money from MS before to have it on XB, they are likely holding out for that.

I don't see anything to suggest they even need to put it out on XB for it to move huge units, so right now its merely an opinion vs a necessity. So I'm sure they indeed got something, I'm not sure it was enough as you'd likely see a day and date thing like we are seeing from Yakuza Ishin, Yakuza 8 etc. So Square doesn't need to do anything and the game will move record units, its upon MS to pay that port money.

Square knows they have leverage. I'm sure it will come to XB mind you, simply after they get that money to port it as they don't seem to want to go out of their way for this and sound like they want MS to pay upfront for those ports.
have you got any proof it didn't make enough money to cover the port? or just making it up? when you look at what devs have been paid for games on gamepass I would suggest they got more than enough to cover it

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm glad Xbox is actually taking initiative to make it an at least decent place to play Japanese games... but these games are all so old. My thread is proven right once again, unless we get day and date Japanese games on gamepass Japan still isn't showing they care about Xbox.

EDMIX

have you got any proof it didn't make enough money to cover the port? or just making it up? when you look at what devs have been paid for games on gamepass I would suggest they got more than enough to cover it

Thats merely a guess based on that its sequel is not on Series X or XONE and my statement was that it could also have been that it sold very little

but I don't think that money was enough to cover that port or the port sold very little or something.

As in, could be it didn't cover the port OR the port sold very little. Either reason could be why we are not seeing a sequel, as in it could have covered the port, but the extra profit may have not been enough to get Square to keep doing that or something.

They probably just want MS to pay for it. I'm sure they probably did get more then enough to pay for the port, but it may have not been a huge amount.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
10792c623fab3e96b1f7b0a332aed2fd.jpg

<---
"Favorite game of all time" Skies of Arcadia.​
Actively champions for Atelier games (I refuse to hear slander)
Dragons Dogma fanboy (masterworks all you cant go wrong)
Actually bought a Dreamcast.
Phantasy Star Online is the beginning of my obsession with online gaming.​
Ninja Gaiden Black favorite character action game.
Bayonetta actually favorite character action game.
A good portion of Muramasa The Demon Blade gifs on the Internet were literally made by me.​
Uses anime reactions more often than not.​
Lost Odyssey is better Final Fantasy XIII than Final Fantasy XIII(fight me)
9S is a bitch, but i got through that because A2 is worth it.​
Bought a Wii for Xenoblade Chronicles (for pocket change admittedly)

Obviously im faking my love of Japanese games because Xbox is getting some.

For all we know, Rise of the Ronin could be on PC gamepass day one

I actually meant it was a "next gen" exclusive as in only on PS5 not PS4, but the language around that is messy as fuck atm. But yeah the point was MS got a game pass deal, PS got a next gen exclusive deal. One is clearly better than the other.

The exclusivity conversation is confusing as fuck and different for different ppl. For me personally I never include PC into an exclusivity question. I always ask "can I play it on PS or Xbox, or both", I assume PC will have everything and that is more true than ever nowadays. But I admit a LOT of ppl dont see it that way.

Obviously it wont be on gamepass day one because it's a PS5 exclusive.......... (unless you know of other PS5 exclusives that dropped day one on gamepass, sounds like you're talking through your bum.)

cireza

Great showing honestly. Who would have guessed five years back that we would get so many Japanese series on Xbox ?

I recently completed both AI the Somnium Files games, and they were great. Looking forward to more games like these.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Some serious spin about gamepass.

All anyone should care about as a game pass subscriber is what games turn up..and that good consistent games keep arriving. I don't need to know the inside baseball behind every deal...just keep the games coming.

Hope Microsoft keep delivering games like Wo long on gamepass. Amazing get.

Last edited:

reksveks

Some seeiousnspin about gamepass.

All anyone should care about as a game pass subscriber is what games turn up..and that good consistent games keep arriving. I don't need to know the inside baseball behind every deal...just keep the games coming.

Hope Microsoft keep delivering games like Wo long on gamepass. Amazing get.
yeah, as a consumer, you should only be concerned whether you get some good value out of your subscription.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That was already listed in the main post :p
As first Fuga game got added to game pass as well :) (I hope Xbox posts ni no kuni & Fuga on the second drop of game pass for the second half of the month, as people may miss both games otherwise)

I think the "Coming soon" blog post Tuesday should cover both the upcoming and the games released during the TGS window.

It is a hell of a 2nd half for the month after the lackluster first half.

Dolodolo

Overdose of betrayal.

Fc1ca_BXEAE30qf
https://www.famitsu.com/news/202209/17276469.html
--Speaking of Xbox Game Studios, in June you announced a partnership with Hideo Kojima's Kojima Productions.

Phil: Kojima-san and I have known each other for many years. He had some novel ideas about gaming experiences and we wanted to partner with him to bring them to life on our platform. I visited Kojima Productions today and got to see some of the early stages of the project, and I'm very excited.

Early stages. And when will she come out? In five years?

anthony2690

Banned
Sure nobody on Xbox plays these games they just cap cause it's on game pass.

Yes, nobody, I really hate this generalisation tbh.
I am playing Ni No Kuni Remastered right now on game pass, I'll purchase it on sale if it never gets a retail release. (I've finished it on the switch prior) but I'm replaying it now as I really like the game!
I'm beyond excited about Guilty Gear Strive, Blazblue Cross Tag Battle coming to Xbox/game pass too :)
A series I was introduced to on Xbox with guilty gear reload.

& Blazblue I've been playing since Calamity Trigger on the Xbox 360 and was gutted to see it leave the platform.

Not only that my upcoming preorders for japanese titles:
Diofield Chronicles
Persona 5 Royal
Final Fantasy 7 Crises Core Reunion
Tales of Symphonia.

& I plan to preorder the like a dragon games too & the upcoming street fighter 6/Tekken 8!

I really hope game pass introduces more people to these games and hopefully these games gain new fans!

7k0Uv65.jpg

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
Yes, nobody, I really hate this generalisation tbh.
I am playing Ni No Kuni Remastered right now on game pass, I'll purchase it on sale if it never gets a retail release. (I've finished it on the switch prior) but I'm replaying it now as I really like the game!
I'm beyond excited about Guilty Gear Strive, Blazblue Cross Tag Battle coming to Xbox/game pass too :)
A series I was introduced to on Xbox with guilty gear reload.

& Blazblue I've been playing since Calamity Trigger on the Xbox 360 and was gutted to see it leave the platform.

Not only that my upcoming preorders for japanese titles:
Diofield Chronicles
Persona 5 Royal
Final Fantasy 7 Crises Core Reunion
Tales of Symphonia.

& I plan to preorder the like a dragon games too & the upcoming street fighter 6/Tekken 8!

I really hope game pass introduces more people to these games and hopefully these games gain new fans!

7k0Uv65.jpg

You and like what 2 people we all know these games do better on Sony and Nintendo platforms, so take it easy on deciphering what's fact and fiction just stick going back to games like psyconauts, halo infinite, Forza horizon, and whatever Activision game that's out there for that system.

Last edited:

SomeGit

You and like what 2 people we all know these games do better on Sony and Nintendo platforms, so take it easy on deciphering what's fact and fiction just stick going back to games like psyconauts, halo infinite, Forza horizon, and whatever Activision game that's out there for that system.
The amount of salt on this post.

anthony2690

Banned
You're just coming across as a silly console warrior, psychonauts 2 is on Playstation 4 as well, with 60fps on ps5, it's incredible, I highly recommend it too!

& Obviously there is more than three people on Xbox enjoying these Japanese titles, there is a lot of people enjoying these titles, just obviously lower than on switch & playstation.

& Maybe even more with game pass pushing these titles, I'm really hoping arc system works gains a lot of new fans with guilty gear strive on game pass, like sega has with Yakuza on game pass.

I don't think there is anything wrong with more people being able to enjoy games.

Petopia

Banned
You're just coming across as a silly console warrior, psychonauts 2 is on Playstation 4 as well, with 60fps on ps5, it's incredible, I highly recommend it too!

& Obviously there is more than three people on Xbox enjoying these Japanese titles, there is a lot of people enjoying these titles, just obviously lower than on switch & playstation.

& Maybe even more with game pass pushing these titles, I'm really hoping arc system works gains a lot of new fans with guilty gear strive on game pass, like sega has with Yakuza on game pass.

I don't think there is anything wrong with more people being able to enjoy games.
Me too but I have a problem when they cap that shit on Twitter. I also hate all corporate slaves I prefer PC. Don't like Sony ponies, Nintendrones and xbots neither.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Me too but I have a problem when they cap that shit on Twitter.
Why would you care what someone thinks on twitter? I honestly think you twitter console warriors are all absolute losers, regardless of what your platform preference is.

Try enjoying games rather than arguing over silly shit.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
Why would care what someone thinks on twitter? I honestly think you twitter console warriors are all absolute losers, regardless of what your platform preference is.

Try enjoying games rather than arguing over silly shit.
I enjoy I just don't enjoy cap for games you don't play and when father phil delegated to get games for you guys lie Bethesda buy outs and Activision deals.

anthony2690

Banned
I enjoy I just don't enjoy cap for games you don't play and when father phil delegated to get games for you guys lie Bethesda buy outs and Activision deals.
Look, you clearly need help.

I made a thread about Xbox TGS22 overview.

They revealed lots of Japanese games coming to Xbox, some that I am personally very excited for.

You come in here and derail, and then start spouting console warrior crap and going on about twitter caps.

Grow up! It's beyond sad, especially when you realise you're probably an adult.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
Look, you clearly need help.

I made a thread about Xbox TGS22 overview.

They revealed lots of Japanese games coming to Xbox, some that I am personally very excited for.

You come in here and derail, and then start spouting console warrior crap and going on about twitter caps.

Grow up! It's beyond sad, especially when you realise you're probably an adult.
Sure buddy these games have existed in other platform for years making a big deal about it isn't doing much since you like a pathetic platform then that's on you for waiting for so long.

anthony2690

Banned
Sure buddy these games have existed in other platform for years making a big deal about it isn't doing much since you like a pathetic platform then that's on you for waiting for so long.

Yes, I have a preference for Xbox, not that it matters, as I enjoy all platforms and like seeing everything that comes to these platforms.

As mentioned in the past, I downsized, as it's difficult keeping up with one platform let alone three, same with juggling three friends lists (even if the switch one isn't the best due to the fact you can't invite friends on most games sadly) especially with family life, work etc

Playstation:
https://www.truetrophies.com/gamer/anthony2690/gamecollection
I pretty much purchased the ps4 for vanilla ggxrd & sfv back in the day, PS3 for bbcp:ex & the vita I really loved as a platform & I owned a ps5 as I was curious and it was pretty new and exciting, but shifted it after I hadn't turned it on for over 6 months and someone else could've obviously enjoyed it a lot more than me.

Xbox:
https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/anthony2690/games
My only platform now, after downsizing.

Switch: sadly I don't think there is any sites that showcase what I played:
But I made a sales post when I shifted my switch + 27 games & this doesn't include the digital games I had and enjoyed either like grandia, star ocean R, Mushihimesama, Crimsom Clover etc.

I think all platforms are great and have loads to be excited for. :)

Surely the hobby is meant for enjoying and not arguing on twitter over?

Last edited:
Top Bottom