• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thank you, Player One Podcast

mrkgoo

I maintain that the P1P is the best gaming podcast available. Great rapport, and I like every one of the presenters. It's like I have friends! (They don't know I exist though).

C-Jo said:
.... and dislike Ford.

Boooooo.

CO_Andy

Don't see why the watcha been playing segment has to be restricted to current games.

I wanna hear more Sega-CD talk from Stewy.

Blast Processing said:
About the podcast, I also enjoy how behind the times and off in left field their playlists are. Your average listener to gaming podcasts is right there with you. Over a typical year there might be 3 games that I hop on just when they're released, but for the most part I'm off catching up on older stuff, and it's nice to hear about that sometimes, too.

1000% agree, most of us dont by every single new game that comes out. I do like hearing about the new hotness as much as everyone else, but that is what every other podcast does. On P1P, you hear a lot of different angles, and a lot of different tastes of gaming.

stewy

CO_Andy said:
Don't see why the watcha been playing segment has to be restricted to current games.

I wanna hear more Sega-CD talk from Stewy.

And you will! Just gotta get some special content going for our iPhone App and I'll get back into the Sega CD swing :)

john tv

I can count the number of podcasts I download and listen to regularly on one hand. One of those fingers belongs to POP!

Other fingers include 4 Guys 1 Cup, Retronauts, Active Time Babble, and the CAGcast.

Also the Official LOST podcast when they actually do it. :)

T-Matt

I really love the player one podcast. Always an enjoyable listen and Phil always make me laugh. And they talk about games in an entertaining way.
And CJ manages to be a likable apple fanboy.

mik

mik is unbeatable
AstroLad said:
i've actually listened to a few episodes and tbh i wouldn't be surprised if it was serious. people talk shit about ford but you have to feel bad for him going from probably the "manliest" podcast out there (sports anomaly
Yeah, Zuniga and Fitch are real men's men. wtf.

POP is a weird one for me, because I listen to it every week and get a lot of entertainment out of it, but it's never got to the point in my mind where it's one of my favourite shows. I always found it sat in my iTunes, waiting for me to go through Bombcast, RebelFM, 4G1UP, GWJ, Geekbox, etc and then listen to it on the weekend when I have nothing left. The exact same thing has happened this week - I'll probably listen to it Saturday or Sunday evening. :\

Like I said, I love the show, I just don't know why it's like that with me.

I went from love to like. Mostly CJ's doing as well, his idiocy and incessant need to plug everything Adult Swim ever does irks me.

Still a good show.

Hatersgonnahate.gif, etc.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Amazing and commendable consistency, especially when you browse Itunes and find so many podcasts that ended after a handful of shows.

Arucardo

How "strict" is this podcast, I mean how often do they go off topic talking about something completely random? I've started liking podcast that do that, you learn alot more about the people talking than you would if they just kept to giving their opinions and stories on video game related things. Good examples of this were Idle Thumbs and GFW. Giant Bomb is one of the few ongoing ones that tend to do that.

SuperPac

Odious Tea said:
I went from love to like. Mostly CJ's doing as well, his idiocy and incessant need to plug everything Adult Swim ever does irks me.

I will say, I don't necessarily like to do it on the podcast and therefore try to be really over the top and tongue in cheek about it and not spend a ton of time on it. My idiocy, however, is another matter. I fully recognize that I say stupid shit sometimes (or once an episode). :D

Arucardo said:
How "strict" is this podcast, I mean how often do they go off topic talking about something completely random? I've started liking podcast that do that, you learn alot more about the people talking than you would if they just kept to giving their opinions and stories on video game related things. Good examples of this were Idle Thumbs and GFW. Giant Bomb is one of the few ongoing ones that tend to do that.

We go off on tangents a lot actually.

moojito

I'll need to check this out, then. The only podcast I've found to date I can listen to all the way through is the giant bomb one, and it'd be nice to have a few more to look forward to each week.

TheExodu5

Banned
KittyKittyBangBang said:
That is like choosing between your mother and your father

You need to make time for both

So Player One and Bombcast are going to make sweet love and give you a dear baby brother?

eznark

Banned
Like the show and I like Ford, but the two don't seem to go that great together. Pretty much every episode I wonder what game he is playing while everyone else is talking. The occasional "heh" is all that gives him away sometimes. On the Geekbox, however, he was fantastic.

I don't mind the plugs for the Adult Swim games. They generally last about 45 seconds and that's it. Big deal. The Apple ipad talk on the other hand....man. The best part was when one of you said "this will be great for strategy games!" I'd like to know the last strategy game (not tower defense) any of you played.

SuperPac said:
We go off on tangents a lot actually.

I will say I love that...makes the podcast feel genuine. Everyone can tell you guys honestly enjoy doing it. Podcasts on a strict regime seem like they are just doing it because they are forced into them.

Here here! My taste in games is different than the general consensus on P1P, but is still a great listen. As they've said on the show, it's impressive that this podcast they do for free manages to get up every week, while most of the podcasts that are put out by money making enterprises take holidays.

Also, Canadian Greg is so right about NFS: Hot Pursuit 2. What an amazing, awesome game. If only EA could bring the series back to the point to point races and thrilling cop chases!

Barrett2

Did Phil ever sing Indestructible like he long-ago promised? I demand it.

Only bad thing about the show is Sewart's unhealthy affinity for old Rare games.

Odious Tea said:
I actually think that he shills Apple more than Adult Swim.

HI SUPERPAC

Grecco

CJ is awesome. Phil is a jerk because hes never played Chrono Trigger. And they refused to make CT into one of the Game clubs (Joking :p)

Love the podcast been listening to it for a while now.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
lawblob said:
Did Phil ever sing Indestructible like he long-ago promised? I demand it.

Only bad thing about the show is Sewart's unhealthy affinity for old Rare games.
I did. I don't remember when, exactly, but I did.

I do still owe some people a Michael Jackson tribute, though.

Grecco said:
Phil is a jerk because hes never played Chrono Trigger. And they refused to make CT into one of the Game clubs (Joking :p)
My wife played through the game a couple of times to see some of the different endings. Does that count?

It really is a fantastic podcast. I started listening to it over the summer, and look forward to it the most.

Its interesting how podcast have become such a major part of video game culture. Much like how i would love it when i got a new Nintendo Power every month, im as excited to listen to my favorite podcast on my ipod.

mik

mik is unbeatable
"Erasure" reminds me of my favorite Rockbusters clue: Stephen, what did yer dad do?

mrkgoo

Whimsical Phil said:
I did. I don't remember when, exactly, but I did.

I do still owe some people a Michael Jackson tribute, though.

My wife played through the game a couple of times to see some of the different endings. Does that count?

Do you have a twitter? I would like to subscribe to your newsletter (judging from your opinion of online social networks, I'd gather no).

GhaleonQ

Grecco said:
Phil is a jerk because hes never played Chrono Trigger.

Also, Little King's Story. He swears he loves Pikmin, but his refusal has called that into question. If only he wasn't so awesome in every other respect...

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
mrkgoo said:
Do you have a twitter? I would like to subscribe to your newsletter (judging from your opinion of online social networks, I'd gather no).
If I had a Twitter account, I would update it like crazy for the first two days and then never touch it again.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Player One is pretty boss!

Also the return is coming... soon

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Greg Ford is the only weak man in the show. Not sure exactly why he's on the show to be honest. He doesn't contribute much and I don't care about his opinion when he does. His tendency to plug other 1up staff's projects is annoying also. I don't care about bitmob!

Everybody else is top notch. New listeners might need two or three episodes to get used to the pace of the show and everybody's mannerisms, but I love how unabashedly genuine Phil, CJ and Greg are. These days, I skip through most podcasts to get to specific segments I'm interested in, but P1P is always a must-listen from start to finish.

mrkgoo

SnowWolf said:
Greg Ford is the only weak man in the show. Not sure exactly why he's on the show to be honest. He doesn't contribute much and I don't care about his opinion when he does. His tendency to plug other 1up staff's projects is annoying also. I don't care about bitmob!

Everybody else is top notch. New listeners might need two or three episodes to get used to the pace of the show and everybody's mannerisms, but I love how unabashedly genuine Phil, CJ and Greg are. These days, I skip through most podcasts to get to specific segments I'm interested in, but P1P is always a must-listen from start to finish.

Greg ford is a gentleman and a scholar. Plus he has a pleasant voice.

gokieks

POP is fantastic. It was the first audio-only gaming podcast I subscribed to, and it's still my favorite. I don't really share much in the way of gaming taste with CJ, but his buying of games and then not playing them, and the shit the rest of crew gives him, is awesome. Phil's sarcasm (and singing), Sewart's Canadian-ness, and Ford being just a funny guy that I've enjoyed listening to from EGM days (even though his gaming taste is practically the polar opposite of mine).

wondermega

I love the player one podcast. my favorite by far!
Thanks for never missing a beat guys - you keep recording and I will keep listening, deal?

Top Bottom