• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanksgiving: Native Americans Are Being Tear-Gassed in North Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Honest question.

What can we do? This shit makes my blood boil but I feel utterly helpless, particularly since the election is going to just ramp up this behavior. I don't know what to do other than rage into the internet, while they get tear gassed.

Spread the word to people you know, not just online but in the physical world as well, and donate money and items directly to the people engaged in the protests.

There's an article in the OP that lists two different funds, a supply list, and contact info for political officials. There are other funds out there as well, like the medical fund for Sophia Wilansky, the woman whose arm was obliterated by a concussion grenade last Sunday night.

Yup I'm extremely unhappy about this. I've been against the way we celebrate Thanksgiving for a long time now. Then there's Christopher fucking Columbus day too.

It's not right.

Honest question.

What can we do? This shit makes my blood boil but I feel utterly helpless, particularly since the election is going to just ramp up this behavior. I don't know what to do other than rage into the internet, while they get tear gassed.

Donate if you have any money to spare. Go join if you have time/limbs to give. Call your congressmen and senators. Raise awareness. That's it really.

This is the real reason the democrats lost the election. We have this going on and they're doing jack shit despite having two more months of government. The democrats say they speak for us, the people. They say they represent the every man and our interests, but when shit hits the fan they are nowhere to be seen.

Drain that swamp.

Establishment democrats need to get out immediately.

Even if they did something at this point the Trump administration could just overturn it.

If you want to cause some discomfort in your network of friends and acquaintances, do what I just did:

Take your favorite picture of police brutality against the water protectors, upload it to FB and slap on a "Happy Thanksgiving" sticker.

kEoVQ5em.jpg

*Right clicks and saves*

Garlador

Honest question.

If I knew the answer, I'd be out there doing it :(

Do what you can.

Call a representative or senator. Their contact info is public.

Donate to their cause. There are links in this thread.

If you can be there in person, it helps, but there are other ways to help.

Share the story on social media. Tell your friends and co-workers. Spread the info. Share the pictures and stories.

You do what you can.

Do what you can.

Call a representative or senator. Their contact info is public.

Donate to their cause. There are links in this thread.

If you can be there in person, it helps, but there are other ways to help.

Share the story on social media. Tell your friends and co-workers. Spread the info. Share the pictures and stories.

You do what you can.

Done and done. Going through the list, already donated, signed petition and I'm going to call my rep. Will see if there's a way to donate supplies as well here.

Great coverage by the mainstream media, if this was happening in a country that is considered a US enemy it would be all over the news 24/7 with the neo-cons calling to invade said country.

qcf x2

If you want to cause some discomfort in your network of friends and acquaintances, do what I just did:

Take your favorite picture of police brutality against the water protectors, upload it to FB and slap on a "Happy Thanksgiving" sticker.

kEoVQ5em.jpg

I can just see the assholes in that pic screaming "GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY"

AaronB

I watched 2 channels' nightly news - a whole lot about the annual presidential turkey pardon; none about these protests.

FyreWulff

I don't understand why this doesn't get more media coverage. Even if you remove the moral imperative of exposing this abhorrent situation, it's still a dramatic, "exciting" story that would surely get the networks tons of viewers.

The media doesn't give a shit about natives. See also: they completely ignored the situation in Whiteclay. They stood by silently as reservations went from ecompassing the entire western half of South Dakota to little carved off mini-counties. etc. No elected official campaigns on native relations.

Honest question.

All we gotta do is stand up but we won't. I hate that the government which is nothing without citizens fucks over the very people they're there to serve.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I don't understand why this doesn't get more media coverage. Even if you remove the moral imperative of exposing this abhorrent situation, it's still a dramatic, "exciting" story that would surely get the networks tons of viewers.

People don't care about social injustice unless it directly affects them or their "group" (ethnic / gender / religion). Native Americans are bottom of the tier list

Ponn

Banned
All we gotta do is stand up but we won't. I hate that the government which is nothing without citizens fucks over the very people they're there to serve.

The U.S. Government was never put into place to serve Native Americans.

People don't care about social injustice unless it directly affects them

There is a good reason why Native Americans are usually left out of the "minority olympics" debate. If you wonder what a minority group looks like without ANY allies look no further.

~Kinggi~

Banned
i've never experienced such a rapid 180 of feeling 'ok' to just downright awful. Its gone to shit so so fast. Amazing how much the symbol of president means.

Not

Banned
i've never experienced such a rapid 180 of feeling 'ok' to just downright awful. Its gone to shit so so fast. Amazing how much the symbol of president means.

I hope we keep that in mind in the next election.

Unless Trump appoints his son as his successor or something.

Media

The media doesn't give a shit about natives. See also: they completely ignored the situation in Whiteclay. They stood by silently as reservations went from ecompassing the entire western half of South Dakota to little carved off mini-counties. etc. No elected official campaigns on native relations.

Oakflat is completely ignored too, and McCain literally sold protected native landmarks to an Australian mining company.

People don't care about social injustice unless it directly affects them or their "group" (ethnic / gender / religion). Native Americans are bottom of the tier list

We just don't have the numbers, and most of us never leave the rez. So 99.9 percent of America doesn't even know a single Native. Hell, I doubt most have seen a Native, or if they did assume they are Hispanic or Muslim (I know), both of which I've been mistaken for.

Madness

500+ years of white people brutalizing first nations on their own land who only want to maintain their environment and way of life while they want to pillage the destroy the natural world. The ancestors of these people must be watching that even after all this time it is the same thing.

Media

500+ years of white people brutalizing first nations on their own land who only want to maintain their environment and way of life while they want to pillage the destroy the natural world. The ancestors of these people must be watching that even after all this time it is the same thing.

Our ancestors are always watching. That's why the Buffalo came.

kEoVQ5em.jpg

got any bigger sizes? Gonna share that along with the donation link

edit: also I'm pretty uninformed about the pipeline itself, can someone summarize the negatives of it preferably with citations? thanks y'all

Media

I shared the Happy Thanksgiving picture and one of my elderly relatives posted as a comment:
"You guys have a Happy Thanksgiving too! Love yall!"

Awkward.

got any bigger sizes? Gonna share that along with the donation link

edit: also I'm pretty uninformed about the pipeline itself, can someone summarize the negatives of it preferably with citations? thanks y'all

I didn't want to post the bigger one and clog up the page, but you can go to imgur and get a bigger one if you want. I just posted the image to give you guys an idea of what I was suggesting.

Just pick any image of brutality, upload it to FB and slap one of their ready-made Thanksgiving stickers onto it. It is super easy.

For the very lazy :p ...

I didn't want to post the bigger one and clog up the page, but you can go to imgur and get a bigger one if you want. I just posted the image to give you guys an idea of what I was suggesting.

Just pick any image of brutality, upload it to FB and slap one of their ready-made Thanksgiving stickers onto it. It is super easy.

For the very lazy :p ...

thanks, I am the very lazy

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How do you figure the mainstream media isn't covering this story? NYT just today did an interactive explaining the pipeline. More an overview than a coverage of the violence but this isn't there first story on it. WaPo covered the use of water hoses in subzero weather a couple days ago. NPR, Newshour, AP, The Guardian have all run stories in the last week.
This has been going on for a while now. You used to be able to only get good coverage earlier from TYT or Democracy Now.

Honest question.

Donate, spread awareness, write your politicians, write to the media, or go there and join the protest.

kEoVQ5em.jpg

I'll be posting this. Thanks!

I rarely use Facebook anymore, but I checked out my feed yesterday and was pretty proud to see some people sharing info about this (including my dad and stepmom <3)

If you wanna help but are unable to donate and don't feel like calling the White House and/or your Congresspeople, then you can email Obama, Biden, and/or Michelle: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
It's super easy and quick to do.

-Mikey-

A lot of great posts lately on charities and different organizations to donate to and read up on. Wish it didn't take these past two weeks for me to pitch in and do what I can.

bremon

Donated to the gofundme. I feel like I'm not helping much but hopefully it can keep some people warm, or fed, or some first aid treatment. I see Canada isn't alone in its mistreatment of aboriginal territories. The pictures are really hard to stomach, my heart goes out to those people.

Burglekutt

Lets not be a hive mind here guys. First off like most major projects there is a system for people with concerns to voice them to the planning committee. According to an interview by one of the people of this committee the tribe was informed well in advance and never voiced any complaints until well after the construction process was well under way.

Second, again from the various NPR reports ive listened to as well from other sources, a large portion of these protesters are not specifically against pipelines or this particular pipeline they are just against oil period.

Third what is law enforcement supposed to do? there is a group of very aggressive mob of protesters that are at the very least trespassing and not complying with lawful orders to stand down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom