• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanksgiving: Native Americans Are Being Tear-Gassed in North Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not be a hive mind here guys. First off like most major projects there is a system for people with concerns to voice them to the planning committee. According to an interview by one of the people of this committee the tribe was informed well in advance and never voiced any complaints until well after the construction process was well under way.

Second, again from the various NPR reports ive listened to as well from other sources, a large portion of these protesters are not specifically against pipelines or this particular pipeline they are just against oil period.

Third what is law enforcement supposed to do? there is a group of very aggressive mob of protesters that are at the very least trespassing and not complying with lawful orders to stand down?

Not throwing concussive grenades at civilians would be a nice first step.

Media

Lets not be a hive mind here guys. First off like most major projects there is a system for people with concerns to voice them to the planning committee. According to an interview by one of the people of this committee the tribe was informed well in advance and never voiced any complaints until well after the construction process was well under way.

Second, again from the various NPR reports ive listened to as well from other sources, a large portion of these protesters are not specifically against pipelines or this particular pipeline they are just against oil period.

Third what is law enforcement supposed to do? there is a group of very aggressive mob of protesters that are at the very least trespassing and not complying with lawful orders to stand down?

First, you don't know what your talking about. Aggressive? Really? Have you seen literally any of the videos of protectors being attacked?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Native Americans just can't catch a break

EDIT: Really it's just another day/month/year/century in the United States of AmeriKKKa.

Burglekutt

First, you don't know what your talking about. Aggressive? Really? Have you seen literally any of the videos of protectors being attacked?

First, I do know what im talking about and I stand behind my statements
Second I'm not here saying the police are perfect but there appears to be a complete "i believe everything the protesters say completely without question mentality here, which is disturbing

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
First, I do know what im talking about and I stand behind my statements
Second I'm not here saying the police are perfect but there appears to be a complete "i believe everything the protesters say completely without question mentality here, which is disturbing

Police openly killing minorities and covering it up to prevent justice lost them the benefit of the doubt.

Burglekutt

Police openly killing minorities and covering it up to prevent justice lost them the benefit of the doubt.

North Dakota police or just police in general? Are we lumping them all together? Do we blame rural forces along with urban forces? Is every cop a bad cop? how far does this go? Or maybe we should let the facts decide for which in this case it is still inconclusive.

Pretty sure I read they threw concussive grenades just that they weren't responsible for that woman's arm nearly being blown off and blamed IEDs instead they have no real proof off.
Did you even read the link to the news site I provided? I mean cmon dude there is literally no one that claims that public radio is in the tank for the right

Lost so much respect from Obama. This makes me so disgusted and the media are still not talking about this! I wish there's something we can actually do to help them. Thank you Bernie for being the only politician to talk about this evil deed.

Brakke

Banned
Did you even read the link to the news site I provided? I mean cmon dude there is literally no one that claims that public radio is in the tank for the right

The NPR story doesn't appear to have made any attempt to investigate the veracity of the police claim that it was an IED. They're just reporting the police line on this.

Media

The authorities said they never threw concussive grenades and that the protesters were setting off explosives.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...nding-rock-protest-might-lose-arm-family-says

The police also said the were only spraying the water to put out fires and never at protestors, which all the video and pictures allow us to call total bullshit on. I am also not believing the protestors 100% but taking into account video and photos and friends and family members that are actually fucking there.

To me, it's seem like you are taking at 100% the oil company and police statements, which have been proven to be total lies in the past.

Lost so much respect from Obama. This makes me so disgusted and the media are still not talking about this! I wish there's something we can actually do to help them. Thank you Bernie for being the only politician to talk about this evil deed.

I see a lot of Clinton/BLM influencers on Twitter throwing shade at Bernie every chance they get, picking apart everything he says to try to make him appear as if he doesn't get racial issues and doesn't care about minorities. Sure, maybe he's not as informed and educated as he should be, but yet he's still the only one between him, Obama, and Clinton to come out forcefully and vocally in support of Native Americans on this issue. Hell, even if you don't care about the people, this pipeline is an ecological disaster waiting to happen.

How much louder do we have to speak to put Obama on notice? Do we need to organize a march on D.C.?

Burglekutt

The police also said the were only spraying the water to put out fires and never at protestors, which all the video and pictures allow us to call total bullshit on. I am also not believing the protestors 100% but taking into account video and photos and friends and family members that are actually fucking there.

To me, it's seem like you are taking at 100% the oil company and police statements, which have been proven to be total lies in the past.

I saw videos too. Protesters that outnumbered security by a wide margin yelling, tearing down fences, trespassing, running up and getting in the security guards faces. im not pro police, they have a lot of issues they need to address. Im anti mob and that was absolutely a mob. Plus pepper spray stings like shit but is totally ok in my book to use on trespassing people.

Ploid 3.0

Do no mess with corporations, they can hack your police to turn on you. They are the like the beta of the AI threat. Civilians are meat for their grinder.

Media

I saw videos too. Protesters that outnumbered security by a wide margin yelling, tearing down fences, trespassing, running up and getting in the security guards faces. im not pro police, they have a lot of issues they need to address. Im anti mob and that was absolutely a mob. Plus pepper spray stings like shit but is totally ok in my book to use on trespassing people.

They aren't trespassing, it's treaty land.

It's obvious you are only getting one side of this story.

Burglekutt

Do no mess with corporations, they can hack your police to turn on you. They are the like the beta of the AI threat. Civilians are meat for their grinder.

the pipeline is not on their land. its above stream. and you only addressed one of the points.

Media

I know what you mean by this question, but think a minute on what you just asked here. When was Native American land taken from them?

Even so, the land was 'given' to the Sioux by a treaty. Another treaty was passed later, but it didn't nullify the first.

In the Black Hills they just straight up ignored the treaty and took it back. Much as they are doing here.

Basically, a lot of treaty land was later protected for use by natives by becoming federally protected land. Little did we know that meant the government could sell it out from under us at any time. Like Oak Flat.

Also keep in mind a lot these treaties were strong armed or straight up fraudulently obtained by just grabbing a random native, declaring him a leader, and forcing him to sign.

Burglekutt

when was it taken? honest question. i dont know the awnser.

I dont think its ok
im sensing a little hostility in your posts
This goes back to one of my first post. Its on federal land. The committee that planned the route contacted the tribe and gave them ample time to study the proposed route and voice any thoughts or concerns. None were given.

Media

I dont think its ok
This goes back to one of my first post. Its on federal land. The committee that planned the route contacted the tribe and gave them ample time to study the proposed route and voice any thoughts or concerns. None were given.

Because they are always ignored. And again, that federal land us actually treaty land.

And yes, I'm a little upset. I'm Navajo, not Souix, but these are still my people. And everyone is ignoring or handwriting it or defending it when everyone will freak the fuck out over smaller things. It's exhausting.

Chuckie

Because they are always ignored. And again, that federal land us actually treaty land.

And yes, I'm a little upset. I'm Navajo, not Souix, but these are still my people. And everyone is ignoring or handwriting it or defending it when everyone will freak the fuck out over smaller things. It's exhausting.

The way Natives are always ignored and often considered like almost non existent breaks my heart to be honest.

I've shared couple of articles on this on FB, but I guess it doesn't make a real difference considering me (and therefor most of my friends/family) are in the Netherlands.

I am going to donate a bit though. It is the least I can do.

I dont think its ok

It's on illegally taken land, but sure, whatever makes you sleep better at night. And as for that "ample time" bit, the natives filed a plea stating that the land had sacred artifacts. As soon as the construction company saw that they sent out bulldozers. By the time the state archaeologist showed up there was no trace. Ample time for the tribe to be steamrolled, that's all.

Burglekutt

so treaty land is owned by the feds but is suposed to respect the native american people that live their?

At least these stories are picking up steam on Neogaf. It was very disappointing how most of the stories have just vanished.

I urge people who can make threads to start more new threads on the BS surrounding this situation. In a way, it's better than seeing more publicity for Trump.

Media

so treaty land is owned by the feds but is suposed to respect the native american people that live their?

It works like this, in general:

Land long ago is given to tribe via a treaty.
When something of interest is later discovered on that land, another treaty is strong armed into place, not nullifing the original treaty but granting the Fed access to the land.
National Parks become a thing, and people that care get treaty land designated 'protected'. The natives still use it, and now (the theory was) no one can strip mine it.

Years later, some corporation wants to do some bullshit on the land. Strong arming happens again and the previously protected land is sold to the company or allowed to be used by the fed.

Natives get pissed about it, and people tell us 'Shut up, it's not your land.'

Sundays attack was prompted by the protectors removing burnt out cars the cops had piled up to block a bridge. Which, by the way, was one of the only ways to get to and from the rez.

Nikodemos

When something of interest is later discovered on that land, another treaty is strong armed into place, not nullifing the original treaty but granting the Fed access to the land.
National Parks become a thing, and people that care get treaty land designated 'protected'. The natives still use it, and now (the theory was) no one can strip mine it.

Years later, some corporation wants to do some bullshit on the land. Strong arming happens again and the previously protected land is sold to the company or allowed to be used by the fed.

Natives get pissed about it, and people tell us 'Shut up, it's not your land.
Ah, yes, the good old fashioned salami slice.

Thanksgiving should be cancelled in support of shit like this. Instead I'm sure it's just being drowned out on the constant 'Look what Trump said this time' news.

This has to fucking stop. Absolutely disgusting example of police brutality and a continous lack of respect and understanding for the natives. The silence coming from the white house is shameful, and Im praying that this gets more exposure so that more can intervene. I will do my part as well. This situation cannot be downplayed or silenced.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

this is how to deal with it
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/science/hawaii-thirty-meter-telescope-mauna-kea.html

not tear gas, and brute force. Albeit, a pipeline is less empathizing then a telescope, but that also highlights the terms.

I'll see if I can donate. This is disgusting. And then people ignorantly want to celebrate Thanksgiving without the politics or that it's just some politically correct agenda instead of a real issue happening right now many centuries later.

Dalibor68

Banned
What does the "Thanksgiving" in the thread title mean? If the state uses force against resistance then it's not just gonna stop because there's a holiday.

Jackpot

Banned
The authorities said they never threw concussive grenades and that the protesters were setting off explosives.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...nding-rock-protest-might-lose-arm-family-says

A punctured 1lb propane tank can not explode. It's called lying.

You didn't answer his point. Police claimed they used water cannons to in sub-zero temperatures to "put out fires". Videos show no fires and the cannon targeting protesters. How is that not police brutality?

What does the "Thanksgiving" in the thread title mean? If the state uses force against resistance then it's not just gonna stop because there's a holiday.

It's highlighting the irony.
A punctured 1lb propane tank can not explode. It's called lying.

yup otherwise this would be displayed on the tank
DMNE_Warnschild_W002_3002_M.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom