• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanksgiving: Native Americans Are Being Tear-Gassed in North Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalibor68

Banned
you have a problem people throwing shade at a bullshit situation?

In the article in the OP it says force was used to keep protesters off a barricated bridge one mile south of the pipeline construction site. So what exactly does talking about Thanksgiving do here? Do you think the police will just say "Heh fuck it, it's Thanksgiving, let's just let them through now"? All this does it trying to rile up people even more by throwing in something factually completely irrelevant to appeal to even more emotion.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
These people are incredibly brave to do what they believe in against these odds. Fuck the police for using brutal means to make them go away.

Jackpot

Banned
In the article in the OP it says force was used to keep protesters off a barricated bridge one mile south of the pipeline construction site. So what exactly does talking about Thanksgiving do here? Do you think the police will just say "Heh fuck it, it's Thanksgiving, let's just let them through now"? All this does it trying to rile up people even more by throwing in something factually completely irrelevant to appeal to even more emotion.

Brutalising Native Americans on Thanksgiving is poignant, not irrelevant.

The comparison of today's events that are being ignored with past events that are widely accepted as being wrong helps highlight how equally wrong the present day events are, whilst reminding us how little has changed. I would say that's important.

Dalibor68

Banned
Brutalising Native Americans on Thanksgiving is poignant, not irrelevant.

The comparison of today's events that are being ignored with past events that are widely accepted as being wrong helps highlight how equally wrong the present day events are, whilst reminding us how little has changed. I would say that's important.

Weren't those past events... a bit more brutal tho (than using tear gas)?
Still I don't see what people are expecting here in regards to it being Thanksgiving - you have to be incredibly naive to believe the police will just stand down and let them pass because it's a holiday.

Still I don't see what people are expecting here in regards to it being Thanksgiving - you have to be incredibly naive to believe the police will just stand down and let them pass because it's a holiday.
Christmas_Truce_1914.png

Chuckie

People aren't expecting anything. The thread title is just pointing out the irony of the situation.

Dalibor68

Banned
Dalibor68, you are missing the forest for the trees.

The article also states:

The government seems to have at least recognized the problem, temporarily suspending construction in Standing Rock. Last week, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it needed more time to decide whether to build on Sioux land.

So I guess things are not quite set in stone yet, at least.

North Dakota police or just police in general? Are we lumping them all together? Do we blame rural forces along with urban forces? Is every cop a bad cop? how far does this go? Or maybe we should let the facts decide for which in this case it is still inconclusive.

Did you even read the link to the news site I provided? I mean cmon dude there is literally no one that claims that public radio is in the tank for the right
If you trying to say there's a difference between police forces see the lapd and nypd.

The point isn't the cops should take a day off.. We know and acknowledge that we stole this land from Natives and it was b.s... Jump to 2016, oh wow nothing has changed.

And to your more "brutal" comment.. These people who own this fucking land are getting blasted with cold water in freezing temps.. A girl had her arm basically blown off from the cops "less than lethal concussion grenade".. But yeah also dogs, tear gas and etc.. Still sounds pretty brutal to me.

Soldiers on enemy sides stopped shooting each other on Christmas in World War 1. Hell, they even played a game of soccer. Can't remember the battle. So crazy shit has happened before. Just hoping some bit of humanity comes through. Though it probably won't.

BBboy20

...are you that "cold" of a human being?

Nephilim

Banned
I'm going to be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow with my family and all I'll be thinking about is how much I wish I could be up there right now helping these people fight against one of the grossest examples of police brutality in recent memory. If I had more money I'd have bought a plane ticket today.

Innocent blacks havent been getting killed?

Dalibor68

Banned
Soldiers on enemy sides stopped shooting each other on Christmas in World War 1. Hell, they even played a game of soccer. Can't remember the battle. So crazy shit has happened before. Just hoping some bit of humanity comes through. Though it probably won't.

Again, maybe I read it wrong, but in the article it states force was used when protestors tried to move onto the barricaded bridge. That's different than two opposite factions entrenched and immobilized coming out to play soccer in the middle.

I've turned into a broken record in these threads by now but it bears repeating: This has gone on for months, there is no "Hmm.." about this being a bad situation all around, disregard the blatant shills and calls for calm, and REMEMBER that this was a thing that happened/is happening with ample approval from up top in particular on Obama's hands---don't give them the satisfaction of the dodgy short and long term memory that allows for this sort of thing to be easily taken for granted and levied against yet more innocent people time and again.

I guess maybe there's some hope in the coverage uptick across various places given instead of outright ignoring it there are a growing number of folks stepping up unbidden* to play devil's advocate...

NimbusD

I saw videos too. Protesters that outnumbered security by a wide margin yelling, tearing down fences, trespassing, running up and getting in the security guards faces. im not pro police, they have a lot of issues they need to address. Im anti mob and that was absolutely a mob. Plus pepper spray stings like shit but is totally ok in my book to use on trespassing people.
You think that's how it started?

I've also seen videos of protesters just walking an holding hands and being sprayed. It's been escalating and placing that ok the protestors is fucked up.

Its not a case of this situation is worse than this situation. Its barbaric what they are doing to people at this protest just like its bad what happens to innocent blacks.

The way america has treated the native americans is just disgraceful and the amount of whitewashing of it all so its a hear no evil see no evil situation makes this so bad. It doesn't make the killing of innocent blacks any less poignant either

Since I've stopped observing Thanksgiving I have been mulling over the ethical ramifications of accepting the holiday bonus I get for working today. At first I thought about turning it down but I don't even know how do to that since it just gets auto-deposited into my account and they'd probably just laugh if I called and said "hey, pay me less". So instead I've decided to take my extra earnings for working today and donate it to the causes in the OP.

I think you missed "one of". This is in no way a competition, to boot. Black people at least have enough cultural power and population to make some semblance of noise about our oppression. Natives endure every single thing we do but without even that modicum of influence.

Since moving from Chicago to Albuquerque and getting a job that requires me to work closely with Apache on their reservations I've had my eyes opened even wider on how unrepentant this country continues to be in its dealings with this demographic. It's absolutely disgusting, and going to get even worse with the incoming office.

Chuckie

Since I've stopped observing Thanksgiving I have been mulling over the ethical ramifications of accepting the holiday bonus I get for working today. At first I thought about turning it down but I don't even know how do to that since it just gets auto-deposited into my account and they'd probably just laugh if I called and said "hey, pay me less". So instead I've decided to take my extra earnings for working today and donate it to the causes in the OP.

This is great.

That's why when I here this patriotic Americans say, "our country" I roll my damn eyes because it isn't your damn country. It's fucking Native land.

Imm0rt4l

I think you missed "one of". This is in no way a competition, to boot. Black people at least have enough cultural power and population to make some semblance of noise about our oppression. Natives endure every single thing we do but without even that modicum of influence.

Since moving from Chicago to Albuquerque and getting a job that requires me to work closely with Apache on their reservations I've had my eyes opened even wider on how unrepentant this country continues to be in its dealings with this demographic. It's absolutely disgusting, and going to get even worse with the incoming office.
Out of sight and out of mind

Nephilim

Banned

No, I saw the one of. While this is bad I just cant see someone saying its "one of" when innocent people are getting KILLED.

And im not trying to say whats worst (oppression is oppression) but the actions on the oppressed can be said whats worse.

Media

The article also states:

So I guess things are not quite set in stone yet, at least.

The problem is that constraction has continued despite that order, and the government has done nothing. Not said a word. According to the people on the ground, it looks like they are trying to bulldoze as many archeological and cultural sites as possible before that review happens.

CrunchyB

From Instagram
berniesanders said:
From the first day that settlers came to this country the Native American people have been lied to, they have been cheated and negotiated treaties have been broken. We are saying it is time for a new approach to the Native American people not to run a pipeline through their land.

LegendX48

I saw a little bit about this earlier (on facebook if that matters >.>). What in the world is going on here? There's a treaty being violated and large groups of people besides the Sioux (ie state senators and such) saying that this pipeline is an awful idea but they're doing it anyway? The hell?

Media

One of my family members there just told me that planes have been flying over dumping something foul smelling on the camp. They are passing out dust masks right now. :/

I have no pictures or video of this yet, so calling it unconfirmed right now, but I trust her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom