• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanksgiving: Native Americans Are Being Tear-Gassed in North Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

she lost, because she wasn't pure enough for you.

How's her loss my fault when Im not even american? If I was, I vould have voted for her, while holding my nose, but still vote for her. I don't like her, I disagree with her on a lot of things, Im a social democrat, so Im much more left than even Bernie, but I would still vote for her.

Maybe I want her to go over there, speak to the native americans, hold a speech, say NO to the pipeline?

Sen. Al Franken has spoken and is against: https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=3573
Jill Stein was even charged for protesting: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/da...ein-charged-n-dakota-pipeline-protest-n644326
Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Ben Cardin (D-Md.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) signed a letter against it with Bernie: http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsr...o-halt-construction-of-dakota-access-pipeline
Tulsi Gabbard will join the protest: https://usuncut.com/resistance/veterans-plan-protest-support-standing-rock/
Al Gore supports the protesters: http://www.commondreams.org/news/20...esse-jackson-support-dakota-access-protesters

Kyuur

Question to those more familiar with the situation from someone from another country: Are the protestors breaking the law? Who has the right to the land being developed on?

Media

Yeah let's make this thread about Hillary. That's totally going to help, guys.

When Stien joined the protesters people were jumping through hoops to call it a non issue just because she spoke out against it. It's infuriating. Some are doing the same because Bernie is so passionate about it.

Media

Question to those more familiar with the situation from someone from another country: Are the protestors breaking the law? Who has the right to the land being developed on?

Legally, it's federal land because of a broken treaty. Technically, it belongs to the Sioux because of that treaty. Morally, the Sioux should have all authority over it.

A lot of the protest clashes have occurred on tribal land, federal land, and private property. Two ranchers were even arrested for showing up in support of the protest for tresspassing...on their own land.

If I remember correctly it's less about land ownership and more about the threat of damaging the resources to a Native reservation. Besides that the lack of empathy for and force being used against the protesters is absolutely appalling. Attack dogs should not have been used. Concussions should not have been used. Drenching people in below freezing weather should not be used. It's completely inhumane how they've treated the protesters.

Davilmar

I have heard a lot of my friends talk about Obama's inaction on this tragedy. What can the President legally so in this situation?

I have heard a lot of my friends talk about Obama's inaction on this tragedy. What can the President legally so in this situation?

At the very least acknowledge it and show some compassion for the protesters while advocating for a peaceful understanding to be sought and condemn the violence used against them.

Tansut

If you want to cause some discomfort in your network of friends and acquaintances, do what I just did:

Take your favorite picture of police brutality against the water protectors, upload it to FB and slap on a "Happy Thanksgiving" sticker.

kEoVQ5em.jpg
Thanks for the idea! I uploaded one like this with a link to the GoFundMe page and made my own donation.

I don't understand why this doesn't get more media coverage. Even if you remove the moral imperative of exposing this abhorrent situation, it's still a dramatic, "exciting" story that would surely get the networks tons of viewers.

It's happening in an area nobody cares about, to people nobody cares about, and people like Obama area apparently too complicit to want to bring it up to the media.

Also there's not really any destruction of property so they can't even really "riot."

Just sad all around.

I convinced my mother who voted Trump to donate to standingrock.org. Probably only did it because she's part native, but I'll take it.

Yeah let's make this thread about Hillary. That's totally going to help, guys.

One of Hillary's campaign promise was to protect the lands of the native American. Before she even lost the election, her statement regarding this was resolve it yourselves.

It's true that this is about the Native Americans, and not about Hillary, but to say she has no hand in this is wrong. Fucking Obama has a hand in this shit, too.

I put that Happy Thanksgiving pic on my FB and somebody liked it because they think it's like the cops are saying Happy Thanksgiving and it's funny

Boney

Banned
I put that Happy Thanksgiving pic on my FB and somebody liked it because they think it's like the cops are saying Happy Thanksgiving and it's funny
This is the perfect example of how depressing completely turns around into funny again.

How is it that Shailene Woodley streaming from her phone gives this more attention than mainstream news networks.
Because money. Same reason why Bernie got covered less than Little Marco

guek

Banned
This story isn't even popular on gaf of all places, goddamn

On the bright side, I saw some protestors on a bridge today while driving out of Spokane. That was a nice sight. I'm trying to spread the word and tell anyone that will listen but the political fatigue around the Thanksgiving table was real. Everyone in my family is too exhausted worrying about the Trump's America to care about this.

Establishment Democrats only care about minorities when they need their votes. The election is over.
Sadly true and the truth honesty hurts.

Hoping for a resolution for this pipeline that favors the Native Americans. I hope Trump has a heart and not go through this, but we all know what he's going to do. I also hoping Bernie energizes his voters and help bring even more awareness to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom