• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the 2011 videogame anagram photoshop thread

spekkeh

Banned
Extremely LTTP, but
mehmoditretro2.jpg

F'ing mind BLOWN

GamerSciz

It's not cheating at all. As Jarosh said for the longer titles you will need the help of an anagram solver to help you some of the way. And half the fun is the photoshop itself.

I'm using this angram server:

http://wordsmith.org/anagram

FYI I tried using that too but it seems to limit you to only 35 letters. I tried Ratchet Clank Future Tools of Destruction and it was upset because it was too long. The thing I have there has no limit as it was hand programmed. Not by me...

jarosh

FYI I tried using that too but it seems to limit you to only 35 letters. I tried Ratchet Clank Future Tools of Destruction and it was upset because it was too long. The thing I have there has no limit as it was hand programmed. Not by me...
you will NEVER get anything good out of a title that long, no matter the generator. if at all, you'd have to process it first, split it into chunks or isolate shorter anagrams manually and then go step by step. or consider only doing the subtitle.

DangerStepp

well, it's always different. EARF was just something that popped into my mind when i looked at FEAR. no anagram generator will give you that obviously.

if you want something really unique or funny or something that's a comment on the game in question, you usually have to mess with anagram generators for hours (did that with skyrim and zelda). you have to cherry pick and isolate words that sound interesting and generate new anagrams and isolate more words and try to make sense of the gibberish you get by re-arranging everything and running leftovers through the generator again. you always have to have a plan b and it's worth it to work with words and phrases that can be slightly altered (adding "s" or "a" or "the" etc.) when you get stuck. especially when you work with long titles. but most of the time the perfect anagram doesn't work because of a single letter that doesn't go anywhere.

you should always keep short filler words in mind but more importantly those special words that no anagram generator will give you and then force them, stuff like "meh" or "lol" or names in general etc. (that's how i came up with the "meh, mod it retro" one, although that was almost completely done by hand, because "mod" and "meh" and i think even "retro" are not part of a generator's vocabulary.)

sometimes you just get lucky with a short title, the generator will spit out only a handful of results and one of them will be gold. bioshock = sick hobo was one of those. really, i still think the simplest ones are usually the best ones ;)
Thanks! I'll try to put this knowledge to work for me.

GamerSciz

Hopefully this hasn't been done already

Would have done MW3, but they abbreviated Modern Warfare

MrNOW.jpg

Haha now that is clever. I came up with the anagram for Modern Warfare which was "Colorful Farmyard Wanted" but had no idea how I wanted to do the box cover. With your photoshop skills you should try something.

I came up with the anagram for Modern Warfare which was "Colorful Farmyard Wanted" but had no idea how I wanted to do the box cover

yeah... thats a tough one, but I'll give it a shot when I get a chance

If what I throw together doesn't come out as complete crap I'll post it :)

Haha now that is clever. I came up with the anagram for Modern Warfare which was "Colorful Farmyard Wanted" but had no idea how I wanted to do the box cover. With your photoshop skills you should try something.

I had one for SMT: Persona, although it's not very good:

I'm Apeshit Megane Nose ("megane" is japanese for glasses.)

I'm even learning how to use Photoshop.

Vally

Oh god, that Faithdog lol

Now do it in reverse. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West has enough letters to spell out Heavenly Sword; if I wasn't so tired, I'd come up with an anagram myself :)

I thought about that but there's no R letter in the Enslaved title :p

mclem

I have no talent, but a couple of great anagrams; one silly, one satirical. Could anyone see one or more of these ideas through?

UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception -
TOP 3 DANCERCISE THREAD NUKED

And taking some liberties with both spelling and the nature of anagrams (
Get the M by rotating the 3
):

UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception -
ND MAKE ANUTHER SCRIPTED CODE

Labadal

I have two that I think might be funny, but I am no photoshopper.

Final Fantasy - Anal Ants Iffy
Deus Ex - Due Sex: Man Ur The Luv Lion

jarosh

If you don't mind me asking for a few tips...do you recreate each letter individually?

here's what i did: i removed the original title completely and then re-did the background gradient with several layered gradients and some cloning. then i re-created the text with similar fonts and effects. the emboss, gradient, inner stroke and shadow on the main title are pretty much 1:1 how they were in the original. was surprised how close i got on this one actually. not always the case. the subtitle had a subtler emboss and a similar gradient, wasn't hard to re-create either. to the left and right of the subtitle i added the two white 3 pixel lines and added motion blur, pretty straightforward. for comparison: http://s3.amazonaws.com/pikimal-images/datas/430299.best/full/Saints-Row-The-Third-Box-Art1.jpg

^Edit: Beaten by the man himself. But yeah sometimes you basically have to recreate the entire boxart so it'll be much easier for you to manipulate with. This is why the retro games are a bitch to do because you can rarely find the artwork in seperate files.
If you don't mind me asking for a few tips...do you recreate each letter individually?
I'm not jarosh, but I think we work pretty much in the same way, except he's got a better program and skills :p

But no, you find the font that was used for the game and apply filters and effects until you have the desired design.

I always end up with a dozen new fonts because of these threads.

For some shops it's easier to rearrange the letters:

arkham city

In this one I wouldn't bother to add the bloodtrail effect myself (font is just Times New Roman), so the easiest method is to cut out each letter individually and then correct the hue, brightness and whatnot.

What program are you using btw jarosh?

I'm still stuck with Photoshop Elements 2.0 (yeah.. I know...), it's better than nothing, but I often feel the limitation of the software.

GamerSciz

What program are you using btw jarosh?

I'm still stuck with Photoshop Elements 2.0 (yeah.. I know...), it's better than nothing, but I often feel the limitation of the software.

My guess is he is using Photoshop CS5 or even CS5.5. The difference between elements and regular photoshop is fairly vast past the basics. There are a lot more advanced features within the full version of Photoshop.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm

Top Bottom