• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2015 |OT| Nissan enter the fray

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
Radio Le Mans is a god send.

It has played a massive role in making endurance racing accessible to so many and a large reason why the theme of the sport is very pro social media and interaction IMHO. Compare it to sports like f1 who refuse to admit viewers exist and have valid opinions and it's easy to see why endurance is becoming more popular.

On the other hand rlm is quite cliché heavy and needs to realise that they don't need to keep advertising the sport to people who are already listening.

Regarding Hola you might want to read this, I would recommend using another VPN service. Unblock-Us seems to support the Eurosport Player, and they have a 7 day free trial so if it's just for watching Le Mans you don't need to pay anything.

Wow. Thanks for the head's up. I'll probably use it anyways. Now that they've been exposed I'd like to think they're no longer doing this. I'll only be using it for the race and booking flights here and there anyways.

Amazing how small and low the lmp1 cars are, I've never seen one in person but they look tiny.

They do play tricks on your eyes because their proportions are all out of whack. But there's a trick I use that corrects it in my head: Just look at them and remind yourself that the body is only sitting about 2 inches off the ground. I think that's where it messes you up because your brain thinks they're just as high off the ground as your own car. After you remind yourself about that they all look like their proper size.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There is just one major question. How many LMP1 cars will be taken out by reckless Ferrari 458 drivers :D

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

dalin80

Banned
There is just one major question. How many LMP1 cars will be taken out by reckless Ferrari 458 drivers :D

Considering 458 poor driving is now such a feature of sports car racing that it has had it's own drinking game going for several years the chances are high. Very high.

I've got my own nickname for them! I call them "Red Shells"

120px-RedShellGalaxy.jpg

It's the AF Corsa Ferrari's. It's ALWAYS the AF Corsa Ferrari's. That is the will of it.

EDIT:

Considering 458 poor driving is now such a feature of sports car racing that it has had it's own drinking game going for several years the chances are high. Very high.

There aren't a lot of Le Mans fans here in the US but I had one friend who was a car guy and would come watch a few hours with me before he moved. I invented a drinking game called "Snatch Tractor" after I found out that's what they call those pieces of heavy equipment that extract cars from the gravel pits.

20140531-extraction-pilote_m.jpg

Whenever a snatch tractor arrives on the scene you yell "snatch tractor!" and take a shot. I think I just wanted to get piss drunk. And I like saying snatch tractor.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, I don't think Honda would combine WEC with F1 either. However, it would be interesting for them to have space to develop their hybrid system for their LMP and let that trickle down to the F1 engine.

Or are they really that different?

It has played a massive role in making endurance racing accessible to so many and a large reason why the theme of the sport is very pro social media and interaction IMHO. Compare it to sports like f1 who refuse to admit viewers exist and have valid opinions and it's easy to see why endurance is becoming more popular.

On the other hand rlm is quite cliché heavy and needs to realise that they don't need to keep advertising the sport to people who are already listening.

Still, it works. And considering that SPEED is dead in the US, and I doubt either Sportsnet or TSN is going to show it in Canada, it's going to be my main source for news alongside Twitter.

How do you guys watch the race?

Over here in the US I usually have a muted video feed of Eurosport running, mixed with the audio from RadioLeMans and the leaderboard from the official site. Sometimes, like in the Peugeot years I'd have the official team coverage running in a smaller window.

Oh, and if your response includes something along the lines of "I watch the race with my own two eyes" ....

thats-a-paddlin-30027-300x200.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
How do you guys watch the race?

Over here in the US I usually have a muted video feed of Eurosport running, mixed with the audio from RadioLeMans and the leaderboard from the official site. Sometimes, like in the Peugeot years I'd have the official team coverage running in a smaller window.

Oh, and if your response includes something along the lines of "I watch the race with my own two eyes" ....

thats-a-paddlin-30027-300x200.jpg
Eurosport coverage with Radio Le Mans commentary when watching from home.

Radio Le Mans, the various big screens and either the Sommer or Lagache grandstands when attending. Never T34 which in the summer heat is hellish.

dalin80

Banned
Toyota say that they have carried out some tweaks to make up the 4s gap that was seen in the first tests so will be interesting to see if that's worked out for them. The WEC is looking a two horse race at the moment.

Spookie

Anyone else watching practice today? It's dead in the office today and I'm watching Eurosport. God bless working for an ISP!

dalin80

Banned
Stuck at work :(

May get home in time to catch a bit, have already told friends and family that if they disturb me this weekend I will stab them in the eye.

Just have to do my nibbles shop now!

So is this Eurosport online subscription thing worth having? Seems cheap enough.

I heard someone say something about no adverts during the race. Is that this?

As it's TT weekend i'll have Eurosport on TV with Radio Le Mans or Isle of Man Radio depending on which i'm more interested in at the time. My Autosport Housemate is away this weekend so it will just be me sat in the living room with games on the Wii U gamepad and the TV/Radio on all weekend.

I love it when we had a full 3 days of autosport one year when the MotoGP, an Endurance race, Touring Cars & Superbikes all ran on the same weekend. Honestly it was 72 hours of constant engine noise from our house. Glorious!

I'm on the lookout for other options too but Eurosport and radio seem my best bet.

So is this Eurosport online subscription thing worth having? Seems cheap enough.

I heard someone say something about no adverts during the race. Is that this?

Dunno about Eurosport Player, but Eurosport 1 and 2 have adverts (pointless adverts in Eurosport 2 as I type this).

dalin80

Banned
Ugh, get home in time to watch barrier repair, this is going to be red flagged for a while yet. Barrier repair is something that needs serious revising it happens constantly and takes hours every time.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Autosport confirming that Nissan energy 2MJ isn't working so they being forced to carry around all the KERS gear.

20 seconds off, hard to guess which is KERS deficit or car.

dalin80

Banned
And a 458 is already trying to reignite my alcoholism.

If nothing else the Nissans will make for an interesting race, silly fast down the straights and then hounded by LMP2's around the corners.

markao

There is a new thread, that explains the quietness in the old one :p

Great OP, will read more in between the breaks and the weather for the upcoming days might make this year even more exiting. And I should start a drinking game for every time they mention Nissan.

i just bought Eurosportplayer for 6.99€.

It has Eurosport 1 and 2 (has commentaries and ads) and a live feed without commentaries with no ads.

Yeah thought about buying Eurosport player, but Eurosport 2 will only have 1 hour out of the 24, so it's not worth it for those with Eurosport.

Hope it's not raining for qualifying, want to see a proper battle.

Juicy Bob

I still don't think it matters what Nissan do this year. They won't win, they're gimped without the recovery system working and so this is just a test session ahead of next year.

It sounds like the first qualifying session tonight will be our best chance to see what the P1s can really do in terms of lap time before weather becomes a factor in the later sessions. 3:15 seems overly optimistic to me, but the 908's record of 3:18 and change should be within reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom