• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) JP |OT| Hot Chick + Guns + Shower Scene = mmmmm

duckroll

faridmon said:
Haha, you already have that 3rd Birthday avatar. Man I feel bad for ya.

well, at least now, I know I can get this for discounted price after 2 month of woting for one. Thakns Duckroll.

Wait, I thought you said the last time that you generally disagree with everything I say regarding RPGs, and you usually feel the complete opposite way. Or is that somehow only some shitty argument you use when my opinion happens to disagree with yours, while you're happy to take my word for it if you want to agree with it? You see like a guy with pretty flimsy standards!

faridmon

duckroll said:
Wait, I thought you said the last time that you generally disagree with everything I say regarding RPGs, and you usually feel the complete opposite way. Or is that somehow only some shitty argument you use when my opinion happens to disagree with yours, while you're happy to take my word for it if you want to agree with it? You see like a guy with pretty flimsy standards!
well I wouldn't know Untill I play this game, will I? and to add to the fact: this is isn't an RPG and I do know what I am going to get when the famous SE trio is involved in a game, so I wouldn't take that comment into considaration.

generally speaking: our taste is generally opposite, yes, but there must be an exception or tow, right? btw, I am enjoying the hell out of 4 warriours of light.

Wait, I hope you are not offended by what I said?

faridmon

duckroll said:
Tabata is very offended. I hear he's starting a lawsuit against you!
Well, if he has the money for that, maybe he can pay me a compensations for playing through his tortures that he created that was Crisis Core.

Or maybe, simply, he could could start using that money in actually creating something good. SE is nothing with him and the other two people (Toriyama and Kitase) who can't make any games anymore. I want my SE with soul and love back :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Duckroll didn't answer my question! Should I kill myself for not having a good Parasite Eve game in ten years or not!?

Oh, fuck it. I'll do it anyway! Good bye cruel world!

*slits wrists and sprays blood all over monitor, goes limp*

BUT WHO IS POSTING!? *DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNN*

I was so hyped for this, so if it really isn't that good, I'm going to be disappointed. :(

MechaX

duckroll said:
No one else talking about the game so I might as well post my semi-final impressions.

I finished the game in about 11 hours. There are 6 episodes in total, and it's about a general length for a short action game. I liked the boss fights a lot, and the game in general is fun. It's more of a Japanese action game than a real full fledged shooter, and the camera does get in the way sometimes. The game is most certainly not a RPG. There's really nothing RPG about it. Definitely a pure action game which happens to have RPG-like elements in the mechanics.

I started a NG+ on Hard, and basically everything in the game carries over. You level, your DNA Boards, your weapons, all your BP, etc. In fact, the first time through the game, there are no costumes at all. The only equipment available will be the black leather and the white jacket. When you beat the game you get costumes unlocked depending on the difficulty you beat, and you can get more outfits by interacting with stuff in the HQ area between missions. You can also get a costume from the S-E Members thing.

For those getting it in English, you might want to consider a rental instead, because honestly the game is short enough to beat in 2 days, and I don't really know what long term play value a PSP shooter would have. It's also not a RPG, and the story sucks donkey balls. The ending is so stupid that I don't even want to think about the plot in the game at all. This is also not a Parasite Eve game. It's just some wacky stupid S-E action shooter which happens to star Aya Brea.

Production values are great, action is fun, bosses are great, there are some pretty nice set pieces in the stages, and the music is amazing. I'm going to try and unlock as many outfits as I can, and probably try and score all the achievements to get my money's worth out of the game. But, coming from the expectation of them actually delivering a half-decent Parasite Eve experience, I would say the game completely disappoints. It's like watching a new movie being made of some TV series I used to love, except the new director/writers fuck it all up. Kinda like Mission Impossible. :/

Well.. It may not have been the Parasite Eve game I've always wanted, but at least it looks like it'll be a pretty good (although criminally short all things considered) third person shooter.

I want to ask more specifics on the story, but something is telling me that I probably really don't want to know.

anaron said:
OMG at this game's story :lol This is even worse than XIII's and it just had to be slapped onto a Parasite Eve game. :(

Unpossible, man.

duckroll

faridmon said:
Well, if he has the money for that, maybe he can pay me a compensations for playing through his tortures that he created that was Crisis Core.

Or maybe, simply, he could could start using that money in actually creating something good. SE is nothing with him and the other two people (Toriyama and Kitase) who can't make any games anymore. I want my SE with soul and love back :(

Tabata has made better games than most other people in S-E in the last few years. His games are also very popular, and sell pretty well. You're in the minority for hating on him, since every single one of his games so far has outsold the criminally generic and boring 4WoL. :p

anaron

OMG at this game's story :lol This is even worse than XIII's and it just had to be slapped onto a Parasite Eve game. :(

faridmon

Actually Europe is getting Special edition of this game this march, can't wait for that :D

source: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2010/833.html

duckroll said:
Tabata has made better games than most other people in S-E in the last few years. His games are also very popular, and sell pretty well. You're in the minority for hating on him, since every single one of his games so far has outsold the criminally generic and boring 4WoL. :p
Well thats tell more about the people in the world we live in. People wants some pretty flashy things and Tabat and Co delivered that, even if it's fake and is doesn't go beyond that.

and 4WOL is not boring. I love it :/

Sinople

Another "new era" Square game I'm skipping. Thank you for making me save money :lol

Spiegel said:
Is Toriyama the only one inside of S-E who can write a story or what?

No, because even him can't write. No one's left :(
With all the criticism coming from both Japan and the west, maybe they will realize they should hire a real writer.

Spiegel

duckroll said:
11 Hexadrive programmers credited under Hexadrive (3rd Party Contractor). The actual S-E staff listing is much larger is comparable to Crisis Core. I have no idea what any of them were doing for 3 years. This is the sort of game you knock out in 10-15 months of development. Taking years for this is ridiculous.

Yes, it makes no sense. I'm worried about Agito XIII now.

Astery said:
Finished the game. OMG
Aya is not Aya. No wonder the CV style on her doesn't quite fit her age since I heard it.
Yep the story still doesn't make sense, but the game is quite fun in general.

What the fuck?

The Aya in the game is not the real Aya? :lol

Sinople said:
No, because even him can't write. No one's left :(
With all the criticism coming from both Japan and the west, maybe they will realize they should hire a real writer.

It is obvious that Toriyama can't write a good story, that's why I was wondering if he's the only one who is allowed to write stories or something because this situation is pretty sad.

MechaX

Spiegel said:
What the fuck?

The Aya in the game is not the real Aya? :lol

I went ahead and spoiled myself and read the translation of the ending. Not like it matters since I still have just as many questions as when I entered.
So when we're talking about "Eve", we're talking about her little creepy clone from Parasite Eve 2, right?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Acosta said:
Wow, that's... devastating, really?

I dunno. I need to play more. I just think the basic combat and level design is so boring right now. And you feel totally disconnected from Aya. Like I think the entire premise is just retarded. Overdive is an interesting concept maybe, but it totally doesn't work for me.

then I read the story spoilers, and I know why I don't feel like I'm aya. because i'm not

I don't even like the art on Aya. She looks OBVIOUSLY like Maaya Sakamoto and nothing like her PE1 renders (okay, that's fair enough since it was fucking ancient CG) or even her Nomura drawings. None of her outfits look right at all for the character we played in PE1 and 2.

This isn't a Parasite Eve game. While my opinions are my opinions and you might like the shooting and the combat and everything, this is not an opinion.

The music is fantastic and the graphics are great (though the game slows down a LOT at times).

I don't like shooters with autolock on. I just never have and never will.

Toriyama's games all have a very distinct tone/feel to them and I don't really like it. I told duck I wanted Toriyama fired the other day and he disagreed, but then he beat this turd (Turd Birthday) and then he agreed :lol

Oyashiro

Why is everyone so disappointed with the fact that the game is only around 10 hrs long? I mean, did you really expect more? That seems to be the average length of games nowadays.

Spiegel

Oyashiro said:
Why is everyone so disappointed with the fact that the game is only around 10 hrs long? I mean, did you really expect more? That seems to be the average length of games nowadays.

Well, it's a game announced in 2007 (summer 2008 for the psp version).
It shouldn't take two and a half years or more to make an 11-hours-long handheld shooter.

Oyashiro

Spiegel said:
Well, it's a game announced in 2007 (summer 2008 for the psp version).
It shouldn't take two and a half years or more to make an 11-hours-long handheld shooter.
The fact that it's a handheld shooter already gave me the impression that it was gonna be 8-10 hours.

Foffy

Banned
So...who's exciting to see Aya back?! I for one am not, considering some of the responses here.

I hope they pull a Dirge of Cerberus for the US version and add more meat to the package. It made Dirge less of a nightmare to play in English.

Y2Kev

Also Aya's clothes vaporizing is not only degrading for a solid female character, but stupid.

Foffy

Banned
brandonh83 said:

Oh goddamnit. This is what happens when I get barely any sleep and wake up with Goku hair.

The damage has been done I guess, so I'll just keep my head down now. :lol

anaron

Y2Kev said:
Also Aya's clothes vaporizing is not only degrading for a solid female character, but stupid.
Especially so when their excuse for it is realism when it's executed completely illogically. She's in various soldier bodies! :lol

At least I have the good sense to play action games where the heroine is already practically naked as opposed to having to take a couple rockets in the face before her clothes go to pieces.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm late to the party but I just started playing this tonight. Really digging the game so far. The gameplay systems feel pretty fresh and fun and the music is killer. Nice visuals too.

Is there any control option that lets you center the camera with a click of a button? That's my only complaint so far.

TheSeks

PepsimanVsJoe said:
At least I have the good sense to play action games where the heroine is already practically naked as opposed to having to take a couple rockets in the face before her clothes go to pieces.

It's always been a stupid mechanic since it was announced years ago.

The time traveling I could let slide. All I wanted was more Brea with good gameplay. If that's passable, I'm happy. But I am disappointed that the story is apparently shit and the gameplay isn't good (in Duckroll's opinion). Shortness isn't an issue with me as it's a handheld game and really the first two (well #2 anyway) were nearly equal in shortness on a "console release."

PE1 was ~25-40 hours unless you round hardcore to level 99.
PE2 was about ~6-12 hours?

25 to 40 hours from PE1? What is that...19 to 34 hours in the Chrysler Building? :lol
I'd probably have killed myself before playing the game for that long. Hell I didn't even beat it because it has the worst final sequence in the history of videogames.

TheSeks

PepsimanVsJoe said:
25 to 40 hours from PE1? What is that...19 to 34 hours in the Chrysler Building? :lol

Yeah, or level grinding thinking the game wasn't possible to beat at 25 surely. I was stupid back then.

Kaldea

Considering the hype that the shower scene has been getting, I expected a little more than something reminiscent of a slower body wash commercial with more cleavage. :lol But I honestly have no idea what I expected.

But yeah, I don't know which I find more offensive now. The obvious attempt at marketing Aya's body over anything else in the game (I don't understand for the life of me how a character's attractiveness could possibly be "one of the most important elements" of a shooter) or this not being "Parasite Eve" in the loosest sense.

I'll probably end up trying this anyway since I normally just see for myself in these kinds of situations.

B.K.

I was never able to make it all the way through Parasite Eve 2 no matter how many times I tried. Can someone write up a quick summary of its story?

Got this off the japanese PSN and I feel really mixed about. As much as I want it to be good, it really isn't. Seriously, I want my money back :(.

Flipyap

anaron said:
Well in any case, this game's shower scene has certainly made two's look classy. So much for tastefulness. :lol
I don't think watching boobs should be making me angry, but here we are. Thanks, The 3rd Birthday, you Christmas miracle, you.

I miss the time when Parasite Eve was cool, not awful and/or embarrassing. BACK IN MY DAY...

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with duck on this one. Besides Toriyama's inane babeling with the narrative. The game is fantastic, really love the game/gunplay. But it's not really a parasite eve game :lol That said, just beat the first boss I think? Very neat boss battle.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This might sound weird, but why does Aya look so asian? That seems like a totally unnecessary character shift. I mean, no beef with asian characters, but if Mario was randomly Latino I'd be similarly confused.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Is there any control option that lets you center the camera with a click of a button? That's my only complaint so far.

Yes. I'm playing with Shooter Type controls, and L button is both lock-on (if you hold it), and camera center if you tap it.

TheSeks said:
The time traveling I could let slide. All I wanted was more Brea with good gameplay. If that's passable, I'm happy. But I am disappointed that the story is apparently shit and the gameplay isn't good (in Duckroll's opinion). Shortness isn't an issue with me as it's a handheld game and really the first two (well #2 anyway) were nearly equal in shortness on a "console release."

PE1 was ~25-40 hours unless you round hardcore to level 99.
PE2 was about ~6-12 hours?

Please do not put words in my mouth. Where have I ever said that the gameplay isn't good? Why am I still playing it on Hard mode even now, if the gameplay isn't good? I said it wasn't an RPG, that it was short to complete, and that it is not a Parasite Eve game. None of those elements indicate it is not a good game.

Stumpokapow said:
This might sound weird, but why does Aya look so asian? That seems like a totally unnecessary character shift. I mean, no beef with asian characters, but if Mario was randomly Latino I'd be similarly confused.

Aya is half-Japanese. I'm no expect in this matter (and honestly I don't think the developers really gave too much thought to this) but isn't it pretty normal for people of mixed ethnicity to exhibit stronger physical elements of one race over another as they age over the years?

The real reason is probably because Square Visual Works is has made huge improvements in character modeling and animation over the years, and since most of what they reference and animate over the years have been distinctly Japanese in look, it carries over to everything they do.

It just doesn't strike me as particularly unusual in this case. Physically she looks more or less like Aya. Story-wise and performance wise (Maaya Sakamoto) it's a whole other story. :/

farnham

Banned
saw a guy playing this on the subway today

i wanted to buy it after seeing it but since its comming to europe and zavvi will slash the price to 17 pounds instantly i will wait.

Y2Kev

The further I play, the more things I kind of see happening and I think I am beginning to like the game more. The gameplay is more varied and there are more enemy patterns. The graphics continue to be really impressive and the music is excellent.

Pooya

I read the story yesterday and yeah it's horrible, just wanted to say that
looks like if you beat the game again (second time), you get an extended ending... 4th Birthday...

duckroll

I enjoyed the gameplay the first time through the game, and thought a lot of the mechanics were pretty well developed. But man, the gameplay REALLY shines in replays. Even with the Fast Regeneration and Free Crossfire cheats turned on, and everything from the first playthrough carrying over to a new game, Hard mode is still pretty challenging, which is impressive.

The challenge is definitely balanced and designed in a skill based manner where you can't really progress blindly even if you're experienced and have good equipment, a solid DNA Board, and have a high level. For people who can't really handle the challenge, Easy Mode is the option. It's impressive that the harder difficulty levels in the game actually mean something. I've had to actually consider more carefully what weapon load-outs to use for certain encounters in Hard, because being unprepared can be a real bitch for certain fights. Tactics that worked in Normal don't work as well here, and it really pays to consider what the best way to do something is.

The costumes also really add a lot of replay value for me. I'm actually kinda glad that they only unlock in replays now, instead of being something available as you play the first time through. While the game would still be pretty damn fun with in replays even if there were no costumes, having a bunch of costumes to switch around when you go through missions again makes it even more visually interesting. I also think Maaya put in more effort in sounding interesting for a few unique lines each costume has, as opposed to her performance in the normal game itself. Maybe she knew the script was shit and couldn't be assed about the story too. :lol

I spent like an hour today using up ALL my DNA Chips to mix and match a bunch of new skills for my 3 DNA Boards so far. It feels good to have all the chips used up (the limit is 30 on hand), and also to have 3 boards filled with a nice variety of skills now. It's really interesting how the game is getting more addictive after beating it. If S-E does make a sequel for this on HD consoles, I really wish they ditch all the character drama aspects of the story completely, and just make more action packed set piece FMVs to link the stages. Players would probably appreciate it more, and it'll make for great trailer eye candy.

Top Bottom