• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) JP |OT| Hot Chick + Guns + Shower Scene = mmmmm

duckroll

Goddamn. I knew there was a catch to turning on the Cheat Codes in the game. Your rank/score/achievements don't count at all. It doesn't even rank the individual parts of the scoring, and just gives you a default D rank. Even that doesn't who up as a result when you check Case Training. :lol

And here I thought I was going to be able to get the shower scene by making the game even easier. Time to retry! >_<

Hag

Started today, right now in Episode 2. Gameplay is sooo good and very nice soundtrack too. Aya <3

Also, in the beginning of Ep 2
is that PE 1 battle theme playing when you encounter the first enemies, right?
So gud :D

I didn't liked PE 2 but 3rd Birthday is so fucking smooth to play that you can't even hate.

duckroll

YES! I did a trial run of Episode 1 Case Training with Cheat Codes turned of on Easy mode, got the achievements I needed, even ended up with a B rank. Shower scene!!!!! :lol

I'm going to put this save file in a safe place, since the shower scene doesn't seem to get added to the Video Log. Mmmm Aya.

maskrider

Still unable to get through the last boss in EP1 (in normal), got it to half green and died, ha ha ha ! Have to get used to the small screen with action games.

Epcott

*Reads ending at Gamefaqs*

Ha ha, that ending is a mess, wtf is going on there?

With PE, there's the optional Chrysler Bldg and true ending. WIth PE2, the ending scenes change depending on what you do in the game... but is this ending so cut and dry?

Is there a "special mission" or alternate ending?

I mean, really...
In PE2 Eve is Aya's daughter, now in 3rBD Aya is really a part of Eve? WTF How does that even work?

duckroll

maskrider said:
Still unable to get through the last boss in EP1 (in normal), got it to half green and died, ha ha ha ! Have to get used to the small screen with action games.

One piece of advice I can give is that when the boss flips around and exposes the spikey parts of the body, it can be damaged regularly. When this happens, I suggest you just use all your grenades on it since it's the end of the mission. On normal 2 grenades should be enough to trigger an Overdive Kill, and doing that twice (4 grenades + 2 OD Kills) should be enough to kill the boss without putting you too much at risk.

maskrider

duckroll said:
One piece of advice I can give is that when the boss flips around and exposes the spikey parts of the body, it can be damaged regularly. When this happens, I suggest you just use all your grenades on it since it's the end of the mission. On normal 2 grenades should be enough to trigger an Overdive Kill, and doing that twice (4 grenades + 2 OD Kills) should be enough to kill the boss without putting you too much at risk.

Oh, I don't use grenades much and I still have a lot of grenades. Ha ha ! Thanks.

edit: With grenades, it is such an easy task !!!

duckroll

The conditions for the Lightning Custom costume unlock for S-E Members has finally been revealed. Starting from 1st Jan 2011, everyone who has 7 Extra Stamps and have cleared the game in any mode at least once, will be able to unlock the costume along with the Blaze Edge special weapon after syncing with the site. :D

Can't wait to pretend I'm playing FFXIII-2 this weekend. ^_^

duckroll

Paracelsus said:
duckroll: would you still suggest a rental to the ones waiting for the english release?

Do you care about the plot? Do you like action games? I guess my point is basically that if you're interested in the game because a) you like Parasite Eve, b) you like RPGs, and those are the main reasons you're interested in this game, then giving it a rental first might be a good idea because the game is neither a RPG, nor is it very much a Parasite Eve game. Plus the story really blows.

Oh the other hand, if the idea of a fun action shooter with solid mechanics which happens to feature a terrible fan fiction story based on the Parasite Eve universe sounds like it might be worth full price, then by all means go ahead. The game is definitely very fun, and I'm still playing it. It's just probably not what most people would expect given the long development time and the way it has been marketed at various points over the last year or so.

Yasae

Banned
At the very least, there probably won't be much of a wait between releases.

I just want S-E to put out (as in develop, not publish) some decent games again. They were at their best when they didn't pander.

duckroll

No one loves mai waifu, and she had to be whored out onto the streets. She didn't even chart in the top 5 for the launch week, debuting at #6. Outsold by fucking Wii Party. Good job guys, hope you enjoy never seeing Aya Brea ever again!!!!

Laguna

Banned
duckroll said:
No one loves mai waifu, and she had to be whored out onto the streets. She didn't even chart in the top 5 for the launch week, debuting at #6. Outsold by fucking Wii Party. Good job guys, hope you enjoy never seeing Aya Brea ever again!!!!

I read your review, so I passed... sorry (fake?) Aya.

xero273

duckroll said:

should have bought multiple copies of the game. now your waifu is going to leave you.

duckroll said:

Positive: shower scene included
Negative: resulting higher Cero rating affects sales

?

maskrider

Got my 5th extra stamp because of 5 times of access to the members' site and got "barrier".

Have been playing really slowly and I am only at Ep 3-1. Finally get used to the controls. This can be considered the first action game that I have spent more than an hour on PSP (9 hours on the save file), other are puzzle games (Sudoku, Bomberman, ...) or SRPGs (like Valkyria Chronicles II).

I think my physical copies of 3rd birthday OST and UMD will not arrive until 8/Jan because of EMS's suspension of Asia shipments until 6/Jan.

Should be able to get Lightning's stuffs with the coming Extra stamps and a cleared normal game.

edit: The EMS packages arrived, all of a sudden.

duckroll

Ughhh.... Episode 5 on Hard is really kinda ridiculous. I'm going to try finding the best combinations of weapons to actually beat the first chapter here, but failing which I'm just going to turn Cheat Codes back on. Boy I can't wait to unlock Deadly to see how much harder this game can get. -_-

maskrider

duckroll said:
Ughhh.... Episode 5 on Hard is really kinda ridiculous. I'm going to try finding the best combinations of weapons to actually beat the first chapter here, but failing which I'm just going to turn Cheat Codes back on. Boy I can't wait to unlock Deadly to see how much harder this game can get. -_-

I might try hard, but the levels above hard might be just too crazy. I will try it if I can play it on dual shock.

And finally got 10 stamps, 2 stamps on the number of friends with the help of the people at GameFAQs, and 2 stamps from the OST and UMD game. A couple of stamps to go and am about to finish the last episode of normal.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:

NO! THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE! *clutching to wind turbine engine*

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Positive: shower scene included
Negative: resulting higher Cero rating affects sales

?

Possible. But could be:

Positive: New Parasite Eve game in 10 years.
Negative: Isn't anything like the the two previous games and... 10 years. IP fatigue.

duckroll

The Lightning costume is pretty good. It's certainly a pretty accurate translation of the character. I had to grind 30,000 BP to buy Blaze Edge too. It's kinda interesting as a novelty weapon, but I dunno if it's actually good. It's like an automatic shotgun without much of a recoil and faster reloading. It makes a laser sound effect and has a different blast effect though, so it does feel pretty special in terms of being a "real" Blaze Edge.

I think once I complete Hard mode I might be done with the game for quite a while. Almost clocked 30 hours so far, I think it's time to move on to other games. :lol

anaron

duckroll said:
If this game is indicative of the series from now on I'm quite content with that actually.

look what Japan-age Santa just brought me...
8SHAvl.jpg

1NvGIl.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
Can't be echoed enough. Story is really just some inane BS. If it wasn't for everything else in this game being so awesome, I would have dropped it a long time ago. That said, I'm only one stamp away from lightning outfit. Well that and I need to clear it once :lol Still waiting on more friend confirmations. Duck I added you! Add me! :D

duckroll

kiryogi said:
Can't be echoed enough. Story is really just some inane BS. If it wasn't for everything else in this game being so awesome, I would have dropped it a long time ago. That said, I'm only one stamp away from lightning outfit. Well that and I need to clear it once :lol Still waiting on more friend confirmations. Duck I added you! Add me! :D

Added. A good way to get all the friend stamps quickly is to check the diary entries of other players, many of them are public posts requesting people to add them. That's how I got my 15 Friends stamp. :lol

well, just went through the first episode and yes, I spoiled it for myself through the thread, but the consensus is right, the story is not that great, but in my personal opinion, this is the most atheistically pleasing PSP game I have played in 5 years...

the action sequences go well, the mechanics are awesome (overdrive, etc...)
and it looks great going through the motions...

all in all, this is a good game and might have been hyped a little too much, but I believe will do well to warrant a sequel and hope it does.

it's a nicely polished Square Enix outing...

duckroll

Jigsaw said:
is the story even greater nonsense than the complete global saturation bs in resi 5?

I can't say I remember much of the plot in RE5 at all. I don't even really pay attention to the background story in RE games.

kiryogi

Banned
Jigsaw said:
is the story even greater nonsense than the complete global saturation bs in resi 5?
I didn't mind that. In general it felt like typical RE cheese whatever. I mean hell, that's Wesker for you. I could see that in his character. But 3rd Birthday is just a whole nother level of nonsense. I wouldn't even say it's not great. It's just downright awful. I know Toriyama tries to invoke sadness, but the thing he's invoking for me here is anger.

News Bot

Banned
Jigsaw said:

At least that is somewhat plausible, just executed a little poorly.

Nothing in The 3rd Birthday is plausible. Not one thing. *and* executed poorly.

RedSwirl

Man, being able to read an entire hype-to-release cycle in eight pages is pretty convenient.

How well does the game actually control as a shooter? Not that I'll probably be able to buy it anyway. I stopped buying UMDs when they started releasing PSP games day-and-date digitally and I can't think of a way I'd be able to play the first two.

duckroll

Almost at the end of Ep5 Hard. Blaze Edge is a lot better a weapon that I thought. The main advantage is not in the damage it does, but how fast it can trigger an Overdive Kill on some enemies. Lightning is a really good outfit too. High defense, and looks pretty cool. It still hasn't been destroyed enough for me to see the l'Cie mark yet. ^^;

duckroll

Beat Hard mode, then immediately ran through the game on Easy again with the Lightning costume to unlock the View mode for it. On Easy the game can be beaten in under 2 hours with no retries and not much real effort, which makes for good stressless fun right after beating the game on Hard. I'm pretty happy with the amount of stuff I've unlocked so far, and replaying the game on Hard really highlighted certain gameplay mechanics and encounter design elements which I didn't notice before. Overall, the game is definitely very well designed. Too bad the plot is retarded.

Clocked about a total of 32 hours. I think it's time to retire the game for now.

maskrider

duckroll said:
Beat Hard mode, then immediately ran through the game on Easy again with the Lightning costume to unlock the View mode for it. On Easy the game can be beaten in under 2 hours with no retries and not much real effort, which makes for good stressless fun right after beating the game on Hard. I'm pretty happy with the amount of stuff I've unlocked so far, and replaying the game on Hard really highlighted certain gameplay mechanics and encounter design elements which I didn't notice before. Overall, the game is definitely very well designed. Too bad the plot is retarded.

Clocked about a total of 32 hours. I think it's time to retire the game for now.

I have just read that the condition for the shower scene to appear in the video list is beating the game 50 times (regardless of difficulty), not sure if it is really true. If so, it is a test of your patience and your otaku-ness.

I expected something like Bandai-Namco's lazy unlock codes to come as DLC later on.

duckroll

maskrider said:
I have just read that the condition for the shower scene to appear in the video list is beating the game 50 times (regardless of difficulty), not sure if it is really true. If so, it is a test of your patience and your otaku-ness.

I expected something like Bandai-Namco's lazy unlock codes to come as DLC later on.

Who cares? I have not one but TWO saves made before I viewed the Shower Scene at various points of time. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:

I shall be watching your waifu taking showers on yootoobz (unless Squeenix blocks it).

Flek

Banned
iam sorry guys i bet it has been asked before but please help me out:

on all the screens the japanese version seems to be completely in english!? Is this true? So how easy is it to play this baby if you can´t understand one word japanese?

Top Bottom