• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the ANNO 1404 (DAWN OF DISCOVERY) |OT|

Effect

Are you limited to only being able to place certain resource structures on certain islands (does the PC version have just islands?) in the PC version of the game?

Seems in the Wii version part of why you expand to various locations is due to only being able to grow certain resources in certain areas. Things could be going fine on one island but in order to advance your people you need Herbs so you have to unlock another location first in order to grow them so your people have access to them. This is done by unlocking different achievements and buying treasure maps (then finding said treasure and racing back before it can be stolen).

There is no active sea trading between your outpost though. It's clear it has to take place in order for people on another island to have access to them though. Wish they would at least show some ships in the harbors/warehouses that appear to be doing that. Maybe in a sequel they could add more details like that if there is one.

I can't wait to be done with the story mode (though I do find it charming for the lack of a better word. That seems to be the best way I can describe it.) so I won't be limit about when I can do certain things.

For those into the "continuous mode" on the Wii game how large is the world you can explore and unlock?

Can you play as the other cultures in the game during that mode as well for different building styles?

in the pc version you have a really big map with various islands. Every island can handle different ressources like in the Wii game. Other than the Wii game you can go where you want right from the start. You don't need to unlock new map-parts by doing stuff.
Sea trading is an essential part of the pc game because your citizens have needs and you have to ship all the ressources by hand or by automated trading routes (you have to set up manually) to your town island.

If you open the map in the Wii version, just imagine all the rectangle place where you can unlock parts is a huge map. Island size varies as well as their placings and their ressources.
So there are around 15-20 islands in the world at once ;)

Wes

venison crêpe
Meh I must be doing something wrong in my continuous game because on medium difficulty I've got the computer players hitting the level about Citizen (which I've just forgotten - Paritian?) and I'm still shuffling tools backwards and forwards from the NPCs to set up my iron (and thus my own tools) production.

Then when I'm ready to go up alll the islands with crops on have already been taken :|

One thing I have realised though is that timing Ascencion of citizens is important. Having that on automatic was screwing me up.

Oh and also, fuck raiders.

Really enjoying my new continuous map. I am playing it on an easier setting though with 1 computer player. But I just really wanted to build my town without worrying about pissing the computer off and vice versa, starting wars and such. Much more relaxing.

Got 2 decent size populations on different islands and some great trade routes. It's all working splendidly. Just built a place for tournaments to gain more Honour.

Effect

Caesar III said:
in the pc version you have a really big map with various islands. Every island can handle different ressources like in the Wii game. Other than the Wii game you can go where you want right from the start. You don't need to unlock new map-parts by doing stuff.
Sea trading is an essential part of the pc game because your citizens have needs and you have to ship all the ressources by hand or by automated trading routes (you have to set up manually) to your town island.

If you open the map in the Wii version, just imagine all the rectangle place where you can unlock parts is a huge map. Island size varies as well as their placings and their ressources.
So there are around 15-20 islands in the world at once ;)

Thanks. Good to know.

In the PC version do the description of the various structures show how much they cost to maintain? This is directed at anyone. I do recall now that is something that annoyed me last night in the Wii version. You can see how many resources it takes to build something as how much gold it would take however you don't (at least I from what I can tell) see how much it cost to maintain the building until it's place. I guess over time you'll remember but still annoying.

Would be nice to know how many people a particular food source could cover. Seems a guessing game at the moment but I guess over time you figure this out. Or I'm building to many homes and increasing my population to fast. Does the PC version provide that information or do you have to feel it out?

Effect

Finally got a chance to play the demo of the PC version. Have to say I prefer the Wii version. I didn't expect that to be the case as I don't mind PC city builders. I enjoy the Settler series for example. However I found the PC version of Dawn of Discovery to simply be to slow for my taste. Perhaps I'm simply used to the fast pace of the Wii version. I actually (this surprised me) found myself missing the colorful graphics of the Wii game instead. The PC version looks great no doubt and my computer had no problem running it at the High setting but once the I go to see it in action the desire to for the realistic graphics died off.

Effect said:
Finally got a chance to play the demo of the PC version. Have to say I prefer the Wii version. I didn't expect that to be the case as I don't mind PC city builders. I enjoy the Settler series for example. However I found the PC version of Dawn of Discovery to simply be to slow for my taste. Perhaps I'm simply used to the fast pace of the Wii version. I actually (this surprised me) found myself missing the colorful graphics of the Wii game instead. The PC version looks great no doubt and my computer had no problem running it at the High setting but once the I go to see it in action the desire to for the realistic graphics died off.
i enjoy the wii version but its just far too simple after a while imo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MisterAnderson said:
I want this game, really badly. But I can not bring myself to buy such a DRM heavy title.

I am in the same boat. I have a huge backlog so I am not in a hurry to buy the game, but I do want to play it as I really enjoyed the previous game which I picked up during a Gamersgate sale.

Effect said:
You can speed up or slow down the game at any given moment with the "+" and "-" keys on the keypad. I played most of the campaign in fast forward mode. What makes the Wii version faster? Is the PC version missing any important features?

Effect said:
Thanks. Good to know.

In the PC version do the description of the various structures show how much they cost to maintain? This is directed at anyone. I do recall now that is something that annoyed me last night in the Wii version. You can see how many resources it takes to build something as how much gold it would take however you don't (at least I from what I can tell) see how much it cost to maintain the building until it's place. I guess over time you'll remember but still annoying.
you can press down, IIRC while pointing at the building in the build menu to get additional information about this particular building. Could be another button though. But it is impemented.

btw: Good to hear I'm not alone in the boat liking the Wii version more :)

Man, couldn't stop playing this yesterday. Must have put in about 8 hrs alone.

My continuous game got a bit hectic when the Envoys started demanding more needs. Had to colonise several new islands to gain the resources they required. Was a bit of a pain in the butt. Having the goods shipped over from the furthest corners of the world takes quite a while and there's a lack of patience. My Perfume production line is very slow as well.

All good fun though trying to make everything run like clockwork, though not always easy. I'm on constructing the Sultan's Mosque, but I require over 5000 Envoys. Gonna have to move onto another island as I haven't any space left on the original to get the 1500 or so more Envoys.

A new piccie of my sprawling Orient Metropolis.

o0z2hf.jpg

Effect

Katana_Strikes said:
Man, couldn't stop playing this yesterday. Must have put in about 8 hrs alone.

My continuous game got a bit hectic when the Envoys started demanding more needs. Had to colonise several new islands to gain the resources they required. Was a bit of a pain in the butt. Having the goods shipped over from the furthest corners of the world takes quite a while and there's a lack of patience. My Perfume production line is very slow as well.

I didn't expect ship travel to be as slow as it was in the PC version. I didn't think it would be really fast but I became annoyed waiting for things to be delivered.

Then again maybe the demo wasn't the best way to go or I didn't run the tutorial. I think it was the first two missions of the campaign. Is the tutorial active in the demo?

Effect said:
I didn't expect ship travel to be as slow as it was in the PC version. I didn't think it would be really fast but I become annoyed waiting for things to be delivered.

Then again maybe the demo wasn't the best way to go or I didn't run the tutorial. I think it was the first two missions of the campaign. Is the tutorial active in the demo?
I often just leave the game in fast motion mode when I'm not doing a lot of active management, and am basically just letting my cities and trade routes run themselves. The ships are pretty speedy in that mode.

This is just the exact game I needed to keep me going through the boring summer months. This game sucks time away like there's no tomorrow. The next time you look at the clock, hours have passed and it doesn't feel like half an hours gone. Scaryly addictive.:D

archnemesis said:
You can speed up or slow down the game at any given moment with the "+" and "-" keys on the keypad. I played most of the campaign in fast forward mode. What makes the Wii version faster? Is the PC version missing any important features?

Chris Remo said:
I often just leave the game in fast motion mode when I'm not doing a lot of active management, and am basically just letting my cities and trade routes run themselves. The ships are pretty speedy in that mode.
i didnt even know this mode existed. thank you!! you just saved me hours

inner-G

Banned
Chris Remo said:
I've been doing the same thing.

Is there an easier way to do it than holding down the + key though? I've been using an eraser with a TV remote on top to hold it down :lol

inner-G said:
I've been doing the same thing.

Is there an easier way to do it than holding down the + key though? I've been using an eraser with a TV remote on top to hold it down :lol
Yeah, there's a useful overlay menu you can bring up either by pressing F11, or going to the little options menu in the lower right and turning it on. It has all kinds of controls like speed (there are three speed levels), postcard mode toggle, cycle through ships, and other things. All of those things also have keyboard shortcuts, but I wouldn't have known about most of them without that menu.

Effect

MisterAnderson said:
So besides the 3 install limit DRM thing...does it also install a rootkey or whatever that will suck up resources?

I recall reading talk of maybe the TAGES system itself acts like or is a rootkit type program if that is what you're referring to. However don't know if that is the case. This an issue I have with DRM programming. The extra stuff that is installed in the background that you don't know about unless you are looking for it. I made myself learn about the Windows registry originally when I was younger for this very reason as I was curious to know why the system still felt something was still installed after I deleted the folder or had an error uninstalling. I get so annoyed when I still see crap left over after I've uninstalled "completely". Anyway getting off topic I think.

Effect

Chris Remo said:

I'll try messing around with that (or see if I can on the demo) when I get home. Thinking back I think it might be because the missions start with areas already built up. I'm going to try the endless mode instead to start completely fresh and play that way.

Wes

venison crêpe
Do Tournament Arenas need to be near anything for bonuses or can I stick them anywhere to get honour?

Wes said:
Do Tournament Arenas need to be near anything for bonuses or can I stick them anywhere to get honour?

You can put them anywhere. Once placed you decide from 3 options of which tournament to hold (all costing different resources and money).

Wes

venison crêpe
Hmmm ok thanks.

I've finally got a continuous game working well. Although I'm still miles behind the CPUs. I'm just concentrating on satisying my citizens before ascending and building all the patrician stuff.

Crye

Just done the campaign (PC), thought it all ended a bit abruptly but then by chance I clicked the Anno 1404 logo thing in games main menu.
So awesome :lol

Was it always clickable? Either way, I couldnt have found a better time to click it, haven't laughed so hard in ages.

Rur0ni

Man, looks really great with the settings cranked and in motion. And the UI/presentation is gorgeous. Other developers can take some notes here.

rabhw

This might be a stupid question but I've never played an Anno game before:

What is the purpose of the white grid squares that surround a building before you place it? I see you can overlap them with existing buildings if you wish, allowing you to place buildings more closely together...then I started thinking it had something to do with the efficiency of the building and that if you built it where the entire surrounding grid is free, it would make the building more efficient?

Explanation please!

Crye

Yep I'm pretty sure its to do with efficiency. More empty white squares the better, overlapping will hurt productivity of the newer placed one, it wont be able to use them squares. Not so with farms that use fields though or actual production facilities though, where here with farms they just outline the furthest extent which you could place fields from the main building. If the white squares go red it means the soil isn't good, may need to put down that water thing if your on southen islands etc.
With some other buildings like tool makers, mines etc its good to overlap because it means they can share resources without the need of a cart being sent, you'll see people carrying goods between them instead.

Least I think thats all correct... I've also noticed you can use up some of those squares freely before efficiency takes a hit, lets you get a road to burners and lumberjacks etc without damaging output.

Just got the game. Continuous Play ftw.

I must be blind, but I can't find the "Withhold Building Materials" option in the Warehouse.

Someone post a screenshot.

cartoon_soldier said:
Just got the game. Continuous Play ftw.

I must be blind, but I can't find the "Withhold Building Materials" option in the Warehouse.

Someone post a screenshot.

Click on the marketplace, then click on the scroll at the top of the panel that pops up. It's called "Deny Ascension Rights" in 1404.

rabhw said:
This might be a stupid question but I've never played an Anno game before:

What is the purpose of the white grid squares that surround a building before you place it? I see you can overlap them with existing buildings if you wish, allowing you to place buildings more closely together...then I started thinking it had something to do with the efficiency of the building and that if you built it where the entire surrounding grid is free, it would make the building more efficient?

Explanation please!
That's for buildings that harvest surrounding resources--woodcutters and so on. That field represents the amount of empty space they need to operate at peak efficiency.

Cday

Banned
Can't get enough of this game. Think there's any chance for expansions? I'd like to see them implement more environments. Perhaps arctic or a tropical environment.

Apenheul

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
How is the DS version? Thinking of picking it up...

I haven't played 1404 but I've played and finished 1701 on DS. Amazing game, controlled beautifully too.

I'm still in doubt whether I should buy 1404, I've played the PC demo but I have long travels and want to be able to play it on the train so I'm going for DS by default. However I don't know whether 1404 is different enough to make me go through the whole campaign again.

Cday said:
Can't get enough of this game. Think there's any chance for expansions? I'd like to see them implement more environments. Perhaps arctic or a tropical environment.

Well they did mention about an expansion in a survey, but I guess it depends on games sales as well.

I'd certainly love new enviros/civs.

Put over 36 hrs into this now. :O

I'm a bit pissed though, because I was on the last stage on making my Sultan's Mosque and I needed over 5000 Envoys. Thing was the island's full, so I can't get that many living on their. Thought inhabiting another island with the rest would have been sufficient but it's not the case. Shame there's no other island big enough now. I'll have to knock it down or make a war with an ally to get them off the biggest island :(

Steeven

I bought the game today, just played a few hours. I started with continuous mode and after one restart I got the hang of it. I really dislike tutorials and stuff, just want to sit and play, this is one of those games. I really like the graphics and the atmosphere in the towns. This game will help me spend some free time until Hearts of Iron 3 releases.

Now that looks cool. :lol A game like that with fantasy/sci fi elements would be aaaawesome! Imagine one of the catastrophies being an invasion from mars!

Top Bottom