• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the ANNO 1404 (DAWN OF DISCOVERY) |OT|

Aponi

Wandering around Best Buy last night I noticed that they had the Gold Edition of 1701 on sale for $9.99. I found the last copy on the shelf and snatched it up. If you're interested in trying the series, good luck finding a copy!

Zzoram

Anyone still playing this? Does it have any longevity? I haven't opened my copy due to lack of time, and I'm considering returning it for Little King Story instead.

Zzoram said:
Anyone still playing this? Does it have any longevity? I haven't opened my copy due to lack of time, and I'm considering returning it for Little King Story instead.
Believe me, this game is a prime example of longevity. I still play Anno 1701 to this day and it's a few years old already. 1404 promises to be the same addicting game again.

Apenheul

I couldn't make up my mind about which version I should buy (either PC or DS version) but then my brother bought me Anno: Create a New World for Wii. Caesar III, Wollan and others have posted great impressions and I love how it looks so I'm looking forward to playing it this weekend.

MisterAnderson said:
I want this game, really badly. But I can not bring myself to buy such a DRM heavy title.

I'm in exactly the same position. I'm hoping they rescind their DRM policy sometime in the future so I might pick it up. :(

Just wanted to pop in here and say the Wii version is EXCELLENT. If I'm having an enjoyable time with that version, should I try out the PC version?

Zzoram said:
Little King's Story is a greater experience imho!
And you support a smaller developer. You can buy Anno (Wii :D) later then ;)

@Apenheul: Have fun! :)

BrandNew said:
Just wanted to pop in here and say the Wii version is EXCELLENT. If I'm having an enjoyable time with that version, should I try out the PC version?
The pc version is a blast, and the graphic are so niiiiiice...
Lots of replay value (not in the campaign mode but in continuous play)
only flaw: the military sucks...

I played the Wii version a little and really like it but I guess I don't understand it yet because I fucked up in the tutorial missions and lose 100 gold per second :lol

Can I fix that just by building more houses? Are taxes the only steady source of income?

Really nice graphics and interface, nicer than mere screenshots indicate.

PsychoCrow said:
I played the Wii version a little and really like it but I guess I don't understand it yet because I fucked up in the tutorial missions and lose 100 gold per second :lol

Can I fix that just by building more houses? Are taxes the only steady source of income?

Really nice graphics and interface, nicer than mere screenshots indicate.
Yo can sell stuff as well. Other than that yes, taxes are the only income.

Sleeper901 said:
The pc version is a blast, and the graphic are so niiiiiice...
yeah. Game = graphics...:(
Lots of replay value (not in the campaign mode but in continuous play)
check back here after 50hours please! AI sucks ASS
only flaw: the military sucks...
It's Anno. Military sucked in every iteration.

I just got Anno 1404...awesome game so far...but WTF I can hardly read any of the fucking text. I'm only on 1280x720 resolution yet the text is SO DAMN SMALL. All of the resource icons are also tiny as shit. I have never complained about small text before in any game ever... is there just something wrong with a setting I have or something?

Effect said:
However I found the PC version of Dawn of Discovery to simply be to slow for my taste. Perhaps I'm simply used to the fast pace of the Wii version.

Im about 35 hours in on my continuous game, I just finished
the first phase of the historic warehouse
. I've found it to be a really fast paced game if you want it to be, but also, if you play it well and know what your doing you can stop doing anything and just watch your citizens get there goods and make you money. I have around 10 trade routes, and there tuned so perfectly I'm getting a boner just thinking about it. Ive had 2 wars, one successful where I took an enemies main island and made it my production center, one not successful where I got my fleet destroyed and paid up for a peace treaty. I have been basically non stop frantic clicking since I started the map. I have no idea how far the tech tree goes but i know there are around 10+ resources I havent even touched yet.

Caesar III said:
check back here after 50hours please! AI sucks ASS

i've played more than 50 hours...
I don't care if the AI sucks, cause you can basically play this game without anyone other than you on the map...
as i said, the military part is lame, you just need the computer to trade goods and stuff...

Effect

Question. In the PC version do resources locations and/or buildings have to be within field of vision (best way I can think of it) of a market place in order to be placed? It was this way in the Wii version. Or do they simply have to be connected by roads and distance doesn't matter?

Also are the market places connected? For example if I have two on other ends of an island and each has different resources going to it will the houses near it only have access to the resources going to the specific markets or everything? If they don't share do I have to manually trade resources between them?

Going to pick the game up after work but I don't remember in regards these questions. Just would like to know this before I pick up the game if possible.

Thanks.

Effect said:
In the PC version do resources locations and/or buildings have to be within field of vision (best way I can think of it) of a market place in order to be placed?
Yes, it's the same way in the PC version.
Effect said:
Also are the market places connected?
All market places on the same island are automatically connected. There's no need for any extra roads between them.

Effect

archnemesis said:
Yes, it's the same way in the PC version.
All market places on the same island are automatically connected. There's no need for any extra roads between them.

Great. Thanks.

Apenheul

I've only played about five Story Mode chapters of the Wii version but man, this version is awesome. I think I like it even more than 1701 although it's been a while since I've played that one. The pointer controls just work so well and additionally it looks very nice too. Can't wait to play Continuous Mode. People looking for a city building game on consoles should definitely give Anno: Create a New World a try, I don't think it gets any better (for the moment at least). So far I agree 100% with the impressions of Caesar III and Wollan.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
allow me to chime in on the wii version - game is ace. i hadn't touched a blue byte title since settlers 3, but anno 1404 is everything i've ever wanted from settlers.

falastini

/sigh

I was really looking forward to this.

I got a copy of Anno 1701 laying here I feel like getting into again, but then I'd have to manually install the x64 drm software again... I almost wanna skip Dawn of Discovery out of spite.
fucking ubisoft

blu said:
allow me to chime in on the wii version - game is ace. i hadn't touched a blue byte title since settlers 3, but anno 1404 is everything i've ever wanted from settlers.
BlueByte only supervised this one! It's made by keen games! They did the port for tunguska for wii and tunguska 2 for wii as well. Also both DS Anno games were made by them and the new upcomming G-Force game.

Too bad a huge part of the staff had to lay off lately because they did not get the next big deal from whoever Publisher it was :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just bought this off of Steam.

I've been totally disconnected from the whole DRM issue, but what I've heard about the game sounds awesome.

I'm not going to let some weird power struggle between company and consumers stop me from having fun. I'm only going to install this on one PC, anyway.

spwolf

been playing it for 10 days or so... what can i say, it is best Anno ever :).
Still not up to siedler II standards but I didnt expect it to be.

I have some issues that I didnt like particulary and kind of bugs me
- markets automatically connected without road - easy way to skip around many problems but what, they have underground connection that we cant see? blah
- campaign mode lies and cheats and restricts and trades when it wants... blah
- more info is needed on how happy are people (very simple needs chart is... very simple... and yet thats most important part of the game). In fact, more info is needed about everything. They based strategy on 300 different buildings available, which is fine but give me more meat.
- being able to assign priorities for resources... yeah, siedler fun!

Otherwise, definetly deeper experience than before so thumbs up :D

How does DRM work? Is it only to do with the game in question, or does it monitor other aspects of my computing, say if im downloading torrents etc, will that have any impact on it? Does it get deleted if I uninstall the game?

falastini said:
DoD is 24.99 on impulse.

I was holding out because of the DRM, but I think this deal is too good to pass up.

Comes out to about the same as GoGamer with shipping, I may just bite, depending on what the steam weekend deal is.

I want this on Impulse so bad but I'm holding out because of TAGES. Any word on a gold edition or something with removed DRM in the future? And does the Anno Series normally have expansions?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So i found an anno 1602 CD while i was searching my loft, shit i never knew i had that so i thought i'd give it a try.
Was really enjoying it so i bought 1701 (found it at CEX in town). Fuck i love this even more! I'm impressed at how much better this is.

So tell me gaf, how much does 1404 improve on 1701?

Katana_Strikes said:
Well I don't remember a lot about it. I think it might have been 1503 (?) I played. Just couldn't get into it at the time, I guess.

Been playing a lot of continous today. Though I may just start again and make the map smaller. It's pretty mental, other players taking over islands and hating me for colonising ones they want. That and I'm at war with 2 people and they keep blowing my boats up. A rethink is in order...

Anyways was playing with the postcard mode for the first time today. It's goddamn awesome. Really gets you a good feel of your city with some spectacular views. Took some photies anyways...

15obgg2.jpg

eq2ejb.jpg

2hqt3pj.jpg

52g96u.jpg

Beautiful game.

Holy fuck @ those pics, i think, those pics just sold me. I will be going to the store this weekend. Will be one more game added to my big ass backlog. LOL

Walshicus

Wanted to check this out a while ago but hear there's no multiplayer yet? Anyone know if there are any plans to change that?

markot

Banned
I wish the battle system was less lame.

But it gets so hard to keep your dudes stocked later on with all their frivolous demands! You really have to plan ahead tonnes...

But it is a great game ^_^

Fredescu

I've played for 13 hours and had only two short battles in that time, so I wouldn't know :lol

I'm playing through the campaign. I think it's Chapter 5 that I'm up to.

falastini

I finally got around to playing this. I got bored initially trying to work my way through the tutorial/campaign, that I put it down for a while and forgot about it. I jumped straight into the continuous mode this time and just learned through trial and error.

So tell me gaf, how much does 1404 improve on 1701?

It's better in my opinion, but don't expect a whole new game. It doesn't deviate from the formula that much. In fact, after a bunch of hours into DoD, I'm running into the same problem I had with 1701, in that I feel that once I found the successful formula, I'm repeating it every time.. I guess that makes sense though, considering your gathering the resources in the same order each game.

I gotta say I'm glad they have a 2-hr warning in the game. I lost myself a few times and lost track of time. It's nice to be reminded of how long I was on. :lol

farnham

Banned
just played the wii version and i have to say im stunned at how great the game is

i played the first anno on the PC and loved it back then but never went back to the series until now.. and the wii interface is just perfect for the game..

Top Bottom