• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The answer of Xbox to the PlayStation Classic.

WaterAstro

Do they have an answer for God of War, Detroit, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Dragon Quest XI, and Spider-man?

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Here we go with the console wars. At this rate, I'm going to end up maxing out my ignore list before the year is through lol

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Said this in the other thread but will say it again.

To play the game, you need the disc which you will have previously purchased in one way or another.

Therefore, it’s not free.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
tbh playing red dead redemption in 4k is fucking insane on my xbox one x

To play the game, you need the disc which you will have previously purchased in one way or another.

I'm almost sure they meant if you have the game you can play it for free on The One without purchasing a mini to play a game you probably already own js

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Here is a classic: Nintendo pushing a novel idea, releasing a miniature version of a classic console, and Sony putting a me-too product.

Nitty_Grimes

I'm almost sure they meant if you have the game you can play it for free on The One without purchasing a mini to play a game you probably already own js

Oh I’m sure too however they removed the 180 character limit on Twitter so they needed to add an asterisk and say that you need the disc to play.

It’s just misleading. Nothing fanboy-ist from me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How is this an answer when MS was not even in the console arena when the PSOne (or NES/SNES yet they never tweeted this about Nintendo) era were out?

Save this tweet for the PS2 Classic please. :pie_winking: Then I will side with it.

ExpandKong

Banned

If I own the PS1 discs of FF7 and I want to play FF7 on my PS4, I have to purchase it again.

You know exactly what he meant, don’t be daft.

Of course it's relevant. If Microsoft is poking fun at Sony for the lack of BC (old) games, it's hypocritical since they have been lacking new games, which is more relevant to consumers.
This thread is about discussing how both companies are handling their old game library.

Which your reply has nothing to do with. There are many other threads were you can continue your console warrior nonsense.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Microsoft has come a long way. 5 years ago they were saying stuff like "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards".
don-mattrick-xbox-one_1280.0.jpg

just look at this fucking douche canoe

he nearly destroyed xbox i still get pissed if i see his face

Nitty_Grimes

If I own the PS1 discs of FF7 and I want to play FF7 on my PS4, I have to purchase it again.

You know exactly what he meant, don’t be daft.

Who’s he?

I’m not being anything. It’s msleading. It’s not free If need to buy the disc to play it on Xbox is it either?

It implies that I can go onto my Xbox and play any one of 500 games for nothing other than having to select it from a list which isn’t true.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

This thread is about discussing how both companies are handling their old game library.

Which your reply has nothing to do with. There are many other threads were you can continue your console warrior nonsense.
No, it's talking about having games at all. You're just being selective like Microsoft's PR lol.

hecatomb

Banned
im wondering how many people would want a xbox mini, wouldn't it be hard to add a lot xbox games to a small console like that. And of course having halo 1 and 2 with 4 player mode.

Last edited:
Hilarious tweet because :
a.) It's True
B.) What games would be on an Xbox Classic? Halo 1,2,3, Forza 1-7, Gears 1,2,3, Fable 1,2,3 and umm... 6 CoD games.

Mochilador

The BC team has done an amazing job. And they even updated some games to 4K, like RDR. It's basically a free remaster.

Wow at this thread
tenor.gif

As a retrofan I hope we get more b/c and classic games/ consoles released.....would love to see a midway/konami arcade pack with arcade perfect ports of nbajam....ninja turtles

DonF

as a huge sony fan this gen, Xbox is right. But thats a consequence of selling half as the ps4. Yes, arrogant sony exists, but also arrogant microsoft.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
The format they are selling is totally different. Back on PS3, you could use your psx CDs (respecting the region) and even so the psone classics online library sold awesomely. Do you guys really think it is the same thing? PsOne Classic is a "package", closed product offering 20 games plus a nice console reproducing the Nostalgia of the first PsOne. of course there is no PsOne Classics library on PS4, neither there is the support for CDs, but if they are both lacking, there is no way you could associate one thing to another. Even if Nintendo still used real carts with backwards compatibility up to the switch, and allowing carts and online sales, t releasing the mini series would still be viable, just like GameCube and NES controllers

It's not simply the games inside. It is marketed in a different way, like a memorabilia for hardcore fans.

Last edited:

Dlacy13g

Tweet was a nice bit of counter marketing. The reality is it wont really matter to end sales . The success of the PS Mini Classi will live and die with how well the Sony machine gets marketed. Console warriors are the only ones this seems to have an impact with. Get some thicker skin children.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I guess MS getting them back for this.:messenger_beaming:

I had tears in my eyes during that sony conference. Hearing everyone applaud. Just felt amazing watching it. $100 less than the competition, and no used game restrictions / always online.

But yeah MS might be getting them back slightly. Would be interesting to see Sony come back with backwards compatibility for PS5.

Pallas

Gold Member
The friendly jab is pretty funny, I don’t understand why there is so much negativity involving the wording. It is Xbox UK after all, aren’t the Englishmen funny about how they word stuff?

Last edited:
The friendly jab is pretty funny, I don’t understand why there is so much negativity involving the wording. It is Xbox UK after all, aren’t the Englishmen funny about how they word stuff?

Because it's a badly worded tweet. People think all 500+ classic games are instantly free and available to all.
Btw. curios why XboxUK didn't do similar tweet when Nintendo released their classic consoles. Looks like success of PS4 hurting them badly.

Last edited:

geordiemp

None of them sound interesting to me. Now Zelda botw, Mario odyssey or smash... that would be a different story.

Nintendo would be having a direct about Ps1 games that will be $ 60 on release when they come to Switch lol

MS have a point, Sony and Nintendo should do more backwards compat and less of this crap.

And before the flame wars start, I have 2 ps4 pro for starters and xb1 / 360 / ps3.

Last edited:
Because it's a badly worded tweet. People think all 500+ classic games are instantly free and available to all.
Btw. curios why XboxUK didn't do similar tweet when Nintendo released their classic consoles. Looks like success of PS4 hurting them badly.
You really think this would lead people to believe xbox is giving away 500 free games? Even a single person?

Like let's be serious here.

Pallas

Gold Member

I wouldn’t say it's badly worded, anyone with sense know that the actual game isn’t free(physical, digital) but the ability to play them requires no additional purchase/hardware if you already own the game and obviously have the console, also this came from the UK twitter account, as for the bold part do you really need to ask why?

Aren’t Microsoft and Nintendo chummy/friendly from all the crossplay and Twitter PR that’s been circulating. It should be obvious why they didn’t say anything about Nintendo’s miniature consoles.

35jz729.jpg

I guess MS getting them back for this.:messenger_beaming:

That ad was Sony twisting the knife that MS stabbed themselves with over DRM and used game restrictions. By contrast the PlayStation Classic feels like a victory lap after another majorly successful Sony console.

I think MS's response by comparison falls flat.

Top Bottom