• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Berenstein Bears: We Are Living in Our Own Parallel Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

Like it's easy to say "stupid theory" but i owned and read that fucking book dozens of times. Must've looked at it thousands of times. And looking at it now the 'a' looks fucking weird. I can so clearly remember the 'e' in that same font and everything.

So fucking weird.
image.php

I can recollect parts of my childhood clear enough to remember exact conversations and I'm absolutely certain those books were with an "e" and not an "a."

When I found those books a couple years ago while moving some stuff out of the basement, I nearly shat myself when I saw it was an "a." Went on a massive downward spiral of researching all things related to alternate universes / dimensions for a good week.

A-V-B

Gonna rain on the parade here and say I remember having the conversation about the name with my parents when I was a little kid, in a book store. They'd correct me, "no, see? It's berenstain."

Beterstein still stuck, but it was always a thing in my head that the real name was a little weird.

I very much doubt young children (unless they're jewish) know that berenstein is a much more common last name than berenstain. So why would we remember incorrectly.

Exactly. To me this is a prime example of why this is sooooo bizarre and can't simply be hand waved away as mis-remembering things. Have always remembered seeing it as Berenstein. When I was very young and still gradually learning about different cultures I'll never forget when I first learned that Stein is common in Jewish last names and the first thing I thought at that moment was, "Ohhhh, ok! So that means the authors of the Berenstein Bear books must be Jewish!" Seriously, my mind is blown away by Berenstain.

HariKari

Gonna rain on the parade here and say I remember having the conversation about the name with my parents when I was a little kid, in a book store. They'd correct me, "no, see? It's berenstain."

Beterstein still stuck, but it was always a thing in my head that the real name was a little weird.

The titles were usually written in near cursive or cursive, so the idea that kids just kind of went with their own pronunciation isn't far fetched. They were the Beren-steen bears to me. If you say it enough and nobody ever corrects you or points out the difference, it probably sticks memory wise, especially in such formative years. I don't ever remember the "ain" spelling, though, so the whole situation does still feel weird.

Someone should interview Jim Carrey and ask him what he thinks about the universe's collective consciousness collapsin' in on itself like that

And why the hell is there a UFO outside my window'? That noise is obnoxiouuuus

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

How does it feel to know your parents are Gray Men, the unfeeling agents of the ultraverse?

We should immediately summon Sapphire and Steel.

Will add to the OP

Very insightful

Actually, universes start to converge at the point where Ronald Reagan chose George HW Bush as his VP over Ron Paul. Dr. Paul sought to reverse time to change the decision. Nelson Mandela, the turkey pic, and the Berenstein Bears all fall victim to this, plus many other things we haven't noticed yet. Dr. Paul's meddling did not reverse time but instead created a separate timeline that we all inhabit now.

This caused Bush to lose to Clinton and George W Bush to win two elections he never should have won. Paul saw the damage he caused and realized the only way to make things right would be to become president. The only problem is, he couldn't speak of this to the public, or else both universes would implode. However, the timeline change turned Ron into an evolution-denying creationist, rendering him unelectable.

After his defeat, Paul saw that in our universe, a Republican Candidate with hair unlike the world has ever seen would succeed Obama. He believed his son Rand would fulfill the prophecy and make things right again. However, time works in unpredictable ways, and in our universe, it has been recently revealed that Donald Trump will fulfill the prophecy, not Rand...

Yooooo

Painguy

You see, the universe was in quantum state A. Some disturbance in energy allowed a small portion of space time to get out of its metastable state from the well it was in, and now we're in state B. I blame CERN y'all. These homies fuckin shit uuuuuuuuup.

it could be CERN or something else yoooooooooooooo. lmao We Steinsgate now.
I probs shouldnt be tryong to apply my introductory undergrad knowledge of quantum physics to this stuff. I feel sorry for actual physicists reading this thread. We're all joking right?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom