• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Foam Mattresses You Can Buy Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Review here: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-foam-mattresses-you-can-buy-online/

mattresses-1-group-boxes-630.jpg

Mattresses tested: Tuft & Needle, BedInABox, Casper, Leesa, Signature Sleep Contour 8, IKEA MATRAND.

1. Leesa

Leesa’s soft but supportive foam mattress has better cooling, edge support, and a nicer cover than the competition, for a fair price. The return window is 100 days when buying direct but 30 days via Amazon.

https://www.leesa.com

2. Casper

Casper’s newest mattress is a well-balanced and middle-of-the-road choice, but in our tests it wasn’t as comfortable for side-sleepers as the Leesa was. It could work better for side/back rotators and for couples that include back-sleepers.

https://casper.com

3. Tuft and Needle

Many people find this mattress too firm for side-sleeping, but it’s perfect for those who sleep on their back. Some stomach-sleepers who like firm beds might prefer this model, too.

https://www.tuftandneedle.com

Note: I'm a side sleeper and I love my tuft and needle. I slept in a traditional mattress before. Your mileage may vary.

Selection process:

Our initial list of 15 mattresses to consider came from reader surveys, mattress review sites, and our editors’ experiences. We dismissed some models—Keetsa, Saatva, and Loom & Leaf—because their return policies involved fees. Two foam mattresses, Novosbed and Brooklyn Bedding, offered three levels of firmness and couldn’t fit into our first round of testing. The same goes for the user-customized Helix. The Purple, the Yogabed, and the selection of foam mattresses at Brentwood Home were simply not as well-known to us, or to our reader-survey respondents, to make this first round of testing. We ended up testing six mattresses from six manufacturers.

Guevara

I bought a Sleep Innovations foam+gel mattress direct from Amazon (and at GAF's suggestion) 2 years ago.

A++++ would buy again.

ultron87

I got a Leesa at the start of the year. It started out a little too firm for me for the first week or so after unpacking, but after a month or so it feels really great. The trial period (which most of the online places have) made it pretty easy to give that a shot first instead of dealing with the hassle of a mattress store.

Also, unpacking the mattress from its tiny box and watching it expand really fast is quite fun.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I got one on sale from Costco. Worked out pretty well. I'm surprised at how they could cram such a big mattress into such a small box.

Box was really goddamned heavy, though.

Valtýr

I wish Leesa had a showroom. I refuse to buy a mattress I can't at least lay down on before. The 100 day trial doesn't really work since I would have to toss my existing mattress before getting it so I would be out a bed.

Ducayne

Alert for anyone that has an Amex and interested in a foam mattress: They are offering $100 off $500 purchase through Amex Offers.

I used this deal a few months ago on a Tuft and Needle,

giga

So what are the advantages of a foam mattress? Or is it just down to personal preference?
"This is a fast-growing category, and for good reason: The average mattress-buying experience is fairly terrible, with high markups, car-dealer-like showrooms, and a litany of models that are near-replicas but renamed for every store and pricing tier."

OP, I feel you should add this website...

This guy goes way more in-depth into foam mattress reviews, including stuff I'd like to know like edge support and off-gassing.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattressreview-memory-foam.html
They do consult it, along with others, in the article.

"To find the mattresses people wanted, we spoke to a number of experts and read a lot about how mattresses are made and sold. Our research included:

Surveying nearly 650 people about the mattresses they last bought, whether online or in a mattress showroom
Looking up 15 mattresses that cost less than $1,000 with free trials
Interviewing Dr. Robert S. Rosenberg, board-certified sleep medicine physician and author of Sleep Soundly Every Night, Feel Fantastic Every Day
Reading dozens of threads on mattress forum The Mattress Underground
Speaking with the proprietors of two leading (but very different) mattress review sites, Nick Robinson of Sleep Like the Dead and Derek Hales of Sleepopolis"

IronRinn

The Sweethome/Wirecutter are legit. Love those sites.

Man do I love SweetHome/WireCutter. Such good reviews.

I've basically had to rebuy everything for living after getting out of a long term relationship and these two sites (especially The Sweethome) have been so invaluable to me. They are so thorough, both in their methodology and how they explain how they arrived at their conclusions. My go-to sites for reviews tech and home stuff.

I got a Leesa (before this review) and have had it for about a month. As ultron87 noted, it starts off maybe a bit too firm but is breaking in nicely. I'm a side sleeper.

Aeana

We got a Loom & Leaf in January and love it to death. Wonder why it wasn't tested. EDIT: Oh, because of a return fee.

Just bought a Tuft & Needle--mostly a stomach and side sleeper. Enjoying it so far, though I understand it needs a week-ish to break in?

we're in a golden era of mattress podcast advertising

lol

Can you edit the OP's title since it's clickbait?

It's the title of the article.

I've basically had to rebuy everything for living after getting out of a long term relationship and these two sites (especially The Sweethome) have been so invaluable to me. They are so thorough, both in their methodology and how they explain they arrived at their conclusions. My go-to sites for reviews tech and home stuff.

Ditto. Those two sites have been crucial for me!

zbarron

We purchased the LINENSPA 10 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress about 5 months ago and are really pleased. It had the largest amount of actual memory foam (3.5") in our price range. It being gel infused and having the airholes so you don't overheat is nice. It was a good purchase, though I can't say I've compared it to the other mattresses being discussed in this thread.

giga

It doesn't review everything, so how do you know you're getting an unbiased view?
Because they consulted multiple sources. Excluding items because they didn't make the first round or because they had return fees doesn't make them biased, imo.

IronRinn

Do any of these mattresses have a weird chemical/rubbery scent to them? That would really bother me...

The Leesa had that when I first opened it up, but it only lasted for a few hours. I think all foam mattresses "off gas" for a bit when you first get them.

flyover

I've had a Casper for about 18 months (so it's probably the original recipe), and I'm still not totally positive what I think of it

I sleep through the night way better than I ever have. And yet, I'm also achier than I used to be, which I think might be a result of the mattress. I used to fall asleep on my side or stomach, and then shift during the night to wake up on my back. Now I usually wake up in the same position I fell asleep. It's a little weird. Even with the free topper, it's not the most comfortable for stomach/side sleeping, for me.

My wife likes it unreservedly, though.

Edit:
Do any of these mattresses have a weird chemical/rubbery scent to them? That would really bother me...
The Casper stunk big time. But after a couple weeks of airing it out and rewashing the cover frequently, the smell went away completely. Smells great (well, like nothing at all), now. It was bad for a while, though -- like you could taste the foam when you breathe.

I need a new mattress, but most reviews and tests are while the mattress is still fairly new.
My last two mattresses both became sunken craters over only a couple years and I weigh 185 lbs.

I need to find a good mattress that will last longer than a year or two, and when I read the critical reviews of these mattresses I still find people complaining that after putting in the time, they too sunk in the middle. Even the Leesa.

Dont know where to look.

T-Matt

Buying a memory foam bed was one of the best purchases I've made. I got a Dreamfoam from amazon 3 years ago and it has been wonderful. So many options.
I need a new mattress, but most reviews and tests are while the mattress is still fairly new.
My last two mattresses both became sunken craters over only a couple years and I weigh 185 lbs.

I need to find a good mattress that will last longer than a year or two, and when I read the critical reviews of these mattresses I still find people complaining that after putting in the time, they too sunk in the middle. Even the Leesa.

Dont know where to look.
I'm just one review but I've had my mattress for 3 years now with my wife and I and there has been no sink whatsoever. I weigh only a little bit less than you. It is very similar to the tempurpedic cloud luxe where it is really soft but holds up strong. One to check out http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092UCN0Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

daveo42

Banned
Leesa is the next mattress I plan on buying once I have a larger space for one. I don't really have the room for anything bigger than a Twin at this point, which is in dire need of replacement and plan on moving on up to at least a Queen.

there are people who sleep on their stomachs?

I definitely do. I can't get comfortable laying on my back at all in bed. I can side sleep, but it's just more comfortable on my stomach.

Mupod

we're in a golden era of mattress podcast advertising

I'll admit the bombcast got me interested in the idea. Just immediately sounded like something I'd be down to try out but didn't know if there were any reasonable options for me being Canadian.

Tried out the one from Endy at a trade show and liked it, they are local so the price was good and it showed up in like a day. Can't complain about it so far, been on it for about a month.

There was no weird smell or anything. First night on it wasn't great because it hadn't finished expanding yet but other than that it has done its job well. Granted my previous mattress was a rock hard piece of shit I got as a hand me down (because nobody wanted anything to do with it).

Lexxon

I decided to stay away from memory foam as I can't stand the smell of it, and I have back issues and can sleep funny at times, so anything "remembering" the way I sleep seems like it might promote poor habits. So I ended up going with the Brooklyn Bedding, with two layers of latex. So far, so good--I'm not completely floored by the comfort of the mattress or anything, but I've had zero issues sleeping, and it's been a good rest each and every night. I'm still in the return period, but I see no need to return this mattress.

The Leesa was the one I was going to get if I decided to get a hybrid (memory foam/latex), and if I returned the Brooklyn, I probably would. But no complaints so far! The pillows it came with, though, are HUGE, and just too tall. I prefer a smaller, shorter pillow.

I've had a Casper for about 18 months (so it's probably the original recipe), and I'm still not totally positive what I think of it

I sleep through the night way better than I ever have. And yet, I'm also achier than I used to be, which I think might be a result of the mattress. I used to fall asleep on my side or stomach, and then shift during the night to wake up on my back. Now I usually wake up in the same position I fell asleep. It's a little weird. Even with the free topper, it's not the most comfortable for stomach/side sleeping, for me.

My wife likes it unreservedly, though.

Edit:
The Casper stunk big time. But after a couple weeks of airing it out and rewashing the cover frequently, the smell went away completely. Smells great (well, like nothing at all), now. It was bad for a while, though -- like you could taste the foam when you breathe.
I feel the same way. Had mine for around 3-4 weeks. It also feels pretty firm when I sleep on my side. Going to give it a few more weeks and see if I should return it or not.

Buying a memory foam bed was one of the best purchases I've made. I got a Dreamfoam from amazon 3 years ago and it has been wonderful. So many options.

I'm just one review but I've had my mattress for 3 years now with my wife and I and there has been no sink whatsoever. I weigh only a little bit less than you. It is very similar to the tempurpedic cloud luxe where it is really soft but holds up strong. One to check out http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092UCN0Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks, I'll look into it.

giga

Dont know where to look.
Pretty much all have various warranties that protect 1" or more indentations. But these could also be caused by improper foundation support. I think at 185lbs you'll be fine if you get a proper foundation for it. I'm at 1+ year on my tuft and needle and there's no sagging.

No_Style

It doesn't review everything, so how do you know you're getting an unbiased view?

My issue with them is that everything they recommend centers around availability on Amazon.com which they have referral links for. Their methodology is sound and Amazon.com has a huge selection but it isn't the be-all and end-all for me. It is a great starting point though.

giga

My issue with them is that everything they recommend centers around availability on Amazon.com which they have referral links for. Their methodology is sound and Amazon.com has a huge selection but it isn't the be-all and end-all for me. It is a great starting point though.
"The Wirecutter and The Sweethome are run by veteran editors from CNet, Wired, Consumer Reports, Ars Technica and many other publications of note. We pride ourselves on following the same professional journalistic standards and ethics as other reputable publications and maintain editorial independence from our business operations. The editors at our sites find and test the best gear for readers with complete editorial autonomy, do not make our picks with affiliate relationships in mind, and make product recommendations without regard to advertising, whether we have received free loaner or other product samples or any other business concern. We are, as a company, fiercely proud of the quality and independent nature of our editorial process and work"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom