• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Foam Mattresses You Can Buy Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

there are people who sleep on their stomachs?

I wish I could sleep on my back, stomach is the only way. It's the way my father slept and I ended up mimicking him. In the late mornings I'll rotate to my side, but stomach is the go to position. Its unhealthy as fuck, I crush me face and I'm pretty sure my jaw is skewed towards the right since I almost always sleep facing the right. Recently I've gone back to sleeping without a pillow, you need a low profile pillow if you're a stomach sleeping, but I rest on my the pillows when I rotate back to my side.

I picked up a Tuft and Needle last February, its pretty good for stomach sleeping, reading in bed, but not sure about side sleeping. Very firm mattress, which I prefer. Enjoy it overall, though I'm curious about some of these other mattresses, so many options.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I bought a Tuft and Needle Queen sized Matress for a couple hundred dollars a little over a year ago when I moved into my new apartment. Such a great matress and for the price especially. I have no complaints nor do I have much issue sleeping on my side with it either but maybe that differs from person to person.

Cowie

My Leesa is fantastic. It's one of the pricier direct-to-consumer foam mattress options, but all the reviews I found favored it or thought very highly of it. I don't have much for comparison, but I've never slept on a more comfortable bed and can't imagine bothering to try any others at this point.

So I've been looking into this all morning (thread came at just the right time for me) and I found that Tuft and Needle's customer support is pretty amazing. Just look at their amazon reviews and you can see they're legitimately trying to help everyone they can to get a good experience. Even people who didn't like the bed are adding stars for the reason of support alone.

I think for that reason I'm going to order from them and give this a shot. I'm not a back sleeper which supposedly is not ideal for their bed, but i've had firm in the past and didn okay with it. And with their 100 day trial period (on their site, not amazon), I think I can risk it. If I like the bed enough I can get a soft topper for it anyway.

Doesnt hurt that its way cheaper than the Leesa, which I'm sure is good but it just too much money for me.

Pretty much all have various warranties that protect 1" or more indentations. But these could also be caused by improper foundation support. I think at 185lbs you'll be fine if you get a proper foundation for it. I'm at 1+ year on my tuft and needle and there's no sagging.

Should that mattress be placed on a box spring or a flat platform? Edit: nevermind, their faq says all are acceptable. Also found this nice bit on there:

With the exception of New York returns, you do not need to keep the packaging. If you live in New York, we recommend keeping the plastic to make donations or recycling easier.
Instead of shipping it back to us, we work together to donate the mattress to a nearby charity. Send us a scanned or photographed copy of your receipt and we'll process your full refund. If no charity is available nearby for donation, we'll arrange a 3rd party pickup for the mattress.
Please note that if you purchased from Amazon, their return policy may be different and you'll need to contact them for information and help with returning your mattress.

So if you don't like it, if you provide proof that you donated it to charity, theyll give you your refund. Whoa.

Jeels

Pretty much all have various warranties that protect 1" or more indentations. But these could also be caused by improper foundation support. I think at 185lbs you'll be fine if you get a proper foundation for it. I'm at 1+ year on my tuft and needle and there's no sagging.

What does foundation support refer to? The hard mattress underneath it? (like spring mattresses have the second mattress underneath)?

Tendo

Looking at price and previous thread on this topic I've been leaning towards either the Leesa or Brooklyn Bedding. Still torn on which I'll go with. I'm very small weight wise but my back is killing me from my current saggy cheap mattress. Would like to hear more from people that have tried BB if there are any here.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I was really thinking about getting a Purple. That ad campaign man... They weren't fuckin' around.

Has anybody else tried one out?

I was really thinking about getting a Purple. That ad campaign man... They weren't fuckin' around.

Has anybody else tried one out?

Ive read about it but dont own it.
Everything I've seen says that it's fantastic, even better than some of the current top rated brands, but is not magic so keep your expectations in check.

I checked their site and apparently they dont make my desired size (full) so that counts them out for me. I'd love it if they made a purple mattress topper with just that top layer.

Wiseblood

My issue with them is that everything they recommend centers around availability on Amazon.com which they have referral links for. Their methodology is sound and Amazon.com has a huge selection but it isn't the be-all and end-all for me. It is a great starting point though.

That's not true at all. Looking at Sweethome's appliances page for example and yes most of the recommendations point to Amazon (because as you said, their selection is huge) but there's also recommendations you have to buy from places like Home Depot, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.

My issue with them is that everything they recommend centers around availability on Amazon.com which they have referral links for. Their methodology is sound and Amazon.com has a huge selection but it isn't the be-all and end-all for me. It is a great starting point though.

Not true, for Sweethome or Wirecutter.

I mostly know because I've been using Wirecutter for a year now and am an Amazon whore, so I get frustrated when what they recommend isn't available on Amazon :p They refer to Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, LL Bean, etc.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I've tried multiple foams and I didn't like them. Last one I tried was Tuft&Needle and it just didn't provide enough support for me. I eventually just got a cheap very firm mattress and a nice pillowtop/gel-foam mattress topper and it's the best bed I've ever had. Only cost me like $350 total too.

I actually bought the LED light bulbs they recommended a while back, and they weren't available on Amazon. Had to go to Home Depot to get them. And I bought the towels they recommended, which were at BB&B.

giga

What does foundation support refer to? The hard mattress underneath it? (like spring mattresses have the second mattress underneath)?
Yes, the bottom. Most recommend a flat surface or slats. Don't use box spring with foam mattresses.

Have you tested all of these mattresses?

No. But I work in advertising for a bedding company, have negotiated with a couple companies that manufacture mattresses like these and know that the makeup of these beds in a box are typically cheap foams with high fail-rates over a couple years.

I've personally had a Tempurpedic Advantage bed for around 10 years and it's never changed consistency and still feels great. I've recently replaced it with an Octaspring, which is also nice but I don't think they allow for direct shipping.

I have heard good things from other vendors about Purple mattresses, if you're looking for something that's not too pricey.

Schrade

Just a question about foundations in general. Are they only there to raise you up to a level that you can sit on the bed and also be able to put the bed on a rolling framework?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just a question about foundations in general. Are they only there to raise you up to a level that you can sit on the bed and also be able to put the bed on a rolling framework?
The idea with foam mattresses is that you want to have a flat, solid base under the bed. That's basically all it is for. You can use them on a platform bed or on a normal foundation/frame. I got a (low profile) foundation and a $50 frame for my Casper since it would be easiest to move.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've needed a new bed for years, and this thread reminded me of foam mattresses. Thanks for the recommendations!

My Tuft and Needle is arriving Monday. They say it only needs 3 hours to expand so I'll unpack it when I get home from work and sleep on it later that night. Hoping for the best.

nbcjr

Is there any full mattress that would fit this airline checked baggage Allowance :

Maximum Weight of each piece: 32 kg /71 lb each
Maximum Dimensions: 158 cm / 62 in (length + width + height)

I would really want to buy one in the US and bring it to my country.

How is the mattress?

I got a flat on my way home from the dentist on Monday (great night haha) so I ended up getting home too late to unpack it that evening. However I did unpack it yesterday so I've only had a single night on it so far. Not nearly enough for a solid opinion, but I'll give you first impressions.

Of course it's way better than my previous cheap foam mattress that had cratered in the middle after only 8 months. It's a firm bed, but it gets its firmness from the inside layer. It's surprisingly soft and springy on the very top with a harder layer of foam underneath that. Barely had any foam smell when I unpacked it, expanded fast and well.

I tend to shift a lot when I sleep and I end up in just about every sleeping position possible, so while I was on my side it felt a little too firm on my hip. That's to be expected as this is a firm mattress meant more for back sleepers. I put an extra layer of squish on top (plush mattress topper) which T&N recommends if you want a little extra and that's all it took to make it perfect for me in all positions, back, side and stomach. Feels really good.

It doesnt sag or droop at the edges at all which is cool. Didn't feel like I was falling over when I was putting on my socks.
Overall I'm quite pleased with my first night. My girlfriend tried it out for a few minutes and liked it a lot, she just laid there smiling and didnt want to get up haha

If you're a proper back sleeper who likes firmer beds then I think it's a really good choice. If you're a peasant side sleeper like I often am, it's still a solid mattress, you just might want a topper to take the edge off.

Thumbs up.

lenovox1

So what are the advantages of a foam mattress? Or is it just down to personal preference?

These are basically mattresses in a box or crate that unpack so to speak once the box is opened. It makes buying online and shipping a mattress feasible.

Priz

I had replaced my mattress on a July 4th sale in 2014. Seemed like a good deal, I wanted something comfortable similar to the ones I've slept on at nicer hotels in Vegas where I can sleep in any position, no matter what. For some odd reason on my previous mattress and that one, I could NOT fall asleep on my back. I could lay there for hours and... nothing. Good hotel mattress? Boom. Asleep within minutes. These? nope. I mainly only fall asleep on my stomach and sometimes my sides but that's rare. So it was a nice bed just... it was lacking.

So I've been looking at all these beds and was tempted by the Casper but after much reading I learned about the Leesa and how it fared compared to the others. I became really tempted and their black Friday special ($75 off + $50 Target eGiftCard) pushed me to buy one. Took a little getting used to and for some weird reason for a while there I could only fall asleep on my back as it was awkward being on my stomach. After a few months I can now sleep in literally any position (side/back/stomach), fall asleep instantly. Times when I've had back or other pains when I go to sleep wake up feeling MUCH better...

So with the mattress I bought on the 4th of July sale, I received a low profile box spring which I kept for the Leesa. It's not even 2 years old and it creaks like crazy. Great mattress though, highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom