• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkimoe

i got one of these a few months ago. Is there a better driver for the qnix? It has one installed, but i feel like it needs a better one sometimes? (yes im crazy)

insane monitor btw for anyone wanting one. I got a 19 inch samsung sitting next to it for 2 monitor setup. its ridiculous how much brighter the colors are on this baby, the samsung looks all grey and nasty compared to it

Spartacus

Just received it and installed it today.

I should have done this a long time ago.... The screen is incredible. The size, sharpness and colours are so much better then my previous screen.

This is definitely the best purchase this year so far.

Delivery was extremely fast as well. Ordered it at the end of Thursday and it arrived on Monday morning. From Korea to the Netherlands in less then 4 days. We really live in the future.

potam

Banned
Just received it and installed it today.

I should have done this a long time ago.... The screen is incredible. The size, sharpness and colours are so much better then my previous screen.

This is definitely the best purchase this year so far.

Delivery was extremely fast as well. Ordered it at the end of Thursday and it arrived on Monday morning. From Korea to the Netherlands in less then 4 days. We really live in the future.

Seriously. I'd rank these monitors up there with SSDs, as far as upgrades that make you wonder what the fuck you were doing before.

rsam87

I figure I would post here to ask a question if anyone else has OC'd their monitor.

I've OC'd my monitor to 96 100 and 110 hz but there's still really faint problem. At any of these hz profiles I get very very small vertical lines, very faint, but they're there. I'm not sure if they're scanlines or not but it's noticeable enough that it bothers me. Does anyone know how to fix this?

decaf

Spartacus

Thanks for the link - just received it! How does one turn down the brightness? Bright / Cont is greyed out for me in RGB mode. Also wondering where the volume controls for HDMI are (I know, I shouldn't use it - it's just a stop-gap for the moment). Have you overclocked yours?

I had some issues with this as well. Played around with it and suddenly the options were available. I think it has something to do with the auto contrast, you should turn that off. It is really annoying when gaming of watching a video and gives you more control over the picture quality.

I haven't over-clocked the screen. As far as i know this is only possible with the dvi only model. The models with more input channels use a different board that cannot be over-clocked. I choose this model because i connect different machines to the monitor. (desktop(dvi), laptop1(dp),laptop2(vga).

About the volume control, i have no idea either, haven't used the speakers at all.

My QX2710 has started to get some image retention when a static screen is left on for awhile. It goes away eventually when something else is on the screen, but it is still annoying. Does anyone else get this?

My QX2710 has started to get some image retention when a static screen is left on for awhile. It goes away eventually when something else is on the screen, but it is still annoying. Does anyone else get this?

IPS is more prone to retention than other types. Just put a pure white screen up every once in a while for a hour or 2, and that should help (I think).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Has anyone here or know someone who has bought a Nixeus 1440p IPS? Supposedly they use A/A+ instead of the A- or lower Korean panels.

Deku Tree

Great thread!

Myself, I choose to take the plunge on a Dell u2713hm instead because (1) it had a good warranty, (2) it had monitor port input instead of just dual link DVI (3) it came with a USB 3.0 hub and (4) I was able to order it through my job. (My job wouldn't purchase through ebay.)

It's nice to have options like these!

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
GAF, if I could get them for the same price, would a Catleap Q270 2b or a QNIX QX2710 Evolution II be better? The Catleap is used but is obviously more reliably overclockable to 120Hz. As far as I'm aware, the QNIX is a newer model but that obviously doesn't mean better.

Many thanks

VoxPop

Just curious if anyone has come across a cheap 21:9 "korean monitor"? I mean if we can get cheap 27" 2560 x 1440, why not 2560x1080 or 3440x1440.

Edit: They do exist, just not 3440x1440 yet...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-WASABI-...8472?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20e27fa098
Never heard of WASABI MANGO, but at least they are starting to appear.

They have the lesser brother of the LG 34UM95 at my local MicroCenter.

the 29" 2560x1080 21:9 one. $399 last time i saw it. No point in going for an obscure brand and dealing with shipping overseas.

Welp. My Shimian monitor stopped working.

I really hope it's just the AC adapter...

Out of the blue or didn't pop back on after sleeping? My prayers are with you. Mine has 20+ dead pixels and bleeds like a sieve around the bottom but it is still going strong
*knock on wood*

Out of the blue or didn't pop back on after sleeping? My prayers are with you. Mine has 20+ dead pixels and bleeds like a sieve around the bottom but it is still going strong
*knock on wood*

Out of the blue.

I took it to my office for an extra monitor, came back home and plugged it in and nothing...

I just got it 5 months ago :(

SummitAve

Banned
Just got my Qnix QX2710 from Amazon hooked up, and I love it! No dead pixels, and a little bit of back light bleed towards the bottom right that's barely noticeable, but I plan on doing the tape fix when I get a new stand anyways.

Anyone have any experience changing out the power brick for their monitor?

I don't know what to buy, but I'm pretty sure mine is fucked up

My old one is
Input: 110-240V 1.5A
Output: 24V - 5A

I tried taking my brick to Radio Shack but they couldn't help me

ameratsu

Anyone have any experience changing out the power brick for their monitor?

I don't know what to buy, but I'm pretty sure mine is fucked up

My old one is
Input: 110-240V 1.5A
Output: 24V - 5A

I tried taking my brick to Radio Shack but they couldn't help me

How about this?

There are a ton of options on newegg. Just search "power adapter lcd monitor" and i'm sure you can find something.

I don't know what kind of specs I'm supposed to be looking at

Just the output? Input? Both? Everything?

Also I don't know what kind of plug I have is called

I'm considering buying one of these monitors, but I'm not sure if it's right for my situation. I'm going to be gaming on a PC powered by a 750ti and with a ps4.

As I understand it, most of these monitors don't have a scaler so the ps4 play would be iffy. And with the power level of the 750ti, playing at 1440p might require too many graphics and frame rate sacrifices.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone had their plug spark when you first plug it into the monitor?

Should I get the monitor replaced...? I just got a new adapter from them but idk if that's something I should be concerned about

Water

I'm considering buying one of these monitors, but I'm not sure if it's right for my situation. I'm going to be gaming on a PC powered by a 750ti and with a ps4.

As I understand it, most of these monitors don't have a scaler so the ps4 play would be iffy. And with the power level of the 750ti, playing at 1440p might require too many graphics and frame rate sacrifices.

What do you guys think?
The 750 Ti is well out of its league at resolutions above 1080p. Even if the display happened to have a scaler, the 1080p output from your PS4 would look worse stretched to 1440p than when viewed from a native 1080p display. I'm not seeing an upside here. If you want more screen space for desktop work, maybe best get a second display beside a 1080p one.

I'm looking to order one of these monitors when I get my next pay and was wondering if there are any that are recommended over others. I was thinking of going with the Crossover 27q but I've heard that Qnix is another good brand and I'm not sure what to get. If there are differences between the brands like stand quality, and backlight bleeding and general colour quality then that would be nice to know. I've also heard that certain ones can be overclocked to use higher refresh rates but I'm not sure if I really care about that.

I've got a QNIX qx2710. Great monitor, but the stand is horrid. Anybody got any suggestions for "stabilizing" it? Every time I bump my desk in the slightest the entire monitor starts to wobble around. It's better since I got a new desk, but still kind of annoying.

From doing a little research, it seems the Samsung PLS panels are the best way to go with these monitors. Are there any that have both the PLS display and HDMI?

I'm running a laptop setup (w/ on board Radeon 7730m -- not for gaming) and I'd like to ensure it would be compatible with my Graphics card.

Thanks!

2AdEPT

From doing a little research, it seems the Samsung PLS panels are the best way to go with these monitors. Are there any that have both the PLS display and HDMI?

I'm running a laptop setup (w/ on board Radeon 7730m -- not for gaming) and I'd like to ensure it would be compatible with my Graphics card.

Thanks!

http://www.2560x1440monitor.com/

I have two koreans, the 2nd and latter is from above...I ensured I got an "AD BOARD" type so that HDMI could be used. I have heard that PLS is the better of the two, but I was less concerned about that when the Ad board type necessity started limiting my options...that said you should be able to fond what you are looking for on this site.

Shipped in 5 days...no dead pixels, minor bleed. (you have option to pay $40 to ensure you dont get dead pixels...cant recall if I paid or not...probably not as I have bought two now with no pixel problems.)

both monitors I have are absolutely magnificent and cant believe this has not caught on more...$300 is such a steal.

TrounceX

should I get a QNIX or an ASUS VG248QE?

I have an Achieva 27 and also that particular ASUS.

On the Asus, the picture quality is honestly horrendous compared to the Achieva. This is not hyperbole, it is terrible. I'm looking at them both side by side now and the colors are super washed out and the contrast is pitiful. You need a special ICC profile to make it look acceptable on a PC, but even that comes with caveats (crushed blacks in particular). That lightboost mode everyone is so high on? That makes the colors and contrast even worse somehow.

I only use the Asus now for console gaming because of the low response time, or when I have a PC game that can be pushed to 120fps and be worth it.

The Achieva is much better for daily desktop use and PC gaming if you have a rig that can push 1440p consistently. Don't worry about the response times, it's barely noticeable unless your playing super twitch fps games.

Audioboxer

Bumping a bit of an old topic, but I've just picked up a 27WQ HDMI DP. Nice quality monitor screen, crap stand. Will be replacing it with a vesa stand.

Paid £239 for it on Ebay. Didn't bother going for pixel perfect and I've lucked out anyway!

2AdEPT

Are these worth getting for photography or am I better off getting something else?

These are ideal for photography....the only limitaiton that doesnt necessarily make them the best on the market for gaming is the sometimes higher response time...but unless you are a competitive gamer this wont matter. I dont know much about 4k other than it is overpriced at the moment and the cheapest you will find is twice what you would pay for 2560. Your photos will never look better on a computer screen period as far as sharpness, depth of colour and contrast, you will get the same quality IPS screen that your phone has spread over 27 inces of real estate....so just imagein eyour phone colour and imagine that 27" to determine the quality.....and you will be able to fit twice as much on your display as you used to as they are 1440 P. I have two so that means if I edit videos or music I have 4 times as much space as usual.

I cant prove to anyone in this thread that I am not a hyperbolistic person, so you just have to trust me...these monitors are incredibly good value and have the same screens as the $1000 models in America. They have crap stands and korean on screen menu...but who cares, its the screen that you are buying for 70% off. Follow the advice of others in the thread to limit chances of bad pixels or excessive bleed. Many void their warranty and fix possible bleed via online video tutorial...I have a little but it is only noticable with a black screen in which case I am not looking at it anyway, so it doesnt bother me.Make sure you get ad board type if you want to plug in HDMI (you can still use a DVI-HDMI converter even if your monitor has no hdmi inputs as long as its an ad board panel.)

2AdEPT

apologies, as I said, I have not had much experience with 4k although I have heard that the jump from 1080 to 1140 is more noticeable than from 1440 to the new 4k models.

I also dont know what the other fellow was talking about with regard to sRGB so perhaps when you say for photography, I dont know finer details of the trade and what you want to do. But based on the stuff you posted, it appears you still will be paying double for a 4k IPS at 27". I would suggest that two Korean 1440 27" will blow your mind as far as space is concerned, vs. just one 4k, but that's all I can really speak about, as although I do video editing and music production with huge DAW programs, and love the space (use the second monitor for previewing etc.) I may not know about the finer points of photography or what you specifically are looking for.

After delaying my previous almost purchase for reasons, I pulled the trigger on a pair of QNIX QX2710s from MNW earlier today.

Nice, as long as your video card has two DVi-D outputs you should be ok..my qnix 2700 did not support hdmi so my second one was an ad-board type that can go through the hdmi (even though it has to be converted with a DVI adapter it still works where it wouldnt on my non- adboard qnix.) I just plug my qnix into the DVI-D slot and the achieva shimian into the hdmi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom