• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
+shipping. All the others include the shipping in the price.

oh good catch. thanks.

edit: i was paying attention to the shipping before, i dont know how i missed it for that one.

edit edit: k im gettin the greensum achieva. so excite!

edit edit edit: BOUGHT! thanks for all your help in this thread trounce!

wwlnd

Banned
anyone try this to fix backlight bleed (qh 270 lite)? just tried it and it fixed bleeding at the top dramatically, but there's still some at the bottom. maybe i'll try loosening up the additional screws a bit another day. right now all the additional screws are all very tight.

TrounceX

oh good catch. thanks.

edit: i was paying attention to the shipping before, i dont know how i missed it for that one.

edit edit: k im gettin the greensum achieva. so excite!

edit edit edit: BOUGHT! thanks for all your help in this thread trounce!

Haha no problem man.

You're going to be blown away by this monitor, I guarantee it.

All that's left is to wait and hope that everything goes smoothly with the shipping, and there aren't any serious defects. I think you'll be fine though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
SHIMIAN REPORT:

In Canada

$45 in duty (expected)

total cost: ~$345

RESULT:

2560 X 1440 S-IPS 27" monitor in working order with what appears to be NO DEAD PIXELS! WHOOO!

FANTASTIC COLOURS

I LOVE THE TEXTURE OF THE SCREEN. ITS NOT MATTE, ITS NOT GLOSSY, ITS SOME KIND OF AWESOME CLASSY IN-BETWEEN.

unexpected plus: my mouse feels more sensitive, presumably because there's more pixels for it to point to :]

im off to find some 2560 x 1440 backgrounds and play some starcraft 2

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!

20120919_201608_zps555c6294.jpg

edit: also note that the sublime 2 text editor in the picture does NOT have a black background but a dark grey background as shown. i repeat, the colors are faaaantaastic~ :]

edit edit: there's blacklight bleed but it's no biggie. everything else is just toooo amazing.

Lucis

I want to get some VESA mount for this thing, the stand is def not good enough ;/

Anyone have experience with this?

crustikid

Just want to thank Coolio and everyone in this thread for your help. The overclock.net had a ton of info on these monitors as well (if youre super ify about the purchase go there), but the mentality to spend as little as possible isn't something I do very well. Anyway, I pulled the trigger on the ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite 27" from Green-sum on eBay. About five years ago I took an ultra splurge on a NEC 2690 1920x1200 ($1600). It was amazing at the time, but it has aged, as all tech does, and at 26.5" I had to ask myself why wouldn't I jump on the Shimian? It's a no brainer to me. I was looking into 23" LED e-IPS monitors which are indeed a lesser panel, and those were already priced at $250 before tax.

$300 with shipping included? I have to say, I am so-so-so happy with the purchase.

The only drawbacks/nit-picks: (1) the stand IS flimsy. When I rest my forearms on my also flimsy desk (container store shelf/desk hybrid), the thing shakes a little, (2) backlight bleed IS there, but the sellers give you fair warning. Since the monitor is 16:9 the backlight bleed won't ever bother me like it would on a 16:10 when I am viewing movies. Arguably, you'd still view 2.35:1 movies on this thing, but more often than not, you'll be watching web based stuff in 16:9.

This is a minimalists perfect monitor for a max/min perspective. This was totally not intentional, but it meshes really well with my Corsair 600T white case /grin

MrBig

Just want to confirm, these monitors will only output in 2560x1440 resolution?

The base models only have a DL-DVI connection with no scalar and anything outputting less than 2560x1440 will be rendered at that resolution, mapped to correct pixels without any stretching like TVs do.

There are models with HDMI and Display Port connections with a scalar that will stretch <1440p content over the full panel.

tokkun

The base models only have a DL-DVI connection with no scalar and anything outputting less than 2560x1440 will be rendered at that resolution, mapped to correct pixels without any stretching like TVs do.

It's somewhat more complicated than that. The behavior depends on the revision of the electronics, which is not something that gets advertised in these listings and generally not something sellers will guarantee you.

Some revisions will not display other resolutions than 2560x1440 at all. Others will scale 1280x720 up, but not other resolutions.

I would only make the assumption of 2560x1440 if you're getting one of the DVI-only models and just consider any additional resolution support to be not guaranteed.

MrBig

It's somewhat more complicated than that. The behavior depends on the revision of the electronics, which is not something that gets advertised in these listings and generally not something sellers will guarantee you.

Some revisions will not display other resolutions than 2560x1440 at all. Others will scale 1280x720 up, but not other resolutions.

I would only make the assumption of 2560x1440 if you're getting one of the DVI-only models and just consider any additional resolution support to be not guaranteed.

I wasn't aware of this, do you have any sources?

I've seen multiple people talk about outputting their cable box and consoles to theirs on OCN. Haven't tried anything other than my PC myself.

There are models with HDMI and Display Port connections with a scalar that will stretch <1440p content over the full panel.

Thanks! I guess I'll have to spring for the more expensive model if I want to be able to plug anything else in.

shira

SHIMIAN REPORT:

In Canada

$45 in duty (expected)

RESULT:

2560 X 1440 S-IPS 27" monitor in working order with what appears to be NO DEAD PIXELS! WHOOO!

FANTASTIC COLOURS

I LOVE THE TEXTURE OF THE SCREEN. ITS NOT MATTE, ITS NOT GLOSSY, ITS SOME KIND OF AWESOME CLASSY IN-BETWEEN.

unexpected plus: my mouse feels more sensitive, presumably because there's more pixels for it to point to :]

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/COORIO/20120919_201608_zps555c6294.jpg[/IM]

edit: also note that the sublime 2 text editor in the picture does NOT have a black background but a dark grey background as shown. i repeat, the colors are faaaantaastic~ :]

edit edit: there's blacklight bleed but it's no biggie. everything else is just toooo amazing.[/QUOTE]

So what is the consensus after gaming and use?

Very interested in how they work with non 2560x1440 applications - if at all?
Does video/HD video look not as sharp

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So what is the consensus after gaming and use?

Very interested in how they work with non 2560x1440 applications - if at all?
Does video/HD video look not as sharp

Starcraft looks amazing. 1080 youtube looks about as sharp as it did before but with slightly more aliasing, 720 looks better than it did before (perfect scale up).

actually that 720 thing is just an assumption, i havent really noticed a difference but im sure it's true.

wwlnd

Banned
720 looks better than it did before (perfect scale up).
do you mean mapping every pixel to a square of four identical pixels (nearest neighbour scaling) by perfect scale up?

if you did, conventional scaling algorithms that use interpolation look better than nearest neighbour for most real world content, imo.

exmaple: 4x upscale

i'm not 100% sure about this, but i have a feeling that interpolation scaling algorithms generally don't perform any better on "round" (eg 2x) upscale factors than on non-round ones.

tokkun

I wasn't aware of this, do you have any sources?

I've seen multiple people talk about outputting their cable box and consoles to theirs on OCN. Haven't tried anything other than my PC myself.

I don't have a source to link, but I can be a little more specific about the things I've heard from multiple owners. The famous revision 2B (i.e. the one that can be overclocked) does not scale resolutions and that the 2C revision that came afterward added the ability to scale from 720p. Referring to the DVI-only versions in both cases.

I haven't really payed attention to whether there are any differences in the later revisions. If they have all maintained the same capabilities as the 2C, then you probably have a pretty good probability of getting that, as most sellers are charging a large premium for the 2B models. However, I wouldn't put it past them to switch to a new revision at any time that changed the scaling capabilities, since the DVI-only models do not generally advertise that they have that feature.

This site has a comparison of all the most well known models: http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/1...the-different-brands-and-models/#QH270-IPSMDP

Some of them have scalars, others don't. Another problem is controller lag,

This link is useful for getting the basics about the different models, but it could really stand to be updated. It was written in April, and some things have changed since then, particularly in relation to being able to buy overclocking models and the US companies like Auria, Nixeus, and Overlord.

shira

Starcraft looks amazing. 1080 youtube looks about as sharp as it did before but with slightly more aliasing, 720 looks better than it did before (perfect scale up).

actually that 720 thing is just an assumption, i havent really noticed a difference but im sure it's true.

I was interested in the Shiman model. But I have a lower end GPU GT240.

Does the Shiman allow different resolution - or is it one of the ones locked in at 2560x1440?

Which store did you use and how did you know the customs fee was?

grkazan12

SHIMIAN REPORT:

In Canada

$45 in duty (expected)

RESULT:

FANTASTIC COLOURS

Hey coolio, if you don't mind, what specific model Shimian (LITE,IPSB...) did you purchase?

shira

I'm interested in the recent IPS monitors announced by Viewsonic and AOC. What does GAF think of them? (the companies)
The Korean IPS ones are topnotch, same as the Apple 27" $1000 models
I'm not sure how anyone other company could undercut them in price/quality

Tess3ract

Banned
Meh...I want a high res monitor but I don't like 16:9 and their prevalence...

$300 for one owns, but it's a bummer it doesn't have vga or hdmi ports.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
do you mean mapping every pixel to a square of four identical pixels (nearest neighbour scaling) by perfect scale up?

if you did, conventional scaling algorithms that use interpolation look better than nearest neighbour for most real world content, imo.

exmaple: 4x upscale

i'm not 100% sure about this, but i have a feeling that interpolation scaling algorithms generally don't perform any better on "round" (eg 2x) upscale factors than on non-round ones.

oh damn, well either way 720 still looks good and 1080 still looks much better, but 1080 is no longer a native fit at 1440 and i thiiiiiink it shows a little on the youtube player.

coldfoot

Banned
It preserves the original image perfectly and is better than any other algorithm which will ruin the originality of the image. If you're bothered by aliasing, apply a filter AFTER scaling the image.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Get the HP zr2740w if you want the anti-glare coated version.

Holy shit at the lack of calibration options on that monitor.

Calmine

Calmine

Overclocking.....your monitor?? What am I reading

Yeah, I've been looking into this on some places and the Catleap monitors have been known to be overclockable to allow a possible 120Hz refresh rate. It is however very big pop luck which is why I may not justify the extra price for a Catleap.

tokkun

So basically my choice is either down to the Catleap or Achieva. Looking at ordering from Greensum.

Does the price difference make the difference, I mean I know Catleaps are the one's known to be overclockable but by now is it worth it? Still is likely pop luck but worth the extra £60/$90?

Here's the links.

Achieva

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ACHIE...1502?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c2b76aa9e

Catleap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-YAMAK...0221?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20c4a6829d

I wouldn't bother trying to get an overclockable monitor through luck of the draw, the odds are very low. For the auction you linked, I'd say the odds are virtually zero since green-sum sells the overclockable Catleaps through 120hz.net for $550.

If you want one that overclocks, buy it from 120hz.net or Overlord Computer, though they don't always have stock.

Calmine

I wouldn't bother trying to get an overclockable monitor through luck of the draw, the odds are very low. For the auction you linked, I'd say the odds are virtually zero since green-sum sells the overclockable Catleaps through 120hz.net for $550.

If you want one that overclocks, buy it from 120hz.net or Overlord Computer, though they don't always have stock.

$550 is crazy price. Might as well go for the Achieva then. Overall from what I've read and heard they're one of the better choices. Just found a Pixel Perfect model from Greensun for the Achieva same price as a standard Catleap.

Is there any other trusted sellers other than Greensum that might have better deals?

mf.luder

I've been looking to upgrade my hackintosh to the Thunderbolt Display but the cost definitely deterred me. This is exactly what I want. I'll be ordering one once I get back to Ontario. Any one use these monitors with a hackintosh?

MrBig

I've been looking to upgrade my hackintosh to the Thunderbolt Display but the cost definitely deterred me. This is exactly what I want. I'll be ordering one once I get back to Ontario. Any one use these monitors with a hackintosh?

These panels are the same ones that are in the Thunderbolt/Cinema Apple displays so it should be exactly like having one of those for Mac. There is no thunderbolt model so you will need to use a DL-DVI or Display Port (only on some models) connection

mf.luder

These panels are the same ones that are in the Thunderbolt/Cinema Apple displays so it should be exactly like having one of those for Mac. There is no thunderbolt model so you will need to use a DL-DVI or Display Port (only on some models) connection

That is awesomeness. Cannot wait for it to arrive.

Calmine

Alright, I did it. I took the plunge. I sold my old monitor for £130 on ebay and bought the Achieva monitor. Just under £200. So thank Mr buyer of my old monitor you paid majority of the new one. Got a new desk on the way as well so as of next week things well be all good. 27" 2560 x 1440 awesomeness. I've opted for a non-pixel perfect model as me thinks at the price I can live with 1 or 2 dead pixels (if there is any) and plus it was an extra £60 just for someone check it; not worth it.

Gav47

So I want to connect my PS3 and 360 up to my 27Q, what's the best way to get sound out of each console? I'll use a HDMI to DVI for video but should I use the composite cable (I'll have to buy a new 360 cable as the one that came with my slim has a nice big chunk of plastic that deliberately covers the HDMI port) or should I get a USB powered DAC and use the optical audio?

Ordered the Shimian QH270 today after spending the better part of yesterday poring over Newegg...I'd be spending at least $500 more for something comparable if I bought one domestically. I can live with a few dead pixels if it comes to that, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Is everybody's monitors still running strong?

MrBig

Ordered the Shimian QH270 today after spending the better part of yesterday poring over Newegg...I'd be spending at least $500 more for something comparable if I bought one domestically. I can live with a few dead pixels if it comes to that, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Is everybody's monitors still running strong?

~5 months in and going strong. I finally noticed a dead pixel about a month ago, though :(

coldfoot

Banned
Despite Sandy taking down 3 100ft trees right in front of my building and blocking the one major road in my borough, UPS came and delivered my Overlord X270ME, pixel perfect version, on Wednesday, while the overpaid lazy public workers still had not touched any of the trees yet. Hooked it up to my Macbook Air with a 3ft MiniDP to DP cable, and it's glorious. The resolution really makes it incredible.

Had to turn down brightness to 10% though, any more makes it way too bright.

I'm glad I found this thread, I'm currently making a decision on buying a 27" monitor. At first I had a Dell or Samsung in mind, but then I discovered these Korean monitors wich are €300 cheaper.

Will the power plug work in western Europe? Which monitor does GAF prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom