• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Xv2MYHe.png

That's awesome, nice dig at the white and gold people ;)

PS Australia wins the internet :D

Zoe

The people seeing (dark) blue and black are the ones experiencing the optical illusion. Your brain knows that's what it is despite evidence from color pickers, so that's what you see.

People seeing (tinted blue) white and gold are seeing the picture at face value without any interpretation.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think everyone is crazy.

I'm red/green color blind, and I see this as light blue, with a light brown / gold at the top, with dark brown at the bottom...exactly what Photoshop proves it to be.

The people seeing (dark) blue and black are the ones experiencing the optical illusion. Your brain knows that's what it is despite evidence from color pickers, so that's what you see.

People seeing (tinted blue) white and gold are seeing the picture at face value without any interpretation.

Both white/gold and blue/black are seeing an optical illusion. There is a lot of blue in there...it's not just a minor tint.

msv

I see black and blue for both of these images, the one on the right is just overexposed.

I saw white and gold about half an hour ago pm the OP.
Yeah, now you're just seeing things. Pipet the white (or in your case blue) colors, there's really no discernible blue tint anymore (more green in places than blue, often less blue than green/red as well).

BadHand

I see white and gold, my wife sees blue and black and both my kids (6, 4), both asked seperatley say they see blue and gold.

what is this sorcery?!

jmdajr

I can see the white change to a light blue but I can't see black at all. I can see a dark brown but I can't see it turn black.

There is no black in that picture. At most parts might be dark grey.

It's all eye fuckery compared to what the real color values are in the photo.

msv

We have identified a weakness in the general population, and white/gold people must be weeded out so as to not endanger the rest of us.
I'm curious though, do people who only see black/blue, see the blue as a really dark blue or a light blue?

We have identified a weakness in the general population, and white/gold people must be weeded out so as to not endanger the rest of us.

Like I said earlier, this is how wars start. When two sides see things completely differently.

WWIII will be the war over TheDress.

cajunator

Banned
Even when I try to force my brain into thinking its just a bluish light reflection, I still cant see the dress as white. It just wont happen. Not even turning up the brightness of my monitor. Still seeing blue.

TheExodu5

Banned
I should note that I'm really sensitive to blue tint. It drives me nuts that most TV's and screens are usually pretty heavily blue tinted to make them seem more white.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
i saw white/gold on several different monitors and devices with different settings both last evening and earlier today, but when I unlocked my phone just now I had the picture up and now it's switched, and all I can see is black/blue. It feels like a fucking prank. (60+ pages of this type of reply, fucking deal with it)

woah, when I first looked at it, I saw white and gold, I scrolled down to read a few comments, then scrolled back up and it was blue and black.

and i'm not on mushrooms.
That's happened a lot. I think it's because the overexposed black is really overexposed at the top, and less so at the bottom. Which direction you approach the image from affects how you perceive it. I did exactly the same thing.

Flo_Evans

Nope. It just means your eyes just missed calibration on the image. That image specifically somehow really fools the eyes into subtracting the wrong colors.

Ok well at least my eyes are calibrated correctly.

Being a photographer it would suck to not be able to see colors right.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm curious though, do people who only see black/blue, see the blue as a really dark blue or a light blue?

It's sky blue, not dark and not remotely white.

The 'black' is brown at the top changing to a blackish brown at the bottom.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wow, two ended dildos come with a lot of buttons these days, must have been tested by Kaz himself.

Is this the first time you're seeing the DS4? This joke seems like it's a couple years too late...

I see it as a little bit of a lighter version of royal blue.

I find this kind of stuff fascinating and I'm having a riot asking what my friends and relatives think, but good god some people are being hostile about this thing.

Opiate

The lesson here should be that your eyes are imperfect squishy little devices which malfunction all the time.

People who say "seeing is believing?" No. This is where UFOs and Big Foot come from: people who honestly, genuinely believe they saw something, when the reality is their eyes are evil, naughty liars. And yours are, too.

Costia

It's white and gold.
The issue is mixed light sources.
The outside of the store is in the sun, the inside is in the shade. Sunlight color temperature is 5200, shade is 9000 (bluer).
So you have to choose. You can adjust the white balance for the sun and the outside will be correct but the inside will look bluish. Or you can adjust it for the inside and then the inside will be correct but the outside will look yellowish.

In the XKCD image the dress looks white/gold on the blue background - it's the opposite of what is seen here. In the image the dress looks white and gold on a yellow background, not blue.

Another thing is that ,if anything, the image is underexposed for the inside of the store and the color that is supposed to be black still isn't black - it's definitely brighter.

Timeaisis

Well this blew the fuck up overnight. I went home, showed this thread to my wife, and within a couple of hours everyone on the internet was talking about it.

Well I'm glad I'm not colorblind...

wait are you colorblind if you see blue/black or white/gold?

No, it has nothing to do with colorblindness. I am red-green colorblind and see white and gold. However, many non-colorblind people see white and gold as well.

Arcadius

Banned
Even when I try to force my brain into thinking its just a bluish light reflection, I still cant see the dress as white. It just wont happen. Not even turning up the brightness of my monitor. Still seeing blue.

Turning it down might instigate your eyes to see white instead of blue; you have it mixed up.

yogloo

The lesson here should be that your eyes are imperfect squishy little devices which malfunction all the time.

People who say "seeing is believing?" No. This is where UFOs and Big Foot come from: people who honestly, genuinely believe they saw something, when the reality is their eyes are evil, naughty liars. And yours are, too.
You can't prove big foot doesn't exist!!
#teambluegold

Vision is mostly a function of the BRAIN. The processing of the signals coming from your eye receptors is made in areas of the brain and the 'algorithms' are not always consistent and can be manipulated by the setting and even your expectations, so your results may differ from time to time and between individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom