• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadius

Banned
I read the explanation in the OP and it makes sense reading that.... but when I use the color picker in PS it says the dark area is brownish/gold. That's the picture I see.

I can see the dark dress if I turn my phone and look at an extreme angle though.

Right, because of how our eyes can interpret colors, you may see the brownish/gold as darker than it really is.

There is a picture of a multi-colored cube with a shadow somewhere in this thread. The center of each face is brown, but the center in the shadow appears orange/yellow, even though in PS or whatever picks it as brown. Because of the shadow our eyes/brain instantly assume it has to be a different color, even if it's not. Same logic with the checkerboard test and shadow and with this picture.

jmdajr

PBF020-Skub.gif

in my case, I think it is the exposure to natural light vs artifical light.

it is day light, blue sky, I sit next to a window and the natural light is brighter than all other sources of light in the office now.

later this afternoon, the sun will be down and the artificial light will be dominant

I will come back to this every hour and check to see if natural light vs artificial light is the factor

kamakazi5

here is an example for my previous post:
A photo of a white shirt.
In the first half the white balance is adjusted for the sun and the part in the shade looks blue (like the dress in the original image)
In the second half the photo is adjusted for the shade - and now the color looks correctly colorless in the shade, while the part in the sun becomes yellowish.
This is exactly what is happening in the dress image. The original is adjusted for the sun white balance which makes the dress in the shade look blueish. When the white balance is corrected for the shade the dress looks correctly as white and gold (just like the shirt in the shade looked correctly colorless), while the outside becomes incorrectly yellowish.

I understand where this is coming from but how does it explain people looking at the exact same image on the same screen and seeing completely different things? Or people who see both at different times? I know that in the good photo the dress is black and blue but the original picture is still white and gold. My eyes are terrible but even with glasses on it looks white and gold.

Edit: Lol, I was forgetting that It's essentially an optical illusion obviously not everyone's eyes are going to interpret it the same way. Carry on. I was getting caught up in the moment.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
White and gold if I look at I directly, but if I look away or look at my other monitor, it's black and blue in my peripheral vision. I have an astigmatism, so I could see why that would mess things up for me a little.

Caj814

I think I may have figured out one partial theory about the varying colors. Has anyone who mentioned seeing it as White and Gold been up for 8 hours or more? I think that anyone who has been awake longer are seeing that while people who woke up more recently are seeing Blue and Black.

Flo_Evans

here is an example for my previous post:
A photo of a white shirt.
In the first half the white balance is adjusted for the sun and the part in the shade looks blue (like the dress in the original image)
In the second half the photo is adjusted for the shade - and now the color looks correctly colorless in the shade, while the part in the sun becomes yellowish.
This is exactly what is happening in the dress image. The original is adjusted for the sun white balance which makes the dress in the shade look blueish. When the white balance is corrected for the shade the dress in the shade looks correctly as white and gold (just like the shirt in the shade looked correctly colorless), while the outside becomes incorrectly yellowish.

I think you are confused...

The dress is factually blue/black.

kamakazi5

I think I may have figured out one partial theory about the varying colors. Has anyone who mentioned seeing it as White and Gold been up for 8 hours or more? I think that anyone who has been awake longer are seeing that while people who woke up more recently are seeing Blue and Black.

This would be interesting to see. I've been up for 13 hours and see white/gold.

I first saw the dress as I was eating breakfast and saw it as white and gold. After scrolling down and back up I saw it correctly as blue and black and it's been that way ever since (more than 8 hours). Back to the drawing board!

I will have to test this daily for a week, every hour

I cannot let this go

3phemeral

I've been up for about 19 hours and I still see blue and black. There was a video posted earlier about the discrepancy being called "Color Constancy."

I woke up this morning and looked at it.
It was White and Gold.

It is now just past midnight and it is still White and Gold.

Pryce

I'm still very clearly seeing white and gold the vast, vast majority of the time.

I saw it last night and this morning, still white and gold.

I've seen it with bright lights and in a dark room.

I've seen it on my phone and my PC monitor.

I saw it black and blue like....twice now. Only for a split second each time.

Violet_0

Banned

I saw white/gold at first when I woke up (thought the blue tint was shadow), blue/gold for the rest of the day and never black no matter how often I look at the pic

Auctopus

People are getting quite hung up on trying to explain how it works, just enjoy it.

I've been seeing it through the media and on the internet all days and it's changed back for me more or less every time. It even happened between the switching off a tab at one point, haha.

Downhome

When I first saw the image this morning I only saw gold/white. I just came back to read more of this thread and decided to go back and look at the original image and now j can only see black/blue.

EDIT:

Now I only see it in gold/white again!!!

Theirs is witchcraft, case closed.

Lets just all agree that the photo is a space-time anomaly or a glitch in the matrix and if it's not dealt with everythings gonna implode/explode.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If you see more of a white (light blue) and gold.. squint a bit and you'll see more of a blue/black..

the factual colors have been shown.. but that's a horribly washed out picture.

Idontknow

Apparently, the actual dress is blue & black. But, the whole point of the OP photo of the dress is to see if you can see the illusion of it being white & gold. The question is, based on this photo, do you perceive this blue & black dress to be white(bluish) & gold? If you do. YOU WIN!

Violet_0

Banned
Apparently, the actual dress is blue & black. But, the whole point of the OP photo of the dress is to see if you can see the illusion of it being white & gold. The question is, based on this photo, do you perceive this blue & black dress to be white(bluish) & gold? If you do. YOU WIN!

those who see black are also fooled because there is no black either in the photo

Dominator

I think it is you are who is confused.
The dress on amazon is just a differently colored dress.
I haven't seen a single photo of that same dress yet.
No, it's definitely you who is confused lol. The dress is factually black and blue, the one in the picture that started this all. There have been other pictures in this very thread of the dress.

Flo_Evans

I think it is you are who is confused.
The dress on amazon is just a differently colored dress.
I haven't seen a single photo of that same dress yet.

No, you are basing your idea on the assumption that the dress is white...

There is a clear white/black pattern next to the dress, use that to color balance the image and it is obviously blue. There is yellow/gold highlights in the black areas but they are clearly black affected by a yellow incandescent light.

Popnbake

On multiple phones when my co-workers were all talking about it:
Blue and Black

On my computer monitor:
White and Gold

On my own phone:
Blue and Black

wut. . .

I saw the dress in the OP being white and gold yesterday.

Today I viewed the article and the dress was black and blue.

I opened this thread again and the OP's dress is now also black and blue.

...what's going on?!

Ruruja

black and blue, obviously black isn't jet black due to lighting and shit quality and has a goldish look, but ...

WHERE IS THE WHITE, YOU ABSOLUTE LUNATICS.

MikeyB

I really don't get how people are thinking this can be explained with how the photo is taken. The issue isn't even what colour the dress actually is, but how different people seeing the same thing see it differently.

Subjectivity of perception. Great. Can we post this image whenever people argue about game review objectivity and scores now?

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
It shifted to white/gold again for a brief minute. Are we sure this is not just a .gif?

cajunator

Banned
also if you look at black cars in harsh sunlight they can very much appear dark green or yellowish depending on lighting. Ive seen that particular effect before. Or better yet, take a black pencil and write something, then look at it in direct light. It will appear yellowish usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom