• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned
It's fucking white and gold you lying motherfuckers

The person who fixed the exposure makes it clear to be blue and black tho

Namikaze1

I asked my mom what she sees and she says she sees white and gold. Same with my brother. I'm the only who here who can see both and now I'm seeing black and blue more than white and gold.

Izuna

Banned
From what I understand, unless y'all have horrible colour settings on your computers (which may be causing it, different colour temperatures)...

People seeing slightly blue and gold are seeing the primary colours of the image, colours that when isolated are recorded. We can tell by the numbers when using the colour picker tool.

How can you see that kind of black when it obviously shouldn't be? No way it is supposed to be the people with better eyes seeing black.

This is what I see:

tJgvuW2.gif

After having the colors switch on me, this is the post that's freaking me out the most.

The first time I saw this, I thought "Wow, he must be trolling. Those are totally different colors. When you put them in a gif like that, it's obvious."

Now, the colors don't really change at all in the .gif.

Thanks for this illusion, OP. I'm a big fan.

Blizzard

Banned
This is what i'm seeing

I took your picture, picked one of the lighter black colors to give maximum benefit to comparison, and filled the left half of the screen with it. The right half is from the OP's picture, taking a darker color to try to find black.

dressqzk2j.png

That's direct hex colors from the image, dumped in a paint utility. Anyone can do this with Paint.NET, Photoshop, or whatever if you don't believe me. Does ANYONE see black on the right side of this image, or think these two colors look the same?

Sure, if you take a tiny splotch out, it no longer looks black. In the context of the photo, it looks like somewhat faded black fabric.
People are saying "black", not "somewhat faded black" which gets into gray territory. :p Maybe that's nitpicking but if people are going to go BLACK then I'm going to call shenanigans and point out the RGB values. I still find it hard to believe that the colors in my picture above could be seen as black, or even similar, no matter what colors are adjacent.

It may not be #000000 in the photo, but we can deduce that it's black by having seen black having light shined on it in various ways in other photos.
Saying one can "deduce that it's black" is different from saying one SEES it as black in my opinion.

Mr.Mike

I see white and gold. Tried it on my phone and still saw white and gold.

My dad does have some colourblindness (red/green I think?) so maybe my generics aren't the greatest in this regard.

Floridian

I took your picture, picked one of the lighter black colors to give maximum benefit to comparison, and filled the left half of the screen with it. The right half is from the OP's picture, taking a darker color to try to find black.

dressqzk2j.png

That's direct hex colors from the image, dumped in a paint utility. Anyone can do this with Paint.NET, Photoshop, or whatever if you don't believe me. Does ANYONE see black on the right side of this image, or think these two colors look the same?

The left image I see is black. The right image is completely brown.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't think anyone here sees it as pure black. They are simply saying they see a photo of a blue and black dress.
Maybe I spend too much time messing with images and RGB values then. I go by image colors to make sure the monitor or my eyes isn't messing with me. =P

People are saying "black", not "somewhat faded black" which gets into gray territory. :p Maybe that's nitpicking but if people are going to go BLACK then I'm going to call shenanigans and point out the RGB values. I still find it hard to believe that the colors in my picture above could be seen as black, or even similar, no matter what colors are adjacent.

When I say black, I mean it looks like black fabric in a very light setting or having light shown onto it. It's not a perfect black hex value in photoshop.

Blizzard

Banned
When I say black, I mean it looks like black fabric in a very light setting or having light shown onto it. It's not a perfect black hex value in photoshop.
Well that at least makes me feel better about people saying they saw black. I think that's why several people in this thread were confused about trying to find a black color in those parts of the fabric.

I tested it on my girlfriend. Asked her what the colors were before telling her what the options were. She saw black and blue.

Can someone show this to someone, but tell them it's white and gold (or blue and black) and don't give them the other option? I want to see how it's interpreted if you don't know what you're supposed to see.

Did the same thing. I just said 'what color is this dress', and she said black/blue (I'm in the gold/white camp). Showed her on my phone and computer and she said there's no way that's not blue/black

Mortemis

Banned
DAMMIT, I was just having this debate with my friends about this, I would guess GAF would be more on my side.

That shit is Black and blue.

Shit. I saw white and gold. Then I saw the color corrected one and saw it as black and blue. But after eating dinner, I now see white and gold again.

Ishida

Banned
From what I understand, unless y'all have horrible colour settings on your computers (which may be causing it, different colour temperatures)...

That's not it. I showed the picture to several people on the same screen, and they all gave different colors between gold/white and blue/purple and black.

EDIT:

Based on mood? That can't be right.

For the "white & gold" crew, is this something similar to what you're seeing? That's white & gold to me.

652c2b154720c549341c5fa1344a4f8f.jpg

This is what I see in a cool shadow. I suspect if the picture was of a snowman in that same room with the same light source he would have a slight blue tint to him as well.

Like the shadows in this pic.

ODBEqEEm.jpg

23qwerty

That's not it. I showed the picture to several people on the same screen, and they all gave different colors between gold/white and blue/purple and black.

guessing some said what the colours in the picture were, and some said what they think the dress looks like irl regardless of picture colour

People seeing slightly blue and gold are seeing the primary colours of the image, colours that when isolated are recorded. We can tell by the numbers when using the colour picker tool.

How can you see that kind of black when it obviously shouldn't be? No way it is supposed to be the people with better eyes seeing black.

i looked at it on three different screens (lcd monitor, plasma tv, and an iphone)

looks blue and black on all 3

some parts of the black look gold though, but the blue is really obviously blue

Darker

Banned

Makes sense. I've been seeing satanic faces and dripping blood on the dress and the girl in the background crawled out of the photo to try and murder me but that's because yesterday I watched a creepy video that said I'd die in 7 days so it's just my mood affecting the colours.

Ishida

Banned
guessing some said what the colours in the picture were, and some said what they think the dress looks like irl regardless of picture colour

No, no. We specifically stated which colors we saw in the picture, not trying to guess the "real colors" (I made clear that the picture was overexposed, and asked for "which colors do you SEE, not the ones you believe they are".)

Zaptruder

Banned
Monitor and room lighting calibration would play a big part in this 'test perception'.

Also I'd wager most 'white and gold' types aren't people that work with photoshop much. Or at least the curves tool.

I had to drag the curve up massively to see 'white and gold' (actually white and tan. Who the fuck sees gold in that?)

farisr

"White" (bluish greyish white reallt) and "gold" (greyish gold) here, and I see very well in dim lighting conditions.

Color picker shows "white" and "gold" in an isolated environment, so I'm perfectly happy with what my eyes and brain interprets that image to be. Doesn't matter if the real life dress is black and blue, my eyes are seeing exactly the info present in that image and that's all that matters.

I wonder if different brains prioritize the more brown-looking parts versus the more black-looking parts and then interpret that as the whole. I wish I could find good pictures of black fabric taking on that tone in certain kinds of lighting to put it more in perspective.

UFO

Banned
That's pretty crazy. When I came in I definitely saw gold/white, watched some TV, came back and nows its very much blue/black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom