• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II announced (Digital Extremes)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have not played The Darkness. Hows the PS3 version hold up?

-PXG-

DieH@rd said:
Cell shaded?

That's what I was about to say. It's gonna have Borderlands-esque art direction (minus the liney/ cross hatching pen effect)....Hmm....We'll have to see more to determine if that sort of style matches the kind of mood they're trying to convey.

DE ported the PS3 version of Bioshock 1. I believe they only did the MP for Bioshock 2 and had no, if not little, input on the singleplayer component.

Alastor

EatChildren said:
I have not played The Darkness. Hows the PS3 version hold up?

I bought, played and completed it and it's good looking and perfectly playable. X360 version is supposedly better but at the end of the day the experience is the same.

Well that's is a pleasant surprise, I thought this was shit canned for sure. The environment reminds me of Hitman Blood Money's Mardi Gras level, which is an excellent thing. Also, the art style is great, I won't exactly miss the vasoline covered look of the first game. Looking forward to it!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks guy. To PSN I go.

subversus said:
The Darkness had the most intense scene this generation and in the history of videogames. The game was weak on the gameplay side but as interactive experience it gives me hope for the medium. I was shocked by how good it was and I was slouching through it on PS3.

I wonder why pretty much nobody has balls to roll out such intense scenes in SP except Rockstar and some other devs. I think it has more to do with devs mentality than publisher's pressure. They need to remember that now they have tools that allow them to strenghten other aspects of entertainment.

But gameplay should still be the king.

All that said I don't know if Digital Extremes have it.

Hope they somehow hire the story-writer from Starbreeze/The darkness 1.

mil6es

GOD FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

but no starbreeze means its doomed in my books.

I think starbreeze are what made the game epic for me, (just like the riddick games) they know how to do epic, they know how to do tension and they know how to do above all atmosphere!!!!!

Thats what made the game a cut above the rest despite the sometimes dodgy game play elements( do I have to destroy EVERY light I see)

yeah the jenny murder scene was.....wow they did that....bravo

EDIT

yeah just saw the screen shot, cell-shaded equals WTF in my books

-PXG-

Wait a second...... I just thought of something.

Digital Extremes has worked on a few games that used the Unreal Engine. UT 2K4, Bioshock and Bioshock 2. Now, this could be a stretch, but the screenshot shown sort of reminds me of Borderlands, which also ran on the UE. So, is it possible that the Darkness II is running on Unreal as well?

Haunted

-PXG- said:
Wait a second...... I just thought of something.

Digital Extremes has worked on a few games that used the Unreal Engine. UT 2K4, Bioshock and Bioshock 2. Now, this could be a stretch, but the screenshot shown sort of reminds me of Borderlands, which also ran on the UE. So, is it possible that the Darkness II is running on Unreal as well?
Are you being ironic? I honestly can't tell.

It'll obviously be UE, it's Digital Extremes.

Karram

Even though Starbreeze aren't the ones developing the game it is still better than nothing. The Darkness 1 was one of the most memorable games this gen.

Haunted

SolidSnakex said:
He was probably asking because Dark Sector actually used an original engine even though it looked a lot like UE3.
Oh, I actually wasn't aware of that. I basically know Digital Extremes as a close Epic Games collaborator since... pretty much forever, I didn't know they made their own engine for Dark Sector. My apologies PXG!

It'll either be UE3 or this Evolution Engine, I'm sure.

Kritz

Banned
Kind... of want?

I really enjoyed the first for what it was, and it fufilled my desire at the time to play a mass murdering gangster with giant mind controlling death-eels coming out of my back that could spear into people and then throw its lifeless corpse into its temporarily living companions.

On the other hand, that screenshot has no place in 2011 and the description in the OP kinda reminds me of the time I accidentally masturbated into a tissue that I'd used not one hour before to crush a spider on my wall with.

That is to say,

Kind... of want?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I thought the first one was pretty undercooked. It had some brilliant parts though. I'll keep an eye on this.

GitarooMan said:
I've wanted this forever, and Dark Sector was decent, so I have cautious optimism. But I wonder if they can capture that unique feeling the first had. There was something cool about riding the subways and the somewhat laid back pace.
Yeah it had a distinct style with its world building, calm moments, run down environments, brooding atmosphere, harsh brutality, loading monologues, hub worlds and the wacky characters in them. I hope that's still an integral part of the game's DNA or I might be bugging out.

And nooo, I don't want to go to hell. :(
Probably the worst part of first game.

shuyin_

Banned
1. No Starbreeze? Are they really working on Syndicate reboot?
2. Why are publishers so fucking stupid? Why would they think i'd buy their 'game part 2' on pc if i couldn't play part 1, especially if it's a story centric game.

dyergram

Looks ok weird choice of screen shot, no ww1 crap and im in. Also hopefully this means the star breeze syndicate rumour is true.

ultron87

As long as impaling guys on your giant demon tentacle is as entertaining as it was in the first game I am totally in.

Dennis

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
I am ready
But is your body?

Also, I am quite surprised at all the praise for the first game. I remember the reception being rather lukewarm for that game.

kadotsu

Banned
Fall 2011? Against Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Batman AC, XCOM, Mass Effect 3, COD: MW 3, Rage and Spec Ops. I bet this kinda vanilla FPS will sell gangbusters. Please push it to 2012. The fall is too crowded. Even if half of the games coming out would be delayed to 2012 .

Xater

LM4sure said:
The first one really didn't click with me, but I'll bit. It was a good premise, just executed poorly.

The only real problem I had with the first game was that you as the player became too powerful. The stuff they throw at you in the endgame is just a joke, and I am not speaking about end sequence. I know full well that that part was supposed to work that way.

faridmon

kadotsu said:
Fall 2011? Against Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Batman AC, XCOM, Mass Effect 3, COD: MW 3, Rage and Spec Ops. I bet this kinda vanilla FPS will sell gangbusters. Please push it to 2012. The fall is to crowded. Even if half of the games coming out would be delayed to 2012 .
Don't forget the best one of all: Brink.

Top Bottom