• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II announced (Digital Extremes)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Feindflug said:
Have you played the PS3 version of the first game? Because the 360 version looks great, especially the IQ for a console game is top-notch.
Yeah I got 360 near release. It didn't impress me that much visually, but I absolutely adored the story and later on in the game, the gameplay.

MjFrancis

JoeBoy101 said:
11251-darkness_super.jpg

An inspired scene to play in the game, IMHO.
This semi-boring but just interesting enough sequence from The Darkness made Jenny's final scene all the more impressive. I was pissed off that I couldn't do anything about it, and since the narrative didn't pretend to be so grandiose as Bioshock did with uniting Andrew Ryan with his golf club, it's distinctly - personal. It defines the game's atmosphere. I've never felt such a complete vendetta against my digital foes before that pairing of scenes. Yes, it's been done in so many movies before, where you see such a great relationship that's begging to be soured for the plot to move forward, but not in any other video game that I can recall. Made even better since it was a FPS, and you're essentially role-playing Jackie's (mis)adventures.

And yes, let's have a PC port of the first if that's feasible.

dream

JoeBoy101 said:
11251-darkness_super.jpg

An inspired scene to play in the game, IMHO.

The followup to that is still one of the most memorable things I've experienced in a game...

I'm happy there's a sequel but I gotta wonder what Starbreeze is up to if they're not working on this.

The Darkness is one of my favorite games this gen (and yes I'm aware of the flaws in the gameplay mechanics, although it's fun to impale enemies and throw them around, sue me!).

However, the Darkness and Riddick games share so much in presentation & gameplay design that it's hard for me to imagine that Darkness 2 from a studio other than Starbreeze will be good. At least not in the aspects for why so many people like The Darkness.

btw, in both cases the franchise itself doesn't mean anything to me. This is one of the cases in which I basically want a sequel to the game, not a sequel to the IP.

but let's wait and see...

coldvein

Banned
wait a second, the first one was actually GOOD? my local pawn shop has like five copies, maybe i'll pick this up...

RedSwirl

I just hope this follows the same structure as the first game. The semi open world and interactive story were basically what made that game.

My favorite part was actually
the Big Bad begging you not to kill him like Frank in Scarface. I just sat there right up until the end when his dialogue ran out.

diffusionx

Gold Member
coldvein said:
wait a second, the first one was actually GOOD? my local pawn shop has like five copies, maybe i'll pick this up...

I played it when it came out, and it was okay. The big problem was Starbreeze re-used their Riddick structure and what worked in a small enclosed prison made no sense in New York City... city blocks with 4 people walking around kind of ruined the atmosphere.

And the last level was janky as fuck. Other than that, it was a decent 7/10 game I would say. Of course, this was in 2007.

LQX

Loved the first game. That moment with your girlfriend was a gem. Also loved how accurate the subway was.

Feindflug said:
Have you played the PS3 version of the first game? Because the 360 version looks great, especially the IQ for a console game is top-notch.

I guess the only good side about the PS3 version was the full versions of all movies that you can watch on TV! My first experience into Sonny Chiba's Street Fighter! :D

Pretty exciting news. Dark Sector looked great, and was pretty fun. The Darkness was amazing and unfairly overlooked as story based game.

I don't know how this 'quad-wielding' is going to work. I also kind of wish they went with a different visual style (maybe Madworld black and white).

sflufan

Banned
dream said:
I'm happy there's a sequel but I gotta wonder what Starbreeze is up to if they're not working on this.

As I stated previously in the thread, Starbreeze is rumored to be working on a "Syndicate" game for EA.

TheOddOne

canadian crowe said:
I don't know how this 'quad-wielding' is going to work. I also kind of wish they went with a different visual style (maybe Madworld black and white).
HELL NO.

I like it the way it is, spruce it up with new inviroments and themes and I'm good.

Zeliard

Probably the only good single-player shooter to come out of consoles this gen, and it was still underrated.

Can't say I care much for this one without Starbreeze's involvement, even if it is seeing a PC release, but we'll see what Digital Extremes can do with it.

I'm interested in seeing how this shapes up. The original was one of my favourite "experiences" this generation. I hope the story and atmosphere live up to its standards!

At the same time, I'm glad Starbreeze aren't working on this. It means they must be tackling something new. I'm hoping those Syndicate rumours turn out to be true. Also, remember that a number of senior Starbreeze developers are now at Machinegames working on something using id Tech 5.

Good news all round!

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Zenith said:
Where the hell is Starbreeze's new Syndicate game? Is that really all they've been working on or have they helped out on other projects?
It's due out in the fall apparently.

AppleMIX said:
So why exactly is Starbreeze not working on this?
They had their hands full with two projects — Bourne and Syndicate — when 2K was looking for developers.

JoeBoy101

MjFrancis said:
This semi-boring but just interesting enough sequence from The Darkness made Jenny's final scene all the more impressive. I was pissed off that I couldn't do anything about it, and since the narrative didn't pretend to be so grandiose as Bioshock did with uniting Andrew Ryan with his golf club, it's distinctly - personal. It defines the game's atmosphere. I've never felt such a complete vendetta against my digital foes before that pairing of scenes. Yes, it's been done in so many movies before, where you see such a great relationship that's begging to be soured for the plot to move forward, but not in any other video game that I can recall. Made even better since it was a FPS, and you're essentially role-playing Jackie's (mis)adventures.

And yes, let's have a PC port of the first if that's feasible.

Agreed on the first and second points.

onken

Darklord said:
The original was an amazing game but finished in a way where you didn't need or want a sequel. Also, not being developed by Starbreeze either? It'll probably be an ok shooter with powers.
Inclined to agree but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Zeliard said:
Probably the only good single-player shooter to come out of consoles this gen, and it was still underrated.

Can't say I care much for this one without Starbreeze's involvement, even if it is seeing a PC release, but we'll see what Digital Extremes can do with it.

Get the fuck out of here with this shit.

This will be the first non-port job since Dark Sector for these guys. I really hope they don't fuck it up, as the first is near and dear to my heart.

Barakov

I'm happy this is coming but Digital Extremes instead of Starbreeze developing this definitely gives me pause.

Acid08

Banned
HOLY FUCK.

My favorite shooter of this generation is getting a sequel I am fucking HYPED. Too bad Starbreeze isn't making it though.

dreamfall

I'm really excited about a sequel, but no Starbreeze?! Damn! Still, Estacado is always intriguing and Silvestri seems really into it!

LaneDS

Definitely didn't expect a sequel, but am guardedly optimistic about the idea of one existing. Enjoyed The Darkness quite a bit despite lots of apparent flaws.

Also agreed on Mike Patton... his voicework added so much to the original. The actor that voiced Jackie (can't remember his name) also did a great job. Hopefully DE knows how to keep what worked and skip what didn't.

Jo-El

Why bother without Starbreeze? This is like getting a direct to video sequel to a film I really enjoyed. Maybe Digital Extremes will surprise us, but I don't have much hope :/

Pimpbaa

Hopefully they can make a longer game than Starbreeze. Starbreeze makes some pretty decent games, but they are always way too short.

i'll give DE a chance, but only if:

-tv's and all the cool shows stay. piss off, that was a cool feature.
-and to broaden the previous point- the somewhat believable environment and npc's stay.
-the (personal opinion) good lighting stays.
-mike patton voices again. (he said he loved doing it and wants to do more, so it's a shoe-in)
-
let us go to that hell realm again like in the first one.
-finishing moves stay.

*i'd like them to just ditch the MP idea this time around so they can focus on SP, but it's not a deal breaker.

Kolgar

Please do this justice, Digital Extremes.

Looking back, The Darkness is one of my favorite game experiences for this or any generation.

I yearn to return to that bleak and atmospheric game world.

njean777

Will be tracking, if they can make a scene as memorable as the girlfriend scene from the first one I will be very happy. The dark one btw.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool, the first game was decent. The combat was so-so, but I liked the unconvential, surreal stuff like watching TV with your girlfriend. Lack of Starbreeze is a disappointment, though, hopefully we'll hear something from them soon.

Dark Sector was a fun game guys.

I'm not worried in that regard, after all The Darkness strentgh wasn't in his gameplay.

Let's see if they can capture the awesome narrative and plot of the first one.That's where I'm worried (did you played Dark Sector? Is probably one of the game with a more disjunctive narrative ever, it just dosn't make sense....)

I played through Dark Sector 3 times and I never knew the main character's name (or anyone else for that matter , I thinkthere was an Ivan in there somewhere).

Relaxed Muscle said:
Dark Sector was a fun game guys.

I'm not worried in that regard, after all The Darkness strentgh wasn't in his gameplay.

Let's see if they can capture the awesome narrative and plot of the first one.That's where I'm worried (did you played Dark Sector? Is probably one of the game with a more disjunctive narrative ever, it just dosn't make sense....)

Yeah, Dark Sector was awesome and DE did the great multiplayer in Bioshock 2. i just hope it looks more visually distinctive than The Darkness 1.

Top Bottom