• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II announced (Digital Extremes)

~Kinggi~

Banned
I actually really liked Dark Sector and was one of the guys kinda scratching their head that people were calling it total shit and wouldnt buy it for the 4$ price it was selling for on Amazon. It was literally 4$.

Like others have said if the new Darkness can keep going the strong narrative feel like the first one ill probably love it just as much.

Couple things though. Darkness very much followed the Starbreeze 'Riddick' style of character interaction and gameplay, which i think was one of the reasons it worked so well. They better copy that.

Also, the music was amazing in the Darkness and one of the reasons the atmosphere worked so well. The world felt alive to me. I hope they get Gustaf back for the next one.

Lunchbox

Banned
that first game was cool as a summer game, they needed to do more with the snake tentacles though

bulletstorm's whip is like an evolved spiritual successor to that mechanic.

that tv scene and then
killing her while you watched with nothing to do about it
was amazing

John

~Kinggi~ said:
Also, the music was amazing in the Darkness and one of the reasons the atmosphere worked so well. The world felt alive to me. I hope they get Gustaf back for the next one.
i doubt that'll happen, gustaf is starbreeze's in-house audio head. : (

Wiggum2007

Lunchbox said:
that first game was cool as a summer game, they needed to do more with the snake testicles though

bulletstorm's whip is like a spiritual successor to that mechanic

Wait which version was this?

canadian crowe said:
Even the original Darkness has multiplayer. It died pretty fast, but was fun (if not a little laggy)

i know. check my previous post.

i'm not too keen on tacked-on multiplayer that takes focus/time/money away from the singleplayer experience. ken levine sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i know. check my previous post.

i'm not too keen on tacked-on multiplayer that takes focus/time/money away from the singleplayer experience. ken levine sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

I agree about the tacked on multi. I never ever bother with it. I think I played about 2 rounds of Dead Space 2 and put it away.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's just one screen, but I'm not really digging the art direction shown there, I much preferred the more realistic look of the first game.

The%20Darkness%20-%20Dead%20Bloke.jpg

Digital Extremes is not up to this, Starbreeze are an ace studio, DE is C or D level.

Sinatar said:
It's just one screen, but I'm not really digging the art direction shown there, I much preferred the more realistic look of the first game.

http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/Screenshots/TheDarkness/The%20Darkness%20-%20Dead%20Bloke.jpg[IMG]

Digital Extremes is not up to this, Starbreeze are an ace studio, DE is C or D level.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that looks pretty shitty actually.

Oneself

You guys shouldn't worry, Digital Extremes are pretty good technically.. it's gonna look better than the 1st game for sure.

1stStrike

Banned
I might have to re-purchase the first game and give it another go. I got near the end, but I never got around to finishing it. I just stopped playing it one day and never went back to it... then eventually sold it.

Lunchbox said:
that tv scene and then
killing her while you watched with nothing to do about it
was amazing

Yeah seriously. It was amazing, I actually felt a geniune hate and disgust for that mafiaso after that.

And the ending is still one of the best Ive seen this gen. It was all written top-notch.

~Kinggi~

Banned
John said:
i doubt that'll happen, gustaf is starbreeze's in-house audio head. : (
oh shit, lol that's a bit of a revelation for me. Damn Starbreeze cant let that glorious talent go to waste!

:(

a.wd

Booooooooooooooom!!!!!

*No Starbreeze* Well its a pretty awesome template that they are working on and it should be hard to fuck it up with the source material we have

*Shell shaded* Well as long as they continue to be imaginative and don't fall back on crappy graphics then this should ok.....

hopeful? slightly....

Was it not just in October there were right issues? Had alot of development already happened at that point?
Seems like a crazy quick turn-around if not.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Naked Prime said:
I played through Dark Sector 3 times and I never knew the main character's name (or anyone else for that matter , I thinkthere was an Ivan in there somewhere).

Trent something. I think.

Let's hope they put in some actual animations for the faces this time, and some decent animations all around. The Darkness had really poor animations. It made Oblivion's animations look like the best ever.

EDIT: What's with all the "no Starbreeze?" posts? We've known about this for like 2 years now.

ArjanN

Zeouterlimits said:
Was it not just in October there were right issues? Had alot of development already happened at that point?
Seems like a crazy quick turn-around if not.

Are you sure you're thinking about the same game? I don't remember anything about right issues.

LaneDS

Now I'll buy this if for nothing else to hear Patton's crazy voicework as The Darkness. I hope they get Jackie's VA back too. Can't remember the actor's name, but he did a great job.

shagg_187 said:

Indeed

Every time my wife and I watch Fringe, I think, "hey it's Jackie!" then I explain to her he was in The Darkness.

FUCKING STOKED THAT MIKE PATTON IS BACK!!!

And yeah, I'm one of those folks who still believe in Digital Extremes untapped talent. I dug Dark Sector quite alot.

I'M HYPED!!!

John

richisawesome said:
Patton excellence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRxQk

And on the complete other side of the scale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blE7jOssfqU

man's a fucking god. oh, and the soundtrack to Crank 2 was superb - wish he could do a few game soundtracks.
it's old hat to post litany iv to show patton off, but hey. it's that good.

but that's just the most novel tune on the album. his improv with the combo and especially with zorn on six litanies is just.... fuck.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Sinatar said:

The%20Darkness%20-%20Dead%20Bloke.jpg

Digital Extremes is not up to this, Starbreeze are an ace studio, DE is C or D level.

You do realize that screen is from the first game, right?

MrHicks

Banned
WTF why didn't starbreeze make this???
i thought all these years it was them who were working on it

digital extremes uuuuuuuugh

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
BladeRunner12 said:
Here's a "Quad Wielding" Trailer.

Shows us the mechanics of this feature. I don't think it's been posted here yet?
Damn that was pretty awesome. Really like the attention they're putting to cutting dudes up.

At press events, people have mentioned how intuitive the controls are at controlling the tentacles in sync with Jackie. Let's hope DE can pull this off.

Deadbeat

Banned
canadian crowe said:
DE did the great multiplayer in Bioshock 2.
The multiplayer felt rushed. But what I played felt like if it only had more time it could have been something really amazing. Didnt they get less than a year to crank it out?

Top Bottom